FLY777UAL
Topic Author

SAN Construction

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:44 am

Just wondering what the plans are with the construction going on at Southwest gate 1. Noticed that they recently expanded the WN security check, which greatly helped the security wait times, but definitely want gate 1 back for my SMF flights!

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Av8trxx

RE: SAN Construction

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:02 am

The Port closed gate 1 & 2 after the earthquake a while back. Since they had to inspect the wing before they could reopen it, it was the right time to begin the jetway addition project. They plan to reopen it maybe by June '05. The SMF flights may or may not go back there when it does open. They are considering putting a few long hauls down there, the SAN SW facilities manager tells me.

FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:11 am

Was it the earthquake off of Tijuana?

I really hope the SMF flights go back there, but it definitely is a shame they're adding jetways. Is it going to be one jetway off of the Gate 1 (Preboard) area and one off of Gate 2 (general boarding)?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Av8trxx

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:17 am

Having no jetways was pretty cool. However it makes it difficult in poor weather or when there are wheel chairs because you need a special lift. Many Ops agents aren't crazy about pushing around the airstairs either. As I understand it, there is going to be one jetway per gate for each gates operations. Just like all the other gates in the rotunda, not one j/w for preboards and one for general. There are actually three gates in that area if you count gate 1a but the facilities guy said gates 1 & 2 were getting j/w's. (Perhaps with the jetways installed, the safety zones take up too much space to put a jetway at 1a also? I'd have to ask him.)

FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:49 am

Thanks for the information, Av8trxx!

One last question:
With the jetways in place, are they going to make ramps up to the jetway attach points at the terminal, or are they going to actually elevate the entire Gate 1/1a/2 concourse?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L