Chrisjdurber
Topic Author

Scary Landing At LHR

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:04 am

HI There whilst preparing for our next hols we looked through our old holiday vids! Something jogged my memory!!

When were on a BA / Qantas codeshare flight(lhr/bkk), on the return we came back on qantas, as we approached heathrow we came in low, the usual, saw the rexervoirs (?) houses and looked like we were about to land then all of a sudden we heard the engines roar and we soared up into the air again circled and then approached again!!! It was very disconcerting!!!!

Does anyone know why this would have been??? It was end sept 2002!!! has anyone any record of this?

petertenthije

RE: Scary Landing At LHR

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:20 am

Just an aborted landing by the sound of it. Usually they do that when the runway is blocked. Happens quite often, in particular at busy airports like LHR. There are standard procedures to do such an aborted take-off so it is not dangerous.
Attamottamotta!

Airplanepics

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:21 am

Could be lots of differernt things.

Aircraft was too fast
Aircraft was too High/Low
Aircraft on the runway. Ect.

Simon
Simon - London-Aviation.com

fbgdavidson

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:43 am

Very common. I've had a few myself and I only fly perhaps 20 times a year

The most fun one was a couple of years back, can't remember from where but I was on the right hand side of the a/c landing on 27R @ LHR. Approach seemed all but normal, saw the long stay car park off to the right and then all of a sudden I heard the nosewheel retracting and the noise increased and we banked round to the right didn't hear much from upstairs for about 5mins after
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey