macc

MD-series: Past?

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:18 am

i am fully ignorant of the status of the MD series. is there still a production of these planes? is boing closing down the MD line? (or already closed?)

can someone give details?

thanks
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

EMBQA

RE: MD-series: Past?

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:23 am

I guess you could say the first MD Series aircraft was the MD-80. Then the revampted DC-10, the MD-11.... then MD-90 and MD-95 which later became the 717.

So, to answer your question... there is no longer a production of a 'true' MD aircraft. The Boeing 717 (MD-95) is still in production, but I thought I read that would come to an end as Boeing already had aircraft that fit that market.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Scorpio

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:23 am

They're all out of production (MD-80, MD-90, MD-11). Of the commercial MD line, only the 717 (originally launched by McDD as the MD-95) remains in production, at a rate of only about one per month.

macc

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:43 am

the md-11 were produced not until long ago, i thought. is that true?

what became of the MD production plants? are they closed down or is boing using them now?
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

N328KF

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:45 am

Macc:

Just three years ago or so, the last MD-11F rolled off the line for Lufthansa. This plant (Long Beach) still produces the 717 and the C-17. I think it's also used for SeaLaunch.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

macc

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:53 am

thanks all!

its sad when an aircraft type slowly disappears from the sky. i still hope that the russians will recover one day...

the worst thing ever would be, if just boeing and airbus were left. then spotting would be as interesting as curling...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos