gkirk

Kerala, India To Get Another Airport

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:01 pm

When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GuyBetsy1

RE: Kerala, India To Get Another Airport

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:21 pm

Yes. Kochi. What is your point? SQ flies there from Singapore.

gkirk

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:22 pm

No point, just wanted to make sure I knew where it was
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

DIJKKIJK

Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:12 pm

No Gkirk, Goa is more to the west, slightly to the south of Mumbai. Kerala is in the extreme southwest.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

TKMCE

Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:14 pm

Apparently the Kerala government thinks that bulding a new airport is like buying a piece of candy.

Some real estate speculators are out to make a quick buck!

Hope this nonsense is given aa quick death at the earliest.

mrniji

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:18 am

Yes. Kochi. What is your point? SQ flies there from Singapore.

Incorrect.. SilkAir does
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

trvyyz

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:14 pm

The new proposed Airport is to be built in Cannanore and is more a politically motivated decision of the new CM of Kerala. Actually Oomen Chandy cannot build an Airport in Goa. And these guys should get the clearance from the central govt. also.
I am not optimistic of the results even if they build this airport.
Just as TKMCE mentioned it will serve as a means for corruption for the Kerala ministers and their friends. But I don't know who is going to invest for this stupidity as only a very few travellers are going to benefit from this. Instead these guys should spend their energy to get more Airlines coming to TRV and COK. Especially we don't have any airlines here flying to Europe.
I always thought, how wonderful it would be if one of the Middle eastern flights of BA,KLM or LH could be extended to TRV and COK. eg. BA:LHR-DXB-TRV or LH:FRA-MCT-COK, KL: AMS-AUH-TRV etc. I know there are a lot of obstacles/barriers for this. Could somebody tell me why such a route is "impossible"?

IndianGuy

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:20 pm

Cannanore? Yet another attempt to pander to the vote-bank in this muslim-dominated region of Kerala!

When i first saw this topic i thought it was news about another Kerala city: Aranmulla, serving Kollam. For long there has been talk of 9W introducing a daily ATR from BLR to Aranmulla.

TKMCE

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:17 pm

I always thought, how wonderful it would be if one of the Middle eastern flights of BA,KLM or LH could be extended to TRV and COK. eg. BA:LHR-DXB-TRV or LH:FRA-MCT-COK, KL: AMS-AUH-TRV etc. I know there are a lot of obstacles/barriers for this. Could somebody tell me why such a route is "impossible"?

It isnt too impossible- esp the KLM route you suggested. KLM wouldnt mind , atleast the way they promote the route currently by having deals with AI and IC to feed their AUH flights. But for AMS-AUH-TRV to be economically viable, they need fifth freedom traffic for AUH-TRV, which will also mean that the UAE government have to be amenable. I wont say this is impossible - TG for eg got fifth freedom MAA- DXB when they started to BKK ( and taking away a large share of traffic - no comments on yield!), so if the political will is there, it can fructify. But then AI wont be pleased, neither will GF so in reality it is unlikely to happen.

BA- LHR - DXB- TRV - This is the least likely route. Since BA I expect is not having any problems filling up their aircraft from DXB.

LH- FRA-MCT- COK- Why not? Esp with an AI code share - AI and LH now appear to be the best of friends and from the revised bilateral, COK as I understand is already a designated point. Now only if the Oman goverrnment obliges and gives fifth freedom!

As far as the passengers are concerned - they wont care less. The cheaper fare u get , the better! Among Keralites favorite airlines at one time were ZAS of Egypt, Balkan Bulgarian, Air Maldives, not to speak of PIA! Is it no wonder that one of GF Traveller's first routes was AUH_TRV and AI EXPRESS will first start from TRV/COK and CCJ.