zrs70

Cities With 2 Airpts Of Equal Standing

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:12 am

What cities have more than one airport where neither is considered "secondary." (Secondary meaning the airport tends to attract low cost carriers).

Example: BUR is certainly secondary to LAX. MDW is secondary to ORD. But EWR is not secondary to LGA (or visa versa).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

rwylie77

RE: Cities With 2 Airpts Of Equal Standing

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:18 am

Belfast City and Belfast International both appear to be held in similar stature...

quickmover

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:25 am

I would say IAD-BWI or MIA-FLL. They are close in size, however IAD and MIA might be considered more international.

quickmover

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:28 am

Maybe add JFK-EWR to the list as well. JBLU has made JFK more domestic.

ssides

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 am

If you asked this 10 or 15 years ago, IAH and HOU would be very close. Now, they're more like MDW and ORD, but HOU used to have many more carriers than it does today.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

united4ever

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:31 am

Moscow springs immediately to mind.

Mike

N328KF

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:32 am

Zrs70:

I wouldn't even say EWR was secondary to JFK.

Anyhow, Berlin's series of airports might be a good example. Also Moscow.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

planespotting

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:09 am

SFO and SJC? not exactly in the same city but both have extensive domestic and international flights. i think...
Do you like movies about gladiators?

avek00

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:13 am

IMHO, it's virtually impossible for a city to have two unrestricted (i.e., the choice of airport served lies with the airline and not the airport/government) airports of "equal standing" for an extended period - over time, various factors WILL lead to the favoring of one airport over another, even if for different purposes (one airport for domestic/regional flights vs. another for longhaul overseas flying).
Live life to the fullest.

GLA MD11

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:22 am

To a certain extent, in Paris, neither CDG or ORY is secondary to the other, although they have different size. Both have international activities and LCC presence. Beavais is only LCC and charter.

legendDC9

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:44 am

To me the most obvious one is London with both LHR and LGW. Also, even though HND doesn't have the Int'l traffic that NRT does, it is just as busy and can handle similar type aircraft.

fbgdavidson

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:49 am

To me the most obvious one is London with both LHR and LGW

Oh? The fact LHR has a lot more international scheduled carriers and has (to be) 5 terminals and two runways yet LGW takes a majority of charter and low-cost and uses a single runway across two terminals.....not to mention much less passengers
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

airxliban

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:50 am

what about MXP and LIN?

Moscow is also a good one, as mentioned by United4ever...SVO, DVO, VKO.

I guess SVO would be considered the most major out of those.

Hmm what else...doesn't berlin have 3 airports? Tegel, Tempelhof and...Schonefeld?

I think the most major out of those is TXL.

For the region, maybe even MRS and NCE could be mentioned....even though they are not in the same city.

That is all that I can think of.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

aeronuts

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:54 am

Only if you are a SWA fan would you rate SJC is equal to SFO. In terms of traffic, and airlines, they are not even close.

legendDC9

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:04 am

Plus, SJC, SFO and OAK do belong to different major cities. Just because they are close in proximity, does not make them a true part of this thread.

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:08 am

Yea but even though EWR is consider a 'New York' airport and run by the Port Authority of NY/NJ, it is in Newark, NJ not NYC.
Someone special in the air

legendDC9

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:16 am

True, but the three bay area airports are run by 3 different commissions in 3 similar sized cities. I wasn't trying to split hairs, cuz you can say that LGA is in Queens, JFK in Brooklyn and so on... But you would agree that New York IS the dominant city in mix with all Port Authority airports?

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:18 am

even though HND doesn't have the Int'l traffic that NRT does, it is just as busy

"just as busy"?

...HND handles twice as much traffic as NRT in any give year
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

legendDC9

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:21 am

I knew that  Smile I just didn't want to come off making it sound like NRT is secondary to HND...

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:45 am

Without a doubt. I mean most of EWR's traffic out of the airport is heading for the tunnel and NYC. But my point is that is an entirely different state! Queens and Brooklyn are different boroughs but they are the same city...NYC. Oh and JFK is actually also in Queens.
Someone special in the air

avek00

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:52 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but equal standing means that the airports are equally capable AND equally permitted to handle all types of commercial traffic. None of the examples listed above fit both elements.
Live life to the fullest.

N328KF

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:58 am

Avek00:

What can JFK handle that EWR can't, or vice-versa? Or TXL/SXF?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

TWA902fly

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:04 am

I'd say there are many more factors effecting your question. But many cities have airports that serve two different purposes... and then the way airlines make use of airports as hubs make them different too. such as EWR and CO..

