jumbojim747

Do We Really Need Meals On Short Hops?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:46 pm

Im just wondering do we really need to be served a meal on a 1 or 2 hour flight.?
I for one prefer to save the money im charged on the ticket sale and have a good meal before or after the flight.
On a wing and a prayer

ktachiya

RE: Do We Really Need Meals On Short Hops?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:48 pm

I don't know if this helps but a subsidy of ANA, Air Japan believes that they don't need a meal on the KIX-ICN run. A 1 hour and 25 minute flight time on certain days. For this reason, the airline doesn't serve anything and this helps in trimming the costs.

Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:51 pm

Two comment here . . . .

First, if you're saving $$$ on a ticket I'd be surprised . . . . if the fare increases don't get you, all the bullshit service charges (that are rarely advertised or disclosed) certainly will.

Second, If you're going to eat before or after the flight, what's the difference. Your out the $$$ anyway.

I agree, no need for meals on a 1-2 hour flight, probably mediocre food anyway.

I fly F and I'm quite satisfied with a couple drinks and a snack . . . and by snack I don't mean a bag of pretzels . . . perhaps some cheese and crackers, something similar.

[Edited 2004-11-30 08:52:48]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Leskova

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:53 pm

Personally, I'd say it's not necessary - not to mention that it's barely done in any of the regions that I fly in more or less regularly...

The last real meal that I was served was on a Sun Air flight from DUR to JNB, but that's a few years back already... since then, it's been somewhere along the lines of a piece of chocolate here, or a candy bar there - something which I could easily do without.

The one thing that I wouldn't want to miss, though, is something to drink: on two of my recent intra-European short hops, on OS and LX, I experienced their respective "buy-on-board" schemes: on OS you still got something to drink (not a wide selection, but nonetheless - coffee, tea, water) for free, while LX even charged for those...

I guess the real question is: what price decrease, if any, would we see if airlines like LH, BA, QF, SA or similar were to take whatever is left of the "meal service" away: the problem that I see is that I doubt that we'd be seeing a decrease in fares at all, but just an increase in earnings for the airline.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

jumbojim747

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:59 pm

ANCFlyer
Second, If you're going to eat before or after the flight, what's the difference. Your out the $$$ anyway.
Yes i agree but at least i will get what i like to eat before or after the flight not some cheap meal packed in a processing line .
Also half the time i don't like the food that's dished out to me .
Ktachiya
that's exactrly what i mean thx for the reply ANCFlyer and Ktachiya and Leskova

[Edited 2004-11-30 09:00:08]
On a wing and a prayer

spacecadet

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 pm

If it's a 1 hour flight, no, probably no meal necessary, but the question is at what point does it become necessary? How long a flight? A 2 hour early morning flight, I might expect a breakfast, especially if I'm going across time zones (so for example, I leave at 7 AM and arrive at 10 AM... which means I probably arrived at the airport at 5:30, boarded at 6:30, and won't get out on the other end until 10:30-11... without a meal on the plane you've basically just skipped it completely). Same applies for dinner. Depends on the time of day and whether you're crossing time zones.

I think we should remember that a 1 hour flight is not really 1 hour of your time. Even if you time everything out exactly right it's probably at least 3 hours out of your day, including travel time to and from the airport, security clearance, check-in, boarding times, de-planing, baggage claim, etc. You could build in time for eating at the airport but a) airport food is a ripoff, horribly overpriced usually and not very good, so you may as well just pay the five bucks built into your ticket for airline food if that's what you'd planned to do, and b) you're saving neither money nor time if you do that, you're in fact wasting both. So I don't really see the point.

I don't think anybody would have a problem going 3 hours out of their life without a meal, but 4 hours (say, a 2 hour flight) starts to become less reasonable if it's a 6 or 7 AM flight, or a 6 PM flight, or something like that. I think 2 hour flights should usually have a meal service, and of course any flights longer than that as well.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

jumbojim747

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:39 pm

Spacecadet
A valid point you raised here .
Hay if you where traveling first class you would have a meal worthy of being called a meal and charged the price to boot.(with silver cutlery and all)
But us normal people who are normal travelers might get some peace of whatever with some mash potato and something to drink.
I would prefer to wait the extra few hours.
On a wing and a prayer

flyboy1980

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:33 pm

It took ppl a while here to get used to no meals when Air NZ swapped to the "Express Class" low-cost model.

The longest domestic flights in NZ are AKL-CHC (1.5 hours) AKL-ZQN/DUD at about 1 hr 50) CHC-ROT (at about 1 hr 20 mins to 1 hr 50 depending on 737 or ATR 72). People were quite upset at the prospect of only getting tea, coffee, water and a cookie.

I mean, I could handle a 5 hour flight with no food. Perhaps 7 at a stretch. We certainly don't need to snack on an hourly basis!

No wonder they've just increased the std weight of a human by 10kg (to 80kgs average) when balancing a/c!

fbgdavidson

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:38 pm

On Saturday I did four flightsin European C Class, all between 1hr and 2hrs in length. I'd have been pretty peeved if I was fed on none of them!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:39 pm

JumboJim747: "Hay if you where traveling first class you would have a meal worthy of being called a meal and charged the price to boot.(with silver cutlery and all)"

Silver Cutlery, Ha Ha Ha . . . .Silver Cutlery, HA HA HA HA HA, sorry, it's not you JumboJim747, it's the Silver Cutlery remark HA HA HA, ohhhh, HA HA HA!!!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jumbojim747

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:57 pm

ANCFlyer
If all this thread achieves is making someone laugh id be happy with that .
im glad you liked that remark but its the state of what we have become .
Thanks all for the replies a great bunch of people here at anet.
Flyboy1980
that's not an exaduration we have become over reliant on food to beat the boredom say to speak.
Fbgdavidson
On Saturday I did four flightsin European C Class, all between 1hr and 2hrs in length. I'd have been pretty peeved if I was fed on none of them!
Do you mean ( if i was NOT fed on none of them ) ?
On a wing and a prayer

ZKSUJ

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:00 pm

NZ's domestic class 'Express Class' used to serve Coffe or Tea and a cookie. Now they have cut back on the cookie and give out chocolate squares instead. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I think it would be too much of a rush for both crew and passengers on short flights.

dstc47

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:44 pm

Perhaps not.

But then

Leave home 04.30, to drive to the airport for a flight leaving 06.30.
Check in is chaotic, no food.
Fly 1.30 sector, with no food.
Make a transit with minimum connecting time, no food and then a
Further sector 1.30 or 2.00 hours, with no food.
Airport to city meeting 1.00 hours, no food.

Not a lot of fun and then you go to a really dull meeting. Perhaps just as much fun coming back too.

So it depends, if you are a leisure traveller, with time to eat elsewhwer, or a wage slave with a schedule to meet.

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:02 pm

OK, seriously, I won't laugh at the "Silver Cutlery" remark in an earlier post (again).

Seriously, most folks here have a definite point - like Dstc47. If you're a Road Warrior, constantly on the go, up at 0400, airport at 0500, plane leaves at 0630 (but you've spent 20 minutes checking in, 45 minutes pissin' around with the TSA Nazis and boarded), then fly say LGA-CLT and now you're on the ground in CLT at 0740, with a new departure time on your connection at 0830, you have to go from B to C (moving sidewalks not withstanding), now you're on your CLT-JAX flight and again and airborne.

No time to eat anything, no time to really do much at all. Of course, every scenario won't be this way - but the only apparent "down time" you've had all morning has been sitting on the plane.

Sure, you could grab a expensive, ready to go, breakfast-like rolled up object at an airport concession and carry it aboard, but hey - you fly like 20,000+ miles a month on this airline, the least they could do is feed you, right, especially if you're in F . . . if you're a road warrior, you're probably in F - don't expect the "Silver Cutlery" though. And on US don't even expect a glass glass . . . plastic is in! Styrofoam is the hot ticket.

I invite you to look at airlinemeals.net. Go check out the European carriers, specifically their short haul flights. Hell, they're serving breakfast on ERJs over there . . . with segments of an hour or a bit longer.

Problem in the USA is a) cheap SOBs running the show; b) cheap SOBs buyin the tickets; c) everyone wants something for nothing.

Of course, that's just my opinion . . . let the flaming begin . . . .

[Edited 2004-11-30 14:09:39]

fbgdavidson

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:15 pm

Do you mean ( if i was NOT fed on none of them ) ?

'Not fed on none' is a double negative thereby in this situation you were given food.

Clarification: I would be annoyed if I was given no food on my four flights since they were between 1-2hrs
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

bustraveler

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:37 pm

Is it necessary? Probably not. But this past Wednesday I flew ATL - DFW in Business on Delta. Flight left approximately 6PM and to my surprise, they served a snack in Business. It was a cobb salad and surprisingly was very very good. It was a nice touch. Delta will definately be keeping my business. Silver right now....moving up to Gold by the middle of December!

jeb94

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:03 am

I don't really think it is necessary to have food on a 2 hour flight. There are plenty of opportunities to grab something along the way in most airports. Also, a number of airlines are now allowing passengers to bring their own food, within reason of course. Now, on a 3 hour flight its starting to ask a bit much to not serve food and I feel you must serve something on 4 hour or longer flights. The average interval between meals is probably something around 5 hours for many so, considering they have been unable to get food for about that length of time, they need at least a decent snack to hold them over until they can get a real meal.

avek00

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:08 am

Thankfully, my airline of choice (CO) continues to serve food on short hops, because according to Bethune, when passengers are hungry, folks start to notice shortcomings about the airline that they don't care about if they've eaten.
Live life to the fullest.

jeb94

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:16 am

Can't argue too much with Bethune. He's probably one of the better airline managers currently around. Continental has a new fleet, stays relatively quiet in the news, minimal labor problems, and seems very well positioned to take advantage of the larger airlines' struggles. I think the only better positioned airline is Northwest with their old airplanes.

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 am

Ok say an American airline doesn't serve you no food at all on these hops how much can you save on the airline ticket ?
On a wing and a prayer

Ken777

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:37 am

In the US there are too many trips through hubs with connections to just consider the length of one flight - it's the total travel time a pax has that counts in getting hungry. Airlines have focused on the length of each trip and dramatically cut the meal services. There have been a few times when I thought about taking a nice, hot pizza on board, but figured I would be attacked by the other paxs.

I did take a one hour SYD to MEL flight last month in J and QF was able to deliver a full hot meal to us with no problem. BA on European flights also beat the socks off of US airlines when it came to food.

September11

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:31 am

We really need meals on short hop flights!

Question: Why?

Answer: We must eat food anyway!

Simple enough...

Airliners.net of the Future

laca773

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:02 am

It's nice in other countries with the exception of the United States, that the majority of airlines serve light meals on short trips. I hear people complaining all the time about the meals served on short hauls, and compared to what we get, I'd be greatful to get something [it's very interesting to see what is serviced on airlinemeals.net].

It's a real shame that on routes like LAX-ORD, LAX-DTW, LAX-MSP you get a measly frozen sandwhich and some other tiny items, and then on routes like LAX-ATL, LAX-CVG, and now LAX-JFL [on DL], you have to pay for stuff like that and it is a shame that when you do pay high fares on the LCC's they are so frugal with the inflight catering options. I still remember the times DL put out some great snacks on shorter trips under 2.5 hours, and great hot tray options on flights longer than that, and even steak in the main cabin [including a printed menu in Y on the JFK-LAX-JFK runs]. AS used to have some great service and they have cutback tremendously due to the competion and the discount carriers but at the same time, those cut backs came with lower, simplified fares, and for those willing to pay the difference you can upgrade to F and still get a nice snack or meal. AS is also still serving substantial meals on their long hauls. At least CO is consistent with their inflight services and want to keep customers happy.

Any thoughts would be apreciated especially from those of you doing the inflight service.
Have a great evening.

prebennorholm

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:19 am

Last time I was on a three hours flight I was immensely hungry when boarding the plane - having just worked eight hours straight without one single bite.

Luckily it was a low cost carrier with no ordinary catering, so I could buy four large sandwishes and two large Cokes at only some $20.

Had it been in the "good old days" when we got that "same size fits all" plastic feeding, then I would have starved to death.

I love the new system. When I buy transportation from A to B, then that's what I get. No more, no less. When I want to buy food, then I buy food. The food I need. No more, no less.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Cactus739

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:45 am

Do we need food on short hops? Yes and no.

If I'm doing the 2 hour flight from Phoenix to Kansas City, I don't need fed. I'm old enough to know that I won't be eating on the plane and will feed myself at the airport or when I get there. If I'm doing 2 hours to Dallas, then a layover just long enough to haul a$$ to my next flight then another 2 hour flight, I'd like some sort of snack. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something. A plain bagle is remarkably filling when you've had nothing to eat.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Jalalabad

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:05 pm

unless you don't want beverage service either, the airline still has to pay caterers to service the flight. the cost of food would be spared of course, but it isn't going to trim anyone's workload to not put on one more cart and the oven racks. just some input.

flyboy1980

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:29 pm

Most of us are adults.

