kfllspotter

Aircraft Down Out Of OPF

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:03 am

Apparently an aircraft has gone down after take-off from Opa Locka. The aircraft type is a Convair 440, not sure of the owners, but I think it's on lease to Miami Air. The aircraft is N41626 I believe. Apparently it's still fully loaded and crashed after take-off in a lake off Biscayne Blvd. The aircraft was heading to the Bahamas on a cargo flight I think. Aircraft in tact and pilots are both out. Reportedly an engine failed...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Simon Gregory

OPNLguy

RE: Aircraft Down Out Of OPF

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:37 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

IntruderPC

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:54 am

Sadly, another vintage A/C has succumbed to some failure. It is a sad thing to see these workhorses come to an end. Cost of maintaining airworthiness is getting huge. I hope they can save this one. Glad the crew was not injured.
A-6's and Navy Air forever!!!

GARUDAROD

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:57 am

For those of you locally Channel 4 WFOR the CBS affiliate is broadcasting
live shots of the plane in the water. Doesnt appear to be much damage
at all to the aircraft. Must commend the pilots for bringing the plane
down with little or no damage to the aircraft and certainly not to the
heavily populated surrounding area.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

OPNLguy

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:16 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DB777

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:27 am

The company name is Miami Air Lease, it's not on lease to Miami Air. Miami Air Lease has been around since at least the 70's, long before Miami Air International came onto the scene in South Florida. They used to operate out of MIA's infamous Northwest Corner before moving to Opa-locka.

Channel 6 (NBC) was first on the scene with a helicopter shortly after the crash but Kelly Craig, the female announcer, repeatedly called the aircraft a DC-3 for almost an hour. They interviewed a Lt. Eric Baum of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue on the phone while on-air and he announced that it was a DC-10 during the great overhead video of the CV-340 in the water shown from the helo.

Toward the tail end of Channel 6's hour-long local news, Kelly Craig announced that it was a CONAIR 440. Channel 4 kept displaying "Convair 440" on the screen banner during their footage.

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

FLAIRPORT

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:33 am

Yes, I was watching the CBS4 coverage and I was suprised they got it right!
The crew is being treated at a nearby marina...it is thought that plane MAY be carrying humanitary aide, but I believe that it is just on a Bahamas cargo run.

Looks like they're pro Bush, but they don't konw how to spell ELECT!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

DB777

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:41 am

Channel 4 did not get it right. They had "Convair 440" emblazoned on the screen for a long time during their aerial coverage and it's a Convair 340. I guess that's better than Channel 6 calling it a DC-3 for 40 minutes or so and then calling it a CONAIR 440.

It was "Reelect" but they replaced a door that had the "R" on it on the right side of the aircraft - I can't tell what they did on the left side in the above photo but footage of the left side this morning showed the full text.

DB777

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:31 am

That's amusing but since probably the majority of Americans have not had a true IQ test how did they come up with an average for each state? As far as I know the test is not part of normal testing in the public school systems, at least not in Florida. Even taking the SAT or ACT is optional on the part of the students.

lincoln

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:51 am

That's amusing but since probably the majority of Americans have not had a true IQ test how did they come up with an average for each state? As far as I know the test is not part of normal testing in the public school systems, at least not in Florida. Even taking the SAT or ACT is optional on the part of the students.

It is a fake. See Snopes (or others) for the full debunking.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

KarlB737

Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:29 am

Spoke2Spoke

Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:03 am

Thank goodness the pilots are ok.

Why journalists can never get aircraft models right never ceases to amaze me. Why is it so hard? DC-3? Not even close! CONAIR 440? Good fact checking guys...
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

atcrick

Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:38 am

This aircraft used to go to Guantanamo Bay fairly regularly carrying cargo from Opa Locka. This company also has a DC7 which tail you can see in the rear of the photo above. I rode on this 340 from MUGM to OPF back in September of 2002. I cant believe it went down. It looks like it might be salvageable.

Rick
natch!!

jetblast

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:10 am

Darn you beat me to a post about it! It's a shame, a CV-340 lost...

JetBlast @ BWI
Speedbird Concorde One

jetblast

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:14 am

BTW thought I'd add this, here's the a/c:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Gregory
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jay Selman

--
Before the GWB paintjob-

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stuart Haigh
View Large View Medium

Photo © Dirk Jaeger

JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

Air1727

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:12 am

This company does not have a DC-7. Completely different certificate. Although one of the chief pilots flies for both Miami Air Lease and Florida Air Transport/Turks Air.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

nsfguy

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:51 am

WOW! I just got into this story....soooo Let me get this right, this was the new Air Force One going down with a belly full of early release orders for the men who have been forced to fight on in Iraq long after there promised date of rotation! God Bless our WONDERFUL president! Saving us all that money by using an easy credit looking jalopy of a plane, and parking that expensive 747! I feel like Victory is just around the next corner! Yeah Baby!

atcrick

Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:16 am

Air1727,

I disagree. They flew both the Convair AND the DC7 in and out of Guantanamo Bay Cuba carrying cargo all the time back in 2002 when I was there. And yes, it was the same company. Miami Air Lease.

natch!!

miamix707

Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:00 am

I don't think they have DC7s .. the other two frequently seen at OPF are both DC-6s, the one in retro AA colors, Turks Air?? and the one with the Blue belly which used to have 'Florida Air Transport' titles.

I few weeks ago I saw this same aircraft when I was stopped on a light in Miami Lakes. It was turning to land at OPF. It's a good thing I took a pic of the aircraft, in case I don't see it again, hopefully they can repair it. TAL lost another convair about 2 years ago that was based in OPF, luckily the pilots also survived, in this case not in a lake, but on the beach.

There aren't all that many lakes around Miami, which lake was this?

OB1504

Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:16 am

There aren't all that many lakes around Miami, which lake was this?

Erm, ever heard of the town of Miami Lakes?

Anyway, it was in Maule Lake. Directly to the east of NE 171st St, near the Carl's Furniture on US1. Just between Miami Gardens Dr. and NE 163rd St. My sister saw the 'plane coming down from her apartment in Aventura while she was on the top level of the parking garage coming in after walking her dogs.

miamix707

Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:49 am

no, never heard of it, I live in Alaska, ever read my screen name? That part might be called Miami Lakes, just like Aventura has that name and there is no "adventure" as far as I know, at Aventura either Big grin

So did your sis get any pics? Must have made quite a splash, I'd love to see a video of that water landing. The lake I was thinking of was the one that can be seen from I-95, on the right hand side, near Aventura when I'm driving north towards FLL.

atcrick

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Miamix707,

The DC7 mentioned is the exact DC7 sitting next to 41626 in the top picture. I would think that since; 1 - It is the tail design I remember from the DC7 that frequented Gtmo, and 2 - It's sitting right next to the CV-340 on the ramp in OPF, that its a pretty good indication that the two are, or were affiliated at the time.

Rgds,

Rick
natch!!

FLAIRPORT

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:29 pm

Well, considering they were at a stop light in MIAMI LAKES, I venture they've never heard of it!

But, actually, this lake (just off of Mall BLVD) is right in the heart of Aventura. my old apartment (lived there for 1 year) is right by there. Glad they were able to make it!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Air1727

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:26 pm

Rick, Miami Air Lease (CV-340) and Turks Air (DC-7) both have done contract work for the Dept. of State down to Gitmo, but they are not affiliated on a company level. They have both done work down to Gitmo, including other companies as well, for several years. Miami Air Lease has no DC-7s.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

DB777

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:52 pm

Maule Lake is named after a huge Puerto Rican concrete company that was the largest cement company in Dade county for many years until they went bust 20 years ago or so. Maurice Ferre, former mayor of the city of Miami and former county commissioner, was CEO of the company. The first print stories out spelled it as "Mall Lake" because someone at the FAA thought it was near Aventura Mall but it's a mile or two south of the mall judging from the street description above.

Miami Lakes is chock full of beautiful curving lakes, unlike the typical South Florida rectangular rock pits, for those who didn't know. They can be seen best from aircraft on approach into OPF from the west. Both of the below shots were taken from one of my balconies at home in Miami Lakes.

DC-7BF (not DC-6 as mentioned above) N381AA is owned/operated by Turks Air but sometimes they operate for Florida Air Transport according to the JP fleet book. It is based at Ft. Pierce and survived two hurricanes on the ground a couple of months ago. I've never heard of Miami Air Lease operating it but perhaps they contracted with Turks Air to operate for them when they had too much cargo to haul, like flights to Gitmo? It operates into Opa-locka off and on depending on their business. The company is listed under the Turks and Caicos in the JP fleet book although it carries a US registration.

DC-6A N70BF is owned/operated by Florida Air Transport based at Ft. Pierce but a frequent visitor to Opa-locka. It is a US cargo airline according to the JP fleet book.

Corpsnerd09

Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:27 pm

Miamix707

no, never heard of it, I live in Alaska, ever read my screen name? That part might be called Miami Lakes, just like Aventura has that name and there is no "adventure" as far as I know, at Aventura either

Have you ever lived in Miami lakes? I lived in Miami Lakes, right next to Lake Ruth, and trust me there are A LOT of lakes there! All over the place. It lives up to its name.

[Edited 2004-12-05 09:29:34]
If you really want to do it, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll make excuses.

miamix707

Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:46 pm

Atcrick I stand corrected, it's a DC-7, the blue one is the DC-6. I even have shots of the aircraft and been next to it a couple of occations, mental lapse there! Must be because I hadn't seen it in a while, it was parked at OPF recently but before that I hadn't seen it there in months, however the Convair was usually never parked either next to it, or in that part of the field by that airport road (42nd AV), from where they shot that pic.

As far as Miami Lakes actually having more lakes, well can't say the same for Hialeah, Coral Gables and most of Miami-Dade. Nothing compared to the Orlando area for example, which has plenty of natural lakes including some huge ones like Lake Jessup.

DB777, are those lakes your talking about big enough for them to attempt to ditch? I admit I don't go by that part of town too often, have friends that live there but not near any lakes.

[Edited 2004-12-05 09:59:07]

aa777jr

Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:23 pm

Big Boom!  Smile

AA777jr
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

hirisk

Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:33 pm

looks like its still in one peice.but i doubt it will grace the air again Sad
kinda hard to find parts for 50 year old classics like these
happy contrails

DB777

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:33 am

I'm sure that a few of the lakes, particularly east of the Palmetto, are large enough to ditch in but nowhere near as large as the area where they ditched yesterday.

The problem is avoiding trees and houses on the way in but it's a hell of a lot better than getting killed in a fireball by hitting houses and killing more people on the ground.

Trust me, some of us who live here wonder when it's going to happen and pray they go into a lake if they can't make it back to OPF. We've had a few private aircraft go down in the area, always into vacant land and not into houses, over the years but nothing big like the CV-330.

Here's a link to an aerial photo of Miami Lakes east of the Palmetto. The 9-left approach goes left to right about midway over the town.

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_usgs.asp?cpx=-80.308898&cpy=25.9083&usgs_res=13&provider_id=200

bennett123

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:31 am

I think that the biggest problem is probably salt water.

This crash is also showing on WWW.Aviation-safety.net

This is definately a recommended site.