LambertSTL777

Gifts For Flight Attendants

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:23 pm

I'm planning a trip to Phoenix (STL - PHX) for Dec 20th, then returning the 24th. I've heard that flight attendants really like it when passengers get them gifts, so I was wondering: Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get flight attendants for Christmas? Thanks for your in-put!

(BTW, incase you were wondering, it's most likely going to be on AA, all 4 legs on 757's)
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

September11

RE: Gifts For Flight Attendants

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 pm

My suggestion: "Merry Christmas" cards.

Warning: I think that FAs are not allowed to accept gifts from passengers on board.

Airliners.net of the Future

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:53 pm

I have given gifts to Cus/Serv persons, F/As, etc. I am sure it's expressly forbidden, but I've done it before. It's all part of the give and take when you have more miles taxiing at an airport than you have driving your car.

I have also found that a letter, a positive letter, to the management works well also. I can't count how many I've written.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LambertSTL777

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions  Smile, I was planning on giving it to them either before or after the flight, as thats what I've been advised to do by people who have given F/A's gifts before

cyrillim

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:58 pm

Hey guys:

A shameless pitch for a venture that I am involved with  Smile but here goes anyway, (because I have not shame)

Check out www.crewtag.com

Great gifts for F/As and other airline employees. And you will be supporting a F/A (with work rule changes and severe paycuts to come) who owns the website!

Happy shopping!

NO URLS in signature

RHSNYC

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:43 pm

Hey, really nice of you Lamberstl777! Just make sure it's not something wrapped in like giftwrap where the item can't be seen. I'm a flight attendant and their is no problem accepting an inexpensive small gift or "token" of appreciation from a sincere customer. I've had customers give me and my crew pens, aviation related lapel pins, and Starbucks coupons to just name a few.......Enjoy your trip and your crew will certainly Thank You!!

traveler

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:13 pm

I agree with ANCflyer, a nice positive letter is a great gift.

I just wrote 4 letters on my last 2 trips ( one for each segment) and the crew was really happy. As a matter of fact, I was treated like a king for the following hours. They were really touched. I guess that is the only way they can be rewarded for the hard work they do. A written letter is sent to the appropriate people whereas spoken words simply vanish.

I was on CSA Business class flight from prague to Montreal 20/11/04

Traveler

jc2354

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:02 pm

You will always score with any flight crew if you bring food. It does not have to be anything fancy, either. But, make the food as tamper proof as possible. Nothing homemade!

I would go back Cinabuns and pick up a few rolls, or stop at KrispyKreme, even a couple of Subway Sandwiches. Bring enough for the flight deck, too! Your kindness will be returned with the best service you ever had. It wouldn't surprise me if you got bumped up to first class, if not, I'm sure the crew would buy you a few drinks.

Doing something nice for others, will cretainly get your Christmas holiday off to a good start.

Jack

If not now, then when?

luv2fly

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:54 pm

I have given boxed candy before> One time it actually was a box I was bringing home for someone and this FA was so nice and we talked during the flight that I just gave it to here, she was very happy.
You can cut the irony with a knife

zonky

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:58 pm

This is in no way a critique of the above posters- but am i the only non-american who is amazed at even the suggestion that F/A just doing their job, etc should be given gifts by pax?!?

Is this just an non-cash extension of US tipping culture?

[Edited 2004-11-23 15:05:13]

Pe@rson

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:01 pm

Are you lot giving them presents with the intention of getting laid?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

luv2fly

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:08 pm

Zonky

I think it has to do with something called Holiday spirit!

Pe@rson

Some people do stuff with out having another motive in mind! Kinda like the kitten story!

You can cut the irony with a knife

7e72004

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:11 pm

I don't see a problem in giving a small gift to a F/A. If the passenger wants to then i think he/she should be able to...if you don't want to then don't. I have not given gifts in the past but have written letters to the respective airlines indicating how good of a job and professional the F/A was. I usually get a letter back thanking me for my letter...very satisfying.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

zonky

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:14 pm

Pe@rson - hah! Clearly living over here makes minds think alike- i was wondering that too...

Luc2fly: No, i think you're describing a cultural phenomenon, not 'holiday spirit'.

Americans seem to believe by & large that a tip/present does well in a situation where other cultures deem a genuine smile, thank you and a merry xmas, etc is more appriopiate...

Again, this is in no way critical, merely observational.

Twistedwhisper

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:15 pm

aviation related lapel pins
I thought they removed those items at the security checkpoint  Wink/being sarcastic
Read between the lines.

chqdispatch

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Zonky, unfortunately, the tip giving phenomenon here in the States is a necessity. A typical waiter/waitress here in the States makes less then minimum wage and so they need our tip to make ends meet. It is the same with our hard working Flight Attendants. They get paid squat compared to the workload they have to accomplish each and every single flight. Giving a small gift just expresses my gratitude towards them because I understand what they have to go through.
So many people bitch about unfriendly F/A's and their respective bad experience aboard certain carriers but always remember, treat them as you want to be treated and also, they're just as human as everyone else.

PS. Congrats to all US F/A's for getting your FAA certification.

7e72004

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:33 pm

I think it sucks the way F/As get paid...unfortunately, the entire airline industry in the US is in disarray and hopefully they are at the bottom of the trouble and could start going back to the positive side of things.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

flpuck6

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:42 pm

Hi guys,

the CrewTag stuff is really funny, but not overboard ... i definitely suggest a visit as well.
http://www.crewtag.com

Whatever you give try to leave it unwrapped for "security" reasons. They prefer being able to "see" what you're giving them so they're not "surprised" later.

Bonjour Chef!

pilotaydin

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:45 pm

i think it's awesome to give gifts to those people who work hard. Although i'm not christian, i do enjoy the x-mas decorations and i wish people could be nice all the time to each other, not just holidays. Shame we can't jumpseat in the usa! I used to share my turkish candy with DLH crews when i was young on the way to the states in the cockpit. I find many American F/A much friendlier than some on European airlines ive been on.
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Pe@rson

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:49 pm

*Dons ripped and smelling clothing, puts on huge, dark-rimed glasses, puts on artificial spots. Goes up to FA and hands her a present. Now *slobber, slobber* can I have a date with you *shows green teeth* 'No, now **** off!' *
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

pilotaydin

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:53 pm

i dont wanna fly with you!!

ORDINDUAFLYER

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:58 am

The past few years when flying around the holidays, I've taken on boxes (1 pound size) of Frango mints for the crew to share (I know, not the best candy in the world, but it's something that says "Chicago", where I currently reside). The other advantage to Frangos is that the box is sealed. I've thought about the Cinnabon thing, but thought it might be a bit odd since they're not "tamper resistant" (too many weirdos out there these days and since the flight crew doesn't know who you are unless they've flown with you before). I also include with it a card wishing them a happy holiday season and thanking them for another year flying with my favorite airline. The year "my" airline filed BK, I also included something about knowing things are tough right now but there are a lot of supportive pax who appreciate their efforts... Anyway, the crew has always been very appreciative of the candy and one said it was going to be better than their crew lunch that day.

My hometown airport is a smaller station where most of the employees know me. Each year I take them a couple of containers with about 7-8 dozen homemade cookies (I also take them cookies on a smaller scale during the year) -- those go over like crazy as well!

LambertSTL777

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:14 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I think Pe@rson needs to grow up.. People do this because F/A's really need it. For the most part, their morale is low with all of the uncertainty, and after finishing reading "Plane Insanity" and "Around the World in a Bad Mood: Confessions of a Flight Attendant", I've come to the conclusion that they need it to help cope with all of the idiots who fly everyday..

GMUAirbusA320

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:24 am

"Are you lot giving them presents with the intention of getting laid?"

