ATWZW170
Topic Author

NW, Positioning To Pick Up The Pieces

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 am

A few of us have talked about NW starting service into markets that would allow them to pick up passengers and be the "hero" should an airline go under. Is this a smart move on their part? If US is able to survive, will NW stop some of the expansion plans? And, if they are looking to pick up passengers of other airlines, why not go into CLT with extra mainline and express flights? Or even PIT for that matter. Could we see an East coast hub for NW?
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

toltommy

RE: NW, Positioning To Pick Up The Pieces

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:21 am

Isn't that what they are doing with the new service to LBE? They can upgrade service into the hub cities, but a smarter move would be to open or improve service to the other airlines spoke cities if one or more goes under. CLT relies heavily on connecting traffic. The O&D traffic is easy to pick up.

UN_B732

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:37 am

I've heard NW at PHL is a very solid rumor if US Airways goes under.
I think it would be a good idea.
What now?

7e72004

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:39 am

I have also heard the rumor that WN has its eye on PHL  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

PHLBOS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:44 am

I've heard NW at PHL is a very solid rumor if US Airways goes under.
I think it would be a good idea.

The below-thread regarding NW picking up a 3rd Airlink partner would fit very well into a NW-PHL scenario. Should US go, someone has to occupy Terminal F.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1849987/
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

willbdsp

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:12 am

Didn't NW have their eye on PIT? Do the same thing at PIT that they are doing at IND?

ATWZW170
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:11 am

I wouldn't think that NW would want to go up against WN (Southwest) in PHL. I'd rather fly planes in a market where yields are higher such as PIT and CLT. Fact is that US is in a position where it needs to defend it's homefront...if another carrier were to go in and offer a second option, I can see passengers leaving. Bringing in another Airlink partner to offer flights in markets such as CLT or PIT might be a good idea. NW has Worldperk members in each city and I'm sure would be able to convert a few US Chairmen members.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

Flaps

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:27 am

NW has already begun to very gradually build up services at PIT. Several months ago they re-initated service to MEM and they will shortly be adding service to MKE (a route that NW operated prior to deregulation).

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:55 am

PIT is too close to DTW to be anything more than a focus city for NW.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

longhaulheavy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:15 pm

I've been a big fan of NW out of MKE. I hope they can get a few more routes in.

ckfred

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:41 pm

I think it's safe to say that every airline will be upgrading and/or adding flights between its hubs and the three US hubs, if US goes under.

For instance, Eagle flies out of ORD to PIT and CLT. I would expect at least some of these flights to go over to mainline AA.

As to whether NW would be the main carrier to try and create focus cities or hubs at PIT or PHL is hard to say. What is more likely is for other carriers to add serivce to spoke cities in which US offered a lot of service.

RyanAFAMSP

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:35 pm

I think NW has done a fantastic job of strategically expanding in a chaotic and unfriendly marketplace. They have carefully evaluated marketplaces to build service to underserved communities with low LCC penetration.

The bottom line, however, is that the entire domestic market is experiencing profound overcapacity right now. Fundamentally this will not change if USAirways ceases operations. Yes Philadelphia would lose a hub carrier, but it already has a growing LCC presence and I have a hard time believing that NW would dump capacity into a region that is chronically overserved and hosts a wealth of low-yield markets. And even though CLT and PIT would experience a huge loss with the demise of US, I think any response by NW would be cautious at best. These ideas that NW would move into Philly, buy a bunch of US A320s and A330s, and run the hub as it is now are bizarre. This would subvert the entire reality that the industry desperately needs to reduce capacity.

NW has always been the most careful, strategic airline in the business and it will continue to be. I am sure they are preparing a billion contingency plans in the Pacific for a possible UA failure. But NEVER expect anything dramatic from NW. Their midwestern sensibility is why they're still around!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos