Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

If Winglets Are Most Effective On Longer Hauls...

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:29 am

...then why does Southwest's daily BWI-SJC flight consistently use -700s that are still without winglets?? Seeing a -700 without winglets at SJC is becoming more and more rare these days but if there is one flight that consistently comes in without winglets, its the BWI-SJC flight that is supposedly the longest flight in the system. The flight wont be around much longer anyway, but it just seems kind of ironic to me. You would think they'd route only aircraft with winglets for that flight. There seems to be enough in the system by now.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mauilono

RE: If Winglets Are Most Effective On Longer Hauls

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:38 am

I agree. It's just as insane as CO and AA transcon 737s with no winglets. At least Alaska is FINALLY gonna outfit the 73Gs with winglets. Gotta spend some money to make more in the long run I believe.

Boeing Nut

RE: If Winglets Are Most Effective On Longer Hauls...

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:46 am

Winglets are also beneficial for carrying more payload, not just range.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

OPNLguy

RE: If Winglets Are Most Effective On Longer Hauls

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:00 pm

>>>You would think they'd route only aircraft with winglets for that flight. There seems to be enough in the system by now.

The main driver of aircraft routing is assuring that the aircraft hit selected maintenance facilities at certain times for overnight work.

A couple of months ago, a non-wingletted -700 on a BWI-SJC might have been problematic weight-wise, but we've since completed the engine upgrade from 22,000 lbs of thrust to 24,000 lbs. and that has mitigated the absolute need for a wingletted -700 on this route. If we still have a weight problem, and a wingletted -700 will solve it, we'll put one on it as long as the overall maintenance routings are not compromised. In another few months, it'll be a moot point, as all the -700s will have been retrofitted with winglets.

Next time you're at HDQ, stop by Dispatch and see how things work here....  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.