AEROFAN

Upgrading Of NON Revs

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:47 am

Is there a "never upgrade a nonrev" policy stated or not at airlines? From my experience DL,VS and BA are the only ones that seem to consistently upgrade OAL non revs even if they are holding Y passes. What's the deal?

AlanUK

RE: Upgrading Of NON Revs

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:56 am

Good question, I only ever get upgrades with BA (obviously), AA, VS and BD. Even then, it's not always guaranteed...

The bad ones: QANTAS (never, ever get upgraded, even with mainly empty C/F cabins), AF, LH...

Looking forward to hearing answers...

planespotting

RE: SWA On-Time Arrivals

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:00 am

A captain i know at Southwest got upgraded on a Quantas flight from LAX to sydney. He said it never happens on domestic airlines but if you show your badge and tell them you're a US airline employee a lot of foreign airlines give you an upgrade.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:04 am

Alan,

Yeah, I don't expect it every time and have never received it every time, but it sure has been nice when it has been offered. And without me having to faun on anyone. I know on some flights that I have listed for - there has been space in J but because Y was full I was left back to take another flight.

SQ did this to me last year. I had to spend an extra nite in Singapore because of this.

I know QF doesn't upgrade. SQ doesn't either. Doesn't often happen on CO either. has been my experience. More often than not I get upgraded out of JFK on BA and VS. VS out of LHR very tuff.

sevenheavy

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:29 am

VS have probably the most generous staff travel concessions in the industry right now. Because of the amount of tickets and upgrades they make available to their own staff The policy for other airline staff is that they are to be seated in Y class unless they have an upgrade code in their booking. Upgrade codes are how all upgrades are decided. Most are assigned to VS staff on either duty or leisure travel but some are allocated to customer relations, OA staff on firm duty travel tickets etc. This is the "holy grail" of upgrading priority and without one you will most likely not be upgraded. The only exception to this is that if there are no seats available in other cabins on closure and there is no time to move up gold level freq flyers etc. to make seats available in Y class the supervisor may, at his or her discretion allow other airline staff to be seated in W or J class.

Almost all airlines procedure is to allow other airline staff to travel in Y class only - some (individuals) just enforce it more rigidly than others.

Hope this helps

Regards,

SevenHeavy
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

CrossChecked

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:33 am

The policy at British Airways, I believe, is that all staff passengers on ID90 tickets are to be seated in the World Traveller Plus cabin, if available.

They are not to be seated in a premium (J/F) cabin unless they have J/F Priority (senior management, long-serving employees, selected other staff).

Why not seat staff in premium cabins??? For the same reason as Y pax shouldn't be allowed to use J/F restrooms (but that's a whole other thread!!!).
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

eta unknown

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:50 am

Rules of thumb:
a) NZ & QF- getting an upgrade very tough/bordering on the near impossible.
b) Upgrades out of a carrier's home base harder than at an out-station.
c) Station managers can quietly upgrade at the gate so the info wont show up on the passenger list.

fanoftristars

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:58 am

With the state of the airline industry today, I think airlines should upgrade their non-rev employees or other airline's employees as much as possible. There's usually a dress code enforced for the non-revs so they don't detract from the ambiance of the premium cabins. The non-revs are usually the nicest dressed in the premium cabins and they add to the "Premium" feel...lol

There's nothing like a full cabin to make things feel nicer on an aircraft. I was on a flight ATL-PVD a few weeks ago and there were only three of us in First. It just seemed sad. It was nice when the FA went back (with the captains permission) and upgraded some servicemen that were in the back. They were very greatful, and the cabin just felt better...
"FLY DELTA JETS"

AlanUK

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:15 am

CrossChecked:

That is very wrong:
The policy at British Airways, I believe, is that all staff passengers on ID90 tickets are to be seated in the World Traveller Plus cabin, if available.

In fact, staff used to assume that too! But BA said that pax sitting in Y+ had paid more money for the prilivedge of more space, therefore it would be unfair to fill the cabin up with staff all the time. Fair enough. So no, WT+ isn't the staff cabin.

