corey07850

Non-Rev With A Dog?

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Just wondering for all the airline employees out there that fly standby... Have you ever flown with a dog as cargo (not a dog on board). What are the procedures for this? Do you have to pay extra as if you were a paying customer??

Any help is appreciated...Thanks guys!

m404

RE: Non-Rev With A Dog?

Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:17 pm

That would depend on your pass agreements. I usually take my pup on board as she's under 15 pounds which seems to be the limit. I use the airline approved carry on bag that is very convenient. The charge for this is usually less than that for bin passage and far less nerve wracking. I assume yours is too big for this. I'd call the individual pass departments for a ruling if it's not in your non-rev guide. Pay attention to any blackout periods caused by temperature extremes at any airport you transit. That can put the Kibosh on your plans real quick.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

eyesinthesky

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:09 am

There was a time that the non-rev pax didnt make it on the flight but the pooch flew transatlantic with no owner at the destination to pick him up. My manager took the dog home and kept it until the non-rev made it the following day!

StarCruiser

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:33 pm

I'm sorry, but I think it's idiotic to non-rev with a dog in tow. It is totally irresponsible. If you love your dog leave him at home or with some friends. Non-rev travel isn't a sure thing and just who is supposed to care for your dog if you don't make the flight? I would never subject my dog to such a situation. It's not fair to him, not to mention the worry you would have about his having adequate food and water not to mention exercise if you don't make the same flight. Think, dude!

corey07850

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:01 am

I would never subject my dog to such a situation. It's not fair to him, not to mention the worry you would have about his having adequate food and water not to mention exercise if you don't make the same flight.

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with what goes on when an animal is traveling as cargo... Dogs are constantly monitored with food and water, and even walked frequently, especially before flight. It's not like they sit in a cage in the corner of the cargo area for hours waiting to make a flight.

luv2fly

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:06 am

Corey07850

If that is such truth then why do so many die each year while being transported!
You can cut the irony with a knife