I LOVE IT....LOVE THE BRITS FoR THEIR HUMOR. Once tried to figure out how to get laid by a VS flight attendant. My corny sense of humor gets me nowhere...I'd love to show them how an Ohio boy gives gifts!!!

Cheers,
GMUAirbusA320

Pe@rson

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:25 am

Nah, sorry: I don't need to grow up. I just don't see why paying passengers should have to give some random FA something in return for doing their job. But then, as has already been pointed out, it is not really the culture in the UK to tip or 'reward' people, unlike in the USA. If, for instance, I went into a supermarket and went up to some check-out girl and said, 'Here you are - you deserve it', she'd think I was being freaky and weird and probably call security!

NWAFA

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:28 am

I just flew from PHX to ABQ this morning and brought the Southwest crew a bottle of red wine to have on their over night..they were headed on to TPA..I always bring some type of treats for the crews...Earlier in the week I had cookies for my United Crew..there were three of them, and before I had my bags in the overhead the crew inhaled them...it was fun to see them enjoy it.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

cyrillim

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:51 am

Gifts are great especially if you are a non-rev. We usually try to buy some local treats for the crew to share on the plane (chocolates, pastries etc.) during the flight.

A huge hit is always the Tim Tams (and the Tim Tam Slam that follows) when we go to Australia!!

C.
NO URLS in signature

4everRC

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:53 am

A couple of things Pe@rson...

Firstly, no one is saying that ANYONE is OBLIGATED to give ANYTHING. You don't want to do it, then don't, but don't attack people that do want to.

Secondly, while I agree with others who have said that people should be nice to each other year round, many people like this holiday as it makes them feel good about making other people feel good, especially people they don't know. Karma is circular - it comes back to you good or bad.

Thirdly, did I miss a meeting, or did it become a bad thing to show appreciation for a job well done, whether it be a simple "Thank you" or a small token of appreciation?

Thanks everyone in this forum for the idea - I am flying SJC to MSN on 12/24, and I like the idea of giving a little treat to the crew, mainly because it stinks to have to work on a holiday.
Nobody served our republic like Republic!

jetjeanes

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:04 am

I dont think to many really would accept an eatable gift in todays enviroment,some kook could load them up with a laxative or something, But gift certificates would probably work well,,Im sure some would love a cartier tennis bracelet.
i can see for 80 miles

avek00

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:04 am

Generally speaking, food is bad gift idea for airline employees - according to company regs (and practically every decent airline has this rule), the FAs are supposed to either politely decline the gift or else accept it and dispose of it outside of the customer's view for safety reasons. IME, gift certs (especially for Starbucks) work really well.
Live life to the fullest.

2H4

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am

Cyrillim,

The design work on your site is outstanding. I really like that striped background, and how it stays stationary when you scroll.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

JeffDCA

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:25 am

Don't worry about Pe@rson, he's a University Student living in Wales. Need i say more?

Personally i think whether it be in the UK or the US FA's working in the Christmas period would be very happy to recieve a gift. They might be "just doing their job", but they are missing out on time at home with the family to do it at that time of year!

Is this just an non-cash extension of US tipping culture?

The days of UK tipping culture are fast approaching. We're becoming more like the US every day, like it or not.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

BCNGRO

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:16 am

I don't quite understand the reason to give a present to a F/A before the flight or if you have not been chatting for a long time or something like that. I know they might appreciate it because they work hard and don't get paid very well, but I mean, most supermarket check-out girls get paid much worse and work, at least, as hard F/A do. Nevertheless, as Pe@rson says, you wouldn't go "into a supermarket and give a present to a random check-out girl and say, 'Here you are - you deserve it'".
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

JAFA

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:42 am

As a human being and a FA, I would be very appreciate if someone gave me a gift when working on Christmas. Its not the monetary value of the gift but the thought of it, in fact a card would work just the same. I am not saying I expect this but its a nice thought. If you don't want to do it, then don't.

