KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

British Aleways At It Again

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01 am

Reported in the Norwegian newspaper VG today, two BA F/As won't be charged with being drunk on duty because of a Finnish mistake. They blew a 0.056 and 0.051 on the breathalyzer, but when a blood sample was taken several hours later, there was no trace of alcohol. As Finnish law don't allow for a breathalyzer test only, they will not be charged. The plane in question left HEL for LHR six hours delayed as a new crew was flown in from London.

Here is a link to the article, but it's Norwegian only:
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=255106
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

geoffm

RE: British Aleways At It Again

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:30 am

I assume the 0.056 is Blood Alcohol Content, which equates to 56mg per 100ml? That's slightly above the average continental drink-drive limit at 50mg (ie illegal to drive), below the UK at 80mg (ie legal to drive), and well below the American at 100mg... assuming I've got my maths right.

What's the drink-fly limit?

(source http://www.britainusa.com/faq/showfaq.asp?SID=470)

Geoff M.

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:39 am

...and if there was no trace after "several" (not more than a couple ill bet - the Finns are VERY hot on these things) hours - then what do you suppose that means? It means that there was no trace in the bloodstream - ie: they were safe to fly. The breathalyser must have been innaccurate - or found a trace, which was measured inncorrectly.

Either way - they were safe.

So where does "British Aleways at it again" come into it? Sensationalist BA -bashing perhaps?

Is it constructive? No.

Is it helpful? No.

Is it doing anyone concerned justice by commenting on hearsay and press reports as fact? No.

So why do it?

You think you are the first to break this massive, earthshattering news that BA are somehow an unsafe airline because a blood test showed up negative?

Grow up pondlife.

What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

schooner

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:45 am

UK limit is 20mg, apparently its the lowest measurable amount. If the limit was any lower they would be picking up naturally generated levels of blood alcohol or words to that effect.

Cheers.
Untouched and Alive

hz747300

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:07 am

It's only Ryanair for me after reading that story. This is scary stuff. I know the amount was trace enough where it could have been from there aftershave lotion, but still, if alcohol was in any part of their system, it's a no-go for me.

Reminds me of that pilot for Serb Air, I saw on the documentary called LAX.

Keep on truckin'...

JeffDCA

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:23 am

It's only Ryanair for me after reading that story.

Don't be so rediculous, it happens just as much with every airline as it does with BA. Yes, that does include US airlines as well, believe it or not!

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.