COEWR2587
Topic Author

Continental & Newark Airport.

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:16 am

Does anyone know why at Terminal C, only one of three gate areas (the 100's) has the "new" terminal? Does CO have any planes to update the other 2 gate areas. The new one is much nicer than the other ones, and I think it's time to be updated. Like look at this pic, the section all the way to the right is constructed newer than the other two.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Y. Jones

Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

dtwclipper

RE: Continental & Newark Airport.

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:20 am

It is my understanding that construction on the CO terminal was begun by PE, just shortly before CO took them over. I belive two of the three concourses were completed at the same time, and the international area later.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

tommy767

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:35 am

Terminal C had its first two concourses (the older looking ones) completed in 1988. At first no airline presented commitment at first until continental decided to establish a hub. The newer section, C-3 was completed in 2002.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

avek00

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:50 am

It's highly unlikely that CO will devote scarce capex funds to improving the still-decent concourses of the EWR Global Gateway anytime soon.
Live life to the fullest.

LUV4JFK

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:50 am

If I remember correctly, before that new terminal was built, I believe it only had 2 or 3 gates and I think it was just for Continental Express, before the Express Jets came around. With continued expansion at EWR, they had no choice but to expand. Now those gates can house multiple 777's. As far as the other gates (70-115), I wonder if there is room to expand. They might need room for the taxiways. I'm not sure how close it is, but it could be a possibility.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

FoxBravo

Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:22 am

All three of the concourses in Terminal C are actually quite nice and new on the inside. Look at the decrepit Terminals A and B, then tell me which needs updating!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

navega

Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:29 pm

FoxBravo,

Terminal B is quite nice and renovated. Have you been
there???

STT757

Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:47 pm

The two concourses C-1 and C-3 are from 1988 and are still quite modern and airy on the inside, high ceilings with light from above, moving sidewalks and new jetbridges at almost gate, and the best concessions and food offerings of any Terminal in the region.

When the Central Terminal area opened in '72/'73 only two terminals were complete, A and B. C was completed a few years later but lay empty except for a two gate stub concourse which is where C-3 is located today. That two gate stub concourse acted as EWR's International arrivals facility until Eastern's bankruptcy in 1989 made the B-3 concourse in Terminal B available for conversion, then the two gate stub concourse at Terminal C was used by CO domestic departures (mostly A300s). I flew out of those gates on several occasions mostly to Orlando.

PeoplExpress entered into agreement with the PA to occupy the vacant Terminal C, they also invested Millions into a renovation prior to it's opening to facilitate more of a hub operation. They tore down the two circular Concourses which were built like those at Terminals A and B and replaced them with two linear concourses which could handle twice as many flights and facilitate easy connections. CO took over the project when they took over PeoplExpress, it opened in late '88.

If you want to see an excellent aerial photo of Terminal C during the final days of the renovation prior to CO's occupying in 1988 check out the book "Above NY", it's a big photo book at Barnes and Noble and shows the Terminal under construction with a CO 747 in Hybrid PE colors parked at the stub International Arrivals facility with construction finishing up in the back ground.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos