richierich

TSA Horror Stories

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:11 am

First of all, I am quite aware that the TSA is doing a very important job and I respect the fact that terrorists will use all means necessary to damage commercial travel in the USA- it is the TSA's job to make sure this doesn't happen and that dangerous items are not brought on board aircraft.

I do want to say, however, that I am very displeased with the inconsistency of the TSA. It seems that you can go to different airports, different terminals, and sometimes different screeners and get a varied assortment of what is acceptable and what is not. I thought the TSA was supposed to bring consistency back to security but in my experiences this is absolutely not the case.

I have a recent example: this weekend I went through security in JFK, TLH (Tallahassee) and TPA (Tampa) carrying a backpack containing my personal effects. I had checked another bag at JFK and TPA also. At JFK, very routine. I didn't even have to take off my shoes. At TLH, I was a "selectee" so I got the full treatment. No big deal but it is annoying to be the selectee and wait while the TSA goes through everything. It took two TSA guys 15 minutes to go through my two bags (I didn't check the other one) and they were quite thorough.

The worst was yet to come, when I was at TPA and attempting to pass security with the same backpack as before. The problem appeared to be with my Maglite flashlight - the TSA officer at TPA deemed it "against regulations". This is a large, approximately 18" metal flashlight with 4D batteries in it. No hidden or concealed weapons, no switchblades, it is just a freaking flashlight (that works very well, I might add). The security guy added that I had three choices: (1) to check it as luggage, (2) to mail it to myself or (3) 'voluntarily relinquish' it, i.e. give it to him.

(1) How do you check a flashlight? I had already checked my other bag and its not like I can get that bag back to add a flashlight. (2) I'm not going to freaking mail it to myself, that's ridiculous. (3) This is not a pair of tweezers, this is a $25 flashlight. I ended up checking my backpack save for a few personal or fragile items inside. I then joined the throngs of Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran passengers whose carry-on baggage is a plastic bag.

Luckily I was not in a rush for this particular flight otherwise I might have been even more exasperated with the TSA. I think what bothers me the most is the complete and utter nonsense of not allowing a flashlight (where is that against the rules?) as well as the inconsistency from one airport to another. While it is vitally important to be safe, it has to be done in such a manner that makes sense and is applied evenly. I saw no rhyme or reason to why my flashlight would be OK at two airports and not OK at the third.

Anyone else have some good TSA stories?
None shall pass!!!!

sking11

RE: TSA Horror Stories

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 am

The rules are deciphered differently by each TSA person. As a prior ex screener for a private company right after 9/11 the rules stated that any "club" type object would not allowed in the cabin of an A/C. This includes "baseball bats". The size of the item, the 18" flashlight puts it in that category. Each person interprets that rule differently of course. Unfortunately, you got the opinion of it being a weapon. While another person may view it as a harmless flashlight.

Now here's my experience I saw but didn't happen to me but irritated me anyways. In Denver, there was a family in front of me in line at the security check-in. The elderly mother was asking her adult daughter if she needed to take her shoes off. Remember, the TSA about a year ago or so changed the rule about requiring to remove shoes to optional. To help save time, and if they do beep then to get secondary screened. The daughter replied "since you have a hard time walking don't take your shoes off." The TSA person standing by the metal detector heard this and when the mother walked through and didn't signal anything he made her to get wanded. That just irks me off with their egotistical nature.

philhyde

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:07 am

We travel frequently between IAH->MSP->RHI. RHI is a regional airport, but nevertheless has xray equipment. Last year (I don't remember when) we travelled this route and one of our carry-on items was a small camera bag with a pouch in the front. This camera bag is ususally stored in another larger carry-on bag when we travel.

On the trip home, we got held up in the security screening because they saw something suspicious. They must have run the bag through a dozen times before they decided to search it. As it turns out, my wife (who works with animal rescue and makes frequent trips to shelters with the camera) had left a pair of 4" nail scissors in the front pouch:

We were surprised that they were there, but really kind of shocked that nobody on the trip up there found them. What was even more strange was that the let us take them on the plane. I guess because they were not pointed, however that kind of nail clipper is very powerful and could easily cut through a fairly substantial cable/wire.
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:04 am

I recently flew from of all places BOS (my home airport) to PHL and got through security fine. On the way back, I was told they need to open my bag. Inside my grooming bag was a small pair of scissors. They were taken from me and I was told to travel with rounded point scissors. The scissors were very small but after some diliberation they were taken because they had pointed tips. Yet I made it through BOS with no problem at all.

This has happened a few times. I guess it is give and take. It will never be a perfect science.
Someone special in the air

moman

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:01 am

Stop complaining about the TSA. FLYING IS NOT A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT. If it was, we would each have wings. If you have a problem with the TSA checking you, then don't fly.

People say they are "humiliated" to get patted down; if they lived through an aviation bombing, they would complain the TSA didn't do enough checking.

The mission of the TSA is to get passengers from point A to B safely (without terrorism). If it requires for them to strip search me everytime, I'll do it if it guarantees I'm not going to die because of some assholes' religious beliefs.

I am a white male and all of my experiences with the TSA have been professional and acceptable.

Moman

AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

FLAIRPORT

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:40 am

Your right, flying is NOT a God given right... However, when someone pays $80 or $100 or $200 or $1000 for a ticket, they deserve to be treated like a person.

