aaway

What Exactly Is A Ramp Coordinator?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:42 am

Seeking the assistance of fellow A.netters in the know...

I've been invited to interview with China Eastern at LAX for a 'Ramp Coordinator' position. My undestanding, though somewhat rudimentary, is that this position oversees all ramp functions while the MU flight is at the gate (i.e. fueling, catering, baggage/cargo load/offload, cabin cleaning, etc).
Can anyone share further details or experiences? What kind of airline industry background might a candidate need?

Thanks for any and all replies!
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Clipper002

RE: What Exactly Is A Ramp Coordinator?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:18 am

It differs from airline to airline, but basically you are correct. The position has been called ops rep, ramp rep, etc. At most airlines this person must be W&B qualified in the equipment type. Some airlines have maintenance oversee fueling while others simply train the fuelers to their own specific program. You should have a very good working knowledge of what goes on out their on the tarmac. If not, you can end up hurting yourself or even worse hurting someone else. It can get very hectic, especially during bank t/a's. Good luck on the new job.
Ed
Ed

aaway

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:06 am

Clipper, thank you so much for the reply! From what I've garnered, I'd be responsible for everthing below-the-wing, except maintenance related issues.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

legendDC9

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:03 am

Not to sound mean or anything, but if you are interviewing for a ramp coordinator position with in Int'l carrier aren't you supposed to know what a ramp coordinator is already?

Spoke2Spoke

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:00 am

Would this position typically be salaried, or a union by the hour job. Does the job look for or require higher education?

Also, in general, what would a ramp coordinator make per year? It sounds like a very interesting position.

Spokes
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

vsmike

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:36 am

Clipper is absolutely correct. Sometimes, the Ramp Coordinator has his hands in above-wing activity and passenger convienences as well... Basically to oversee/supervise the entire turn-around, and settle issues as they occur.
Very time sensitive. Get ready for the rush!!

Best of luck,
VSM

[Edited 2004-12-06 18:37:07]
Skyteam. Caring More About Me.

aaway

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:13 am

"Not to sound mean or anything, but if you are interviewing for a ramp coordinator position with in Int'l carrier aren't you supposed to know what a ramp coordinator is already?"

I'm assuming your question isn't rhetorical. Of course I could answer by saying I've looked at the job description.

My previous airline experience has been with domestic carrriers - AA and UA - and a couple of contract ground handlers. And though I'm quite familiar with the practices of AA and UA, I think I'd be loathe to equate that with familiarity with ALL carriers.

N405MX

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:37 am

Ops Rep, mmm (Representante de Operaciones), here in MEX to be one you need a license, also certified on weight and balance for the aircraft, sometimes you can dispatch any airplane, sometimes only the ones of the company, depends on the practice, mostly you do it by computer, but you have to be ready to do it manually.

Here in MEX ground handling is done by SEAT, they do weight and balance, cargo load, etc, but still the airline has their own ops personnel (just in case.....).

Here the Ramp Coordinator is the one that checks for available positions at the airport, checks that the luggage arrive and also is the one that ensures that the fuel truck is there when the airplane arrives.
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

b757lvr

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:23 am

Hey Aaway, you would think by some of the very nasty comments some people make here, that this was not a forum to discuss aviation questions and news etc.

"Not to sound mean or anything, but if you are interviewing for a ramp coordinator position with in Int'l carrier aren't you supposed to know what a ramp coordinator is already?"

Anyway, the position as outlined by some members above varies from carrier to carrier. I worked as a ramp coordinator for a ground handling company and my tasks included passenger services as well as ramp service; most of my time I spent on the ramp monitoring fuel, loading and offloading and laising with passenger service. The key was to make sure all the activity resulted in a smooth, quick and safe turn around. Although, I am sure every carrier will have their own requirements. Good luck to you, it's a very exciting job that keeps you on the go!

aaway

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:41 am

B757lvr,
..."you would think by some of the very nasty comments some people make here, that this was not a forum to discuss aviation questions and news etc."

Yessirreee! But of course, a.net is really just a microcosm of the industry...never a dull moment!

Thanks to all for your replies. I've interviewed and was offered the position. Thanks for helping me prep!