soups
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:11 am

British billionaire, Richard Branson, said on Friday that Virgin Group had been approached by Ghana officials about a possible investment in an airline.

"We have been approached by Ghana and there is a possibility we will, at some stage, have talks," Branson told reporters at Britain's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

It’s not clear if Ghana government officials or Ghana International Airlines (GIA), the consortium that takes over Ghana airways, made the approach

GIA was formed purposely to partner with the Republic of Ghana to replace Ghana Airways, an airline that in recent years has been beset by myriad problems.

Under the terms, the government would own 70 per cent stake, with the remaining 30 per cent going to the GIA. The United States-based consortium, promised to start full operations by the end of this year.

Virgin has a history of taking half-stakes in offshore airlines. In September, Virgin took a 49 percent share in a new Nigerian airline, which will fly under the Virgin brand and was set up following the collapse of the African nation's flagship carrier last year.

The government has not given any official statement about the approach to Richard Branson.


[Edited 2004-11-17 17:12:48]
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra
 
arkhem
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:23 pm

RE: Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:08 am

Wonderful! Will the investment possibly be in GIA or in a totally new airline??? Virgin Ghana?
 
Al319
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 1999 9:05 am

RE: Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:43 am

why don't we just have "Virgin Africa" and call it a day
“atom celled…jet propelled”
 
soups
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:41 pm

RE: Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:59 am

would be better to position VS in Ghana, there is less crime coruption and so on However Los airport have better facilities such as airbridges.
maybe make ACC as a hub and conect PX from LOS, ABV, KAN and so on..
most airlines serving west africa HQ are loacted in ACC rather than LOS for many reasons
EK is increasing its ACC flight to daily but lagos stayng 4x a week
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra
 
5NEOO
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:16 am

RE: Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:25 am

maybe make ACC as a hub and conect PX from LOS, ABV, KAN and so on..
most airlines serving west africa HQ are loacted in ACC rather than LOS for many reasons
EK is increasing its ACC flight to daily but lagos stayng 4x a week


Why would I want to connect through ACC to get to Europe?

You know, there is a reason why LOS gets a whole lot more direct service to key European gateways than ACC (and it isn't because we have jet bridges), the population of the city alone is half that of your entire country! So once you've taken a course in Economics 101, let's have a chat....

And am confused about what you mean by "headquarters"? Shouldn't you saying branch office? -- which all the carriers serving this country have over here.



[Edited 2004-11-18 02:27:59]
Admit it, you could care less about the continent Africa!
 
soups
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:41 pm

RE: Ghana Airways- Another Twist (Virgin Atlantic)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:28 pm

5NE00, I disagree with you, Its not the population of the country that affect demand (it does but in a small proportion) Its the buying power of the population
take an example of U.A.E, Lebanon, Ethiopia or even the United kingdom there are more people in Nigeria than all those countries put together..
There are more demand for flights in those countries than Nigeria,
I am sorry to say I am far away from economics 101 I am almost done now with my Bsc in International Business  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Its the buying power not the size of the population, yes the population increase demand but only by a fraction.
Most people in sub-saharan Africa look for the cheapest way to fly... they even fly to london Via dubai...
The cheaper the prices are the more demand there is


[Edited 2004-11-18 15:29:34]
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Who is online