I do agree with a lot of the TSA security measures...if they were practiced right, we'd have a safe system. But, as humans, we all proform the same job differently. For example, one rule can be interpreted completely differently in PHL than LAX...If everythnig was done by the book, or AT LEAST equally, we'd be much safer.

One rule I don't agree with is the random security screening...(which is also interpreted differently in different places...for example, at FLL 9/11/03 I was selected, nothing happpened! Also, many airports have this screening in a seperate area, where it is private and you don't feel embarassed.)
Let me tell you a story...Oct 3, 2004 LGA: (I find that LGA is VERY strict security wise!)...my family and I walk into the airport around 1:00pm for our 2:45 jetBlue flight to FLL. We are helped and when we leave, the guy asks us..."Do you have a TSA lock? If not, you might want to unlock it in case it is searched!" and sticks a red tag on the bag. We procede to security and walk through...I had not read my ticket yet...i walk through...phew, alarm doesn't go off! A lady comes up to me...you have been randomly selected"...and screams..."MALE SELECTEE!" so everyone can hear it...my dad gets picked out (and he is pissed)..."MALE SELECTEE"...my mom (who thinks it's good for out country)..."FEMALE SELECTEE!" This poor mother with a baby (not a part of my family)..."FEMALE SELECTEE!"...the man who walks through and has a belt that sets the alarm off..."sir, please go back and put the belt on the mechine"...he does not get any additional screening! So, my family is selected...i'm asked which bags are mine...I am shaking like mad from embarassment/annoyance/and nervousness...and I respond "we all packed them together"...I'm asked again and give the same answer...seeing how I will not be too cooperative, they search all 4 of our family bags and our coats...puting each electronic device to the explosive test. (I know its procedeure, but it was a waste of time!) Then, they (IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAVELERS WALKING BY, LOOKING AT ME IN A FUNNY WAY)...I am being treated like a terrorist, in the most embarassing moment of my life being wanded. So, finally wonding finishes, we get our tickets stamped, and its all over. Not really, we still have to wait 10 mins to get our bags searched!

Ok, we had pleanty of time, so why am I so mad? For a few reasons...First, I check with the TSA all the time...i am on their website whenever I travel. I never carry prohibited items and my family checks with me to make sure that they are traveling right and won't get stopped (and believe it or not, i had to keep them from putting a few things in!). I was so prepared this time that I even put my glasses in a pocket in my jacket..so I was almost blind during the whole process! (It was the first time ever that I put my glasses through the X-ray!) Also, we are a family from FLL traveling up north, packing heavy. I actually had to convince my parents to check a bag in the first place because i was worried about being randomly selected. (And needless to say we were glad we did!) We wasted at least 4 screeners and their time just from being randomly selected. Also, after going through security and them seeing that we had nothing in there and passing through the metal detector, why do we need the extra search when 200 others who have done the same do not?

We need to do away with random selectees and move to a better system..I'd rather be searched because of something suspicious than for the sake of luring the nation into a sense of "Something's being done" when that "something" is a bunch of BS "random" screening of familys and old people!

Thanks for all of your time in reading this!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

philhyde

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:43 am

I've always had "professional and acceptable" experiences with the TSA as well, but it's is a little disconcerting sometimes when you see inconsistencies in their enforcement. In my case, did an agent see my nail scissors and decide they were OK, or did they overlook them? If the latter, isn't that a problem?

There is no reason to rip the TSA a new one for being tough or thorough, but you should not be an apologist for them either. Security personnel in general should always be professional and courteous - on top of their game, if you will - without exception. That kind of scrutiny is not a bad thing.
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

10mid

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:50 am

And some airports, like golf courses, have "local rules". My favorite is the one at IAH, where if you go through the checkpoint with crew ID but without an IAH airport badge, and are not in uniform, you must take your shoes off. If you're in uniform, you can keep your shoes on. Since taking shoes off is optional, I'm better off if I got myself a boarding pass.

mtnmanmakalu

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:58 am

TSA is generally doing a good job- MUCH better than what we had before 9/11-

As a Crew member, my worst experience has always been in IND- I don't know why.... I guess they target the Crews there.....

Also a few years back in Nagoya, we had a Crew member be detained for misunderstanding what was asked of her about carrying weapons. We waited over an hour why she was searched, detained, and searched again (including make-up samples taken from her purse!!!). It turned into total trauma for the Crew member, and a change of policy for the NGO Airport authority....

A nightmare for her, and a lot of paperwork for the Crew!!!
I do, I don't, whatever.......

richierich

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:06 am

I disagree with you on a couple of points, Moman, and suggest you re-read my post. I am all for safe travel but I think it has to come with an ounce of common sense. I do not feel that flying is a 'God-given right' but I don't really appreciate idiotic interpretations of unclear rules. Discretion is very powerful and the TSA needs to be careful how it is used.

First of all, the obvious. In my case, I was traveling with a flashlight. Not a gun or a knife or even a battering ram. A working flashlight.

Secondly, the part that bothers me the most, is the inconsistency. What goes at one airport doesn't go somewhere else. This makes me mad because there is no rhyme or reason to it. Common sense has no role in these matters and that is wrong. My flashlight was no less a weapon at TPA than at JFK or TLH (earlier the same day!). What it did cause me was extra work to go back to the check-in counter and figure out how to send it with the checked bags.

I don't like inconsistent rules, and I'm guessing most of the traveling public doesn't either. I don't like that some airports make you take off your shoes and others don't. IT SHOULD BE ALL OR NOTHING- people deserve to know what to expect.

None shall pass!!!!

BAViscount

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:27 am

Stop complaining about the TSA. FLYING IS NOT A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT. If it was, we would each have wings. If you have a problem with the TSA checking you, then don't fly.

People say they are "humiliated" to get patted down; if they lived through an aviation bombing, they would complain the TSA didn't do enough checking.

I agree with you Moman, but I think the main point that people are trying to make here is the lack of consistency. The question is, why do some airports allow you to carry certain items in your hand baggage when others don't? I don't know why, but I know that here in Europe there seems to be inconsistency at different airports as to what causes you to set the scanner alarm off and what doesn't. I often find that I can walk through the scanner at a UK airport without making a sound, yet on my return journey, having taken exactly the same steps to place all metal items in my bag or jacket, the scanner beeps causing me to be singled out for a pat down.

Personally, I don't find a pat down to be a humiliating experience - I know that they're not going to find anything anyway (I'm a squeaky-clean citizen!), although it may be a different story if I were to be submitted to a strip search! In my early days of flying, a pat down seemed to be the only option, or at least an additional process following the scanner walk-through, so I guess I'm used to it, so I don't really see why people are so phased by it - but then we're all different.

My personal issue is the fact that I'm heading into the unknown when I pass through airport security as I never know how I'm going to get treated in comparison to the last airport I passed through. If things were the same from airport to airport, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

redngold

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 am

Richierich -

Let me play devil's advocate here for a moment. I like consistency, too, but consistency can become complacency, which can become inattention, which breeds increased risk. If the people who wish to do harm aboard aircraft never know when they're going to be flagged for secondary screening, then they have a harder time preparing for their action. If they are able to figure out a routine, then they can plan to circumvent each step.

Just my 0.02.

redngold
Up, up and away!

mtnmanmakalu

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 am

Secondly, the part that bothers me the most, is the inconsistency. What goes at one airport doesn't go somewhere else. This makes me mad because there is no rhyme or reason to it

AMEN!!!!!!!
 Smile
I do, I don't, whatever.......

YVR2SAN

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:33 am

"(I know its procedeure, but it was a waste of time!)"

Not really the TSA does not know you, how do they know you dont have an explosive in your electronic devices?

"I am being treated like a terrorist"

As far as the screeners know you could be a potential terrorist, they dont know who you are. A terrorist does not need to be a middle eastern man, it could be anyone from any race, any country.

They need to treat everyone as a potential threat in order to make sure evil people dont get through.

copenhagenboy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:15 am

I was going from EWR to CPH. I had to take my shoes of, and my belt of my jeans, in fact I had to take my sweater of, plus everything else, even my Dimes in a plasticbag. Remember this was not in a private room, but I was happy that she had some humor, when I was going to take my t-shirt of with a smile in public, she said it was not necessary with a smile also. But yes it is strange compared to European airports. In fact when I entered the US, I only had my fingerprints done, but no pics of my eyes as the two one before had been done. Don't no the reason why it was not taken. In CPH check-in going to NY, the two guys in front of me were checked in the closely. But not me. Even the boy 12-13 year old in front of me was checked, even his gifts for Christmas was openend or x-rated. I hope he is a strong guy, but I am sure they asked him in a nice way. BTW the SAS route to Washíngton is changed to a UA flight in this winter. We had two lines one for EWR and one for Washington. UA had special (big man) securities in CPH as if they don't trust in the way it is done in Copenhagen. Everyone was asked the reasons going to US. We are used to have it done when entering the US. Almost leaving at the same hour, different check-in procedures. But no lack of security at all.

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:24 am

"Stop complaining about the TSA"

WHAT? Clearly you've never had to work with the mentally-retarded mafiosos...and that's being nice...AND offending those that are actually mentally retarded. Just about every day I'm amazed by their sheer incompetence and unwillingness to create uniform and succinct procedures that both help themselves and/or those they work with.
E pur si muove -Galileo

StarGoldLHR

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 am

I always travel with the same carry on bag, for nearly 3 years and 200 flights.

on My 4th trip to the US this year the scanners at LHR found a little screw driver (for use on laptop screws) in a small compartment in the bag..

...and fair enough they kept it. I had no problem with this except one...

I dont ever remember putting it in there (though it was mine, ive had it for years and I didnt recall seeing it for many months), so all I can deduce is that it has been riding round the world in my carry on for at least 30 or 40 flights maybe more before any scanner spotted it... theres something wrong with security here... either someone was too observant and strict, or many people have been too lax.

The other... just goes to show it's not just the TSA
and for me... I bought a new screwdriver and pack it in my check in now.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Newark777

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 am

The screeners at Newark Int. are notoriously poor. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through security at Newark, only to have something in my bag, like scissors or a swiss army knife, found on the return leg.

Also, we had an article in the Newark Star-Ledger recently about how a bunch of screeners were fired for failing mandatory tests. Not very reassuring.  Sad
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Espion007

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:54 am

Ok well heres my TSA story.

