ual777contrail

EDI And It's Surroundings

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:18 pm

I will be making a quick trip into EDI in march. What is close to the airport? Is it close to downtown? And what is there to do in EDI for 2 days.

Will be taking BD, LHR-EDI.

Any help would be nice.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

gkirk

RE: EDI And It's Surroundings

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:32 pm

The zoo is pretty close. Those penguins rule!  Big thumbs up
Last time I was there it cost something like £6 return for a bus to the city centre.
EDI for two days, hmmm, castle go to Deep Sea World (North Queensferry) and other tourist stuff
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

nighthawk

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:36 pm

The castles a must, you cant go to edinburgh and not visit the castle! The Royal Yacht Britannia is also worth a visit down in leath. You might need a little more than 2 days though to explorer edinburgh, there's plenty to do...

gkirk

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:53 pm

One thing to add about Nighthawks post...it's Leith, not Leath  Wink/being sarcastic
You could always go into Princess Street Gardens and chase the squirrels  Laugh out loud

whiskeyhotel

Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:11 pm

Climbing Arthur's Seat at 3:30 in the afternoon for sunset (yep, that's when it goes away this time of year) is always nice. If you catch it on a day like today, very fun...there's a lovely gale blowing outside. Let's see, there's also a tree in the meadows that hasn't lost all of its leaves yet (a minor miracle). You should also take the opportunity to get as drunk as possible on the cowgate. Winter's a bit bleak here...best to just follow the locals' lead and cower in a pub

ScottishLaddie

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:52 am

EDI is 8 miles from the City centre(15 Km(?))
Check out the castle and the 'Winter Wonderland' thing going on in Princes Street Gardens, very festive.  Big grin Taxi or 100 bus will get you from the airport into town.
If you're a skier, you can try out Europe's largest outdoor dry sky slope?  Smile
Etc, etc.

gkirk

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:56 am

Ah yes, forgot about the ski slope. Very nice restaurant near the bottom of the slope if I remember rightly

N328KF

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:10 am

Yeah, you've got to go to the castle. Unfortunately, you've missed St. Andrews Day. They let you in for free that day. Not that it's really expensive anyhow. The yacht is sort of enh. It's nice to see for the historical factor. "This is where Charles and Diana bumped uglies," etc.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

ScottishLaddie

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:49 am

Very nice restaurant near the bottom of the slope if I remember rightly

Yes, popular too.
Loads of info here:

http://www.edinburgh.org/

ual777contrail

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:44 am

Thank You all SO much, I have now planned many fun things. I will see the castle, I didn't know there was a ski slope(dry?) I will visit many pubs, and climbing Arthurs seat sounds cool. Does anybody know a reasonable place to stay for 3 people? Close to the surroundings. Thanks again all for the help. I have visited Scotland a few years back, flew into ABZ, and never went any more south than ABZ, I then flew out of INV.

Thanks again.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

gkirk

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:46 am

There's a nice B+B called the Aarajura which I stayed in a couple of years ago when I was last in Edinburgh.
Search for that in Google. Recommend it highly  Smile

N328KF

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:49 am

Ual777contrail:

I stayed in the Jury's Inn. Not a bad rate, especially if you book through American United Airlines. It's a 5 minute walking distance from all the main stuff, and 10 minutes to the castle.

[Edited 2004-12-14 18:54:10]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

dogfighter2111

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:52 am

I don't know if i should be telling you this, but there is an Emergency gate so close to the RWY. There are only 2 problems, Police go around a lot and may be suspicious and you will need a car to get there. It's a great place to go, but if you do, don't forget Passport.

Mike

ScottishLaddie

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:03 am

'Winter Wonderland' thing going on in Princes Street Gardens, very festive

You fool! You're visiting in March, of course!  Insane

Yep dry skiiing, it's covered in this stuff though, so keep those thumbs tucked in.  Big grin

buckieboy

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:34 am

All,

This sounds very childish & I know there has been a lot of bickering on the thread about a direct GLA to Germany flight, however.....

Simply go to Glasgow! It is only 70 km away.

However, I agree that there's plenty to do in Edinburgh for 2 days.

If the weather's good, try and get a window seat on the right as the normal approach over the estuary will yield fantastic views of the Forth Rail Bridge. In fact taking a train over the bridge would also be a good idea. Buy tickets for North Queensferry (just over the bridge) or Inverkeithing which will have more trains stopping.

Cheers

CTA (Switzerland)">BB

I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

vadheim

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:52 pm

I came back from a long weekend in Scotland last weekend, stayed 2 nights in Edinburgh and 1 night in Glasgow.

Plenty to do in Edinburgh and it is such a beautiful city both scenery and architecture. Royal Castle is nice and Britannia down at the Ocean Terminal in Leith is also worth a visit otherwise plenty of shopping and monuments Smile

ual777contrail

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:44 am

Thanks for all the help, I know I will see the castle for sure. I will probably stay at the Jury's Inn, pretty nice rate. I also found out that the Dropkick Murphy's will be in town the same night. I think at the Liquid Room. Anybody ever hear of them or it(liquid room)

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

ScottishLaddie

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:52 am

Anybody ever hear of them or it(liquid room)

Yeah, I've been to see a gig at the Liquid Room before. Pretty small place in the basement of one of the large terraced houses in the Old Town. It's in Victoria Street, just off the Royal Mile. It's not a bad place at all, good acoustics too.

Hardkor

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:31 am

Make sure to take a stroll down the "Royal Mile", expensive but trendy area. I was only there for a night in August, but make sure you go to the Castle, definitely the first priority I would say (even before the pubs)
Have fun,
Hardkor

ual777contrail

Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Thanks all, I will visit most if not all of the recommendations.

I will see the castle, and the Dropkick Murphys.

A340600

Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:16 pm

OOoh and you have to go to the Edinburgh dungeons, they're really scary Laugh out loud.

I think that the scenery is much more beautiful in EDI,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

ScottishLaddie

Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:57 am

OOoh and you have to go to the Edinburgh dungeons

They caused a minor uproar recently by putting in a 'Satan's Grotto' Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos