boeingforever

Continental To FLY NYC-Nice?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am

I heard a rumor that Continental is going to start flying to NICE(NCE) this summer from EWR. Delta has a daily flight spring/summer that Airfrance codeshares on, and its always packed. you can never get a mileage seat or upgrade on it..does it sound right that CO would try to pick up that lucrative route, even though its served by fellow SKYTEAM airlines....

p.s i wish they would

LONG LIVE GORDON BETHUNE

FoxBravo

RE: Continental To FLY NYC-Nice?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:52 am

Yes, EWR-NCE would be a great route for CO. It is always packed with wealthy tourists, willing to pay a premium for the nonstop flight, during the summer season. Just check out DL's fares on JFK-NCE. Despite competition from DL, I'm sure that filling another daily 767 would be no problem at all.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

dutchjet

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:08 am

Nice is rumored to be on CO's list of destinations for future European expansion, along with Barcelona, Prague, Newcastle, Copenhagen, Helsinki and a few others. If CO opened service to NCE, it would likely be with a winglet equipped 757.

There is also a rumor floating around that CO is looking at opening flights out of EWR to several French regional airports - ie, Nice, Marsaille, Lyon, etc. CO has been very successful with their services to UK regional airports (CO next summer will serve EDI, GLA, BFS, BRS, BHX and MAN aside from London) and is thinking about trying to repeat its success with this approach in France. Other airlines have tried, but without success.....but that was years ago, those airlines did not use the very cost-effective and right sized 752 on the routes, and the other attempts did not have the power of CO's EWR hub to support the flights. If the France thing happens, it probably will not be for a couple of years - but CO may have discovered an interesting niche, with the major European (and US) airlines very focused on European capital city hubs, long haul service out of other European cities seems to fade away. There is certainly demand for nonstop transatlantic service out of most of these "smaller" cities (and most of these cities are indeed quite large) and pax just may be willing to pay higher fares for direct service and avoid crowded hubs like Paris, London and Frankfurt.

If CO is successful with its new services to cities like Berlin and Hamburg, I think we will see further expansion from CO accross the Atlantic.

toxtethogrady

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:25 am

Nice? Nice. Hope CO's got the 757's for all those European cities...

Azul320

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:32 am

Another! It's like this guy(Bethune) has a globe and a string of all his transatlantic aircraft ranges and is randomly picking routes in his office.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

toxtethogrady

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:34 am

As long as they all start in EWR...