BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

TSA Rules About Liquor In Airports?

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:32 am

Hey guys.. quick question for ya. I'm planning on bringin' a small bottle of Crown with me to the airport tomorrow to avoid paying the outrageous airport prices. I'm not too worried about getting caught or anything. But I thought I'd cover my bases, does anyone know the regulations/rules about having liquor in the airport terminal? Specifically, if the TSA sees it on the x-ray, are they going to raise a stink about it?

Thanks guys!
Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

acvitale

RE: TSA Rules About Liquor In Airports?

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:34 am

The booze must be un-opened.

Sure hope you do not plan on drinking on board a flight with your on bottle.

It is a good way to get in a lot of trouble.

thegreatchecko

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:40 am

BCA,

You shouldnt have a problem getting it in if its unopened, but drinking onboard could be asking for some trouble.

The FAR's do specify that the only alcohol that can be drank onboard of an aircraft is that served by the operator, ie the airline. At a minimum if you are caught you are going to piss off the FA's, the maximum, probably a fine of some sort.

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:40 am

oh yeah? I've done it before with mini-bottles, no problem. But I didn't get mini's this time. So what would they do to me if they caught me with it? Is there any problem with me drinking it in the terminal?

Steve

thegreatchecko

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:47 am

BCA,

The only thing that I could see about drinking at the airport would be specific municipal laws regarding alcohol in public. Im guessing you wont be stumbling down the terminal taking swings, so I BET nothing will happen, especially if you simply add it to a drink you buy.

On board, the usual FAA penalty for a noncertificate holder is a fine. They can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand.

Realistically, will you get fined if you get caught? I'm no expert, but I havent heard of anyone getting fined for simply bringing a drink on board (now drunkeness is a different story). I guess my advice would be to use your best judgement and see if you can feel out the FA's moods.

Happy Flying!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

ordflyer

Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:48 am

No problems bringing alcohol through the security checkpoint. As for drinking in the terminal or plane (as mentioned above it is not allowed but many people do)...common sense should prevail. As long as you aren't belligerent or causing a scene chances are good that nobody will bother you.

Superfly

Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:53 am

When in flight, ask the FA for a cup of ice. Pour your Crown over the rocks and I am sure they wont notice.
Bring back the Concorde

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:54 am

ok.. sounds good. Thanks again guys!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Steve

jetjeanes

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 am

Whats to keep some nut from takeing PGA or vodka And makeing a molitov Cocktail?? That stuff burns
i can see for 80 miles

jetstar

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:41 am

Ask the FA for some 7 up and make a 7 & 7.

I have seen people bring their own bottles on board and make drinks for themselves. If you bring some and make your drink without the FA seeing you pour the booze, your safe, just don't overdo it and get drunk.

Also remember that the cabin altitude is about 6500 feet and altitude has an affect of absorption so the term getting high has more than one meaning. If you are going to drink on a airplane, do so in moderation, especially if you have to drive after the flight.

jhooper

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:04 am

Hand the Crown to the FA and ask her to "serve" it to you!  Nuts
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

legendDC9

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:08 am

"Specifically, if the TSA sees it on the x-ray, are they going to raise a stink about it?"

only if you don't share.

twinotter

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:00 pm

I don't know the TSA's rules on the subject. That said, I have carried a partially-consumed bottle of liquor in my carry-on bag numerous times. So far the TSA has not commented on it.

(I do not drink from that bottle on the airplane.)

jetstar

Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:22 am

If the bottle is all plastic, it hardly shows up on the e-ray. If the TSA does spot it and it is already opened, they will confiscate it. Opened bottles are a violation of the FAR's.

I find it ironic that you can legally carry an unopened bottle on board which you then can unobserved open and use on the airplane, but cannot carry an opened bottle.

KateAA

Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:29 am

For those who has suggested making your own drinks in the sky, good luck with that!

If anyone asks me for a cup of ice I always keep an eye on what's going on, this is one of the oldest tricks in the book (for PAX at least).

I really would not recommend making your own drinks onboard.

Kate.

ckfred

Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:38 pm

I know TSA has no problem with alcohol, since I've carried wine that I've bought on trips through security. Think about SFO and how many people carry wine that they've bought in Napa and Sonoma Counties.

jetboyflyhi

Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:07 pm

The TSA has no problem.... But you will end up with a fine or even jail time if you choose to ASK THE FA FOR A CUP OF ICE.......Also we as FA's can smell the use of illegal alcohol consumpsion quit well and more so if we have not servered YOU alcohol ........My Opinion give the unopened bottle to the FA and let them serve you your "special holiday beverage' SmileCHEERS!!!!!!!!
Chicken or Beef?