It was about 4 or 6 months after 9/11 and i was returning from Moscow. Anyway while in the city i went to the WW2 museum and bought a plastic toy gun that resembles an Ak-47 for about 250 rubles (around $10US).Let me also add that while in moscow near ostankino,my mother bought a manicure kit(which included a small pair of scissors).Now 3 days later,its in a cardboard box,in my bag. We are in JFK airport in the security line for our connection flight to IAD. First goes in our regular carry on luggage. Nothing special. Then goes in the bag with the toy gun. All the TSAs dont even take a second glance at the weapon,which i found surprising. But then they found a threat to national security in our bags- the pair of manicure scissors. Bla Bla Bla we get through later and get home.

Now i still wonder how the hell all the TSAs overlooked the ak-47 toy gun in our bags, yet went crazy over scissors. Kind of shocking.
Snakes on a Plane!

57AZ

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:55 am

Responding to the original post considering the 18" flashlight, it does fall into the classification of a potential weapon. There may have been a local rule put in place by the local TSA manager or the airport authority itself. In the federal system, many agencies have local rules that differ from one locale to another, based on differing needs or localized concerns. It could also be that internal information channels turned up something concerning Mag-Lite flashlights that the organization deemed required additional measures during the time that elapsed on your trip. From my experiance, I have seen something as harmless as a Club steering wheel lock converted into a camoflage short barrel shotgun. If it were not for the internal intelligence networks, our officers would never have known of that possible threat. Returning to the flashlight, a number of police departments have banned use of the Mag-Lite model mentioned due to the propensity of officers to use it as a baton in leiu of proper batons.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 am

I in no way was bashing the TSA. I have no problem getting screened, stopped, or searched. I would rather that than another 9/11. I thought post was more about inconsistancy with screeening.

NLINK

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:01 am

I belive it should be a bit different in order to keep people on their toes. So many people are so dumb and either don't/ can't read a sign once they enter an airport for some reason. If you read the signs, take everything out of your pockets before entering the checkpoint line and place it inside your bag, take off belt and shoes the checkpoint would be 100% smoother, except people don't.

It's stilla a shame that the TSA still finds thousands of knifes at the checkpoint, over 3 years past 9/11. I really hope they start sometype of no discretion ticketing /fine penalty for stupid items for carry knifes and such. People would start thinking after it hit there pocketbook/wallet.

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:05 am

I disagree only because I know a lot of people who mess up are amatuers who don't know any better. They are usually overwhlemed by the experience of flight. We should be diligent but not turn flight into an evil experience. It ruins the wonder of air travel.

Newark777

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:13 am

I've taken a maglite on board flights in the past, although mine wasn't as big as in the original post. The screener did become suspicious of it, though, and did a thorough inspection of my bag. When she got to my maglite, she took it apart as much as she could, and swabbed all the pieces with those circular clothes, which I believe detect bomb residue. I didn't mind the increased scrutiny, but the thing that really got me frustrated was that when she was finished, she had no idea how to put it back together, and handed all the pieces back to me to put back together in the busy security area.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

UA772IAD

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:16 am

I have had great experiences with the TSA at Dulles, since they've been there, although I think the DCA staff is friendlier, because they actually smile. I do have one story.
My family spends it's summers in Lake Tahoe, CA and we were going to Vegas for the weekend because my dad was invited to Al Davis's (Oakland Raiders owner) 75th birthday, for which all former Raider team members were invited. Anyways, we were flying WN from RNO to LAS. Although we had used WN alot this summer, out of Reno, for my college visits and all, we still had the SSSS on the bottom of our tickets.
This is usually for people with one-way tickets, but WN also puts them on tickets for passengers who don't fly WN a lot. So we had to go through extra security, and because it was 4th of July weekend, the airport was slammed. We were coming close to missing the flight. I turned to my brother and said "This is such a waste of time." Evidently a TSA person heard this, and turned around quickly and snapped at us: "Yeah, it will be waste of time when your plane nose-dives and goes smashing into the ground." A bit disturbing...

flymia

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:11 am

They will check the flashlight. They might just give it to a FA or Pilot to hold. Or even put it down below and you will see you flash light in a little envelope in who knows how many pieces going around the belt.
I think TSA did a great job taking the flashlight away. That could be very dangerous.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

pilotpip

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:20 am

One of the reasons that some airports do things like always require shoes off, or to take your jackets off, etc and others don't is to keep things from being uniform. This way a potential bad guy is never going to know exactly how he/she is going to be searched.

There are ways to contort your body and places to hide articles on your person that the detectors won't see. Prior to 9/11, you were allowed to pass through twice before being wanded. The hijackers all knew the ways to hide articles and the way to walk through without being detected and there is survelance video of each of them doing this.

I've never had a bad experience with the TSA officials. I do agree that they are 10 times better than the private screeners that were previously employed. The private companies paid less than the Burger King in the concourse did. What type of people do you think they got as a result? Yes, there are problems, and yes things should be changed. But, the system now is much better and people shouldn't get so damn uptight about having to take their shoes off. Yes, there are probably some that shouldn't have their jobs because of things they have done, but, have you ever thought that maybe the reason they have such bad attitudes sometimes is that they have to deal with arrogant people like some that have posted here with minor quips?
DMI

FLAIRPORT

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:30 am

"(I know its procedeure, but it was a waste of time!)"

Not really the TSA does not know you, how do they know you dont have an explosive in your electronic devices?

"I am being treated like a terrorist"

As far as the screeners know you could be a potential terrorist, they dont know who you are. A terrorist does not need to be a middle eastern man, it could be anyone from any race, any country.

They need to treat everyone as a potential threat in order to make sure evil people dont get through.

Ok...I value your comments, but let me restate this:
I am speaking only of the random selectees here...I go though and my luggage has been screened, I've passed the metal detector...all clear. Then, I am randomly selected. I am then the one being treated like a terrorist while dozens of other "potential" threats (if I understand you from above everyone who went through security and was AOK is a potential threat) walk right through! Or, how about this: Why is my family with a lot of bags being treated as a "potential threat"; taking up valuable time for screeners who, in the event of a TRUE emergency, would be unable to clear us or unable to react?

And as far as the explosive test, ok your right about that! I do agree with that idea...but what abour John Doe who is walking through security with a "battery" that is really a bomb...but since he wasn't a selectee, nobody cared?

Thats what I'm talking about...extra screening should be for those who request it and those who are suspicious..not those who just happened to get the SSSSS.

UA772IAD...I can realte...but I kept that thought inside! I didn't want ANY trouble. That guy knew it was a waste of time, he was probably trying to "reassure" people around him!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

deltairlines

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:40 am

Just throwing my two cents in...

I am an elite in a frequent flyer program, so I fly quite a bit. 99% percent of my experiences with the TSA have been normal or excellent (one time, during a lull in traffic at IAD, the screener saw that I was wearing a tie with the New York City Subway system on it, and we had a brief conversation about the subway, as he used to be a driver on it). The one percent of the time the agents haven't been the greatest, but they haven't been awful (as some of the stories I have heard), so I'm not going to complain about the front line screeners for the most part.

My problem with the TSA comes from the non-front line employees. There is inconsistancy in the system, and it is a little bit of a hassle. I don't really care about the shoes directive, I wear dress shoes that have metal in them, I just take them off, same with my belt; nor do I mind taking my jacket off. The thing that does annoy me is subtle stuff like ticket checking. I can understand checking a ticket at the front of the line, as they do now. However, once in line, I don't know if I should put my ticket away or not, as at some airports (IAD, GSO, BOS) they check your ticket at the mags, while at others (LAX, MHT), they don't check it. To me, this can be a little hassle, as normally I am quite busy at checkpoints, taking off my shoes, belt, jacket, taking out my laptop, etc., and sometimes the line is quite quick (especially in the elite line), that I'll just throw my boarding pass and ID in the grey bins and send it through the X-ray. If it became a uniform policy, it would help. Now, I have flown out of GSO enough to know the procedures there, same with BOS, and GSO-BOS is my normal route, so I do know what's going on there...however, if I go to another airport, I don't know what the local rules are.

Jeff

cancidas

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:51 am

i was flying from PHX to DEN to LGA last August and had my flight bag as a carryon item (that bag was worth more than my car at the time and I wasn't going to let it out of my sight). i had a manual for a Cessna Caravan, my logbook, pilot's certificate, medical certificate, charts, approach plates and other such documents, Garmin GPS 196, Scanner, etc…. Anyway, the screeners decided i was a threat to the flight and had me detained for 8 hours pending verification of my identification. Once they decided to compare my passport, driver's license, pilot certificate, medical certificate, EMT certificate and ID from the EMS provider i was working for (badge included) they let me go.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Skyguy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:43 pm

Fact is folks, that the TSA is staffed by the poorly educated who lack sufficient intelligence to make informed and logical decisions themselves. As a result, they are inexperienced people trained through paranoia and instructed not to think, simply remember rules and apply them with force. This means that you have many TSA employees who can not read properly, who are intoxicated with their new found powers and use it to intimidate you depending on how they feel. Case in point, go to LGA, LAX or DFW at anytime and see their rude attitude and treatment of passengers. They are just there to clock up hours and leave, there is hardly any degree of accomplishment or satisfaction in their job so in order to make themselves feel more meaningful, they create unnecessary and senseless problems for passengers. However, not all are like that but the general flavour of intelligence and attitude permeates throughout the system.

"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:02 pm

Damn good post Skyguy.

TSA is a joke, as much a joke as their predecessors. TSA=Thousands Standing Around. Government employees indeed. At least they fit that stereotype.

If any of you feel safer with the TSA than you did with their predecessors (many are the same people remember) then you're fools.

Smoothest TSA transit I've had: BHM. Worst: SFO, LGA, ATL, SEA

SEA only because it took two hours.

And what can you do - dispute their authority and then what? No fly list, detained for hours, yadda, yadda . . .

Perhaps the new DHS Secretary will re-invent this abyssmal organization.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

BDLGUY

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:14 pm

I had a TSA incident at BDL (MY home airport) last April 2004.

After work, I decided to stop by at BDL for spotting/photographing for a while. As I arrived at the public parking view on Rt. 20 and just found out all the aircrafts were landing/takeoff on Rwy 24. I was thinking myself..."Oh well...Okay, Let's go inside the terminal." So, I arrived at the long term parking garage about 4:30pm and headed to the terminal (near Sheraton Hotel) . An half hour later, I noticed a weird aircraft approached on Rwy 24 and I looked thru my tiny binoculars. It was a Planet Airways Boeing 727 N1910 and I was very exciting to see the three holers airliner.

All of the suddenly, I was approached by the TSA lady and talked to me about something. At this point, I apologized to her that I didn't understand what she said. I first told her that I am hearing impaired and showed her that I am wearing my hearing aids. She asked me very slowly..."Are you waiting for someone to coming home?" At this point I was not sure what she said but I had to figure out. So, I was very nervous and had trouble to talk to her. I told her I was just watching the planes and it was a hobby. She again asked me "why are you using your binoculars at the airport?" I asked her if there is a law against using my binoculars at the airport. (I personally don't think she understand me) She was like gasping and left very quickly. I tried to get my notepad and pen so I can write it down to explain to her what I was doing.

About 1/2 hour later, I decided to go to the bathroom. I noticed that the same TSA lady was standing near the Concorde restaurant at the Sheraton Hotel. So, I ignored her and continued to walk to the bathroom but I had changed my plan. So, I stopped by the local Bank ATM to withdrawal my $60.00 and left the ATM and noticed that she is still standing by the information booth. I was thinking myself "What's the F***k? Why did she following me?" So I entered to the bathroom and left the bathroom. I was very surprised to see that she was still watching me near the waiting room. So, I continued walking to the new terminal while she was still following me. I was very upset at this point so I was thinking myself "Forget it and let's go home now!!!" So, I headed to the parking garage ...Yes, she was still following me to the parking lot. I stopped at the ticket booth and paid $7.25 for parking for nothing!!!  Sad

From now on, next time, I will NOT spotting inside the airport. NO More!!!  Angry

John

John A. Perrotta (KBDL/BDL) - Canon 300D/400D & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

N743AS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:38 pm

don't get me started... I was "Gate Raped" on Saturday after I told the screener I'd rather keep my shoes on. So the Do***ebag made me do the whole secondary thing...EVEN THOUGH I SET NOTHING OFF! I was pissed off to say the least! I deal with this crap on a daily basis at work and am sick of Thousands Standing Around.

-743AS
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:46 pm

So, that begs the question N734AS . . .

Comment First: I have lots of miles - well over a million in the last 5 years - on my three primary carriers . . . and I have nothing but respect for the folks at the counters and more particulary the folks on the planes . . .

Question: Can the crews who get this treatment do anything about this? I mean, c'mon, if the TSA is playing their bullsh!t games with the folks that fly/work the flights, and getting away with it, what do you think happens to the poor bastards that come along for the ride.

Now - a non-VVFF may not know the difference one airport to another, one TSA team to another - but folks that spend most of their week on a plane going somewhere surely know.

I've never been one to hold my tongue about anything - until the TSA came along. I can't afford to be on a no-fly or watch list - I travel for a living essentially and it would put me out of work. So, I put up with their bullsh!t and drive on.

I can't imagine if a crew complained they could put you on a no-fly list . . . how bizarre would that be . . .

Regards.

[Edited 2004-12-08 11:09:36]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N743AS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:59 pm

the only guys that really made a point to the TSA got fired for their comments (a USair guy). I'd post his comments but in this day and age you gotta watch your 6 (Even when his comments where totally obvious, and right on). Crews are hastled often and we really can't do anything about it. They seem to view us as targets, because we have a desirable occupation and they just power trip with us. When I have to deal with the Babboons I remember that these morons have the ability to pull my ticket and my career out from right under me, so I just deal with the crap and go fly the plane. JUST WEAR FLIP-FLOPS!

-743AS
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

Skymonster

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:50 pm

Biggest problem I have is not with the rules, or the attitude, its the selectee screening. Either the x-rays and the metal detector arch work (in which case there's no need whatsoever for a RANDOM secondardy search - people should only get a secondary search when something unusual shows up on primary screening), or the x-ray and metal detectors don't work (in which case EVERYONE should get a secondary search). Random secondary search is inane because if the standard processes don't work 100%, a random secondary search cannot guarantee they'll find the bad guys.

WHen I flew through SJC a few weeks ago I was picked for a secondary search. They guy asked where I was from and I said "the UK". He said "I bet you have strict security there too" to which I replied "Yes, but we don't have victimisation like this". He asked what I meant and I said "Well I've set no x-ray or metal detector off and yet you're doing a detailed search. I can't see any justification for that. It amounts to victimisation of me because there are plenty of folks doing the same thing as me and yet you're not picking them out". He said "Well we've got to be sure" so I said "Well why aren't you being sure about all those other passengers?". He didn't answer - he was remarkably quiet after that - perfunctary, quick and polite, but I really think he actually got what I was saying.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ei a330-200

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:29 pm

There is one thing that you aren't taking into account, Richierich. The fact is, a mag light packs quite a wallop. If you hit someone with it, you could do serious damage. I most definitely would consider a Mag Light a weapon. Further, there is absolutely no reason for you to need a flashlight on the plane. Its not something you usually think about, but remember that police officers use Mag Lights and they can be used for things other than as a flashlight.

zonky

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 pm

Skymonster: Not all materials (plastics, etc) may show up in a scanner search- the random additional search is a sensible precaution.

Okie

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:42 pm

While I can not speak for every airport in the US, my experiences have been that MIA and IND are the most thorough from my point of view.

I have seen mixed results from many different airports. One airport I was at one screener was opening and checking every bag after his swab test while the other two at that station were not opening any after their swab test. I suspect that has to do with how that screeners spectrometer was calibrated and not the screener as he seemed relatively polite. He obviously could not let people through after getting an alarm but, you would think after a while he would notice that he was checking every bag and would stop to recalibrate his equipment.

My experience with TSA has been pretty good and anything beats the Gate Rape that was installed immediately after 9-11 until the TSA took over. My experience I noticed there was that whoever irritated the GA got the shake down and had nothing to do with security.

As far as the Thousands Standing Around statement goes with airlines scheduling flights in "banks" or large number of flights in a short period of time and then only a few during the next couple of hours then that sort of situation is just going to happen. The best I can tell is that the TSA is doing a pretty good job of keeping security lines waits less than 10 minutes in most cases. I know I sure would not jump at the challenge of trying to keep the number of screeners available for the varying quantity of passengers throughout the day in order to keep lines short.

Okie

HlywdCatft

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:24 pm

**""The problem appeared to be with my Maglite flashlight - the TSA officer at TPA deemed it "against regulations". This is a large, approximately 18" metal flashlight with 4D batteries in it. No hidden or concealed weapons, no switchblades, it is just a freaking flashlight (that works very well, I might add).""**

Just ask a couple of former Detroit cops if a Maglight can be used as a weapon. I am talking about Larry Nevers and Walter Budszyn who used a maglight to beat down Malice Green about 12 years ago killing him. I can see why they wouldn't allow you to take a mag light as a carryon. What is stopping someone from using one on a 110 lb flight attendant?

**""The mission of the TSA is to get passengers from point A to B safely (without terrorism). If it requires for them to strip search me everytime, I'll do it if it guarantees I'm not going to die because of some assholes' religious beliefs.

I am a white male and all of my experiences with the TSA have been professional and acceptable.""**

Maybe if they would do their job. If they weren't busy strip searching 85 year old ladies instead. I have to take my hat off when I walk through a metal detector, yet I haven't seen a Muslim woman have to remove her veil or a muslim man his turban (or whatever they call that thing that looks like a "towel")

TSA has sold out to political correctness, worse than the private companies because TSA is run by the government which is the ULTIMATE in political correctness. When you see a man who looks like Osama's twin brother walk through set off the metal detector and not get wanded or have to take off his shoes, but an old lady gets pulled aside and searched, there is something wrong with the TSA.

**""TSA is generally doing a good job- MUCH better than what we had before 9/11-""**

3/4 of them are the same workers who worked for the private security companies and just getting paid twice as much.

I have no problem taking my shoes off or getting patted down. My problem also is the lack of consistency also. A lot of them seem to avoid searching Muslims out of fear of a discrimination suit and instead search 85 year old ladies.... and as far as I know no 85 year old ladies have ever been a terrorist.

TSA has a lot of criminals too. My old girlfriend had her digital camera stolen after her lock was broken into and my buddy had his $100 Raybans stolen and inside the bag was one of those TSA stickers.

moman

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:36 pm

HlywdCatft:

I am also frustrated that they check seemingly innocent old people to the tooth and nail. I could give a crap less about political correctness.

Rich:

Not getting any sympathy for me for bringing a mag lite in a carry on. Why the hell did you have it? Whe the hell do people bring half their personal contents in a carry on?

If it were up to me, I'd ban all carryons except a small bag that would have to fit inside the box at the ticket counter. If it doesn't fit, it's not being carried on. End of story. This would solve a lot of problems including slow security lines, crammed overhead bins, late departures because people are taking time trying to put a 60 lb suitcase in the bin after everyone else has boarded, etc.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:42 pm

""The mission of the TSA is to get passengers from point A to B safely (without terrorism)""

Nooooo, it's the air carriers job to get passengers from point A to B safely. It's the TSAs job to make sure some freak of a religious zealot doesn't blow the damn plane up or fly it into a building while the air carrier is doing it's job.

""A lot of them seem to avoid searching Muslims out of fear of a discrimination suit""

TSA and DHS will deny this vehemently - but personally - I happen to think this is exactly the case . . . let's all be policitically correct. And let me add this . . . and await the inevitable flaming . . . I haven't seen a good old Southern Baptist blow anything up recently . . . nor I have I witnessed a Presbyterian take a bunch of school kids hostage. When I think about it, I don't recall seeing any buddhist fire bomb a hotel. Shall I continue? To hell with profiling fears and law suits - do your blasted job. Leave the little old ladies and kids alone . . .

""This is a large, approximately 18" metal flashlight with 4D batteries in it""

Agree with TSA on this one - sssshhh, don't tell anyone  Big thumbs up - this should have been in checked baggage.

fixplanes2

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:53 pm

As a airline employee I (VERY RELUCTANTLY---AND HATE EVERY MINUTE OF IT) do fly frequently.

When you drive onto airport property you do surrender all your rights of being a human citizen of U.S. Period. You regain those right when you drive out of the airport.

Inconsistency by TSA form one airport to another is well known.

And soooooo many TSA folks are ignorant of TSA's actual rules and dooooo use their new found Federal power to bully and intimidate travelers.

Some TSA'ers require "shoes off" and other not. Some send you for "pat down" if you do not remove shoes. But they don't tell you that up front. They use that to meet their "quota" of secondary screening victims.

Two year ago when this TSA nonsense got out of control, I bought the biggest SUV I could find and now happily drive whenever possible. And take everything with me that I want!

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:08 pm

TSA= Tom's Stupid Asses (No longer valid because Tom Ridge is gone)

Personally, I used to get gate raped (I love that term) almost every time I flew. I used to have my checked bags opened and rooted through. I used to have my virtually empty carry on bag emptied and then repacked.

However, over the last 2 years I started dressing a little better when I go to the airport. I used to wear shorts and a tshirt or whatever. Now I wear a button down shirt, khakis, sometimes even a tie. I am also careful to not carry any spare change or anything even remotely metallic, I haven't had to even speak to a representative of the Thousands Standing Around since I made that change.

My dad has recently been making quite a few flights out of DCA and IAD. He usually carries his digital camera in his carry on. For some reason Tom's Stupid Asses find it necessary to open every door on his digital camera and he has now had 2 memory cards destroyed by the TSA. What recourse does he have? None. The TSA can break your shit, steal your shit and you are powerless to recoup your losses.

The TSA was supposed to restore consistency and accountability to airline security, it has done anything but. You could fly through 50 different airports and find 50 different standards. There is zero accountability. If the TSA does something you disagree with or acts innapropriately what can you do? Not fly? Write a letter to someone who doesn't care? they have been given absolute power over anyone flying, and that has turned into a massive power trip. The worst part is, we are no safer because of it. The people doing the screenings are too stupid to spot a potential weapon they haven't been specifically trained about. Too many people underestimate terrorists. The people who take over airliners and fly them into buildings are anything but stupid. For security people to be effective they have to be as smart or smarter than the criminals. Sadly, I don't think even the people at the top of the TSA fit that criteria.

The TSA was also supposed to get people to return to the air by making them feel safe to fly. They may very well give some people the false sense of security they need. However, the TSA is a big part of why airlines are struggling. Imagine you are a business traveller, you frequently make a 300 mile trip, you fly down in the morning, fly back in the evening. It now makes more sense to drive that trip because of the TSA. Now you have to arrive 2hrs before each flight and get gate raped in the name of security. Short flights no longer make sense because a 30 minute flight now takes 2hrs and 30minutes.

I never understood why the flight crew gets such an aggressive search. Every time I pass through security it never fails to see a pilot getting virtually strip searched. Honestly, if the flight crew is determined to take control of the airplane I really doubt they are going to need a pair of 2in scissors.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

godspeed

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:12 pm

Having been a ticketing/gate agent for a major int.airline last year in MIA, i've found the utmost B.S. in which TSA works "so-called" doing their job.
More thn 75% of the time have i taken off my shoes,belt,etc.to get to the gate to meet an incoming flt.and also be wanded down with full airport/customs ID. In the meantime,I've watched passengers shoot through screening,even some I've checked in,with no problem.
But did u know,ticketing agents can give a person a "BIG RED 'S'" on their boarding pass just for being rude and obnoxious. Yes,we can make life miserable, be advised. I never did it,but, saw it happen often.......... and I'm no longer in the business either.
Enjoy Your Flight!!

willbdsp

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:54 pm

I've been patted down, felt up, goosed, and walked thru security barefoot on many occasions. My experiences with the TSA haven't been as bad as some of yours but there are a lot of inconsistencies. The best way around this, in my opinion, is to fly naked and Fed Ex your luggage.  Nuts

HlywdCatft

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:27 am

**"TSA= Tom's Stupid Asses"**

Hey, I created that one a while back, or at least I swear i did.

Yeah but we can't use it anymore. I forgot the name of the new guy.

Skymonster

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:33 am

Zonky said: Skymonster: Not all materials (plastics, etc) may show up in a scanner search- the random additional search is a sensible precaution.

No, absolutely not. If not everything shows up on the scanner, EVERYONE should be searched. If what you say is true, anything less is placing lives at risk.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

apcaz8

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:02 am

Reading everyone bad mouthing the TSA needs to realize some screener's may seem rude because they are dealing with passengers like yourself that think you deserve something from them. Myself being a baggage screener for the TSA I know first hand. As for the inconsistency's as posted in a previous post, not all airports are alike, have the same flights, etc, and protocol must be different at different airports because just that. As for HlywdCatft response saying we are crooks is ridiculous. The screener did put the sticker on to show you it was searched. Why would they put on the sticker and steal something. Your bag once handed off to the airline or TSA goes through a lot more people than just the TSA. Nothing you pack in your bag could make me wanna steal it just to get caught and loose my job. The selectee process was also run by the airlines and until recently was just being or is being handed over to the federal gov't to check travelers names with know lists of terrorists names. As for all you saying "I don't look like a terrorist," What exactly does a terrorist look like? Under Terrorist in the dictionary it doest say "Middle eastern man with a turban on his head." All travelers are potential terrorists and therefore profiling doesn't work and is illegal in this country. We do are best to get everyone through safely and in a timely manner, which in a perfect world would always happen, but when you have passengers that think they know the rules or question are job, how can we do that. All jobs in the eye of the public are hard jobs and stressful since your dealing with the general population and being that all people are different, some handle situations in different ways. Each airport has a set of rules and is consistent yet you can't make people perfect. They are just that human, all of you make mistakes and with the TSA being in the public eye and a new agency people seem to think we are robots to the gov't.

Edit: sp correction

[Edited 2004-12-08 18:08:53]