BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Run-In With A Cop At BFI

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:41 am

OK guys.. check out this BS: I was in Seattle for an interview on Tuesday (the 23rd), and had some time to burn before meeting another a.netter for lunch. So I decided to go down to BFI for a while and watch the arrivals/departures (double bonus because I had SEA arrivals overhead!  Big thumbs up). Anyway, I was sitting in a public parking lot, just south of the control tower on the west side of BFI, and this unmarked blue Explorer rolls up and parks behind and to the left of me for like 20 minutes. He was staring at me, and running my license plate number and whatever. Then he comes over and asks for ID because I guess sitting in a public parking lot watching planes take off/land is "suspicious". Can you believe that crap? I mean.. I was pissed. I produced my Boeing ID and asked the officer what on earth could be suspicious. I mean, I was just sitting in my car, occassionally getting out to get a better view of the SEA arrivals above me.

Argh.. so mad!  Angry Why has our hobby/passion become a crime or a reason to be suspected of being a "terrorist"!?! Just leave us alone you bastards!!!

Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

clickhappy

RE: Run-In With A Cop At BFI

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:43 am

which parking lot were you in? If it was to the north of the tower that is a no-no. And are you sure it was a Ford Explorer, and not a blue GMC Yukon (Blazer)?

I just reread your post, I see that you were in the south lot.

I hope you were at least professional (unlike your post here).

[Edited 2004-11-29 01:45:02]

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:45 am

yes.. it was the parking lot just SOUTH of the Tower, and it was a blue Ford Explorer. It was a King County Sheriff's deputy (in plain clothes, I asked to see his badge), that was harassing me. Once I produced my Boeing ID, he left me alone for the most part. (He still sat and watched me for a while.)

[Edited 2004-11-29 01:47:07]

ctbarnes

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:49 am

One suggestion if you want to spot at BFI is to use the parking lot at the Museum of Flight, which is right adjacent to the field. As long as you're unobtrusive, you should not attract a lot of paranoia. Alternatively you might also try the east end of the field using the parimiter road paralleling Airport Way S. The view is more restricted, but there is the bonus of a couple of airplane shops to boot.

Hope this doesn't scare you away from SEA entirely, and I hope you do get the job here.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

isitsafenow

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:50 am

It seems you wern't"run" so I guess things worked out.
I am NOT defending the overzealous cops but they do have a job to do. If he was convinced you were not a bad guy and left you there then ...so what?
I have been questioned a few times and run a few time but mostly for rail-fanning than around an airport.
At DTW or the parking deck at ORD, you WILL GET RUN...no questions asked, just get going, bud...
I have watched planes at Boeing field even when Clinton and Air Force One popped in.
No one was run....all people there were given the once over by the secret service minutes before the plane landed, but not told to leave.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

clickhappy

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:52 am

its just an odd story Steve, as I hang out with fellow spotters and photogs several times a week in this lot, sometimes with as many as 8 cars in a bunch, plus the usual 3-5 cars of random people sitting there watching the traffic.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:52 am

Oh Charles, I'm a local. I live down in Maple Valley. I just don't get into the city as much since I work in Renton. Anyway.. I did check out Airport Road on the eastern side (by the Aviator's Store), and I've been to the Museum of Flight previously. The MoF parking lot is pretty good, but it's just too far south. That spot where I was at was great because it was at the perfect spot to catch a G-V rotating right in front of me, and I saw a BEAUTIFUL Citation X landing with thrust reversers deployed. That was my main criteria for where I was at, it was better located then the MoF parking lot.

Steve

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:54 am

Yeah Royal.. it was odd to me too. I've been there a few times previously, and I thought I remembered seeing on the SEA Spotter webpage that this is one of your favorite spots.

So I'm still trying to figure out, if people spot there that often, and it's public place, why was he harassing me?

Steve

roseflyer

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:56 am

The Museum of Flight is a good place to stare at planes from because no one will bother you. It is perfectly normal for people to stand at the fence and watch for long periods of time and security there does not care at all. I have never had problems at BFI. Usually the only cops around are the Boeing security ones since it is a general aviation airport. I feel sorry for you being stopped, but the area near the control tower is not a good place. There are cops around there all the time. You are right about MoF being too far south though. Has anyone ever tried spotting at the terminal on the east side of the field? I have been there, but never for any period of time.

