HAWK21M
Topic Author

Smallest Ever Airport Terminal

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:00 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Klein

This has got to be the smallest ever Airport terminal picture ever.
Which is the smallest termiinal worldwide.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SLC1

RE: Smallest Ever Airport Terminal

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:05 pm

It would be really hard to say but check out the bottom of this link http://www.midrivers.com/~airport/ and other of the BigSky airports. It would be hard to say, does Kenmore Air count as a terminal? What about Olympia. A lot of the airports in Northern Canada are quite small. VGT, ELY, the list goes on and on.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

N1120A

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:07 pm

You should see the terminal at OXR. Tiny and in a suburb of Los Angeles
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

SLC1

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:14 pm

Speaking of small terminals, if anyone knows anything about PMD (unlikely) post it.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Mr AirNZ

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:31 pm

Ever seen some of the terminals in New Zealand (Westport and Wanaka come to mind). 1 X B1900D a day. The terminals are tiny!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Eden
View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Hunter

N1120A

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:35 pm

>Speaking of small terminals, if anyone knows anything about PMD (unlikely) post it.<

Go to LAWA.org and click on the PMD link. They show rendering of the terminal if it had any service, they give you an idea

SLC1

Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:39 pm

Wasn't PMD supposed to be served by Scenic at some point? Or did that never come to fruition?

Deltaflot

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:46 pm

In my experience, Altoona, PA has the smallest terminal and its really amusing...it has WELCOME in about thirty different languages since I'm sure so many different nationalities visit there. I believe they had one or two flights a day at most (B-1900's). Haven't flown into Altoona lately but when I used to, security was not apparent, there were about five seats at "the" gate and it had the smallest luggage belt I have ever seen (about 30 feet long). Fly in there for a good laugh.

Chris

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:53 pm

With so few flights at these Airports.Whats the duty hurs of the staff working out there.Got to be very relaxed.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Scottiedog

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:11 pm

Probably have to give it to either Westray (EGEW) or Papa Westray (EGEP) in the Orkney Islands - off the northern tip of Scotland). These airfields are located on neighbouring islands and have a scheduled service that can - if the wind is right - result in flight times of just a couple of minutes.

I recall - when I could access the British Airways computer - that the passenger briefing for these airfields said that passengers should wait in the 'terminal' and checkin would be done by the pilot off the inbound aircraft. By the way, both fields are non-radio.

Scottie Dog

N1120A

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:15 pm

>Wasn't PMD supposed to be served by Scenic at some point? Or did that never come to fruition?<

PMD did get UAX service at one point but it has been hampered by location and the AF's reluctance to open the airport up to major GA ops

gkirk

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:16 pm

Barra is quite small
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aeroweanie

Smallest Ever Airport Terminal

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:47 pm

Gustavus Alaska (GST) is quite literally one room. Once you pass security, you wait for your flight in an fenced in area outside. Baggage is delivered to a little shelf outside the terminal. Despite this, Alaska Airlines has a daily 737-700 flight (at least during the summer months), as this is the gateway to Glacier Bay.

shankly

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 pm

It has to be the timber shed and deck at Caye Caulker, Belize which has serveral daily scheduled Tropic Air Cessna Caravan services.
L1011 - P F M

BCNGRO

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:09 pm

LKL's terminal has to be one of the smallest, at least in Europe.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paal sagafos

At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

geoffm

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:53 pm

Coventry is a Portakabin apparently... those don't exactly come in any great size.

Geoff M.

petazulu

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:19 pm

St. Barths Airport is very small. Pretty much just a hut- most of it is outdoors.

dstc47

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:20 pm

Which reminds me that Heathrow started with a tent for check in facilities.

Only goes to prove that they do not necessarily get better as they get bigger.

It was, by repute anyhow, not a bad tent for 1946 (ex Army).

exFATboy

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Smallest I've ever seen here in the US is Rutland, VT.

mozart

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:36 pm

Guys, all those airports listed are huge compared to Los Roques in Venezuela: the "terminal" consists of four pillars of wood with a straw roof over it. It's all built on sand, and there's just a wooden makeshift fence around it. Check in: there is a lady in bikini and sandals with a list of names, asking for your first name, ticking it off her list, and then points to one of the DC3s or DHC-6s as being "your plane". Of course there is no security, and the lounge is the beach.

Sorry I can't find a picture, but if someone has one, please post it.

Petazulu, St. Barth is gigantic, it is about 35-40 meters long, it has two floors, several rooms, a cafeteria, shops, security, immigration, several gates, a real tower...

TOMfly

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:51 am

Coventry's airport terminal is tiny, it's so small infact that a hangar next to departures has been converted into the arrivals hall. It only has one belt. The terminal has about 200 seats, it's a bit of a squeeze when 4 flights depart at the same time. Plus it only really has 4 check in desks, but at peak periods two check personal seat at one desk, one either side, and share the scales with the flight next to them! It could be bigger, I notice there is an upstairs which surely could be converted doubling or even tripling seating capacity. That wouldn't be outside of their current planning permission! LOL!
NO URLS in signature

jtamu97

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:18 am

You ought to see some in Africa...We flew out of a strip in Nairobi on a Dash 7 and there was a tiny tin roof with one plastic table and four chairs. The good thing is there was a lady selling coke, fanta and buble gum. Believe it or not more that 30 people showed up at one time, as the Dash 7 and a DC-3 would leave at the same time to get to other remote parts of Kenya. Also, The "terminal" in Utila Honduras actually expanded with the new landing strip. It went from a tiny wood shed with someone selling cokes, to about 5 pallets and some benches with a covered roof a the new landing strip, but I guess they did not have enough room for the snack bar Big grin!
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

ssides

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:40 am

Here's the terminal in Georgetown, Texas:

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

alespesl

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:00 am

We don't even have to look for remote places and small towns.

Toronto City Centre Airport YTZ has very small terminal consisting of two rooms only.

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:11 am

Barrow, Alaska looks pretty small:

http://www.kingeider.net/barrow6-020802.jpg

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

pelican

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:27 am

Connemara Inverin (EICA) has a very small Terminal, too.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dion Fuchs

pelican

Chiguire

Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:05 am

Hi Mozart
Sounds like you have been in Los Roques. It´s great !
Here some photos:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier F. Bobadilla - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

with building down on the left:

View Large View Medium

and the overview:

View Large View Medium

And this is not too small, some times of the day there is really traffic:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

Those who have not been there: It´s highly recommended. Incredible beaches and nice guest houses within a great national park. You reach it in 1 hour from CCS or PMV. A daytrip starts at about 150 USD.

Newark777

Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:14 am

Governor's Harbor on the Bahamian island of Eleuthra is a real small one. It has two rooms, one arrival and one departure, and the only security is a woman who glances at your bag as you walk out the door, and occasionally pokes one with a yardstick. Continental Express was the only airline flying in there the last time I was there.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

n506cr

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:01 am

I can recall many of the airports around Costa Rica having very little terminals.
GFT (Golfito) PMZ (Palmar Sur) PJM (Puerto Jimenez) XQP (Quepos)& Tamarindo, among others.

Even SYQ being an international airport (for general aviation though) has quite a small terminal. There's a lot of acitivity going on over there but mostly from hangars so the terminal is not used that much.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Adolfo Morales-Gamboa [TI-AMG]

.:capt_moralesg:.

lincoln

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:17 am

Carlsbad/Palomar in northern San Diego county is suprisingly small considering the area it serves.

Two trailers. The airline counters are in one (UA Express and American West Express, IIRC) and the one gate (a simple glass door) is in the "rent-a-car" trailer... About 10' in front of the main entrance to that building. Restaruant is a tent off to the side.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

patroni

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:27 am

Pangnirtung has 4 regular movements a day: The Firstair HS7 from Iqaluit, continuing to Qikiqtarjuaq, the Kenn Borek Beech 99 or Twin Otter oing the same route, then two hours later the same two aircraft returning to Iqaluit. When I was there they had "as extra bonus" the RCMP PC-12 arriving and departing. The terminal building has two checkin desks, one for each airline.

>>Probably have to give it to either Westray (EGEW) or Papa Westray (EGEP) in the Orkney Islands - off the northern tip of Scotland). These airfields are located on neighbouring islands and have a scheduled service that can - if the wind is right - result in flight times of just a couple of minutes.<<

I second that. Two days ago I looked at my old slides and found those from my Orkney Trip in 1995 on BA/Logan Air's Islander. The terminal at EGEP is only a little cottage. As it was a nice summer day, checkin took place outside and every passenger was weighed on balance just like the one most people use at home.... I will see to get my slide scanner installed again and try to upload the pics to a.net.
The flight time from EGEW to EGEP was 70 seconds by the way... the ongoing sector to Kirkwall was rather long haul.. 12 minutes...

Cheers,
Thomas

katanapilot

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:49 am

USM (Koh Samui) must be one of the smallest 'multi-terminal' airports. if i recall correctly, there are three 'terminals', all of them being open air thatch huts. rather well put together, however, and very romantic ha ha.

KAUST

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:58 am

How about Scholes Field in Galveston, Texas and McKeller-Sipes in Jackson, Tennesee?
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Lono

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 pm

There are airports in Alaska that don't even have a terminal... just a van with a radio... the van shows up at flight time and talks the flight in... and sells tickets out of the van!!!!... turns the flight and leaves....
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

kanebear

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:35 pm

EFD? Well, no service now but for years it was just a trailer.

n9801f

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:56 pm

CCR = Concord, CA

PSA started service there in the -80's with BAe 146's. USAir continued it briefly after the merger. Terminal was a small 10' x 20' trailer. I believe car parking was free...

apollo13

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:10 pm

Ney N9801F Good Job!! You got it great. I live not far from there and when i was little i could hear those 146's comming in and looking at them was nice. My dad would take me there on Sundays after church.......Good times. Do you think any more service would come back to there?!?!