If we can't manage to either -

a) last 1 or 2 hours without a meal

OR

b) bring our own sandwich and bottle of coke

then there is definitely something wrong with the world!!

sllevin

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Posts here have pretty much come down to "business vs. leisure" travellers.

Put me in the "food" category. There have been tons of times when timing hasn't allowed me to "just grab something." And airport food is such a deal?

Steve

Carpethead

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:52 pm

I could care less if the airline gives me anything on a flight duration less than 1.5 hours whether I am flying for business or leisure. Above 1.5 hours, its iffy depending on the time of the flight, but I wouldn't throw a tantrum even if they didn't.
For example, I don't recall any meal service on red-eye transcons across the US and those are four plus hours long. The reason is that most people do to sleep for the duration of the flight.

In Japan, no meals are served in econ. The longest sector is over three hours but that's just one flight from tip to tip. 99% of all flights are less than two hours long, so its just better to do away with it anyways and the flight attendants have less to do.

AeroWesty

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:56 pm

The most welcome inflight meal I've ever had was on a short 35 minute flight on Transavia from LGW-AMS, where they fed everyone in Business Class hot roast pork loin, hot rolls, etc., along with cocktail service. This meal was served to me after having flown all night, being rather hungry, and not having enough time during the connection to sit down and eat. Yes, I could have survived without it, but every time I get hungry on the second flight of two which are too short for meal service these days, I get a craving for pork loin and a Campari.  Smile

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

AirAmericaC46

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:08 pm

Yes, we do need food and drinks regardless of flight duration!

My top reasons:

1. Being served something by a polite, good-looking FA during flight is half the fun.

2. If Amtrak Acela First Class can serve beverage, red wine, nuts and tapas on a very short PHL-EWR run, they should also do it on short run domestic first/business class.

3. To bring back respect for the airlines and the staff.

4. If the airline is saving money, they can provide a trolley snack/beverage service for a fee similar to Shinkansen Bullet Trains. I had much fun with that service on a recent Tokyo to Odawara 45-minute run, the staff was very polite indeed and the wide variety of snack choices was an experience in itself.

5. One of the top reasons why I fly JetBlue is because of the "unlimited" food and beverage service by good-looking flight attendants even for such a short flight like JFK-BTV.

6. The classic (respected) airline service during the glory days served food on all flights: Just an example on a daily Northwest 747 trip to Asia in the 70s:

JFK - IAD breakfast

IAD - ORD hot lunch

ORD - ANC hot dinner

ANC - HND hot dinner

HND - OKA hot dinner

OKA - MNL snack

ckfred

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:30 pm

We're not going to get back to the days when airlines offered complete chicken or beef dinners on flight like ORD-MCI. But it does make sense to offer something more substantial than pretzels on a 2-hour flight that leaves between 6-8am, 11am-12:30pm or 5-7pm.

I often find that the places that I can seat and eat at airports are never adjacent to my boarding gate, and I don't enjoy sitting at the gate and eating a Big Mac and fries balance on my lap. On top of that, a Value Meal at ORD is $1 to $2 more than the McDonald's near my house. So the supposed savings on my airline ticket are partly going to the concession stands at the airport.

What gripes me is when I have an 8am departure out of SEA for ORD. The arrival time at ORD is 1:45, so I'm flying during 2 meals, but I get on little bag of food. With an 8am departure, I'm leaving the hotel and not getting any of the free continental breakfast.

I remember when I was young that UA used to serve hot danish on morning flights between ORD and MSP. For a flight just over an hour, that is a reasonable amount of food. For a flight of 2 hours, some kind of breakfast sandwich or a substantial deli sandwich, with chips, a kosher pickle, and a big cookie or pudding cup would be fine. But for flights of 4 hours or more, I think a full meal is appropriate.

I once stayed at a Marriott in the Bay Area that had an early-dinner special that included entree with potatoes and vegatable, soup or salad, and beverage for $9.95. The entree choices included red snapper, chicken, pasta, or prime rib. If Marriott can stay in business with dinner prices that low, I don't see why airlines can't offer a little more food.

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:08 pm

I don't have a problem with connecting flights serving meals even if they are short hops. but
Ken777
I did take a one hour SYD to MEL flight last month in J and QF was able to deliver a full hot meal to us with no problem.
Its these sort of flights i see no need for meals.
On a wing and a prayer

flybyguy

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:12 pm

My question to the community... how do airlines save money by selling food on flights? Don't they have to buy them from the distributors anyway? And they probably don't sell all of these pre-packed meals so the remainder goes in the trash?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Skydrol

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:24 pm

I am a large person, and I like to eat!!

For me, memorable inflight service would include more than just pretzels. Lousy inflight service would be a half-filled plastic cup of soda, juice or a nasty coffee.

If there is enough time for meal service, they should provide it. Besides, any surplus meals provide maintenance employees a reason to raid the galley when an aircraft arrives in the hangar.  Big thumbs up

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

IndianGuy

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:15 pm

For me its a convenience issue. Most times when I am flying I am in a tearing rush and usually dont even have time to take a shower b4 leaving (i have done that in waiting rooms of airport terminals umpteen times!!) forget about eating! In most cases the only time i get to eat food is on the flight!

Thankfully most domestic carriers here serve excellent food even in Y!

-Roy

vtdl

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 pm

I agree with many of you that for 1-2 hour flight, no need to serve food.

But we need to consider transfer too. Something that is a killer. In June, we went from SFO to LAX (1 hr) departed at 6:30pm (we would have to start eating at 5:00. That is too early for me.) With the transfer at LAX, rechecking, delay, by the time I got any food in my stomach, it was after 11pm. My stomach was killing me.

OK. I change my mind. Give me a cold sandwich or something, I will trash it if I don't feel like eating it (or find something better)

aussie747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:39 pm

"Most of us are adults.
If we can't manage to either -
a) last 1 or 2 hours without a meal
OR
b) bring our own sandwich and bottle of coke
then there is definitely something wrong with the world!!"

"I did take a one hour SYD to MEL flight last month in J and QF was able to deliver a full hot meal to us with no problem.
Its these sort of flights i see no need for meals."

I guess with comments like these I have to question?

Do you fly regularly for business?
Are on a 6 to 8 am flight to your destination?
Have a full schedule with little if any time for meals?
Then on a late flight to return with work again the next day?

Having previously organised travel for people and now serving as a customer relationship manager for a large company and attending their forums for travel. Lounge access and meals served in flight even short flights were rated as very important. For these people it is often the only time they will get anything decent to eat all day.

Spare a thought for those people in these positions. This is why QF had brought back hot meal services for flights between 6pm and 8pm.

I guess it is only one airline that listens to business travelers.

On the other hand an infrequent business traveler ot leisure traveler would not see meal services on short flights as a necessity

ZKSUJ

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:21 pm

On my NZ flight last week (1 hour long) we hardly had time to have the quick refreshments. I only had about 5 minutes (litterally) to drink my tea and eat my chocolate square before we started descent. So there is no point in a 2 hour or less flight.

docpepz

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:23 pm

I flew QF from Adelaide to Brisbane in August. We got a decent-sized mid morning snack which consisted of a sandwich, some kind of a side dish, a chocolate bar and free non alcoholic drinks. Flight time was about 2 hours with a mid morning departure. That was pretty decent I thought.

For a similar timed flight from JFK to Detroit in 2000 on DL, all we got were drinks and pretzels. The cabin crew were playing cards in the galley after a rushed drink service of about 15 minutes.

LAX-New Orleans in 1995. That was 9 years ago. Way before Sept 11. Way before all the bad news of the aviation industry. For a 3h40min flight, there was no meal. Just a bag of chips and drinks. We left just before lunch time and arrived in MSY at around dinner time. I was ravenous. (I was just 13 then but I can still remember that flight vividly!)

Singapore Airlines serves a full hot meal with choice on every flight out of Singapore except for those to Malaysia. (You just get juice, water, coffee or tea on the 40 minute hop from SIN to Kuala Lumpur). Singapore to Penang which is usually 50 minutes comes with a full 3 course meal in J, and a Hot Refreshment in Y. (A hot sandwich or a plate of fried rice or pasta)

For my last flight on SIA from Bangkok to Singapore, which was 1h50mins, the following "Light Meal" was served:

appetiser
Marinated shrimps with pasta and vegetable salad

main courses
Sauteed sliced beef fillet with creamy garlic sauce, assorted vegetables and Lyonnaise potato

or

Sweet and sour pork served with selected vegetables and steamed rice

dessert
Sweet basil seeds in coconut milk

And a hot roll, plus a full beverage service with all the alcohol and cocktails you would ever want. Though rushed, they finished serving all 380 passengers of the full 747-400 in 1h30min.

Even the second tier Asian airlines serve decent food on short hops. And they are not expensive at all.

You might think serving a full dinner with choice on a 1h15min flight from Jakarta to Singapore is excessive. But if your flight is at 8.10pm and you arrive in Singapore 1h35min later at nearly 11pm (due to the 1 hour time difference) you probably would not have had time to have dinner before your flight. Plus, by the time you get your luggage out at SIN you would want to head straight home for bed. The flight would be the only decent time to have a good dinner.

I'm flying SIN-Jakarta-SIN this weekend. Perhaps I'll write a trip report on the meal service of this short flight!

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:24 pm

I agree with Aussie 747 on this, when I get back on a late flight all I'm hoping for is a decent meal on the way back home so I can get to bed sooner.
Btw have a look at the crap served by certain airlines on 1-hour stints :
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=85

Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:05 pm

At the end of the day i really think that it is not a necessary to have the meals on short hops .
I do however respect all your opinions on the matter and thank everyone who replied to this thread.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:57 pm

I don't need a meal on a short flight but I think it's important to have the choice in case I want something to eat.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

mozart

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:15 pm

Agreeing with the business vs. leisure travel segmentation.

It happens to me on three out of five working days a week that the time on the plane would be the only time left to eat (at the airport: no, bec. I arrive "just in time", rest of the day: no, because in meetings or attending to other business). One of the reason why I pay for full fare C class is to be fed. Flexibility, space, less hassle and food are for me the four prime reasons to travel in C. And, yes, I expect decent cutlery (silver is alright). I am aware that there are parts of this world which outside a few top notch restaurants are a gastronomic diaspora (junk food, eat while standing/running/at work, all plastic cutlery if at all, etc.), but being the continental European that I am, I expect decent food (and I've written angry letters to AF for having modified their European C class service from very good to prison food served in plastic).

On the other hand, when flying Economy, I typically have more time and I want to pay less money, so I cannot expect the airline to serve me food.

laca773

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:54 pm

Thankyou CKFred ! You hit it on the bullseye. I have expreienced the same things you have.
I still remember the days when US bought PSA and they added all that inflight meal services on flights between LAX, BUR, ONT, SNA and SJC, SFO, OAK, SMF!! That was a bit much for a flight between SJC-LAX [especially the hot breakfasts they pushed out fast with those "stack trays" when total airtime was about 42 minutes most of the time. AA followed when they took over AirCal, but there's didn't last for long and DL did nice snacks when they had the LAX-SFO shuttle. I don't think UA ever offered anything on those flights? I will admit this was excessive on these very short flights and a huge expense considering the many frequencies on a daily basis.

I believe inflight meals in the main cabin like this may make people more content.
Continental Breakfast on flights 1.5 hours to two hours, the rest of the day nothing.

Hot breakfast, then deluxe snacks on flights from 2-3 hours.

Hot meals on all flights over 3hours, with the exception of redeyes, serve nothing since most want to sleep, but have a snack bag available for those who want it.

airbazar

Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:30 am

Forget short hops. I just recently took a LH flight from Munich to Boston and all they served was a sad immitation of soggy pizza which I just couldn't get myself to eat. Before that I had taken a LH connecting flight of 2 1/2 hours on which, lucky for me, they served a nice warm breakfast. So in a 12 hour trip (airport time included), all I had to eat was a nice warm breakfast at around 7am during the initial connecting flight. You would think that they would serve something better than a slice of microwave pizza immitation on the subsequent 8 hour flight.

In any case, food on short hops? Yes definatelly, even on a 1 hour flight because like it's been pointed out, a 1 hour flight is not really a 1 hour flight (more so if it's a connecting flight), and I'd rather pay the airline $5 bucks so I don't have one more thing to stress about while making my way to from the gate.

Besides, once pax find out that they won't be getting food, I'm sure we'll start seeing delays associated with long lines at airport food vendors, much like the delays we see on international flights when someone is stuck at the duty free shop. Not to mention the cleaning up of leftover refuse from take-away meals.