SLC1
Topic Author

Old Service NW To Ely, MN

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:59 am

I remember seeing somewhere that NW had service to Ely, MN but can't seem to find anything about it. Anyone know anything more?
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

iowaman

RE: Old Service NW To Ely, MN

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:12 am

Ely did have seasonal only but it appears to be discontinued.

Tango-Bravo

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:21 am

While I can remember the service, I do not specifically recall the year(s) NW Airlink (Mesaba) offered MSP-Ely service. Since I recall that the service was operated with Metro III  Sad equipment, it must have been sometime in the mid-late 1990s. The service was seasonal during the Summer months and was offered primarily for vacationers traveling to the the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) in Northeast Minnesota. There may have been some partnership between Northwest/Mesaba and the Minnesota Dept. of Tourism in initiating the service. So far as I reacall, the flights lasted only one season.

redtailmsp

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:25 am

Yes, Mesaba flew Saab 340s daily during the summer for 3-4 years. I think that last summer was the first without these flights. From memory, the routing was MSP-Ely-Kenora, Ontario for the most part. There may have been other routings too as it typically served two destinations. These flights were popular for carrying people to fishing lodges and resorts around the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, or north of the border around Lake of the Woods.

SLC1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:27 pm

I saw on a NW destination map from a year ago where Ely was listed, but I think it hadn't been updated
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean