StarGoldLHR

LON - MAN How Many Airlines / Will It Last?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:06 am

Well for the last two years Ive watch the mass profits and loads being made by BMI and BA on their LGW / LHR to MAN operations...

in 2002 last minute fares could be had for av £50 return
and after the railways went to pot in 2003/4 the fares rose to over £180 return for last minute fares this summer.

I just noticed that finally Easyjet have discovered this (Just as the railways are complete) and so have Jet2 for ops from LGW-MAN.

With VLM's LCY-MAN operations also... this means 5 airlines flying around 30 flights a day between London and Manchester..... with LGW offering around 12 of them !!!

is there this much demand ? Or will this turn into the LAX-SFO/OAK shuttle situation pre sept11th, where DL/WN/UA/AS were all beating it out with $60 roundtrips 30 times a day followed by a bust where it all went to $300 !

So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

David_itl

RE: LON - MAN How Many Airlines / Will It Last?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:31 am

At the moment, the frequencies look like this:
LHR: BA 12 Mon-Fri, 8 Sat+Sun. BD 7 Mon-Fri, 4 Sat 6 Sun
LGW: BA 7 Mon-Fri, 5 Sat+Sun (LS 3 from Jan)
STN: T3 3 Mon-Fri
LCY: VG 11 Mon-Fri, 2 Sun

As to whether it will last, I don't think it will e.g. all literature I've seen suggests that the LHR run will be used by the connecting traffic only so perhaps frquencies will reduce slightly (an unhealthy proportion of passengers still fly to LHR/LGW before going overseas!).

David

EGNM-LBA

Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:01 pm

I would imagine that the ratio of inter-lining to O&D traffic on MAN-LHR.LGW is probably lower than services from MAN to places like DXB, PHL, EWR, ATL, IAD, ORD, KUL, SIN etc. It is the inter-lining traffic that sustains these services, so nothing "unhealthy" about it at all.

7LBAC111

Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:42 pm

just noticed that finally Easyjet have discovered this

What have EasyJet announced/noticed?

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

minmiester

Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:50 pm

Not quite on topic, but I've always found it strange that the LAX-SFO run wasn't able to sustain those numbers of frequencies, same going for what I assume you believe this short-lived era of high frequency MAN-London. More so on the LAX-SFO run, as rail is not a major competitor, and its a run that makes driving not palatable. Is there any reason why these domestic routes cannot seem to sustain high amounts of frequency, or is something like MEL-SYD (which, as an Aussie, I guess I am used to) - where there are some 34 daily flights on QF alone, on a mixture of 734, 738, 763, A333 and 744 equipment (mostly 763 it seems) - just some sort of weird anomaly? Combined with the 6 daily flights on JQ and 24 daily flights on DJ, this is some 64 daily flights between two cities of "only" 3.6m and 4.1m, and is the world's 3rd busiest air-route by passengers carried, yet the route is a profit printer, with even more frequency probably welcome rather than unsustainable.

The difficulty to sustain frequency on something like MAN to London can be understandable, given the ground links between the two cities and the closer distance between the two cities, but what about between San Francisco and Los Angeles, where the cities are further apart and ground transportation is out of the question for those after a semblance of comfort and time management?

Cheers

Min

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos