airish

United Among Those Planning To Enter India

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:34 am

This article says United Airlines are among those planning to enter India. Does anyone know when this might be and from which airport.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/956172.cms
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

LFutia

RE: United Among Those Planning To Enter India

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:42 am

I'm hoping UA will go ORD -> India N/S
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

United_fan

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:03 am

They used to operate there as part of thier ATW flights. From LHR and HKG. There was talk of a ORD n/s but that was dropped after 911. They dropped India entirely.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

jacobin777

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:04 am

interesting, I started a post on this topic just recently..

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1844486
"Up the Irons!"

aa61hvy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:30 am

I thought UA flew to India?

UA1: LAX-HKG-DEL-FRA-ORD or something to that effect.
Go big or go home

bananaboy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:32 am

Their India flight used to leave LHR and head over to DEL and the HKG.

I know it was VERY popular with the crews but was suspended soon after 911.

EDIT : They announced it 17th Sep 2001 that the route would cease.

Where did it go after HKG? SYD then MEL, LAX, and ORD?

Mark

[Edited 2004-12-12 01:43:57]

[Edited 2004-12-12 01:44:30]
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ConcordeBoy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:36 am

UA killed its Indian ops years ago.

And if this is a proposed ORD-DEL nonstop, don't hold your breath... would only be the 3rd or 4th time they've proposed doing it in about a decade.  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

gigneil

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:39 am

Where did it go after HKG? SYD then MEL, LAX, and ORD?

UA 1 went IAD-LHR-DEL-HKG-LAX-IAD.
UA 2 went IAD-LAX-HKG-DEL-LHR-IAD.

N

jasepl

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:03 am

I've got to agree with Frédéric on this one. Besides, if we need any more proof that the Times of India's little more than a wannabe sensationalist rag, here are some selections from the article linked above:

• "Some of the recent entrants are... Alitalia, Aeroflot, Iran Air, Quantas...."

• "Those that would increase their flight frequencies...Singapore Airways... and Cathway Pacific...."
  •  
    kkfla737

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:44 am

Alitalia, Aeroflot, Iran Air

These three Airlines have flown to India as long as I can remember. Sure at one time Aeroflot served only Delhi and Alitalia Bombay, but they are NOT new to the Indian market. Perhaps they have added new destination within the last 5-7 years but that doesn't mean they have recently entered the market. I guess LH is also new to the market when HYD comes online in March.

jasepl

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:50 am

Both AZ and QF have stopped and resumed operations before, but that does not make then new entrants by any stretch.

IR have been here for ever.

SU used to fly from Moscow to at least Bombay, Calcutta & Dilly (and beyond). At one time they pulled out of BOM and CCU, but re-started daily BOM ops some time ago.

Plus, the Times have these brilliant airline names and spellings: Quantas, Singapore Airways and Cathway Pacific!

JC5280

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:24 am

Makes sense. UA still employs airport staff there, though there is no current UA flight. Also, some outsourcing of the call centers will be going to India soon.

LFutia

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:58 pm

LH serves more Indian destinations than most European airlines!

LH serves:Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and soon Hyderabad.
    BA serves:Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai
    KL serves:Delhi, Mumbai (NW), (Used to serve Kolkata every wednesday via Delhi)

and many others... these are a few of the major players that go to India...

many European Charters like to fly to Goa too...

uadc8contrail

Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:13 pm

jc5280,
    ua still has airport employees there(DEL)?????i was under the impression that they were let go...........i know this should be on a new thread.......the routes i see coming online at ual will be ORD-ARN,ORD-DEL,ORD/IAD-PRG,ORD/IAD-MAN. would be willing to bet that 3 of these cities come online in the year 2005........im staking my name on this ual777 so i will expect a carlton cold if my cities come true AND a public acknowldgement of the fact that burnsie28 and NWAFA are a great asset to A.NET
    bus driver.......move that bus:)

AV8AJET

Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:24 pm

Is Delta the only current US airline to fly to India now (Mumbai, BOM)?

