adriaticus

"The Terminal"

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:39 am

I just got off a MEX-SCL flight, operated on LA's metal (I knew I should have waited to fly on AM's metal, but oh-oh...). On the IFE, they are showing "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks (a stranded traveler from Slavic origin) and Catherine Zeta-Jones as a UA F/A ( Love!!)

The plot is food for thoughts: a guy who cannot enter the US, nor leave the US, so he is stranded in a connections terminal for several months due to a weird political situation: his passport was cancelled by his (un-)government while he was flying, and the US State Department cancelled his visa likewise... Surreal, but as a frequent traveler I found myslef chuckling at the situations several times...

Have any more fellow a.netters seen it? The question is: would a situation like this be possible? I don't see it happening without the media making a big scandal out of it and human rights watchdogs getting the guy out in two days...

Cheers from SCL!

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

aa757first

RE: "The Terminal"

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:41 am

Try a search. It is a true story, except an Iranian man was stuck in CDG. I believe he still lives there.

AAndrew

OB1504

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:42 am

Actually the movie is based on the story of a man who has lived in CDG for 14 years. I'd go into more detail but someone should've already posted with the goodies by now.

Good day!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

YYZUla

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:03 am

Yeah it is based on a true story. From what I read is that the guy is still there. He had the opportunity to leave but he didn't a while back. He got something like 100 thousand dollars for his story.

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:06 am

wow, 100,000$$ to spend on in an airport  Nuts
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

ozglobal

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:30 am

I have another question relating to the movie: Why do Hollywood always feel the need to transplant intresting historical scenarios like this into a domestic US context? Surely educated American audiences would enjoy not only the appeal of the plot, but also the stimulation of the different cultural and geographical settings (not to metion the fedelity to history (cf. U571 and others))? Is this a sort of 'dumming down'?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:34 am

Why do Hollywood always feel the need to transplant intresting historical scenarios like this into a domestic US context?

Because I HIGHLY doubt that this was based on a true story. There is NO WAY some poor guy has been living in CDG for 14 years..!!! Please... Be real. It's a movie, it's not based on fact.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

ozglobal

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:40 am

EMBQA,

Please do some research before expressing such certainty.

Cheers,

OzGlobal

martinairyyz

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 am

While watching and studying the movie carefully, The passport he was using in actually a Bulgaria passport  Laugh out loud Good movie, although is a bit hard knowing what I've gone through..... almost the same as that guy.
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:50 am

I have.. a big ZERO. The only thing I found to be 'fact based' was that the costume designers took an actual UAL Flight Attendent uniform and altered it slightly for the movie.

Now, if you have more... provide a link.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Starlionblue

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:55 am

(not to metion the fedelity to history (cf. U571 and others))?

Do you mean that U571 was faithful to fact? Hmmm... Let's start with the fact that WWII subs could not fire torpedoes (if they expected to hit anything) while submerged below periscope depth...

Because I HIGHLY doubt that this was based on a true story. There is NO WAY some poor guy has been living in CDG for 14 years..!!! Please... Be real. It's a movie, it's not based on fact.

It is, in fact, true... http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/airport.htm is just one account.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

JAXpax

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:56 am

And I thought EMBQA was NEVER wrong!

Check this link:
http://www.geektimes.com/michael/culture/reality/merhan-nasseri/stranded.html

While an unofficial site, it does contain the article from the December 25, 1997 edition of the Boston Globe on Mr. Merhan Karimi Nasseri, who had been in CDG since 1988 at the time of publishing.

SATL382G

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:57 am

I haven't seen "The Terminal" but Hollywood changing a European story into an American one for the US audience is a common occurence. The writing, jokes, etc just play better that way. If it had been written as a European story it probably would have been seen as a drama or "artsy" film and then lost the mass appeal. Tom Hanks probably would not have been cast and as a result it would have become a whole different movie. Is Tom Hanks a big box office draw in France? I know Jerry Lewis was, but he wasn't nearly as a big a draw in the US. It's all marketing...

Some other examples: All in the Family, Sanford & Son... come to mind and there are many others that I can't think of at the moment

BTW: The movie U571 was not a true story....

I could go on about how Americans are perceived by others as a result of American media and how unaware of that Americans are but that would be another thread. I had a Scottish secretary once who "knew" all Americans were rich and greedy because that's how they acted on "DALLAS"....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ozglobal

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:59 am

http://web.mid-day.com/entertainment/englishmoviesreview/2004/september/93080.htm

http://www.sover.net/~ozus/terminal.htm

http://www.critic.co.nz/showfeature.php?id=2145

After 5 seconds, these came up......

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:03 am

It is, in fact, true...

And because it's on 'Snopes' I should take it as fact..? I don't think so. It's funny because if you go to 'The Terminal' movie web site, they talk about how they made the set, how they made the uniforms, the actors,..on and on, but no mention at any time of it being loosely fact based.

JAXpax

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:06 am

Maybe you'll trust these sources then, esteemed EMBQA:

"16 Years on an Airport Bench, and 15 minutes of Fame." By: Smith, Craig S.. New York Times, 8/21/2004, Vol. 153 Issue 52948, pA4

"The true story that inspired 'The Terminal'" USA Today, 06/18/2004

"11 Year Caged in an Airport; Now He Fears to Fly." By: Daley, Suzanne. New York Times, 09/27/99, Vol. 149 Issue 51658, pA4

"The man without a country resides at Charles de Gaulle." (cover story) By: Valente, Judith. Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition, 10/7/94, Vol. 224 Issue 69, pA1

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:10 am

EASY people.. I didn't kick puppy dog.

You gave me some better links to work with and indeed I stand corrected.

Geez, JAX you where the ONLY one that provided a solid, fact based link to the story. You need to remember, I'm an Inspector, I need facts and substantiating data...not just hear say and weak information.

[Edited 2004-11-14 18:29:02]

kanebear

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:53 am

OT: @EMBQA, if you're inside and ten people say the sky is blue outside do you also tell them they're wrong unless they can prove it?

Back on topic : Has anyone seen/met the person in question? As I understand it he was in transit to the UK and the UK has now agreed to allow him in but he refuses to go unless he's extended citizenship?

EMBQA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:37 am

Hey Kaenbaer-

The mechanic that tightened the bolt that holds the wing on your airplane 'told me' it's tight...so I guess it is...Right..? Also, on accredited evidence I know the sky is blue, so I would not question it. JAX was the first one that gave a link to accredited news sources (NY Times, WSJ, USA Today), once I read what he linked me to, I addmited that I stood corrected once reading the accredited evidance. 'Snopes' is far from accredited.

[Edited 2004-11-14 19:52:36]

Starlionblue

Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:24 am

I agree that Snopes is far from respectable but I was lazy and it was the first link that popped up  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ozglobal

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:18 am

Re:U571 My point was that this was another example of Hollywood's unnecessary distortion of historical facts to achieve US mass appeal. The film was based on the historically important and daring recovery of the enigma machine from a German U-boat: with one key modification: the heros were British, not American; the US was not even in the war then. See link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/774427.stm

SATL382G Re: Telling "The Termnial" as 'a European story', I'm not sure what you mean. Tom Hanks plays a European of some fictious origin in the film (with a strong accent). Yes, he is a well respected actor here in France who draws crowds. To illustrate my point, and counter the suggestion that US produced films set in Europe are less appealing to US audiences, take the success of the Bourne Identity and even greater successs of the sequel: both almost entirely set in Europe.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bournesupremacy.htm

EMBQA: Fair point. I'll try to use more compelling sources.

kanebear

Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:09 pm

@Ozglobal : I believe what SATL382G meant was that the story was "Americanized" so as to make it more palletable to US audiences. Thus, the origin of the traveler was shifted from Iranian to European,his final destination was changed from the UK to the US and he was stuck in JFK rather than CDG. I suppose this is done to make the main character easier to identify with. I personally don't see why the changes were made but can believe that middle america would more easily sympathise with an eastern european than an iranian.

@EMBQA : I fully understand the need to verify with 'legitimate' resources and not accepting someones' word for it. I work in the food industry and there's very few more highly regulated industries. We're under constant federal inspection 100% of the time during operations. The USDA doesn't take OUR word for it either.  Smile Mind you that's work and this is a-net. I'm willing to suspend belief and take someone's word for it here as it's not life or death.  Big grin

Beaucaire

Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:50 pm

There was a palestinian passenger living at Prague airport for several months also,until some warm-hearted official provided him with temporary papers allowing him to leave ( to France ). Kafka could't have invented worse scenarios..!
These are typical examples of officials without heart,brain and completely detached from reality who deny passengers without legal papers entry or transit to their final destination.
Nothing against border-police employees or immigration officials- every airport needs them.But there is a fine line between outright human stupidity ,ignorance and detachment from reality.It seems in the real case of the Iranian in Paris or the palestinian in Prague these lines have been passed .
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

jonathan-l

Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:03 pm

The guy in CDG 1, although he lives there, is not blocked between airside and customs like Tom Hanks in the movie. He actually wanders around in the Boutiquaire zone (ground floor with shops) and may enter and exit the terminal as he wishes, contrary to what some people think.

lamyl_hhlco

Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:38 pm

I've seen a documentary about him a long time ago on the french Tv . When i saw the trailer of this movie ..I thought about him right away ,but i too don't like when a true story is distorted...it doesnt give anymore credit to the movie .
And guys you really need to read out and check whats going on out of the US ...I mean seriously !

quebecair727

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:02 pm

As some of you already know -and those who don't now will know- most of the movie was shot in Montreal's Mirabel airport (YMX). It thus becomes a very interesting movie to watch as YMX is now closed to all passenger traffic leaving only cargo planes. So, for those of you who never had the chance (some would say bad luck) to see YMX, here is your last chance.

qqflyboy

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:41 am

"The Terminal" was part of AA's domestic IFE line-up last month and I am sure it is still showing in international markets. However, there was a short time in the beiginning of last month where we were told to stop showing the movie until a newly edited version could be obtained. Apparently some flight attendants took offense to the comment that was along the lines of, "Why do you think flight attendants are always smiling? They have sex in every city they layover in." The majority of the flight attendants I worked with said they thought it was hillarious. As a flight attendant, I agree. If only it were true...
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AMS

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:14 am

I saw the movie a couple of Weeks ago on my ANA flight from LHR to Tokyo Narita!. It was such a good movie!,Also it was fun to see the people working for U.S immigrations, since many of the actions also happen in real life!

Regards,
AMS

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:37 am

"The Terminal" was part of AA's domestic IFE line-up last month and I am sure it is still showing in international markets. However, there was a short time in the beiginning of last month where we were told to stop showing the movie until a newly edited version could be obtained. Apparently some flight attendants took offense to the comment that was along the lines of, "Why do you think flight attendants are always smiling? They have sex in every city they layover in." The majority of the flight attendants I worked with said they thought it was hillarious. As a flight attendant, I agree. If only it were true...

But that line was still in there towards the end of the month on AA JFK->LHR... Anyway as you say if anyone is offended by that line they need to get a life...

nonrevman

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:45 am

The situation that Tom Hank's character was in would not occur here in the US. Here are the plot holes I found:

(1) In the US airports, you go straight down an empty hallway to passport control. Then, it is straight to customs and then you are "in" the US. This means there may be a restroom to use, but that will be it. I have not once encountered shops, newstands, restaurants, etc. until after clearing passport control and customs. There is no real waiting area for such a stranded passenger with access to anything.

(2) The character that Tom Hanks plays is on the flight from the fictitious country of Khrakozia or whatever it was. If the government collapsed in midflight, wouldn't there be other people in the exact same situation on the flight? I find it hard to believe that he is the only Khrakozian on the flight from Khrakovia. There would be others.

(3) As Adriaticus pointed out, it would be a media spectacle. Something would have to be done quickly about the situation.

AADC10

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:13 am

OzGlobal said:

I have another question relating to the movie: Why do Hollywood always feel the need to transplant intresting historical scenarios like this into a domestic US context? Surely educated American audiences would enjoy not only the appeal of the plot, but also the stimulation of the different cultural and geographical settings (not to metion the fedelity to history (cf. U571 and others))? Is this a sort of 'dumming down'?

The concept of "The Terminal" was difficult to sell to the American public under any condition (it was mediocre at the box office) but it is the only audience that is large enough to support a film of that cost. Yes, most other countries are more tolerant of stories set in foreign places, at least partly due to Hollywood's cultural imperialism. It is generally believed that fewer than 25% of Americans have seen a foreign film and a substantial number of them were born in foreign countries themselves.

There was a 1993 French film, "Tombes du Ciel" (English title: Lost in Transit) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108359/ about people stranded at CDG that I have not seen and it is not available on video in the U.S., but it was available on individual tape in First Class on some United flights to Europe. That film was an award winner on the festival circuit but I am not sure if it was ever shown in the U.S. Definitely too foreign for Americans.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:15 am

If such a situation were to occur in the USA, most probably the person would first be checked out to make sure not on any terror or criminal watch list, then either given temporary asylum or transported to a jail to await a return to his/her home country.

ozglobal

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:26 am

Kanebear: You re-inforce my point: "dumbing-down". Unfortunately, the more Hollywood does this, the less 'palatable' anything different is. In fact, even the term "foreign" is rarely used in English outside the US these days due to its slightly pejorative or xenophobic connotations. Terms like "international", "world movies" or "world music" are more common.

Still waiting to hear from someone as to why the Bourne Identity / Supremacy was such a box office hit if European set films have less American mass appeal?

aeronuts

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:50 am

Ozglobal, good point, Bourne Identity/Supremacy was a hit, but didn't get the numbers that Hollywood expect for a star like Tom Hank (not that Tom has been getting good numbers in his last couple of films - but that's another topic).

American like spies vs spies (MAD), especially international spying - because we never spy on ourselves (if you believe in that - I have some bridges to sell to you), and Hollywood reinforces that stereotype, Bourne and the grand daddy of them all - Bond films, takes place mainly outside the US, because all the bad guy's are mainly outside the US (go figure!).

And from a previous post - European thinks all American are like characters from "Dallas" - so the stereotype continues...and worst, the audience wants it.

ozglobal

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:06 am

Aeronuts, interesting observation about the 'bad guys'. However, I can honestly say that I know of noone I've met in Europe who thinks ALL Americans are like "characters from Dallas" (though they may exist). Europeans think of Americans merely as 'people'(all shapes and sizes) who are part of a specific culture. One aspect of that culture, which you have alluded to, is a tendency to see things as purely 'back and white'.

kanebear

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 am

No, this wouldn'tve happened in the US. If he were refused entry he either would've been arrested/detained and moved to a suitable facility, or put back on the next plane to wherever regardless of the state of the government.

aeronuts

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:23 pm

Interesting observations, as most US airport are point of entries, security at airports are pretty tight since 9/11 and chance of a person with "non-status" wandering through the airport is not likely (since most non-EU visitor would need to be finger printed).

But, a twist, there are airports that have elaborate "transit lounges", NRT and HKG are some examples. I can imagine someone living in one of those "transit lounges".

Any a.netters experienced a US "transit lounge"? and how does it compare with the ones in NRT or HKG.

ozglobal

Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:56 pm

US airports are basically configured for domestic traffic, not international. Hence, they are perhaps unique in NOT having a 'transit zone', i.e. an airside zone between security and immigration and the departure gates, full of shops, cafes restaurants, etc. This zone functions almost like 'international waters'. You are not in the country until you clear immigration on arrival and on departure, once having cleared immigration, you are in this transit zone.

By the way, this is another reason why 'porting' the story of the CDG resident to JFK is less compelling.

soups

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:05 pm

my favourite part of the movie is the begging when the airport just opens and everyone is rushing to get 1st in line thats SOOOOOOOO TYPICAL...
there is also a liberian or Sierra Leonne guy stuck at Seoul Airport he wasnt granted permission to enter the country and the immigration wanted to send him back, he destroyed his passport!! and now he is stuck there
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

UN_B732

Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:51 am

Actually, I was under the impression he clears the custom booths, reminiscent of those in T4; but w/o the hallway, and then goes to the shopping area, but can't leave the doors themselves until they are allowed.
-Mr. X
What now?

aerorobnz

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:14 am

saw the movie LHR-SIN on SQ. I thought it was too light-hearted and a feel good type movie. all fluff & no substance. It's a pity considering the real guy's story at CDG - It hardly deserves to be degraded to a chick flick status. That and all the faults you could pick in it.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.