By default, unless you know someone, you are nice (or good looking!), or Y is full, BA will still put you in Y.

SATL382G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:16 am

I don't know, call me silly, but maybe they should upgrade the paying passengers first....
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

AlanUK

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:36 am

SATL382G

They do! If Y+ is full, and there are 3 gold card holders in there, they will be moved to C before Staff. That goes if 3 is the requirements. If they only need 2 to upgrade, and there are 3 Gold, they may choose staff over card holders to avoid having to "choose" a gold card holder over another one... It depends on the situation really, but usually, (I'm talking about BA here), they will upgrade card holders before staff.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:42 am

So let me see if I understand this. Airline employees are busting their assess to help make a success of their airlines and the industry; yet their butts are not good enough to sit in at least J. Is that it? So just because an OAL employee does not have a J or F upgrade- are you telling me that in all likelihood that person will be left back if Y is full???

SATL,

NO! I would not normally upgrade a paying pax over a fellow airline employee. The only time I have done this is if it is clear from the ticket and the booking that the pax paid full fare and if they are dressed half way decently.

SK973

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:52 am

When talking to my colleagues it would seem that upgrading was quite common in the 80-ies and 90-ies.
However from my own experience of a lot of nonrev long haul flying in the past three years, upgrades are extremely few and far between!
Only had it happen twice, once on SK and once on LH, out of 40+ flights.

On the other hand I've been downgraded three times in just the last year when flying on C-class ID90-tickets cause revenue pax where upgrading with points or cash...  Insane

OttoPylit

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:53 am

I don't know, call me silly, but maybe they should upgrade the paying passengers first....

Kinda defeats the purpose of having the First Class cabin, doesn't it? If you are a paying passenger with a deeply restricted $150 dollar ticket and flying in a tshirt and shorts, you sure deserve that First Class cabin along with the Million Mile travellers and the $1000 dollar ticketholders. Sounds fair enough to me.

Or you can provide those seats(that no one paid for) to an employee or other nonrev that is travelling and is dressed appropriately, knows how to behave, and sees it as a nice perk from their company.

Many airlines do not upgrade their own employees, much less any others. Some airlines with 3 class layouts will upgrade employees only to Business class.

I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

AlanUK

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:54 am

Aerofan:

Easy! As you know, it's all down to the agent who checks you in, the loads, and the gate agents... But there are also rules, and BA's rule is that valued customers should get upgraded first.

Saying this, BA is one of the best airline when it comes to free staff upgrade, so that rule is overturn on many occasion, and also when more space is available and both CIP and staff can be placed in a better cabin.

SATL382G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:06 am

Aerofan,

I understand the first to get upgraded should be pax who paid full fare. And I also understand about appropriate dress. But after that it sounds as though you think the airline employees are better or more valuable than the paying pax in the back....

If that's the prevailing attitude than I can see one reason why US airlines are having such a hard time.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

globetrekker

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:08 am

Does BA issue ID90's? Aren't they part of ZED (zonal Employee Discount)?

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

AlanUK

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:26 am

As far as I know, BA offer both ID90/80 and ZED, depending on the airline you work for.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:28 am

SATL wrote "I understand the first to get upgraded should be pax who paid full fare. And I also understand about appropriate dress. But after that it sounds as though you think the airline employees are better or more valuable than the paying pax in the back....

If that's the prevailing attitude than I can see one reason why US airlines are having such a hard time."

SATL, please do not attempt to put words in my mouth. I do not think that airline employees are better than paying pax. I however also do not think that they are any worse. They are just as valuable as the paying pax and should be treated accordingly.

What attitude? Not to upgrade a paying pax over a fellow airline employee? Where is the attitude. Well then I am glad to have this attitude. It is the least I can do to ensure that some of my brothers and sisters get a chance to taste the hallowed ground of J or F.

Oh BTW - Not only were you wrong about the attitude thing - Mine and yours ( you may want to reread your first post concerning upgrade and tell me whose got an attitude as a matter of fact.) I'm sorry that I've got to tell you that I don't work for a US airline. The one I work for is international and it is doing quite well. Hmmmmmm perhaps if my US compatriots stopped upgrading paying pax over their fellow brothers and sisters in the industry - they may do just as well.

legendDC9

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:33 am

DL does always try to UG and their folks should be commended for it. I do agree with Fanoftristars, Airline staff worldwide is all a part of a large but slowly shrinking community. We need to look out for eachother. I am also a big UA fan now after they UG me on a regular ticket for free, after telling them I was staff on another carrier. This was on LHR-ORD and was greatly appreciated!

SATL382G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:00 am

Where's the attitude? Right here:

So let me see if I understand this. Airline employees are busting their assess to help make a success of their airlines and the industry; yet their butts are not good enough to sit in at least J.

and here...

Hmmmmmm perhaps if my US compatriots stopped upgrading paying pax over their fellow brothers and sisters in the industry - they may do just as well.

Pax bust their ass to pay the fare. If there's an available seat in a premium cabin and the pax are otherwise qualified, the paying pax should get first consideration. The employees can take a seat in the back, after all there perk is free transportation -- not necessarily a premium cabin

TWAAF9

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:38 am

Having flown BA (PHL-LHR-ZRH-LHR-PHL and PHL-LHR-PHL) in the past couple months, this topic surely hits home for me.

At least four of my airline friends have always said that BA is the MOST generous when it comes to upgrading OAL staff. That said, only on one of the legs listed above was I upgraded to World Traveller Plus, each other leg, World Traveller or Euro Traveller only, with each flight having a light load in all cabins. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly grateful to BA for extending the privilege to me (all I paid was taxes and immigration fees), but am I doing something wrong by trying to be the model non-rev (unseen, unheard, and gracious) and still getting stuck in the back?
Ahh, the power of SABRE...

chilledflyer

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:42 am

I have to say, I have never been upgraded on Non-Rev tickets in my experience no matter what airline (CX, BA, VS, KL) I travel on. And normally on Non-rev tickets, they plonk you right at the back of the plane regardless of what FF status you are on lol

But I have to say, out of all the airliners I've been on, BA have been very generous with UGs from W Class to C (i.e. 4 times last year), though only ex-LHR, never on any inbound journeys. Same goes for VS but also only ex-LHR as well. However CX is VERY STINGY on UGs (in my experience), virtually NON-EXISTENCE!

Indeed, I have noticed that you only get upgraded if you buy full-fare tickets AND have their FF on quite a high tier.

--chilleflyer--

P.S. Forgot to mention, GF upgraded me from Y to F from AUH-LHR, and I was on a discounted Y class ticket...now that is what i call jammy
Justice delayed, Justice denied

AirbusDriver

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:48 am

Here at Usair it's 20$ for upgrade domestic/Canada/Mexico or 100$ for Europe.
Or you can jumpseat and upgrade for free but no drinking.

Jumseating on other airline:
-Always if available ( company policy ) DL,UA.
-Sometime ( not company policy) AA, NK.
-Never NW, CO.

ID90/ZED Fare, AF if available always put me in C class.

Hope this help.

OttoPylit

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:56 am

Pax bust their ass to pay the fare. If there's an available seat in a premium cabin and the pax are otherwise qualified, the paying pax should get first consideration. The employees can take a seat in the back, after all there perk is free transportation -- not necessarily a premium cabin.

And employees bust their ass to keep customers coming back to their airline. But since you want to talk about pax going up there and mentioning "qualified", then let me ask you. What constitutes qualification for moving up to the First Class cabin? You have 200 people on the plane and 20 left open FC seats, how are you to decide who goes up there? Who paid the most for their "coach" fare? Who has the most FF miles? Who is the most loyal pax(like you could ever figure that one out)? Or who bought a ticket for that specific flight earliest?

Just suck it up, if you want a First Class seat, pay for it or upgrade with miles. If you choose a coach fare and seat, don't expect a First Class seat, it don't work that way. Believe it or not, employees would be more than happy for you to purchase a First Class seat, it gives us a job. But don't expect to pay for a coach fare and be upgraded for free.