DL 118 CDG-BOM 11:00AM-12:15AM
    DL 119 BOM-CDG 02:20AM-07:55AM

Flights start and terminate in JFK.
    "To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

LFutia

Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:34 pm

nope. NW flies to Mumbai from AMS:

NW 42: AMS-BOM 10.25a - 11.20p
    NW 41: BOM-AMS 01.20a - 06.30a

NW 46: AMS-BOM 2.35p - 3.30a
    NW 45: BOM-AMS 5.30a - 10.40a

Flights start and terminate in MSP

[Edited 2004-12-12 07:35:41]

B747-437B

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:37 pm

UA still employs airport staff there, though there is no current UA flight.

No. United kept their airport staff on the payroll during their first cessation of operations to India, but they were all terminated after the second cessation of operations in September 2001.

I interviewed a handful of the ex-UA folks in 2002 when I was doing some recruitment in India on behalf of a client and they told me that they do have preferential recall rights if UA were to start up again in Delhi, but for now they are no longer employees.

I think jasepl summed up the article perfectly, so I won't bother adding anything more for now.
    "The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

yyz717

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:52 pm

Maybe they will resurrect their planned 744 nonstop ORD-DEL. God knows they have enough spare 744's lying around.

Wonder whether this would hurt AC's YYZ-DEL?
    I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

uadc8contrail

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:22 pm

Maybe they will resurrect their planned 744 nonstop ORD-DEL. God knows they have enough spare 744's lying around.

Wonder whether this would hurt AC's YYZ-DEL?

YYZ717,
    hurt AC??????there will never be enough carriers flying from NORTHAM to INDIA.....any ual folks in here......type in RQ then type in city pairs..
    IE:RQ ORD-ARN.........LOOK AT THE DATE THAT THE ROUTE WAS BUILT.....
    RQ ORD PRG-24MAR04
    RQ IAD PRG-08JAN04
    would be nice to see a non CO 57/67 flying into a new euro city........BTW ord/iad-man routes were built in oct of 04....so if BD gets the india routes im sure you will see UAL going into MAN.........
    bus driver.......move that bus:)

B747-437B

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:36 pm

if BD gets the india routes im sure you will see UAL going into MAN

In case you didn't notice, BMI did get the India routes and they will be launching 4x weekly service to Mumbai from London-Heathrow.
    "The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

B747-437B

Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:10 pm

there will never be enough carriers flying from NORTHAM to INDIA

While the market demand itself has grown at an annual rate of 40% over the past few years, direct capacity in the market has grown significantly faster. Compared to 2002, we now see a 236% increase in direct capacity. With the introduction of Air Canada's service, the biggest loser in DIRECT marketshare (that excludes 6th freedom traffic) was actually Northwest while Air India has actually seen an increase in proportional share (from 53% to 55% of all direct passengers).

The result of this explosive growth in direct service has been a reduction in the market share of a number of 6th freedom carriers. Some carriers such as Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines realigned their strategies to target secondary markets (AMD, BLR, HYD, etc..) rather than the two primary markets (BOM, DEL) that see extensive competition. Others such as British Airways and Cathay Pacific have seen their market shares of India-NA traffic plummet as a result of their inability to respond.

Can the overall market sustain another direct carrier? Probably yes. Can the primary markets sustain another direct carrier? Probably not. No North American carrier has the cost structure to compete profitably and effectively with Indian and sixth freedom carriers, and most do not have the cash reserves to commit to long-term market development either. The solution has to lie in developing a unique product offering that provides tangible consumer benefits to support the premium cost structure. My personal feeling is that this will come via scheduling efficiencies, but we'll see what actually develops...

karan69

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:10 pm

Is Air Canada doing well on their direct services from toronto-delhi??
    What are their load factors?

Like Sean mentions that UA would probably not do well in a Direct US-primary market flight-then what should be there other option i.e which EU/UK city

behramjee

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Sean, I feel that ONE of the reasons why airlines u mentioned such as SQ-CX (and I'll include) MAS-TG have seen their market share from North America to BOM and DEL fall in the last few years is probably due to more flying time.

If u use SQ-CX-MAS or TG to fly to North America from BOM especially, you need to stop twice before reaching LAX-YVR or SFO...once in their hub airport and one more time in a city in between.

CX : BOM-BKK-HKG-USA/YVR/YYZ
    SQ : BOM-SIN-HKG-SFO / BOM-SIN-TPE/NRT-LAX / BOM-SIN-ICN-YVR
    MAS : BOM-KUL-LAX via which city I forgot
    TG : BOM-BKK-KIX-LAX

Instead of flying these airlines having two stops, people are now I feel finding the convenience of flying Lufthansa-Air France-Austrian-BA-AZ-AI-EK(from JFK)-KLM-DL, a more convenient and less time consuming option than the Far East carriers.

Lastly, how do ANA, JAL, KE and OZ do loads and yield wise out of BOM/DEL?

Just my 0.02  Smile

cx750

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:37 am

BOM/DEL will be strong for some time to come, and you can expected UA and others to start nonstop service. I believe even CO was looking into EWR-India service. Currently, US Carriers do not have the right aircraft for India.

Both UA's B744 and CO's 772s will have to take payload restrictions during the winter. At the same time, yields have stagnated a bit - once those improve, we'll def. see nonstop service. I predict sometime towards the end of 2005, just in time for India's peak season.

(Although AC does operate with A343 and now A345s, they experiened some techinical difficulties with the A343, with return stops in Copenhagen)

SLUAviator

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 am

I've heard several UA people at ORD say they are going back to India (as well as lots of other cities) so who knows if there is a shred of truth to it. If anyone has ever been in T5 at ORD before Air India goes out will know there is a market for flights to India out of Chicago. The question now becomes if the demand is big enough to support multiple flights, is it big enough to support 2 747s a day? Does anyone even know if the 747-400 can do ORD-BOM/DEL non stop? Air India makes a stop in Europe, and if UA can do it non-stop I think that would give them a real competitive advantage being able to advertise the only non-stop flight to India from Chicago.
    What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

karan69

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:25 am

MAS : BOM-KUL-LAX via which city I forgot

The city is tokyo -NRT-i flew that route in 2001 and it was hectic.

Sticking to the thread-
    Is UA really that interested in India-we all know how good the reports are of the Indian Newspapers, Jason nicely said it regarding this articles credibility.

Many times UA have said that they will start non-stop flights, but do they have aircrafts to do it without any payload restrictions?? i guess not.
    Are they financialy strong enough to support the route just incase it fails.

airish

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:00 am

I really wonder if there is going to be enough of a market for both Air India and United out of ORD with both routing flights via another point. I would have thought if ORD was used it would have to be non stop such as United was going to do before.

Also I wonder if the business contracts that would come with running route non stop make it worth doing.
    Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

jacobin777

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:02 am

this has been a previously discussed topic..

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1844486
    "Up the Irons!"

behramjee

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:23 am

CX 750,

If UAL-CO and others are finding it hard to fly their own aircraft with payload restrictions nonstop from the US East Coast to BOM or DEL, then there is no harm what so ever in having a short 45 minute technical refuelling stop at a cheap EU airport such as Oslo or Shannon enroute to India...none of their pax would mind that as its a very short layover time. Demand levels will still be high !!!

Since ORD has way too much DIRECT competition for UAL on Indian routes with AI-KU-RJ-BA-AF-OS-LH-LX etc, it would be best if they flew to India by originating the flight at their IAD-Washington DC Dulles hub.

mrniji

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:44 am

of their pax would mind that as its a very short layover time

Oh, if I booked a nonstop- I would mind, since takeoff, landing, re-routing etc takes more than 45 min.

