7e72004

Looks Like ATA Is Digging Into IND Big Time!

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:28 am

The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

TWFirst

RE: Looks Like ATA Is Digging Into IND Big Time!

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 am

Woo hoo... Saab service btw Evansville, Fort Wayne, South Bend and Indianapolis!

Now that IS big time.... ATA is going to monopolize the huge intra-Indiana market...

Insane
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Tan Flyr

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:33 am

Looks like back to their roots...Hope they make it!

TWFirst

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:36 am

>>Looks like back to their roots...Hope they make it!<<

Their roots is vacation charter and military transport service... not flying scheduled puddle jumpers between IND and DAY.

7e72004

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:36 am

Could this be the indicator that ATA is planning to move the "chicago express" carrier to IND and withdraw the carrier completely at MDW?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:42 am

The tag line at the bottom of the press release stated subject to governmental approval, I assume that means approval from the bankruptcy courts.

I wouldn't get too excited yet, just is the shifting of some resources from MDW to IND.

This service is debatable whether it will be a sucess or not. Will people fly on this new service to connect on to other ATA flights or just simply drive to IND in the first place. Obviously there is little demand for O&D on any of these routes as most people will just opt to drive. I would venture that service to MDW from this stations will eventually be dropped.

7e72004

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:06 am

I am wondering if the government approval depends on the subsidies from SBN and EVV...notice how the footnote does not apply to the other cities. Before i remember reading that the airports mentioned were trying to start intrastate service but was not able to.

stlgph

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:15 am

I think people would fly this service. IND is NOT too close of a drive from Evansville or South Bend, and for the most part, neither is Ft. Wayne. It might look close, but one trip up I-69 and you will be thinking otherwise. Adding more flights to Las Vegas and Orlando seems to be an indicator of where these people like to go, but ATA needs to hurry up and get some roots planted into Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, or Seattle from Indianapolis. If it's successful and bookings fare well, I wouldn't be surprised if they add Springfield, Flint, Toledo, or Moline into the list.

Go ATA!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

N328KF

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:25 am

What we need is scheduled service from BMG to ORD/MDW/STL/etc.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

7e72004

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:32 am

Stlgph...i have to agree with you on the drive factor....i have made the drive up to fort wayne and south bend several times and even though it "looks" short, it is not...especially when there is not much scenery. If we had scenery like the Seattle area, then it would be different. It takes about 2 hours up to fort wayne by car and 3 hours to south bend. I would not mind taking the short hop and being able to rest instead of staying up through the BORING drive  Big thumbs up

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:39 am

7E7, I agree with you totally on the driving deal, I'd just fly, but the average Joe Tourist doesn't necessairly think that. People have this believe that big city airports are always cheaper than the local airport, and usually that isn't the case. People will drive 3-4 hours to save $50 on airfare, sad but true.

SegmentKing

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:44 am

When I started working with Great Lakes, we flew BMG-DEC-ORD and let me tell ya, the loads were anything but impressive. We had to pull out of the market because we exceeded the EAS limit of subsidy per passenger of $240 USD. I think the most passengers we ever got out of BMG was 4 or 5 passengers at the most, 1 or 2 was the standard load. The high loads were only during times of something going on at the school at that's it.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

7e72004

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:00 am

What were the IND-SBN loads like in the 80s or whenever US operated that route?

7e72004

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:14 am

Will the new flights just have the "ATA connection" name on the planes?? It would not make sense to call it chicago express  Big grin

SegmentKing

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:18 am

Jetstream International, which I think became part of Chautauquawauakakaua... err something, had a nice IND hub for some point. GRR-IND was the last route to go (meaning it was probaby the best performer) but also linked CMI, MDW, DEC, BMI, EVV, FWA, SBN, and every city in Ohio with J32s and Saabs...

I believe they closed the IND "hub" operation in 1996 or 1997.

-n

elwood64151

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:20 am

Will people fly on this new service to connect on to other ATA flights or just simply drive to IND in the first place.

If I'm flying LGA-DAY, I'm not getting off the plane in IND and driving, thank you.

People have this believe that big city airports are always cheaper than the local airport, and usually that isn't the case.

Sometimes it is. BDL is certainly more expensive than LGA, even with WN's presence.

I think TZ focusing on relatively low-cost IND (in terms of rents and fees) and selling the MDW assets will give them new focus. I've always thought that IND and MDW were too close together to operate as hubs, and that MDW was too expensive for legacy-like TZ.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:22 am

Doesn't TZ's pilot contract prohibit C8 flying from anywhere but MDW? If so, has the contract been renegotiated or changed by the courts?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

A330323X

Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:06 am

The Chautauqua US Airways Express flights remained at IND long after the US mainline hub left. The final three routes ended after 9/11 when Chautauqua retired its Saab fleet. The last routes were IND-CMH/EVV/GRR. They had also operated IND-FWA/IAD/MKE/SBN in the recent past before 9/11.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

TWFirst

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:53 pm

>>Jetstream International, which I think became part of Chautauquawauakakaua... err something, had a nice IND hub for some point. GRR-IND was the last route to go (meaning it was probaby the best performer) but also linked CMI, MDW, DEC, BMI, EVV, FWA, SBN, and every city in Ohio with J32s and Saabs...

I believe they closed the IND "hub" operation in 1996 or 1997. <<

I thought it was Allegheny that operated DEC-IND back in the '90's.

ATAFAN

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:01 pm

I flew ATA Connection for the fist time the other day. (Also a fist for the Saab) Very impressed it was a quiet and smooth ride. I would book a flight on a Saab again without a second thought. I hate prop. planes and I wasn't real thrilled with getting to ride on one but after that fist flight... It also helped to have ATA Connection service as that was impressive as well the crews both ways being friendly and professional I would definitely fly Chicago Express again.
Although maybe it will soon be Indy Express  Big grin that sounds good too.

ouboy79

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:06 pm

The US Express operation was done twice. First by Jetstream...now PSA...with the J31s to everywhere with in 200 miles. The second time was by CHQ with Saabs and Metros.

Side note...I wouldn't be shocked to see TOL added eventually. US did it each time with around 5 daily flights and had some good support by the locals.

SegmentKing

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:35 pm

Allegheny Commuter *did* operate the Beech 99s into Decatur and other markets, but those were upgraded in 1992 I believe to the Jetstream Intl (USAir) certificate... I think it was then upgraded to chattaquatkuatuasomethingorother around the time that USAir had ceased flying PIT-CMI with DC-9s and was converted to the Chaautauauquitta Saabs ..

-n

DAYflyer

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:08 pm

I think it is a smart move. As for the service on Saab 340's here at DAY, they have been here flying for 7 years so it's only a switch from MDW to IND. Same plane different destination.

I wonder if Airtran will pick up the DAY-MDW slack, or if we will be forced to use UA & AA to ORD. Airtran has a significant and growing presence here in Dayton, it would be nice to see that route on a 717.
One Nation Under God

JetService

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:44 pm

People drive to IND from FWA for the price. If the price stays low from FWA, I would think they would prefer flying locally (the fare could only be about $60 more to wash out any saving from fuel and higher parking). FWA is a very nice airport with little parking/check-in hassle and there's nothing worse than returning 'home' from a long flight only to face a boring-ass hour & half drive up the interstate (especially in the winter months). But there are still some people that say they will still drive to IND for a non-stop flight. I guess they don't consider the drive a connection itself like I do. Because that's what it really is only your in a car rather than a plane. And everyone knows driving is less convenient and more dangerous.  Smile
"Shaddap you!"

Eric777

Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:29 am

People have this believe that big city airports are always cheaper than the local airport, and usually that isn't the case.

Sometimes it is. BDL is certainly more expensive than LGA, even with WN's presence.