I can't remember the last time that I went to a restaurant, ordered a burger, and then expected a 12 oz. New York Strip with all the trimmings just because I have eaten there before.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:56 am

Only a few airlines have "no NRSA in F/C/J/A/D" or whatever cabin you want to call it.

Most, if not all, airlines award Non-Rev upgrades based on your boarding priority. I know at United when I fly on Co-Biz I am a BP7, United employees are BP8s and Other Airline employees are BP9 (note: there are sub categories such as BP8A, 8B, etc). The agents also need to consider Positive Space travelers, being free tickets, airline employees on biz or Emgcy Pass, etc and even sometimes they are restricted to the "Y" cabin.

Interline Benefits are a very touchy issue and its complicated. Someone mentioned ZED Fares, Zonal Employee Discount, which is managed thru MITA I believe. Basicly your airline has to pay $20k to join and a yearly membership fee, then agree to carry passengers at $x.xx / per mile or zone. Tickets are automatically reciprocated on other ZED members. And most ZED fares tend to end up in the back *KOFF* as the ID-90s and Service-Fee passengers tend to get the upgrades first (because they are paying more). I know for a fact that Virgin, well at least on the USA side, takes part in all interline programs. I know that we didn't qualify for ZED or ID-90s because of lack of ticket stock, but we were offered the service-fee travel in which my employees could fly on Virgin for about $100 roundtrip + taxes in Y or $300 roundtrip + taxes up front (basicly you could buy your way into Upper Class for sure). I had only one employee use the Service Fee program and she and her husband ended up in Premium Economy off of "Y" passes.

I do not think that all pass travelers deserve to sit up front. I've seen some gawd aweful buddy pass holders, and some raunchy family members that weren't traveling with the employee. So its kinda hard to limit F/C/J/A/D cabins to airline employees. (don't get me wrong, i've seen some aweful employees too... I've had a number of stations calling me asking if we should board this OAL who was drunk... I've let a few slide because I'm buddies with their Pass Bureau mgr... but then I had the unfortunate duty of allowing travel then writing up a Conduct Report to send to their airline..)

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

AirbusDriver

Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:04 am

Best and Worst.

Domestic best First: Usair A319/320/321 Best Seat, AA Best Service, UA Good , Dl Good, NW OK.

Domestic Worst First: Usair B737/B757 Worst seat, Spirit A321 even worst seat and no legroom or service.

International Best: F/Class Usair A330 Best Seat, AA MD11 Best Service Very Good Seat.

C/Class: Usair A330 OK Good PFE, AA Very Good Seat Good Service, DL Very Good service OK seat. AF Very Good seat and service.

Worst: Usair B767 Need I say more???

Domestic Coach Best: Usair A319/20/21 are very comfortable, E170 have even better seat and more room. AA MRTC is nice but seat hurt my back.
B6 Good seat, good service, Good leg room PFE, But very trashy passenger, never again.
Domestic worth:WN Very trashy passenger.
NK Same.
NW DC9 WTF with the seat???

Hope trhis help.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:17 am

""Pax bust their ass to pay the fare. If there's an available seat in a premium cabin and the pax are otherwise qualified, the paying pax should get first consideration. The employees can take a seat in the back, after all there perk is free transportation -- not necessarily a premium cabin

The pax would be qualified if they paid for the seat in the premium cabin. If they didn't they are not qualified!

Pax bust their asses to pay the fare. really??! hmmmmmm $39.00 to $69.00 O/W. 99.00 to 128.00 to go from NYC to LON. About the same amount of money to treat oneself and a friend to the movies, popcorn and drinks or almost a meal at MD.

You go to the opera and the opera doesn't upgrade if their box seats are vacant, no matter how often you attend performances. Macy's, SAKs or any of the shops around town do not throw in freebies - no matter how much you shop there. Madison Square Garden does not put you in a courtside seats unless you pay for them. Why the hell do you expect to be upgraded on an airline without paying for the upgrade.

You call it attitude - I call it a job well done when my brothers and sisters faces reflect their appreciation on getting an upgrade.

SATL382G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:59 am

To continue with your examples:
While they may get a discount neither the restaurant employee or the worker at the opera hall ends up with their employers premium product as a perk. Why is an airline employee special?

While I agree it may be impracticle to not upgrade the non-rev folks, I'll stand by my assertion that the non-revers legitimate perk is free/lowcost transportation not the premium cabin.

[Edited 2004-11-26 03:30:08]

aa777jr

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:25 am

I have a non related question. If I fly as a D3 on American from AUS-ORD-LAX-SYD, the LAX-SYD will be codeshared flight on QF. Will QF upgrade my ticket to B or F class if there are seats available?
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:29 am

And that's where you are wrong once again. As a former employee of a reputable restaurant - I can tell you we did.

And with regards to the opera it seems pretty obvious that if the workers want to - it is very easy to accomplish.

SATL382G

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:34 am

And that's where you are wrong once again. As a former employee of a reputable restaurant - I can tell you we did.

Eating the top of the line steak in the back with the help wasn't the restaurants premium product.

B6FA4ever

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:57 am

all i can say is that HA is an airline that could've hooked me up w/ a First class seat. i actually flew them a couple times this year (but i was an actual paying customer) hooked them up w/ some unhealthy (but delicious) candies which they were very grateful for. the purser actually came up to me at my seat and mentioned to me that they wanted to bump me up but the flights were completely full in all directions. so they actually hooked me up w/ a few mini's to enjoy during my meal and movie. not to mention a deck of playing cards  Laugh out loud (thought all airlines did away with those)

Thank you HA! look forward to flying w/ you again and hope to see you on a JetBlue flight soon!

~B6FA4ever

jkudall

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:38 pm

If you are on a ZED, airlines will most likely not upgrade you.

JC5280

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:43 pm

I flew this last week on USairways with a paid ticket. $450

My colleague was also travelling on that flight on an ID95.

He was upgraded, I was not. Odd how that works out, that I paid more, but had a more restricted ticket, and thats the way the rules go.

SegmentKing...

I think you are incorrect in your assumption that few carriers upgrade empoyees easily. UA just upgrades too easily in comparison to other carriers. All of the Asian and European carriers I fly on (both for business and pleasure) will not upgrade you unless your id90 is based off of a C,J,F fare. In some cases, especially within Europe, the C and Y fares are the same. So the upgrade is easier to get.

The exceptions to this are the Star Alliance carriers such as LH that allow UA to book C class on three cabins (and UA does vice versa).

ORD777

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:44 pm

I fly ID90 on UA almost every weekend and I get upgraded whenever space is available - usually about 70% of the time. Last week flying from IAD to ORD my first class boarding pass had already been printed out before I even got to the gate. They are always very generous and I make a point to let them know how appreciative I am.

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:51 pm

An American D-3 can only be used on American, American Eagle, or American Connection metal. D-3s do not carry over to Other Airlines, regardless of alliance.

-n

An-225

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:56 pm

Remember kids, non-revving goes both ways. One day, you're a king in first, eating fillet minion and drinking fine champagne. But the next day you may find yourself sleeping on the floor of an airport without your bag. Trust me, I have been there and done that. If the flight is full or cancelled - guess what, you're not going, and it's now YOUR problem to get wherever you need to go.

Non-revs get on last, after the paying passengers have boarded and upgrades have been issued. If the premium cabins are available, why not give it to non-revs who are dressed nicely and have been following all the rules? It doesn't cost the airlines a dime, and it's a nice gesture to the employees.

And to all the people who say that non-revs shouldn't be in the premium cabins - work for an airline first and then come back to me.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

B6FA4ever

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:27 pm

"And to all the people who say that non-revs shouldn't be in the premium cabins - work for an airline first and then come back to me."

Alex....AMEN!

~B6FA4ever

ZSSNC

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:33 pm

Aerofan,

SAA has a pretty strict "never upgrade a nonrev"-policy. If nonrevs are upgraded only against a managers signature or at the (not so company rules complying) discretion of the purser.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

ANCFlyer

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:34 pm

I'd gladly welcome any non-rev in a premium cabin. They earn it, just like the VVFFs. Why not, they're usually much better company than the first schmuck from Y that has a few miles to burn on an upgrade.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

thunder9

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:21 pm

AA777jr & SegmentKing --

Here's a quote directly from the AA "Trip Book" regarding D3 travel eligibility...

Travel on American Connection
"D3 guests may not travel on flights operated by American Connection."

D3 Passes
"Pass travel classification for extended family members and friends eligible to travel using employee's annual pass allotment. D3 service charges are higher than D1, D2, and D2P classifications. AA and Eagle employees receive D3 travel privileges when reaching two years company seniority. D3 guests may only travel on flights operated by American Airlines or American Eagle, and may not travel on flights operated by American Connection."

An easy way to remember D3 travel is that they can only travel on an aircraft operated by AMR Corp. American Connection includes flights operated by Chautauqua (RP), Corporate (3C), and Trans States (AX) for AA under contract (they're not AMR owned), and essentially replaced TW Express out of STL.

AA777jr, you'll have no travel bennies from AA as a D3 LAX-SYD, I'm afraid.  Sad

-J

"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:36 pm

I stand corrected regarding D3 travel on American Connection.

In regards to UA upgrading other airline employees, again, it all depends on who is on the DM list. If I am on there as a BP7 (OAL Cobiz) and you are on leisure travel, other airline (BP9 I believe), then I'd get the upgrade before you or any other United Employee... then again, that's if I get listed and checked-in on time, as most gate agents tend to clear the list 1/2 hour before flight and I'm usually getting to the airport 30 minutes prior departure! But when I fly on my friend's buddy passes, I am a BP8C, meaning I still bump you, but I get on *after* United Employees & spouses (unless I'm traveling with my friend, then I'm BP8A).

Most agents do not adhere to the upgrade policy and will upgrade whomever they feel like, regardless of the ticket. If you purchase an ID-90 based on YUA or BA3 breakdown, then you will be stuck in coach according to the rules. However, if you list yourself for FCY (most just do "Y"), then when you check-in, your name on the DM will show you listed for FCY, versus "Y" and will automatically clear you in F or C if the seats are available, even if your ID-90 doesn't permit it (again, UA has many interline agreements and most spell out upgrades, including those who want upgrades would need to purchase the ID-90 based on the fare/routing and be ticketed for such).

Again, its all based on a few factors at United... listing yourself for the flight, how the agent checked you in, and how many people are above you on the DM. I've seen some DM lists with 110 BP8's on it (out of HNL) and its been scary! That's why when I approach the gate, I normally ask how the DM is looking and how the seniority is.... sometimes they'll even give me a print out... when I see a lot of PUG's I cry knowing I won't see the cozy United First seats and cringe at the thought of my fat ass being in a middle seat for the entire journey (in fact, I've changed itineraries to avoid that aweful middle seat, flying PHX-FLL on HP, I flew to TPA instead to guarantee an aisle seat, and then a 2 hour wait to hop WN from TPA to FLL!)

-nate

ual777contrail

Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:14 am

I think VS is the worst. They have rude staff. Once they found out we were American they were ruder. Someone said show your badge and tell them you work for a US based carrier? No way, they will treat you worse.

Regarding upgrades, I have upgraded LH employees, or star alliance employees, I don't make it a practice to upgrade others, but we rarely see the others where I work.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

GMUAirbusA320

Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:25 am

"While they may get a discount neither the restaurant employee or the worker at the opera hall ends up with their employers premium product as a perk. Why is an airline employee special?"

While most of us aren't Harvard Graduates, or even Ph.D., we can share the same problems, laughs, etc. NOONE in their right mind would quit a great career getting paid thousands of dollars for a lower paying job, MORE stress, and less benefits. I work in DH's call center, and spent 18 hours working during our IROP's. Think about the people that though joining the airline business would have been a great job. For years, many people could work in the legacy carriers with a ton of job security. Now, it's turned to &$%^. Remember, not everyone can go to a great college. Some are stuck in life.

I can't believe a PAX could not understand why we stick up for each other? It's because sitting in a better seat relieves some of the stresses of life. Think about it...we have one of the most thankless jobs. We ensure the safety of thousands daily, ensure our PAX's get to their destinations.

I challenge anyone who still wonders "Why is an airline employee special?" Look around during your delays, look at how everyone is running around trying to take care of things, look at the ramp guys...watch how many planes they have to load. The next time you're at the airport...look at how many 777, 767, 340, 330, 737's there are...everyone has a job. If one person doesn't contribute on the line, the operation comes to a grinding halt.

I messed up on someone's reservation yesterday morning, little did I know someone else fixed it, I STILL drove 30 mins. to work to get the information I took down and forgot to give my manager. I e-mailed the PAX a letter of apology. No, I don't seek any credit...just think about the small things. The small things that go into your reservations, your departure, your flight, and finally your arrival. I've seen it from EVERY angle. Ramp, T. Counter, Gate, CRO, GSC, Operations, and Call Center.

So, on your next flight, get to the airport a little earlier....watch everything that goes on and wonder "What makes an airline employee so special?"

virgincrew

Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:11 am

Hey guys,

Well I agree with the comments about VS we do generally upgrade when we can. VS employees come first, we get 'Premium space available upgrade' straight away on all our staff travel tickets and our concessions are fantastic.

Hey Ual777contrail,

Sorry, But as crew I find it offensive when airline employees (including VS's) show their ID to get an upgrade, it puts the crew in an awkward position. VS's policy is no upgrades are done by the crew onboard. If your due to get an upgrade to W or J then ground staff will issue it.

As for saying they treated you worse because your American, I doubt it very much (may be it was your re-action to not getting upgraded) I've had many US Airline crew who fly with VS and they've been upgraded because they're crew, however, some have terrible attitude. They expect the world just because they're crew. I.e LHR-EWR, Continental Airline F/A comes to Galley when seatbelt sign on for landing and wants to know why toilet is locked, explained we're landing - her reply:- "But I'm a F/A, my reply:- no your not your a passenger until your back onboard a Continental Aircraft". She was very rude and was put in her place.

Also Alan,

BA have always been wicked when getting me on to commute, even jumpseat access - so thank you BA for that ! Wicked Airline, if I do say so myself.
Hello Beautiful !!!

swatpamike

Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:37 am

Hello everyone

Question that us a little off topic but not much.

I am a Southwest employee.

My wife and I purchased BA e-tickets for a trip from JFK-LHR in February. What are the chances to get an upgrade for our trip???

Should I show my ID when we check in at JFK??

Any info or ideas would help.

Cheers

swatpamike

lamedianaranja

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:08 am

KLM policy: upgrades only if Ycabin is overbooked. Non revs do get upgraded first, but usually only the KL staff. Other airline staff goes in Y regardless of their ticketbase!
Platinum and gold card holders seem to know exactly how much overbookings exist and come to the gate asking for their upgrade. It depends a bit on their actual seat arrangement but I personally prefer to upgrade staff. We all work very hard all year round so I hope that when my turn comes my fellow gate agents save a seat in C for me too! But it's not easy.
If everything fails, present yourself to the lead F/A and tell her you're staff. She may decide to give you a better seat right there.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

AEROFAN

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:22 am

An-225 May I put you on my respected list for your post

With regards to your second paragraph - I just don't understand indeed why it isn't done more often. It's just a shame really!

AN-225 "Remember kids, non-revving goes both ways. One day, you're a king in first, eating fillet minion and drinking fine champagne. But the next day you may find yourself sleeping on the floor of an airport without your bag. Trust me, I have been there and done that. If the flight is full or cancelled - guess what, you're not going, and it's now YOUR problem to get wherever you need to go.

Non-revs get on last, after the paying passengers have boarded and upgrades have been issued. If the premium cabins are available, why not give it to non-revs who are dressed nicely and have been following all the rules? It doesn't cost the airlines a dime, and it's a nice gesture to the employees.

And to all the people who say that non-revs shouldn't be in the premium cabins - work for an airline first and then come back to me.

Alex.

Evolution

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:55 am

I always thought that if you had ordered a special meal, vegetarian for example, then you were guaranteed NOT to get an upgrade regardless if you are a rev or non rev.

Can anyone confirm this?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos