Media And Airlines In Your Country...

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:16 am

Hey there, I've been wondering about the local and the widespread media across all of your countries. Is there a particular media group that "picks" on an airline that you know of? Be it CNN or something local in India that many wouldnt know about....

What airline if any, do they pick on ? how do they do it?

I know here in Turkey, the private newspapers are ready to pull the trigger with the SLIGHTEST of incidents on Turkish Airlines, from rowdy passenger to lost luggage ->Front page or back above the fold in color.
They are quite nice about private airlines, their incidents and accidents are on the inside pages, in a small box in the corners without photos most of the time.

on the contrary, anybody know of a local paper/tv etc, that gives fair coverage to airlines and incidents ?
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

RE: Media And Airlines In Your Country...

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:19 am

In the U.S., generally the major tv news mediums are only concerned with accidents, job strikes, bankruptcies, or job losses. Sometimes you get a brief mention of airlines raising fares or cutting fares and price matching. On internet and print media, you often get more bang for the buck including announcements of new routes, sometimes airport gate changes, changing check in procedures, new airline alliances, etc.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 am

Here, the media believes literally EVERYTHING that Lion Airlines says without even using their common sense before posting it! Examples:

1. Fly a 1996 built MD82... (advert and articles)... Fact: the 1996 MD82 was given back to the lessor, who leased it to Bouraq (who have now ceased their MD82 ops)... Average first flight date of their fleet... 1985...

2. Unfair treatment by airports... Fact: They never mentioned that they refused to pay airport fees at an airport where one of their planes crashed due to pilot negligence, nor do they ever mention that they moved crew from hotel to hotel in Makassar (WAAA) because they don't pay their hotel bills...

And so on and so on...

However, once Garuda has a problem (even an aborted take off)... it goes allover the media!

Some people suspect that Lion gives out "brown envelopes" to journalists who want to write the bad side of Lion...

When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Out here Air Deccan was being pushed around a lot,The pet boys are 9W no doubt.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)