sunnyb

Cockpit Pictures

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:51 am

Hi!

My dad just travelled YYZ-DEL-YYZ and he asked the f/a if he can take the picture of the cockpit himself or let them (crew) to do it. They didn't allow him to.

Which airlines allow cockpit pictures?

airgeek12

RE: Cockpit Pictures

Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:54 pm

I've seen alot of flight deck (a.k.a. 'cockpit') pictures on Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS).

*Joe*

ordflyer

Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:59 pm

I'm not sure if any airlines have firmly set policies about this...it really just seems to vary from crew to crew on what type of mood they are in and if they are in a hurry to leave. I've taken many cockpit picks, including UA, AA and ATA in recent years, never had any problems. One hint, if the F/O or Captain is standing in the cockpit doorway ask them directly rather than asking an F/A. Sometimes an F/A will assume the pilots don't want visitors/pictures, but that's not always the case.

mav75

Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:12 pm

There is no FAR that I know about prohibting photography of any cockpit of any airline while the aircraft is at the gate (unless you're a pilot or jumpseater). But the chances of most flight attendants knowing or caring about this are pretty slim. Many still think passengers are not allowed to visit the cockpit on the ground. Also, the conservative approach prevails, and F/A's are probably scared of violating anything that would cost them their job.

geoffm

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:22 pm

The best time I've found is at the gate, after nearly everybody has got off. This has worked twice out of the last three times I asked, all on BA. Apart from airlines which ban it completely, it really is up to the captain whether you're allowed a visit. If they're not busy they should be able to accomodate you. I agree with Ordflyer about asking the flight crew directly rather than FAs.

Geoff M.

SwissINTLA340

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:51 pm

This in interesting because I have been able to take cockpit pictures of the majority of the U.S. airlines, except Delta. But I think it depends on the captain of F/A. As ORDFlyer said I dont think any airlines have a set policy on cockpit pictures.
-SwissINTLA340-
NO URLS in signature

57AZ

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:08 pm

I can't say about other airlines, since I (like all good Southerners) fly Delta unless General Aviation presents itself as an option (99% of the time it is). Both times I requested a chance to visit the flight deck of a Delta airplane, the request was granted. I believe that it is up to the discretion of the Captain. On an overseas trip, my mom and I were flying Business Class but were bumped up to First most of the trip. Noticed the door was open and asked the F/A if she could check with the captain and see if we might be able to come up for a moment. She asked and said it was fine, so we went and I got myself a nice set of shots of an MD-11 flight deck. The captain showed us all of the instruments (since mom is a licensed pilot) and lamented that people don't ask to be shown the flight deck as much, thus they don't get to show off their machine. FARs have prohibited in-flight visits for years but there's nothing against visits while on the ground.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

ILSApproach

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:12 pm

I always try to be last off aircraft...................and just asking crew if it's ok.........9 out of 10 times they always say yes!!

Mike @ MSP

ramerinianair

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:02 pm

Just don't be the last one off the return leg of CO's PVR service. They apparantly have the same crew do the EWR-PVR and the return to EWR. It's a long day and they just want to get the hell home!!!
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

MATURRO727

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:52 am

Hey

Varig does !

MATURRO727

DeltaGuy

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:20 pm

There is no FAR that I know about prohibting photography of any cockpit of any airline while the aircraft is at the gate (unless you're a pilot or jumpseater)

What's this all about? Maybe I miss read, but crews take photos at their gates all the time....

Delta will letcha do it, no problem, just ask. I've only had one Capt who was hard-nosed about it, the rest, love to let ya do it...just go with a smile on your face and camera in hand, and don't ask the FA's, most have no idea.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

komododx

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Hey,

Well, at least I know the best way to do so is 1. To wait until eeeveryone has gotten off the plane and maybe make some small talk and VERY kindly ask if you can take a picture. 2. Make some small talk with the F/A's and if possible the Captain/F/O so at the end of the flight you can take a pic. I never try during or before the flight. I've found in the US you will most likely ALWAYS get a picture in small a/c (read CRJ, ERJ) or on medium-sized a/c on very shorthaul routes (Read DL 738 ATL-TLH) I find that the very young or very old (VERY politically incorrect, I know) crew always seem to allow pics in the deck.

My $0.02

KdX in TLH
I'm homeless and unemployed

Lindy

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:12 pm

Here is my "almost" latest visit to the cockpit. Next day I checked out flight deck of Comair CRJ and later Delta MD-88.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rafal Szczypek

I just asked if I can take a picture of the cockpit and I was given nice tour thru almost all switches and buttons. Very nice flight crew.
Thank You! (ASA crew)

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos