airbus3801

Airlines To Ireland From U.S. Direct

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Are the only airlines that fly to Ireland Continental and Delta, or is American flying to Ireland too? My irish dance teacher is flying Delta to see his family in Donegal Co. Ulster (I think thats the county) and flies into DUB. I told him that I would choose something different then delta so I was looking into options for him next time.

USAFHummer

RE: Airlines To Ireland From U.S. Direct

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:54 pm

Aer Lingus, of course...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MAH4546

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:59 pm

Delta and Continental offer year-round service to Ireland; US Airways offers seasonal service. American Airlines launches service to Shannon and Dublin in May 2005.
a.

ussherd

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:57 pm

In the spring, CO will commence flights to Belfast from EWR. Belfast is much closer to Donegall than Dublin.
Cada loco con su tema...

7LBAC111

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:01 pm

Belfast is much closer to Donegall than Dublin

Depends where in Donegal they live. It's a vast barran land. And very dull.
However access is certainly better in the North due to much better roads all the way top the border through Fermanagh or Londonderry.

The drive along the N4 or N7 (whichever it is) is hellish. And dangerous.
The Irish are MAD drivers! (No offence intended!)  Laugh out loud

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

planespotting

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:10 pm

Donegal CO is a county in the North part of the Republic of Ireland. Ulster is one of the six counties of Northern Ireland. Aer Lingus flies from Dublin to a small airport in Donegal, (can't remember the name), and for like 30 euro each way, but there are fees for checked bags and carryon and everything. I would definitely suggest taking Aer Lingus from the states...they have the best deals on their website, you can often find roundtrips under $300 US.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

BFS

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 am

Actually, Ulster is one of the 5 (I think) provinces of the whole island, and is often used to refer to the six counties of Northern Ireland, even though the province encompasses one or two counties south of the border.

aerlingus330

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:47 am

My Travel fly into Belfast and I think Britania do aswell.

>Ulster is one of the 5 (I think) provinces of the whole island<- Its One of Four-
Ulster, Leinster, Connought and Munster

aerlingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

CLT18R

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:10 am

Yeah, I think a lot of Americans get confused about Ireland (As I think this person may be.)

Northern Ireland is part of the UK while "southern Ireland" or, The Republic Of Ireland, is a separate country. Therefore, if I am right, I think any US airlines wishing to fly to Ireland would need separate authority for both Northern Ireland (UK) and Ireland.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here...but for what it is worth...

aerlingus330

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:20 am

>Northern Ireland is part of the UK while "southern Ireland" or, The Republic Of Ireland, is a separate country. Therefore, if I am right, I think any US airlines wishing to fly to Ireland would need separate authority for both Northern Ireland (UK) and Ireland.<

Its true...If an American airline wanted to fly to Belfast it would have to get autherized by London (westminster).

aerlingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

ei2ksea

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:33 am

7LBAC111 - We learned how to drive from ye guys!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Anyhow, seriously; Here are all USA-IRL flights i know of...

Aer Lingus - Year Round - except BWI which is now summer only and MCO which seems to be Winter only.
Chicago O'Hare -Shannon and Dublin (1X daily)
Baltimore -Shannon and Dublin (5 per week)
New York JFK -Shannon and Dublin (2 daily, 1 to each)
Boston -Shannon and Dublin (daily in winter, 2 daily in Summer)
Los Angeles -Shannon and Dublin (daily in Summer, 3 weekly in winter)
Orlando - Dublin (3 per week)

USAirways - Summer Only
Philadelphia-Shannon and Dublin (2X Daily in Summer - 1 flight to each)

Delta Airlines
Atlanta -Shannon and Dublin (1X Daily)

Continental
Newark -Shannon and Dublin (2X Daily in Summer - 1 flight each, otherwise 1 daily)
Newark -Belfast (expected next summer)

AA
Apparently Chicago O'Hare - Dublin and Boston - Shannon from next May.

The only flights from Dublin to Carrickfinn (Donegal Airport) are by Aer Arann - about twice daily in Summer, once daily in Winter.

Donegal is kinda complicated - its part of the Republic of Ireland but is in the province of Ulster most of which is in Northern Ireland (part of the UK) except for County Donegal, County Cavan and County Monaghan. Road links have been improved but are still not great. Its a beautiful part of the country - very rural and wild and kinda like the 'Wild West' of Ireland

Regards
Ph

[Edited 2004-12-06 20:34:25]
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

kaitak

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:09 am

CLT18R, US airlines don't need to get any permission from the Irish govt to fly to Belfast (which is lucky, because the Irish govt would probably want them to fly via SNN).

American Airlines' decision to serve Ireland is welcome and long awaited. Long may it lost. I'm hoping that the SNN rule, whereby airlines have to have one flight ex SNN for every one ex DUB can be relaxed, so that there is no linkage. This way, all airlines could increase services to DUB, n/s. Aer Lingus could add the cities it wants to add and AAL could add DFW and MIA.

dstc47

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:37 pm

Delta offers good connections to Ireland via ATL and year round service too.

"Ulster is one of the six counties of Northern Ireland."

I enjoyed that but, as others explained, not correct.
Ulster is one of four provinces in Ireland, 6, of the 9, counties in Ulster are in NI, post partition, 3 are in the Republic.

Then it often confuses people that the most Northerly point in Ireland, is in (Southern) Ireland AKA the Republic of Ireland, not in Northern Ireland AKA the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Murtagh1108

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:57 pm

Aer Lingus fly direct between Dublin and Los Angeles. They do not start nor continue onto Shannon.