Then, I personally would never take a nonstop over 12 hrs (my 14 hrs nonstop I took once made me mutating on board)... since many other fellows think the same, I wonder if, apart from business pax, demand is high enough for nonstops
    "The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

behramjee

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:19 am

Mrniji...I strongly agree with you concerning our mutual dislike of ultra long haul flights. I once flew TPE-LAX and SFO-TPE (14.20 hrs) on Eva Air B 744M and I hated it so much. Even my twice annual AMS-ORD-AMS flights on KU A 343s of 9 hours approx I find very very tiring and boring.

And yes I do feel that many people from the Indian subcontinent would not find it appealing sitting in a plane for 15+ hours nonstop from ORD/JFK/IAD to DEL/BOM and therefore a 45 min or even 1 hour refuel stop/layover at Oslo/SNN would do no harm to UALs demand levels on India flights.

SHUPirate1

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:35 am

Here are the current US-India route authorities:

AA: BOS/BWI/CLE/DEN/DTW/LAX/MCI/MSP/OAK/ORD/PHL/PIT/SFO/SJC/WAS-all India points (7/1/91), plus EWR/JFK/STL/ITO/HNL/GUM/LAX/LGB/ONT-all India poins (4/9/01)

CO Mike: GUM/SPN-all India points (11/24/92)

CO: all-points authority US-India (8/22/00)

DL: all-points authority US-India (10/18/91)

FX: all-points passenger authority US-India (2/13/85)

UA: all-points authority US-India (4/17/92)

No idea why NW's route authorities to India isn't listed in the DOT-issued document I am looking at (could it be because it's dated 11/1/03?)
    Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

behramjee

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:40 pm

SHUpirate1...through which UK/EU or Arab cities are US carriers such as CO-UAL-AA allowed to fly to India with 5th freedom rights? DL already does via CDG and FRA whereas NWA does via AMS and UAL used to fly to DEL via LHR.

SHUPirate1

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:13 pm

Behramjee-No mention in the document that I have...sorry... Sad
    Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

B747-437B

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:56 pm

Here are the current US-India route authorities

Those do not take into consideration either the 1995 MoC and the re-designation of statuses conferred therein as well as the approval of a second category of designated carriers to engage in third-country codeshares. As such, it is not an accurate list and is very misleading.

burnsie28

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:26 pm

How about they file a restructuring plane first.

B747-437B

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 pm

through which UK/EU or Arab cities are US carriers such as CO-UAL-AA allowed to fly to India with 5th freedom rights?

The bilateral agreement permits US carriers to route to Mumbai/Delhi/Kolkata "via points in Canada, Ireland, U.K., Europe, Africa and Asia" with the caveat that the rights "will not be utilized for an amount of traffic betwen India and third countries and vice versa which is unreasonable".

Effectively, that means that United States carriers may route services to India via virtually any country in those regions with which it has an open skies agreement. The relevant countries are :

Austria
    Bahrain
    Belgium
    Benin*
    Brunei
    Burkina Faso*
    Cape Verde*
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Gambia*
    Germany
    Ghana*
    Iceland
    Italy
    Jordan
    Korea
    Luxembourg
    Malaysia
    Malta
    Morocco*
    Namibia*
    Netherlands
    Nigeria*
    Norway
    Oman*
    Pakistan
    Poland
    Portugal
    Qatar
    Romania
    Rwanda*
    Senegal*
    Singapore
    Slovak Republic
    Sri Lanka
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    Tanzania*
    Turkey
    Uganda*
    United Arab Emirates
    Uzbekistan

* : Service with traffic rights via points denoted with (*) is only permitted to Mumbai and Kolkota and not to Delhi.

karan69

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:04 pm

Those are a lot of options for UA and CO

cx750

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:59 am

Behramjee,

A 45 min technical stop could work however, the current margins are very thin, and the stop would eliminate the fare "premium". I agree, long flights are not my thing, but people are willing to pay the extra bucks to fly nonstop.