In reality it stinks to have to work Christmas and every major holiday, then at the end of the day you aren't even home. To make it worse youve eaten airline/airport food all day and the hotel restaurant is closed.
I have taken Chocalates to work for my customers in first class on Christmas day. They didn't think I was crazy.
For the record my mail carrier gave me a christmas card last christmas, and I intend to get her a small gift this year. Even though I don't really know her personally.

2H4

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:14 am

BCNGRO,

Jafa hit the nail on the head. It's not about giving someone a bit extra because of their salary or because it's expected...you do something nice because they're stuck at work during the holiday...unlike the rest of us who are able to spend it with our family and friends.

It's simply a nice gesture, and if it can brighten their otherwise dreary holiday a bit, then I say go for it.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

pilotaydin

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:26 am

it's simple...u wouldnt go give a cashier a tip because you arent a member of cashiers.net. Seeing as the people here are aviation fans, they wish to be benevolent to people in the aviation industry, no need to bash the UK, the USA or any other simplified cultural association, im sure some people in Australasia do this too...it's simply being a kind human.

Pe@rson

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:39 am

"They might be "just doing their job", but they are missing out on time at home with the family to do it at that time of year!"

But come 23rd December, when I'm a lawyer, should I expect a gift from the clients I represent? I think not. It's part-and-parcel of doing your job. If, of course, you know the person, then that's different; but a random person... well, that's just odd. But still - you do whatever you like.  Smile

"Don't worry about Pe@rson, he's a University Student living in Wales. Need i say more?"

LOL. I'm a research student currently doing two highly boring, I mean interesting, areas: whether TV licence evasion should be decriminalised and whether the proposed new food laws will reduce the number of meat crimes. 'Nuff said.  Wink/being sarcastic

[Edited 2004-11-24 02:41:38]

Jalalabad

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:43 am

i too am flying on xmas. ams-dtw on nw. i was thinking of purchasing a few extra cookies from the coffee shop for the sexy ladies of the red tail.

JAFA

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:10 pm

Some of our sexy senior babes might be better off WITHOUT the cookies. Although you will most likely have a junior crew working on christmas. I would advise bringing food that is sealed, we have to be careful. I am weary of eating food from people I don't know, although I am sure 99.99% of people are not out to hurt us.

NYCAAer

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:22 pm

I've never had a passenger offer a gift, but I know of flight attnedants who have had passengers buy them something from the duty free on int'l flights.

I've had many a passenger try to give me a tip. Some are insistent that I take the tip. Once a Frenchman gave me 200 French francs on a Paris flight because I gave him a bag full of miniature liquor bottles for his collection. He was thrilled because he got some American minis that were hard to find in France, and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Good letters are always nice. It goes in your personnel file and your supervisor makes a big deal of it.

jobalas

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:42 pm

Frenchmen are not so bad so...lol
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la Terre...

JeffDCA

Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:17 am

But come 23rd December, when I'm a lawyer, should I expect a gift from the clients I represent? I think not.

Exactly, becuase you should never expect anything from anyone. It's just a nice token of appreciation if someone does choose to give you a gift, or card etc, that's all.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

FLY2LIM

Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:06 pm

Well, you guys sure have the American and English cultures down pat. In South America, it's a little different. You do have something called "holiday spirit" and you do give presents and receive presents for the holidays, which are more of a religious nature than they are here in North America.
There is nothing wrong with giving the flight crew a token gift. However, I would refrain from giving something that limits their choice. What if you bring Cinnabon and they are a diabetic, for example. I think a 5-10 dollar Starbuck's gift card is perfect.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

B6FA4ever

Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:32 pm

its funny actually...i've never received a gift from a passenger to share w/ the crew...BUT...one time working from JFK-LGB and also our red-eye from SAN-JFK i was standing in line to get some coffee. well looking at my watch it was coming really close to the time i had to report to the gate. both times there was a passenger standing in front of me (who was also on my flight) and offered to buy me my coffee for me and give it to me on the flight. more greatful for my SAN passenger as it was starbucks coffee...(sorry east coasters...starbucks is a hell of a lot better than dunkin' donuts)!!  Laugh out loud

other than that...i actually buy a box of See's candy for the F/A's when i fly on another carrier (whether i'm pass riding or a regular fare pax)...as unhealthy as it is...its always good to have a little energy boost from good ole chocolate.

~B6FA4ever

Jmc777

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:21 pm

As a hard working FA myself, it is always nice to go that one step further and try to make individuals flights the best they've had. You can't do it all the time unfortunately for a number of reasons;

It could be that you are swamped and the flight crew have managed to shave of 20 - 30 mins off the flight time and not told you, it could be that none of the customers on board have actually showed anyone else on board common courtesy, but think they are the most important person and the only person on board !!! Which happens more and more these days.

Fortunately there are times when you can do it, and it gives you a good feeling knowing you have done something extra for someone and you know they really appreciate it. It makes you want to do it again and again.

We used to regularly fly a middle eastern Arabian princess and without fail she always bought the entire crew a gift, just because she could. I have accepted tips before, particularly from American customers who insist they will be offended if I refuse to take it (I split it with all the crew and put it towards a round of drinks downroute).

Then the are the flights we operate into YYC. Every single time we land and the doors open, the ground agent boards the aircraft with 3 boxes of assorted doughnuts !! 1 for the flight crew, 1 for the forward galley and 1 for the rear, this is every time we land here, not just at Christmas or other holidays. He pays for them out of his own pocket and the entire crew really appreciate it, we don't expect it and it is always a surprise that he has "done it again".

What I am trying to say is that if you can surprise anyone at anytime it will be appreciated by the other person.

It need not be a gift, it could simply be an understanding that the world of travel has changed dramatically for lots of people and common courtesy goes along way. Whether you choose to give a small token of appreciation to the FA who serves you on board is up to you. It is not a glamorous job anymore, it is bloody hard work and very underpaid for what we are trained to do, BUT most of us love the job and do it anyway.

The best gift anyone could give me on board is for customers to be nice to each other. An amazing things is when Princess Diana died, for a few long haul flights afterwards, there was a weird calmness and niceness about everyone during the flights, people were SO nice !!

It is not about presents it is about understanding and thinking of others besides yourself, sharing in the holiday spirit and learning not to be selfish.

CrossChecked

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:04 am

FAs are usually allowed to accept gifts but NOT in the form of cash!

I commute to work and always take a box of chocs for the crew operating the domestic flight I commute on; just to say "thanks for looking after me".

I will ALWAYS give the gift at the END of the flight though, as I don't want the gift to appear as some form of bribery for better service.

Lovely gesture though!
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

KateAA

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:28 am

I can only comment for myself, but I would never accept a gift from pax.

I have broken this rule twice, once with my friend who was on the aircraft and brought me a birthday gift and the second time was my ex boyfriend...

I would prefer to see the pax either just say thank you or maybe donate the value of the gift to the airlines charity appeal.

Just the way I am I guess

Kate.

WJA73G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:53 pm

I always pick up some muffins at Tim Hortons (its a Canadian thing)

(WS crews always go for coffee there anyway)

WJA73G

BIGBlack

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:10 am

We Americans are not THAT generious guys. I have never seen a person try and tip someone in a supermarket. F/A's are different. It is a bit more personal in the air. Yes, they are 'just doing their job', but why not make it fun especially when we admire what they do. I like to think of airline personel as more then just 'air waitresses/waiters' or 'air chuffears'. I think you international guys have spend too much time in first class with your nose up. As far as getting laid is concerned, try giving an American woman a gift, and ask for ass after. I dare ya!
Someone special in the air

airgeek12

Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:14 am

haha. I think that it would be a great jesture to give a F/A a gift. I'm sure that they work really hard, and some rich first-class people don't even appritiate their service.

~

I'm going to London from JFK on a VS A340-300 and I'm gonna give this a try.