[Edited 2004-11-29 01:59:00]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:57 am

Also Royal... just as a side note. I'm saving up for a good camera right now.. so when I have the $$$, I'm interesting in join you and some of the other local spotters for some time at BFI/SEA, maybe grab a bite to eat or whatever. I'll be in touch to see when/where you guys are getting together.

Steve

jfkaua

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:59 am

i know its probably fustrating.. but look at it this way.. say your the cop and you see a guy looking closley at the way aircraft arrive and depart and the paths and where they pass over... imagine you don't say anything and the next day you see on the news that a arriving 747 was shot down out of that parking lock out of the back of the same car that you saw... you would of wished you at least just went over their and made sure nothing suspicious was going on... i mean i know its hard but whenever you get pissed at what someones doing... put your self in their shoes and pretend to know only what they would.. and then see what decision you would make...

ctbarnes

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:00 am

Sorry for the mix-up Steve. I forgot you live in the area...

On a separate note, if you ever get the opportunity to attend a function at the MoF, by all means do it. We hosted an international gathering of airport chaplains at the MoF which included dinner in their 3rd floor function room which includes an unobstructed view of the south end of the field and doors to an outside balcony where I spent the majority of my time. During the evening we had the opportunity to watch a number of the cargo aircraft including Airbourne 767's ATI and DHL DC-8's and UPS 757's taking off to the north. It was an opportunity I don't get anymore to watch movements from such a good vantage point.

Charles, SJ

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:03 am

As far as photography goes.. would they have a problem if I sat on top of my car (a little red '88 Camry) to get shots from over the top of the fence?

jhooper

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 am

say your the cop and you see a guy looking closley at the way aircraft arrive and depart and the paths and where they pass over...

there's nothing secret about aircraft arrival patterns--they're published by the FAA.....

BCAInfoSys , this has been happening all over this country for 3+ years. There are scores of threads on this board of stories just like this. Hopefully someday enthusiasts won't be viewed as suspected terrorists.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ctbarnes

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 am

As far as photography goes.. would they have a problem if I sat on top of my car (a little red '88 Camry) to get shots from over the top of the fence?

Well, er, there's only one way to find out...  Laugh out loud

Charles, SJ

[Edited 2004-11-29 02:13:32]

clickhappy

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 am

you dont need a camera to come hang out  Smile

N1120A

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:13 am

Quite frankly, I think you did everything right and the cop everything wrong. It gets really annoying when you get some scared of everything hick cop or a wannabe Super cop (or security guard) trying to push you around because they have a gun. Good on you for not folding to this guy and keeping your spot.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:16 am

Alright Royal. What are the general patterns you guys tend to stick to? Any particular times or locations? I assume it's usually more during the warmer months? (As the Nov/Dec drizzle doesn't do much for photography.. lol)

Feel free to e-mail me or IM me.

Steve

AIM: SteveAtUSU
MSN: shetzel@cc.usu.edu
E-mail: steve.hetzel@gmail.com

SATL382G

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 am

What really happened? It's hard to tell from the original post.

Was the cop rude or unprofessional in anyway? If he just asked for your ID and asked what you were doing I'd hardly say you were "harassed"
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:29 am

SATL382G... it was just his attitude and his arrogance. He was just some 2-bit thug with a gun who felt the need to harass and (attempt to) initimidate citizens, to compensate for his (lack of) manhood. When he first came up to the car, he just rudely asked me what my business was and if I was causing any trouble. I politely told him that I was on public property, I was interested in aviation and I was just watching aircraft. He said that it would probably be a good idea for me to get moving along, to which I responded that unless this was private poperty (which I knew it wasn't), or unless I was given a compelling reason, I would choose to stay where I was for another 20 minutes or so.

It wasn't in what he said, it was how he said it. He automatically assumed that I was "out to cause trouble" or whatnot. It perturbed me that he jumped to conclusions about me when I thought aircraft spotting was a pretty common occurance. He just seemed like one of these guys that liked to harass people to feel better about himself.  Angry

If he had been polite and unassuming about the whole matter, I wouldn't have had a problem with the whole affair. His attitude just instantly put me on the defensive when I didn't feel that I had any reason to be defensive about the matter.

Steve

[Edited 2004-11-29 02:32:33]

57AZ

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:38 am

Sorry to hear about your incident, but as SATL382G says, it hardly sounds like harassment. As far as the percieved "attitude", being authoritative is one of the first things they cover in police academy. Railfans have had a much harder time of it since 9/11 as well. Do be aware that even if you're on public property, the police can still tell you to move along, since many municipalities have anti-loitering laws. Mostly they are not enforced as law enforcement percieves it to be poor use of available manpower. Railfans not only have to contend with local police, but private police forces maintained by the individual railroad companies. The reason I say police forces is that they are officially recognized law enforcement agencies with sworn officers, who are empowered to make arrests and investigate crimes that occur on railroad property. Unlike private security, in most states they may conduct vehicle pursuits as long as the offense involved occurred on railroad property and they are allowed to use marked and unmarked police units. Get on the wrong side of a special agent and you'd think your Washington cop was "Officer Friendly."

[Edited 2004-11-29 03:43:14]
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

clickhappy

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:44 am

to fully understand how odd this story is you need some background info.

The parking lot in question is used by people from all walks of life to watch aircraft, eat lunch, take a nap in your car, etc etc.

It is in clear view of the BFI control tower, as well as the Airport Police station (staffed by the King County Sheriffs Office).

The police patrol the lot at all times, both airside and on the public side. Something just doesn't add up. Perhaps someone called the police on Steve, and they felt the need to follow up.

copter808

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:00 pm

It sounds to me like he was just doing his job. Your attitude sounds like it was a bit out of line too under the circumstances.

I've read your post 3 times now, and I still don't see what the problem was. You were sitting on public property, on or near an airport, paying particular attention to the activity on the airport. Suspicious? Depends on what each party is thinking. Your activity certainly does NOT appear suspicious ONCE THE FACTS ARE KNOWN! All the officer was trying to do was find out the facts.

It has been my experience that MOST of the time when an officer has contact with someone they think he is overbearing or coming on too strong, regardless of how polite he may be.

Let's face it, most people--myself included--don't like to have their activities questioned by someone in authority, We have to realize though things are different after 9/11. I also have to wonder how you made the determination that he was "a two bit thug" and how you knew anything about his manhood!

You were questioned because the officer was looking for answers. Your answers and attitude determine his next step. (Do they make sense?) If your answers did not sound plausible, there would be a whole lot more questions.

The officer did his job by observing you, asking a few questions, and apparently satisfied by your answers, left you alone.

What do YOU think he should have done under the circumstances?

squad55

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:11 pm

Steve;

Maybe he asked you like that to get a rise out of you... Therefore he knows you are telling the truth??

I would not call him a thug or less of a man. That man lays down his life for our safety every single day....... He is doing his job.. He is doing a job that puts him in potential danger at any moment. You cannot expect him to be understanding because you are an airplane spotter. Maybe he doesn't' know anything or care about aviation. I have an interest in Law Enforcement and have spent many hours on ride a longs in the BFI area. I take his behavior as normal, he was just doing his job.

BIGBlack

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:57 pm

I would rather have that happen then to have no one care what you were doing at all. It is good to know there are people on the job who care about our security. Times have changed
Someone special in the air

BR715-A1-30

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:20 pm

I would have done the same thing...EXCEPT FOR ONE DETAIL...

Had I been the cop, I would have asked you to get out of the car, and struck a conversation with you... That is the best way to tell whether or not someone is out to cause trouble.. If they start talking to me in a good tone happy that somebody is interested in what they are doing, then I know my answer... If they start fidgeting wishing I'd hurry up and leave then I will NOT leave. I would have asked you questions like "Do you work here or know anybody who works here?" or "Do you do this often?" or "Mind if I sit here with you for a minute or two and watch with you?"

There are ways of doing things that cause someone to have a better position towards you. Unfortunately, the way this cop approached you was wrong, and could have done it in a less sassy way.
Puhdiddle

767ALLTHEWAY

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:27 pm

I feel that the officer in this situation was in the right. I cant comment on his "attitude" but he was doing his job. We all know that post 9/11 everyone is more alert, especially law enforcement personnel. And I would consider it harassment if this happened on more than one occasion.

"He was just some 2-bit thug with a gun who felt the need to harass and (attempt to) intimidate citizens, to compensate for his (lack of) manhood"

And I certainly hope that this is not your impression of all police officers, that is simply an unfair statement to make about a police officer, its people like him, and other public safety officials (first responders) that are our first line of defense at home, sacrificing their time to make our country safer.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:28 pm

BCAInfoSys: "yes.. it was the parking lot just SOUTH of the Tower, and it was a blue Ford Explorer. It was a King County Sheriff's deputy (in plain clothes, I asked to see his badge), that was harassing me. Once I produced my Boeing ID, he left me alone for the most part. (He still sat and watched me for a while.)"

If he left you alone, for the most part, after you produced your ID then what are you sniveling about. Maybe you ought to trade jobs with him for a week or two or three . . .

The officer just doing his job . . . not an easy environment anywhere these days . . . you ought to be glad he checked you out . . .

Perhaps if he'd just blown you off, not asked you any questions, we'd be reading a different kind of thread - something like "Officer's blows me off in parknig lot - I could been a bad guy".

Relax, take a Darvon or a Ritalin, have a shot of crown or something and be thankful for the folks out there trying to protect you . . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

itsjustme

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:20 pm

As an employee in the airline industry, I would think you'd appreciate the diligence of an officer trying to protect the safety of airliners. But instead, you feel you were "harassed" simply because an officer was doing his job? What was he supposed to do, present you with a bouquet of roses prior to asking to see your indentification?

I'm with the others here who are of the opinion that something isn't right about the story you're telling. And if your attitude with him was anywhere close to what it was in your post, I'd say he used a lot of restraint in allowing you to stay where you were. Public parking lot or not, had he been the "2 bit thug with a gun" you describe, he would have ordered you to leave and had you refused, arrested you for any number of things (loitering, disorderly conduct, creating a public nuisance, or obstructing a law officer in the performance of his duties just to name a few).

N1120A

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:25 pm

>As an employee in the airline industry, I would think you'd appreciate the diligence of an officer trying to protect the safety of airliners. But instead, you feel you were "harassed" simply because an officer was doing his job? What was he supposed to do, present you with a bouquet of roses prior to asking to see your indentification?<

There is no dilligence here. First off, the only airliners at BFI are the ones that are being built. Second, harassing someone in a public parking lot who is obviously not holding a weapon or attacking anyone is just that, harrassing them. He should be out arresting criminals, not harassing plane spotters.

>I'm with the others here who are of the opinion that something isn't right about the story you're telling. And if your attitude with him was anywhere close to what it was in your post, I'd say he used a lot of restraint in allowing you to stay where you were. Public parking lot or not, had he been the "2 bit thug with a gun" you describe, he would have ordered you to leave and had you refused, arrested you for any number of things (loitering, disorderly conduct, creating a public nuisance, or obstructing a law officer in the performance of his duties just to name a few).<

It sounds like Steve paid the officer a lot more respect than the officer paid him. He produced the ID asked for, explained his position and went on. He complained here, but he is allowed to do that. BTW, if he had arrested him for any of those things, he would have opened himself and his municipality up to a law suit and likely lost his job or been sanctioned.

itsjustme

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:35 pm

Second, harassing someone in a public parking lot who is obviously not holding a weapon or attacking anyone is just that, harrassing them

And the officer would be able to determine these things how? By ESP? Osmosis? Consulting a fortune teller? Getting out his trusty crystal ball? Nooooooo, he makes contact with that person and makes a determination then.

BTW, if he had arrested him for any of those things, he would have opened himself and his municipality up to a law suit and likely lost his job or been sanctioned.

Ah, wrong again. He would have been making a lawful arrest.

N1120A

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:40 pm

>And the officer would be able to determine these things how? By ESP? Osmosis? Consulting a fortune teller? Getting out his trusty crystal ball? Nooooooo, he makes contact with that person and makes a determination then.<

Hmm, take one look at the guy and see that he is not carrying a bazooka or rocket launcher. They are kind of hard to miss.

>Ah, wrong again. He would have been making a lawful arrest.<

Only in the eyes of a police officer who forgets that there are 2 parts to the phrase "to protect and to serve" and who forgets that part of their oath is to uphold the constitution and the laws of the State of Washington (or CA for that matter).

itsjustme

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:44 pm

Hmm, take one look at the guy and see that he is not carrying a bazooka or rocket launcher. They are kind of hard to miss.

Yeah, OK. I think someone forgot to take their medication today.

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:46 pm

N1120a: "There is no dilligence here. First off, the only airliners at BFI are the ones that are being built. Second, harassing someone in a public parking lot who is obviously not holding a weapon or attacking anyone is just that, harrassing them. He should be out arresting criminals, not harassing plane spotters."

You obviously haven't been to BFI, because if you had, you see it's on the approach to SEA. Oh, and ahhhh, not to mention BFI being an active field, getting commercial traffic, GA traffic, etc. Perhaps iIf you'd ever been there your posts wouldn't show your ignorance - and quite obvious disdain for the law . . .

And I don't read any proof that the poor Boeing widget was being harrassed. What I see is a law enforcement officer exercising due diligence and well within the limits of the law of this land.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N1120A

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:48 pm

>Yeah, OK. I think someone forgot to take their medication today. <

I am not requesting a deletion because I want people to see that post to determine its credibility.

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Itsjustme: Yeah, OK. I think someone forgot to take their medication today.

Agree 100 percent - him and Mr. Boeing (BCAInfoSys) both need some Ridalin or a Darvon or something . . . .

N1120A

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:55 pm

>Agree 100 percent - him and Mr. Boeing (BCAInfoSys) both need some Ridalin or a Darvon or something . . . .<

Yeah, drugs, that is a good thing. Maybe then we will listen to everything everyone tells us to do and not think independently or protest when we are wronged.

itsjustme

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:33 pm

N1120a.....seriously....you and BCAInfoSys gotta lighten up a little bit. Like it or not, a lone person sitting in a parking lot, public or otherwise, for an extended period of time can constitute suspicioius activity. Throw into the mix the presence of low flying aircraft and that heightens the possibility of foul play. And, as someone else mentioned, who's to say the officer wasn't responding to a complaint made by a citizen? What should we do in that case, tell the complainant, "Well, we don't want to offend the person sitting in their car or be accused of harassment so we're just going to ignore your complaint"? No, of course not.

And, if the officer gave "Steve" a little attitude, so be it. Cops have bad days, too. Maybe he had just seen a kid beaten to a pulp by a step parent or a drugged out boyfriend. My point is, there are more important things to get cheezed up about than some cop doing his job and maybe, mayyyyyyybe displaying a bit of an attitude while doing so.

767ALLTHEWAY

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 pm

"Hmm, take one look at the guy and see that he is not carrying a bazooka or rocket launcher. They are kind of hard to miss."

Well, correct me if im wrong, but a police officer, in a vehicle, looking at another vehicle, probably cant see if there are any weapons, such as a bazooka, or rocket launcher in the back seat or on the floor.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

FLY2LIM

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:13 am

I am always amazed at some of the "geniuses" that post on a.net. Yes, there was someone with a very serious attitude problem, but this time it was not the cop. He is paid to do his job, and law enforcement (I am not in law enforcement) operates under different rules because of the basic nature of the job.
To question his manhood because the little boy (that would be the person posting) didn't get his wish to watch the little airplanes fly by is simply childish. Yes, I too can be sarcastic.
By the way, and many Americans don't seem to understand this, public property means that it was purchased with public funds, usually originated with taxpayer dollars. It does not mean you OWN it, even though you may have "paid" for it.
Basically, the American skies are under siege. And it only takes one rocket launcher (not as easy to detect as some of you claim) and one downed 737 for the whole system to go to hell.
FLY2LIM
Yes, America is paranoid and for good reason.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

ctbarnes

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:25 am

Yes, America is paranoid and for good reason.

I disagree. Reasoned, anticipatory strategies and accurate intelligence are far more effective than the current taste for raging knee-jerk paranoia.

If harassing spotters is the best we can accomplish with the billions being poured into domestic counterterrorism efforts, then we are in serious trouble.

Charles, SJ

pilotaydin

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:30 am

look it's just unfortunate....the cop did his job, and the poster was trying to do his job by being an avid aviation enthusiast... perhaps they did or did not take things personal, but some people are over reacting. I can see why the poster was frustrated, because it seems personal when things like that happen, but it's the way we must live now for a long time if not forever. I wouldnt clam onto the poster for his reactions and this and that, everyone has their own personality, knocking what he did, is in a way knocking who he is, which is disrespectful and he doesnt seem to have been disrespectful to the cop. Seeing as 9/11 happened, there is always going to be a clash. 2 summers ago i was questioned by police in Zurich, by the fence on my bike, bc i was stopping and taking pics near a small shoulder in the road. This is by no means an American issue, it is global, it just happens more frequently in the USA due to bigger population and access to aviation, as well as the obvious location of the tragedy in 2001. Also because americans of this generation have never been 1st hand winesses of terrorism until 9/11, wars and battles have been off US soil for years before...so i can't blame them for the way they react. It is important to filter what to be paranoid about, as it can burn bridges VERY fast...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

BigOrange

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:36 am

BCAInfoSys

You should try spotting here in NY then you'd know what hassle was!

You just gotta live with it and realize that the guys are just doing their job. They may have an attitude problem, but they are the ones in control. As long as you are co-operative, 99% of the time they will let you stay, and if they don't you either leave and go find somewhere else, in another cop's jurisdiction, or leave and go home and return another day.

I have no problem, with being asked to explain myself, what I do have a problem with is idiot cops. Go to BWI and sit in the observation deck for a few minutes, see how fast the cops show up and ask you to leave for "acting suspiciously" Then you just leave and go to the Dorsey Road viewing area, which is patrolled by Maryland State Troopers and not the airport cops.

AA777

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:47 am

I had a similar experience at DCA. I was very very mad.... best thing to do is to keep on going and ignore these experiences as much as u can. Some cops are just bored and have nothing better to do than to hassle people because they can. Lol, I love how taking pics is a dangerous thing....

-AA777

ScarletHarlot

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:57 am

I've met Steve, and he is a good dude. I would be frustrated by the situation as well. It doesn't hurt for the cop to ask politely what the deal is. Nobody would have a problem with that. When the attitude comes out, that's when it gets personal.

I was questioned once up at PAE and was pleased to explain what I was doing there because I was asked politely. No problems there. I can understand why someone feels the need to ask why I'm sitting watching airplanes. But it should not automatically be assumed that I'm doing something illegal or criminal if I'm sitting watching airplanes!

By the way, Steve does not look scary in the least bit, nor does he need "Ridalin". So he's complaining about rude treatment by a cop. No need to slam him.

Charles - are you working at SEA on Sunday? I'm flying out to IAH around 1, and would love to say hello.
But that was when I ruled the world

LN-MOW

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:19 am

The cops at BFI are generally nice. I pulled over by the UPS terminal this morning to get a pic of a parked MD11 and a police car passed by as I jumped down from the hood of my Jeep. A friendly wave and a smile from me brought the same back from him, and we were both on our way.

I've been checked out at Renton and Everett .. happens to everyone once in a while, nothing to get upset about. Goes with the hobby.

- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

FLY2LIM

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:15 am

A.netters live by the belief that everyone should be comfortable with their habit (hobby, past time, whatever) of spotting. As such, the seem to believe that they are exempt from all laws and regulations. That is the feeling one gets from reading these posts.
For those who don't know, there are laws that deal with "loitering" in the United States (where BFI is located). If you are in a parking lot, be it public or private, you are loitering. For those who don't understand, it simply means that you cannot just sit around a place with no purpose (I'm not a cop or lawyer). Think about it, if there was someone standing around your house, doing nothing in particular, you would call the police. If there was a person sitting in a restaurant but not eating, they would be asked to leave. It's the same principle (again, I'm not a lawyer).
People here obviously don't understand the word "harass" very well. Being asked for ID, even if they use a stern voice, does not mean you are being "harassed". Remember, you don't own the property where you spot and you are subject to removal if the owner (or operator) deems it necessary.
As far as this country being paranoid, it simply is too easy to bring a jet down these days, so the authorities have to take matters into their own hands to prevent this. It's reality and anyone who disagrees doesn't realize the severity of the situation.
Funny how those who bash police are the same ones who would call them incompetent if a plane was brought down by a missile, or if their house caught fire and burned to the ground.
Some people need to grow up.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

ctbarnes

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:54 am

are you working at SEA on Sunday? I'm flying out to IAH around 1, and would love to say hello.

Unfortunately Thursday and Saturday are my airport days.  Sad Drop me an E-mail the next time you're at SEA if you're traveling thorugh on one of those days.

Thanks!

Charles, SJ

N1120A

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:36 am

>You obviously haven't been to BFI, because if you had, you see it's on the approach to SEA. Oh, and ahhhh, not to mention BFI being an active field, getting commercial traffic, GA traffic, etc. Perhaps iIf you'd ever been there your posts wouldn't show your ignorance - and quite obvious disdain for the law . . . <

I guess you don't read profiles here and that shows your ignorance as to how I hold the law. If you did, you would know that I have anything but disdain for it.
Second, my parents live under what is sometimes the approach to NAS Pt. Magu, an even more secure facility than BFI. They get lots of C-130s, and a fair number of F/A-18s and F-14s flying over. Should the police be there every day checking them out?

>And I don't read any proof that the poor Boeing widget was being harrassed. What I see is a law enforcement officer exercising due diligence and well within the limits of the law of this land<

Asking as to Steve's business was marginally legal, treating him like a criminal was not

clickhappy

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:47 am

for anyone interested we are planning a large get together on Wednesday, several people well know to this website are visiting, along with us usual suspects