duke

Does Anyone Hold A Patent On The Airplane?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:56 pm

When the Wright Brothers flew the first successful plane, did they take out any patents on it? If so, how long did they last? Other people started building their own pretty quickly after the Wrights. Does anyone technically hold a patent to the airplane today?

caboclo

RE: Does Anyone Hold A Patent On The Airplane?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:07 am

The Wright brothers did try to patent the aircraft, as well as some individual systems, such as ailerons. I don't remember exactly how the story went, but they got into a protracted legal battle, I think with Glenn Curtis. In the end, they put all their resources into the protecting the patent, and didn't continue building airplanes. Therefore, their preimminence in the industry was very short lived.
Freight dogs have more fun

gigneil

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:19 am

Patents expire, so even if someone had the patent to the airplane it would have expired 80 or so years ago.

N

CRPilot

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:23 am

At this point based on aircraft assembly, I would say that many companies hold the patents to the modern aircraft. From the engines to the seats, I'm sure all the different companies have patent all the different parts they provide.
Flying is a privilege!

airgeek12

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:32 pm

Wouldn't that be like impossible seing as how we are using newer technologies all the time to get better performance out of a manufacturer's plane.

I'm assumeing the company than patents that.

I'm not sure though.