jumbojim747

Why So Many Aircraft Crashing Lately?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:06 am

Sorry guys i changed the topic due to it being already started .
A high number of aircraft have crashed lately why the high number all of a sudden.?

[Edited 2004-11-30 21:16:04]
On a wing and a prayer

avek00

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 am

AFAIK, there's nothing unusual in the number of crashes taking place - if anything, seems as if there are fewer crashes than normal, especially on larger aircraft...
Live life to the fullest.

hz747300

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:28 am

I don't think that the number that we have had lately has been greater than before. We have not even had the high profile days, like when a Chinese MD-80 and an Egyptair 737 crashed on the same day. In the US, if there was not the NBC exec on the bizjet which crashed it probably would have been long forgotten by now.

Why are people so militant about double-threads? If you take opposite opinions on each one, it allows for multiple personalities.
Keep on truckin'...

TommyBoy

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:05 am

let's see....we can blame it on one of two things that everything else is blamed on...it's either global warming or U.S. foriegn policy...

clipperno1

RE: Why So Many Aircraft Crashing Lately?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:21 am

The same guys who projected a Y2K total-arnarchy-black-out, also forecasted during the mid to late 90s, that by now, due to the general rise in air traffic, we would have a major crash almost every week. So far we are doing quite good I think, if not better than during the 90s. Nothing to worry about really and the plane remains the safest mode of transportation
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

VirginFlyer

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:48 am

A quick check of the AviationSafety Network Site shows that with 344 fatalities (lowest in the period 1950-present) in 23 accidents (2nd safest in the period 1950-present), 2004 is shaping up to be a very good year. For comparison with previous years, you may want to check their Statistics Page...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

AAplatnumflier

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:37 pm

This year hasnt actually been that bad yet.... I think that this has as said above been one of the better years so far.

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:17 pm

VirginFlyer
Checked it out and you are right.
Just in the last month or so we have had several accidents that have followed each other in an alarming fashion.
Overall i have no doubt that flying is still the safest mode of transport around thanks to the professional manner in which pilots airlines and everyone who has anything to do with aviation conducts themselves.
On a wing and a prayer

spacecadet

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:23 pm

The same guys who projected a Y2K total-arnarchy-black-out, also forecasted during the mid to late 90s, that by now, due to the general rise in air traffic, we would have a major crash almost every week.

Well, a) I'm not sure who these "same guys" are, b) as I recall the prediction was made in the 1980's, not the mid to late 90's, and c) the prediction was based on nothing being done to fix or upgrade the air travel system in this country. It was a prediction that was made in order to spur changes in the system, as an overhaul of the ATC system was in the works but was progressing through the FAA and congress quite slowly at the time. Partly because of predictions like this one, though, much was done to improve all facets of air safety, from finally overhauling the ATC system to vastly upgrading aircraft avionics and flight control systems, to revising FARs and other regulations to promote air safety.

It's because of those changes that we've got such excellent safety these days even despite a big increase in air traffic.

As for the original question, I can remember in the 1980's it seemed like there was a major crash about once a month. Nowadays, major air crashes are few and far between. The statistics bear this out. There have not been an inordinate number of crashes lately, it's just that every little Cessna accident seems to get discussed to death around here (I wish we could stick to talking about airliners), and small private planes have always been much more likely to be involved in accidents than airliners. It's just that prior to the popularity of the internet, you didn't hear about these much.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

cricri

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:38 pm

and another one just happened in Jakarta :-(

flybyguy

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:20 pm

The News makes it seem that planes are falling out of the sky. If I don't log into A.net I would never hear about aircraft incidents under normal conditions. All you need to do is trigger the media with some tragic series of events so that they could circle endlessly on the topic, prowling for more death and maimings.

The Media is nothing more than a vulture for human misery.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Carpethead

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:16 pm

Also remember these last couple of major commercial accidents happened in area with not so stellar safety records.

If one looks at the accident rate for countries outside of US/Canada, Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, & Singapore, it's comparatively much higher.

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:34 pm

Flybyguy
the Media is nothing more than a vulture for human misery.yguy
I totally agree that the media sometimes go over the top with airplane crashes.
Carpethead
Also remember these last couple of major commercial accidents happened in area with not so stellar safety records.
agree also on this point.
If an incident involving an aircraft here in Australia the media dines on it for days .

[Edited 2004-12-01 11:35:20]
On a wing and a prayer

zrb2

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 pm

I have felt like an unusually high number of Bizjets have crashed in the last 8-12 months for various reasons. MAybe I'm wrong but it seems like when I was younger I never heard about light jets going down. I always thought they were the safest things around. It could simply be that many more are in use today and they are getting flown more hours. I've seen countless articles in the past year that mention how light business jet use has grown tremendously. Not just for corporations but in all facets of the business and charter community.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos