kbuf737

US Airways Cost Cutting Idea. Gate Space

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:53 pm

Here's an idea for US.

They operate out of many airports with multiple gates. Here in BUF they operate 5, and I know other upstate cities they have many gates as well. Besides the early morning rush and evening stayovers US really does not need all the gate space that they have. I know they have always had a large presence here, but perhaps they could cut some corners by cutting down the number of gates which the airline operates out of individual airports. I know CO did this as part of their restructuring plan and now any non-hub or focus city will not operate more than 2 gates for CO unless it is deemed "profitable" or worthwhile. So ultimately my question would be, do you think if US cut down on overhead such as large numbers of gate leases at airports where they were not necessary this could in turn help them on their way to recovery.
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

quickmover

RE: US Airways Cost Cutting Idea. Gate Space

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:55 pm

I think they have several at MCO that are not in use.

7e72004

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:01 am

They have several at IND that are definitley not in use or are used rarely.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 am

What happened to all those gates at PIT after US bailed out? Is US still responsible for their leases or had the leases expired?

Sure hated to see that, I like that PIT airport . . . great terminal (except for that ghetto of a commuter terminal).
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

usairways85

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:33 am

Well as long as they hold on to them regardless of how little use they get it keeps airlines like Jetblue, Airtran, and Southwest out or at least minimizes their gate space.