New York

JFK - International (mostly, plus JetBlue, AA, DL domestic)
LGA - if youre not flying farther than Denver, this would be your NYC airport...

Buenos Aires

EZE - International
AEP - Domestic, MVD, PDP

Nairobi

NBO - International, Hub for Kenya Airways
WIL - Domestic, Air Kenya, flights to Kenya and Tanzania

even London

LHR/LGW/STN - i dont mean to lump these together, but they're the bulk of international travel
LCY - for business connections to the major european and british cities.

Tokyo

NRT - International
HND - Domestic

twa902

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

hardiwv

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:22 am

TWA902fly:

And to complement your list:

Sao Paulo:

GRU/Guarulhos: international flights and some domestic long-distance flights;
CGH/Congonhas: domestic flights;
CPQ/Campinas: cargo and some domestic and international flights;

Rio de Janeiro:

GIG/Galea: international and domestic flights;
SDU/Santos Dummont: air shuttle Rio-Sao Paulo

Rgs,

keno

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:45 am

ICN - Incheon (Int'l)
GMP - Gimpo (Domestic)

B4REAL

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:02 am

KEno:

AF does not fly to Australia as indicated in your footer:

"Only 4 airlines in the world fly to all 6 continents : British Airways, Air France, South African & Malaysia Airlines"
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

MAH4546

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:03 am

I would say IAD-BWI or MIA-FLL. They are close in size, however IAD and MIA might be considered more international.

While the gap is getting narrower, MIA handles over 55% more traffic than FLL does.

Though, in the region, Fort Lauderdale is by far the dominant domestic airport, and MIA handles the huge bulk of international traffic, with most of MIA's domestic traffic coming from connecting passengers.
a.

Carpethead

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 pm

Number of movements wise, NRT is catching up to HND because of the additional runway but HND will handle more pax.

Here's another pair in Japan & Asia.
Osaka Kansai - int'l & Osaka Itami - domestic
Shanghai Pudong - int'l & domestic + Shanghai Hongqiao - domestic

Also doesn't Rome have two airports. Not sure how big the other airport opposite to FCO.

airxliban

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:02 pm

yes, rome does have another airport.

i think its called ciampino or something.

no one ever answered my question in regards to LIN and MXP.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

flyTPA

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:07 pm

As far as LIN and MXP are concerned, LIN handles no intercontinental flights. It is primarily an airport that caters to Italian domestic flights and flights to major European cities. MXP is much larger and handles a mix of flights from Intercontinental to European to domestic.

CIA and FCO are in no way alike either. CIA has, I believe 4 or 5 gates, and is served by LCC and occasional charters. No airbridges there. FCO is a major international airport with domestic, european, and intercontinental flights that abound. A look in the Rome Airports timetable lists the CIA flights on just 2 pages, whereas the Rome flights take about 20 pages.

Neither set of airports could be considered as being of equal standing.
Signore e signori-benvenuti a bordo questo volo per l'Italia!

spacecadet

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:51 pm

Without a doubt. I mean most of EWR's traffic out of the airport is heading for the tunnel and NYC. But my point is that is an entirely different state! Queens and Brooklyn are different boroughs but they are the same city...NYC. Oh and JFK is actually also in Queens.

EWR is still a New York area airport. And it's operated by the Port Authority, which also operates JFK and LGA.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying in return that the distinction doesn't mean anything. EWR is hardly the only airport in the world that serves a city from outside the city/state/province/prefecture limits (Narita, for example, is 40 miles away from Tokyo, and in a different prefecture - it'd be like having a major airport in East Brunswick, NJ!). That doesn't mean those airports don't also serve other areas, though. Artificial political boundaries do not determine the geographical regions or population centers that an airport serves - it's not like people in Manhattan say "oh, I'm a New Yorker, I guess I'm forbidden from using EWR!". Political boundaries are meaningless in this context, unless there's some sort of armed border checkpoint in between you and the airport! But there's no such thing between New York and EWR.

Anyway, in terms of aircraft movements and passengers carried JFK, EWR and LGA are all roughly on equal terms; sometimes one is ahead, sometimes another (right now EWR is the busiest NY area airport, by a small margin, for the last few years). I'd say they're generally equal but serve a bit different markets, with LGA obviously primarily carrying short-haul domestic runs and JFK and EWR handling a mix. EWR does have more domestic flights than JFK, though, but JFK's catching up.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!