Sometimes it isn't. In my last three trips I chose either BDL or HPN because it was significantly cheaper than LGA, JFK, or EWR. One trip went to CLE, one to STT, and the other to TUS. I am looking at going back to TUS soon and they want two times as much to go from LGA than to go from BDL. If I decide to go, AA gets my money from BDL.

Anyway back to the topic, I too would not be surprised to see cities like TOL added.

7e72004

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:22 am

Does anyone know if anyone has made any reservations so far for the new flights?

elwood64151

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:00 am

Sometimes it isn't. In my last three trips I chose either BDL or HPN because it was significantly cheaper than LGA, JFK, or EWR. One trip went to CLE, one to STT, and the other to TUS.

That's because you were flying to cities where WN competes but the other LCCs don't. The other LCCs fly to LGA, JFK, and EWR (except HP, which flies to both TUS and BDL, but is an LCC in name only), but don't fly to TUS. So the legacy carriers can charge more for flights from JFK, LGA, or EWR to TUS, but less from BDL to TUS since they have to compete with WN. Same with BDL-CLE. FL flies LGA-CAK, but it's not the same airport so it's not a competing fare (did you even look at that option?).

So in this instance you are correct, however in many other instances this would not be the case....

Enough on this. Rebut, and let's call it even.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

7e72004

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:19 am

Ok...i have never given too lenghty of a post and i will try my best to keep this one short. I hope that others will respect what i write as i respect what they write  Smile

I think the IND buildup could be very sucessful. As of right now, ATA serves the following cities from IND:

RSW
PIE
FLL
MCO
SRQ
MIA
MDW
LAX
LGA
LAS
PHX
DFW
CUN

In January ATA Connection will start: SBN, DAY, EVV, MKE, FWA.

With the "mainline" cities already served i think that provides a nice range of metropolitan/leisure destinations for people from SBN, DAY, EVV, MKE and FWA to go to. Plus, IND is a much less congested airport than MDW. All of ATA's gates are located in the C concourse at IND; a very quick walk between gates.

Other cities that I think ATA should add from are:

DCA
SEA
PIT (isn't that one going to be discontinued by US at some point?)
PHL
BOS
Hartford
LEX
DET
CLE
BNA

WIth NW just announcing their latest expansion, i think ATA needs to come up with something good to compete and hopefully take IND back as the #1 airline.

I would also say that they should get rid of the 737s altogether. Keep some 757s for the longer routes or the more popular ones. And then get the 717 as the "main" jet. As for the L1011s that are in the fleet for charters, etc...i would still keep those but start planning on what will eventually replace them...perhaps the 7E7??  Big thumbs up

Anyway, that is my take on the situation

Cheers  Smile

Byrdluvs747

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:41 am

except HP, which flies to both TUS and BDL, but is an LCC in name only

Insane

As if all LCC's should be like WN.

The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

7e72004

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:44 am

Couldn't they just move America west and Frontier to concourse D at IND? Even with US and UA there not all ten gates are utilized. That would give ATA almost full use of C, except CO.

meister808

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:00 am

Hey... while they are at it, why not use this as an opportunity to work into Cincinnati Lunken(LUK)? It seems like this would be the perfect opportunity for a large company to start service into LUK... there have been a few attempts into there in the past few years, but they have all been shot down because they were small upstarts operating B1900s or Metroliners all the way to MDW, and they just didn't have the political clout to start commercial service back into an airport that hasn't had it for a long while now.

ATA would bring clout and I bet the service would be popular, because people regularly drive to IND for airfares from the Cincinnati area because CVG is just too expensive. While they are at it, maybe they could run a flight from IND-DAY-LUK-IND or something like that if it would make it more sensible.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

7e72004

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:07 am

Where is LUK in relation to CVG?

AZjetgeek

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:10 am

Even though I've never flown on ATA, I'm glad to see them making a reasonable effort to stay alive and re-define their scope and role. I think this approach is one which US should consider. US could stay afloat as a regional carrier making CLT or PHL as its sole hub.

Good luck to ATA!
Long live the RJ!

jettatco

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:36 am

This all banks on airtran getting TZ. I expect the HP deal will go thru. Parker met yesterday at TZ headquarters and offered a (HP) boardseat. Mesa has been talking to CHICO (Chicago EXpress). These people know what it is going to take to win TZ and I doubt they will put this much effort into a loosing proposition

ERJ170

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:38 am

Boy, if TZ gets the MDW gates... would that piss off WN a lot more? I mean, they already share 2 hubs.. could they share 3? I would think WN would start to get a little hot at TZ coming into all of their hotspot hubs...
Aiming High and going far..

SegmentKing

Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:25 am

HP you mean?

:P

-n

ATAFAN

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:54 pm

What HP deal are you talking about here? And where do you think HP will get the money from? Do you think this will go good with employees? I know better than to think it would even if seniority is taken into consideration. I have talked with a couple ATA employees I don't think it would fly with them. I know that there are at least two employees on here what do you guys have to say?

BIGBlack

Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:13 pm

I used to LOVE the BOS to LAS run through MDW. It was my favorite way to get to vegas. Until Song came along.
Someone special in the air

tzfalax

Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:23 pm

To ATAFAN

Not sure which employees you have talked to but the overwhelming majority of us want the HP deal to happen. Read up on the whole deal. HP doesn't want to put up a large amount of cash. They want to assume the debt which in the long run is better for the creditors. ATA does need to come up with a business plan. Once a plan is devised, stick with it. So many plans have come and gone. 6 months ago we were getting 70+ 717s. Before that, there were 767s. Now we're bankrupt. Our savior was going to be Biz Class and new low fare international service. Latest word now is that biz class will go bye, bye and the international service hasn't been mentioned since the BK filing. AirTran doesn't want the employee group from ATA. Why would they. Our salaries tower above theirs (FA salaries anyway, not sure about FD). ATA management can blame competition and fuel for all of our woes but we have been the only low fare carrier loosing money for a while. It the most recent earnings, other LCCs are posting loses but TZ has been losing for some time. Our incompetent management team should have focused on cost cutting 3 years ago much more aggressively than they did. TZ is much more reactive than proactive. Its all very sad. We do have a great group of employees with a very competitive product. We just to get the IND mentality out of our headquarters and move forward. The problem now is its probably too late. Just my thoughts.

7e72004

Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:48 am

What is the "magical" date that the judge has to make a decision on what happens with the bids, etc??

Xkorpyoh

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:01 am

but Northwest is attacking HP directly in IND with added flights and destinations. What's going to happen? it seems to me the NW might be the winner with available cash, planes and loyal frequent flyers in the region. no?

NWAFA

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:08 am

Xkorpyoh,

HP wants MDW not IND...
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

afitch7881

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:25 am

How do you figure LGA is cheaper than BDL? I fly between PHX and BDL bimonthly, and I can find fares as low as $150 RT to a everage of around $200 each time. I have actually flown BDL-PHX for $108 after taxes twice. I don't see that at LGA.

I read somewhere that the average fare at BDL is around $198

ATAFAN

Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:57 pm

So the HP deal is not for the whole airline? Once again what deal? Airlines change day to day. I would be surprised if the Business class goes I thought it was doing well, what I seen of it it was clear full. The employees I talked with had been with the company for several years, like 20. They had good faith in George Mikelsons (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) ability to steer the company out of bankruptcy. They also were very committed to ATA loved their jobs and the company.
I Thought the current plan is to have a IND hub maybe some more point to point operations. I thought it was fairly clear what Mikelson outlined.  Big grin

rage323machine

Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:07 pm

As of 11/30 thru 11/03 Americawest Big wiggs City of Phoenix Officials have been flying to and from IND. For HP employees who read VIP on the DRS(please read it ASAP) You will see Parker. Howlett and others in the VIP list flying to and from IND. Yes people I said it!!. This is inside stuff from inside source(ME, I seen it and check it everyday), and yes I work at Americawest. City officials flew back today leaving HP offcials still in IND. Let me also tell you folks alot of activity in ORD but i bet they fly there to get to MDW. For people who are curious walk up to HP employee and ask them to hit CNTRL D, F3,VIP,F6 and JUST READ.. alot of activity in the PHXIND routes with big shot callers. I expect something to be anounced by next week.. Dont quote me but im pretty sure

Rage323machine

rage323machine

Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:10 pm

MUST PORT BADGE TO ASK!!!!.. Airline badge also!!!

jettatco

Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:35 pm

rage323machine,
you got most of the story right just a few details.
Parker , HP's CEO was in Indy yesterday (I saw him-this is a fact) and spoke with Mickelson. Alleged to have offered a HP board seat. Parker and several other HP EXec's at MDW today. Spoke to Daily and other city officals. Jonathan Ornstien, Mesa CEO, has also been in town often, and has spoke to the Chico (Chicago Express) pilots. Add to the pot David Bonderman, who has more cash to burn then we can ever dream to see, wanting to "expand" HP, you got a winner here, sorry Airtran.

syncmaster

Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:57 pm

7E72004: It's my understanding that from the local SBN news that they already have people reserved on the flights, up until now the airport was taking reservations but was not giving any information on the airline and/or start dates. I think things are finally starting to fall into place for the service.

WNDU: http://www.wndu.com/news/112004/news_38741.php

SegmentKing

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:46 pm

looks like they're set to me!

11JAN-TU-142A SBNIND ET ET END
1 $TZ3001 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 SBNIND 535A 625A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3005 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 SBNIND 1220P 110P * SF3 0
3 $TZ3011 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 SBNIND 310P 400P * SF3 0
4 $TZ3007 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 SBNIND 615P 705P * SF3 0
>
1JAN-TU-142A MKEIND CT ET END
1 $TZ3094 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MKEIND 740A 950A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3097 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MKEIND 1105A 115P * SF3 0
3 $TZ3096 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MKEIND 525P 735P * SF3 0
>
11JAN-TU-143A MDWIND(CHIIND) CT ET END
MDW ALTERNATE ORD
1 $TZ3061 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MDWIND 700A 850A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3052 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MDWIND 745A 950A * SF3 0
3 $TZ3054 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MDWIND 1110A 115P * SF3 0
4 $TZ3056 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MDWIND 210P 415P * SF3 0
5 $TZ3058 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 MDWIND 515P 720P * SF3 0
>
11JAN-TU-143A DAYIND ET ET END
1 $TZ3093 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 DAYIND 540A 620A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3099 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 DAYIND 900A 945A * SF3 0
3 $TZ3082 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 DAYIND 1225P 105P * SF3 0
4 $TZ3095 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 DAYIND 320P 400P * SF3 0
5 $TZ3111 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 DAYIND 630P 710P * SF3 0
>
11JAN-TU-143A EVVIND CT ET END
1 $TZ3002 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 EVVIND 755A 945A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3006 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 EVVIND 215P 405P * SF3 0
3 $TZ3012 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 EVVIND 525P 715P * SF3 0
>
11JAN-TU-143A FWAIND ET ET END
1 $TZ3301 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 FWAIND 540A 620A * SF3 0
2 $TZ3105 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 FWAIND 1225P 105P * SF3 0
3 $TZ3107 Y7 H7 L7 M7 B7 K7 Q7 N7 FWAIND 320P 400P * SF3 0
>

Midway Ops seem somewhat intact, CID no more (didn't expect to see that one pulled)

jjbiv

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:39 am

CID has been gone for months now.

The Bankruptcy court announces the "winning" bidder on December 16th.

joe