I also think that people under estimate India yields - and unlike most regions, there are two peak seasons, instead of the typical summer peak.

B747-437B

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:19 am

I also think that people under estimate India yields

Who are the "people" who you "think" underestimate India yields?

I have found the opposite to be true in that most western airline managers tend to use their traditional yield-driven market models for both India-destination and India-origin traffic rather than understanding the reality of the market economics for India-origin traffic.

people are willing to pay the extra bucks to fly nonstop

Again I would disagree. The strong market share of sixth freedom carriers on routes ex-India (including those where direct and nonstop service has been available) has shown this market to be far more price sensitive than most western airlines realize - a big reason why United has failed miserably in India multiple times.

Cx750, I'd be interested in seeing what data you have to back up your assertations because everything that I have compiled indicates otherwise.

cx750

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:45 am

B747-437B,

I do agree with you on price sensitivity of the Indian market, an airline seat is basically a commodity - but new external factors should allow carriers to charge a small premium for serving India nonstop.

Visa rules in Europe (essentially the UK) create an additional hurdle of stopping in Europe and passengers may think about paying a little more to avoid the visa complications. In addition, business traffic has grown since UA last served Delhi, and biz pax are more likely to pay a premium for the reduced travel time.

My point about the underestimating India yields is based on US industry sources, mainly opinions about potential nonstop service and expected fares used in forecasts, your model probably serves as a better source about current India yields.

In any case, it will be interesting to see the fares driven by the US-India nonstops.

behramjee

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:10 am

Cx750,

The entire Indian sub-continent is a very price sensitive market as Sean B747-437B mentioned in his latest post. That is why you see airlines which have ultra cheap fares like Aeroflot having over a 30% market share on the YYZ-DEL-YYZ route. Kuwait Airways too out of ORD and JFK has a sizeable market share of USA NRI pax going to India going to India especially to places such as COK-TRV-MAA due to its v low and attractive fare deals.

People in USA who want to fly to India in December, book-reserve and pay for their seats literally 7-10 months in advance to get the cheapest fare on offer as if u want to fly to India in Dec and make a booking in late summer, even though its 6 months before travel date, you're looking at a US $ 2000+ ticket price tag. However, if u make the booking in February, the price ranges from US $ 1100-1500 depending on airline and date of travel in Dec dep USA.

A friend of B 747-437B and mine booked his 2 sons in mid April BOS-BOM-BOS on LH and in April the cheapest fare on offer at the time was US $ 1800!!! So you can just imagine what fares LH were charging late booking passenges in the summer and autumn seasons.

cx750

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:27 am

That is what I have heard as well, even "consolidator" prices are very high, during several months of the year. In my opinion, a nonstop would def. show sustainable yields..

AADC10

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:28 am

United RTW service was Flt. 1 going west and Flt. 2 going east on 744s. The stops included DEL LHR IAD LAX and HKG. I flew on parts of it several times, but never went all the way around. I thought that ORD-DEL actually flew for a while before it was dropped. Was India a pet project of former executive Rono Dutta?

If United returns to India, it would probably be the old ORD-DEL because it offers the best feed from the domestic network. Although United has announced that it is turning toward international flights, India is a marginal yield flight and they have to use a 744 to get there. The cattle car approach will not work to India because there are just not enough immigrants and tourists to support it. There has to be sufficient business travel. United still has flight authority to the Philippines and there are more Filipinos than Indians in the U.S., but there is little interest in returning to MNL.

Can a UA 744 get from SFO to DEL? I presume not but that could be a popular flight for software companies.

gigneil

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:36 am

Its doable, but I'm sure it were profitable AI or UA would already be doing it.

N

B747-437B

Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:19 am

Further to my comments in reply 20, Delta announced today that they will commence daily service from New York JFK to Chennai via Paris CDG effective May 2005 subject to government approval.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos