Southamerica

Domestic Flights In Venezuela

Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:58 am

When topics alike have popped out, they've become discussions mainly about airline fleets in Venezuela and/or the Caracas-Porlamar air shuttle, about which is more than clear remains as the number 1 disputed domestic route.

But I would like to know more about domestic flights in our neighboring country, especially to the western part of the nation.

How good is Maracaibo connected with the rest of the country, not only Caracas? How active is the Caracas-Maracaibo shuttle? Which carrier operates flights between Caracas and Barquisimeto or Merida for instance? Are some questions I would appreciate if answered.

Additionally, it would be nice if someon could enlighten about any scheduled air service whatsoever between San Antonio del Tachira and other interior cities... I recall Servivensa offering daily services from San Antonio to Caracas, Medellin and Bogota with 727s/737s.

Also, I think there is an airport a couple of hours away from San Cristobal (Tachira) called Santo Domingo. Is there any scheduled service there?

Thanks a lot.

SOUTHAMERICA

Celticmanx

RE: Domestic Flights In Venezuela

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:52 am

Maracaibo is perhaps one of the busiest airport in Venezuela, second only by MIQ and there are numerous flights both domestic and international.
Other than MIQ, Santa Barbara airlines flies to Barquisimeto, Santa Barbara, Las Piedras and Aruba. Avior flies to Valencia, el Vigia and San Antonio. American Airlines, Aeropostal and soon Santa Barbara flies to Miami.
One of the few routes left for Aserca is MIQ-MBO and aeropostal have several flight a day on the route.

Chiguire

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 am

Also, I think there is an airport a couple of hours away from San Cristobal (Tachira) called Santo Domingo. Is there any scheduled service there?

Aserca has two daily flight STD-CCS, Aeropostal flies daily ex. Sat.. Both operate with DC9.

Maracaibo itself used to have even European DC10-flights via CCS with Viasa. Nowadays there are some few flight to Curacao with Santa Barbara (Cessna).

ZBBbird

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:06 am

When I was down in Venezuela a few years back we spent a little over a week in Merida and I was quite surprised with the amount of air traffic at the local airport. Their were many turbo props in and out all day. A few carriers operated out of there with flights to the coast and to other inland cities. We also flew back to Caracas from San Cristobal. We were on an aeropostal 727 I believe, out of Santo Domingo (about 45 minutes to an hour from the city if I remember correctly). I will dig around and see if I can find the flight shedules I picked up from the travel agent in San Cristobal and airport in Merida. Hope this helps,
Sean

Southamerica

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:09 am

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming as you wish.

SOUTHAMERICA

B757200

Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:16 am

@SOUTHAMERICA

Check out http://www.gacetaaerea.com. I don't know how accurate is the information they have, but it might help you anyway.