YOW4NOW
Topic Author

US Customs Abroad

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:26 am

I've read a number of the posts in the thread "Gates of Hell". One common complaint is the hassle of entering the US and having to endure customs lineups and procedures. I suppose we're lucky in many Canadian cities because we have US customs in selected airports. As a frequent traveller into the US, I can say I do appreciate the luxury of leaving YOW and arriving at the Domestic gates in DTW, ORD etc.

My question is, why can't selected airports in Europe (for example) have pre-clearance? Are there rules (treaties such as "open skys") that come into play?I appreciate there would be added costs in some respects, but at the same airlines could pay extra to leave from selected "pre-cleared" gates that would allow them to arrive at Domestic arrivals in the US. Would this also help to alleviate "undesireables" from entering at all?

Come to think of it, are there any countries other than the US that have pre-clearance facilites outside of their own country?

Cheers

Lt-AWACS

RE: US Customs Abroad

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:31 am

Shannon, Ireland has pre-clearance (or did when I went through).

IIRC several airports in The Bahamas have pre-clearance as well.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Not all pilots are alcoholics, We don't go to meetings
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

AMS

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:34 am

I know that Ireland have these facilities, because Ireland have some sort of special agreements with the U.S. Also the U.S Customs tried to negotiate with LHR, but for some reason this did not work out.

Regards,
AMS

pilatusguy

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:54 pm

I personally think that US customs should not be anywhere outside the US (maybe with the exception of Canada 'cause of the high frequencies). It's not their territory after all.
Would the US allow foreign customs at their major airports? Probably not....

This is simply another way to show off power to the world.

Last week I lined up for 2 (two) hours at YYZ to clear US customs - the flight got delayed, etc.... how much is this costing the airlines? If customs were at the destination airports it would at least not also affect the airlines....!

My 2 cents anyway

Murtagh1108

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:46 pm

Yep, US Pre-Clearance is located At Dublin and Shannon. However, you must clear immigration at your last point of call before entering the US. i.e. If there is a DUB to the USA via SNN flight, pax must disembark in SNN and clear immigration there. If there is a DUB > USA flight nonstop, then immigration is cleared in Dublin!
Fantastic facility to have here in Ireland  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

EIDW

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:06 pm

Pre-clearance in Dublin isn't so great over the last month since fingerprinting/photographing of all non-US nationals started. I went through there 3 weeks ago to LAX and it took over 1 hour to queue for the privilage. US-bound flights were leaving about 30mins late because of it.

I guess that it is still better than at LAX!

EIDW.

Starlionblue

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:17 pm

I personally think that US customs should not be anywhere outside the US (maybe with the exception of Canada 'cause of the high frequencies). It's not their territory after all.
Would the US allow foreign customs at their major airports? Probably not....

Why not if it's inside the sterile zone? It's a great idea under certain circumstances. However as you say the US would have to reciprocate.

This is simply another way to show off power to the world.

Not really.

This can be compared to Eurostar and The Eurotunnel Shuttle. Customs for both countries is on the departing end of the trip. Not only does this speed up the trip, but it also ensures that if someone needs to be turned back from the destination they have not even left yet. For those not familiar with this particular border, the UK and France are both in the EU but the UK is not part of the Schengen Zone, thus border controls remains.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

luv2fly

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:34 pm

Maybe it is just me, though I find the US customs that operate outside of the US tend to be more strict and tough to get through.
You can cut the irony with a knife

lobster

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:13 am

I agree with Luv2fly. I went through US customs in Calgary coming back to MSP. Off all the customs that I have been through, those guys were by far the worst. No smiles, not happy, rude, blunt and burned out. Every other place that I've been too, people have all been nice, smiled at you, and even welcomed you back, or too their country. A far cry for their counter-parts in Calgary.

legacyins

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:49 am

It would benefit the traveler in pre clearance was allowed abroad. If you are refused entry to the US, all you do is go home. It is better than making the loooong flight over and then taking the loooong flight back. Big grin

globetrekker

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:09 am

Aruba (AUA) has US Imigration pre-clearance and US Customs. Makes travelling to the USA much easier for both US citizens and foreigners.

I just arrive at MIA for instance at the domestic gate, pick up my luggage and split.

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

EnviroTO

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am

It makes sense to put US customs pre-clearance in Canada because there are many flights going to places with little or no customs handling capability. It doesn't make much sense to have US customs wait for a Dash 8 to come in three times a day. It also makes sense due to volume. At YYZ it seems there are almost as many or more flights to the US than to Canada. I'm not sure why they would have that in Ireland where I can't imagine flights going to the smaller US destinations.

ManchesterMAN

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:54 am

Heathrow was touted to have such facilities installed / implemented but obviously this sort of operation takes up a lot of space. From what I heard (and by no means fact) BAA were unwilling to give up the space for what would be a non-commercial activity. In other words any space they do have is to be taken up by shops, shops and more shops. US immigration means fewer shops and less money by their thinking. Would be good though. I'd much prefer to be treated like a piece of sh*t before the flight and get it over with than have it all to look forward to.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da