lmml 14/32

Ryanair Taking Malta Seriously

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:52 pm

Ryanair officials will be visiting Malta in January to explore the possibility of adding Malta to their long list of destinations.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=172560

richardw

RE: Ryanair Taking Malta Seriously

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:13 pm

Most likely a destination for the BGY and CIA bases and not LON, or may be they would do an overnighter from LON.

lmml 14/32

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:46 pm

I have always maintained that STN and DUB are too long for FR. Now that FR will probably be increasing frequencies and destinations from Italy, following the demise of Volare, it is more than likely that they use those new markets to operate to MLA. Italy is a substantial market for MLA, both for business due to its proximity, and leisure especially in the summer months.

I still think that EZ will fly to MLA from Germany this Summer.

BCAL

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:23 pm

I would think that as the flight from STN to MLA would be over 3 hours, this is beyond the usefulness for LCCs as far as the European market is concerned. Passengers would want something by way of service normally unavailable on LCC - be it meal service, IFE or sufficient seat pitch. Go (BA's LCC that demerged from BA following a management buyout and then was taken over by easyJet) tried STN to Tenerife without success. The flight was too long for limited service and it was only possible to do one rotation in a day.

MLA is adequately served by GB Airways and Air Malta from LGW/LHR. Flights on GB Airways are available from £68 one-way. There are also numerous UK charter operators on the route.

Obviously FR must be looking at MLA for its Italian operation.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

planesarecool

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:28 pm

Maybe too long for Ryanair, but you have to bare in mind that easyJet serve Athens from Gatwick and Luton, which i about 4 hours. But yeah, probably something from Bergamo, Ciampino, or maybe even Girona?

-Stephen

diesel1

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm

The point about the length of the flight is valid as around 3 hours seems to be the maximum length considered feasible to operate low cost within the European market - however, I believe that this shouldn't be considered too big an impediment.

A flight from London to Malta is only a shade over 3 hours.

Ryanair already operate to a number of destinationns in Southern Italy - Bari, Brindisi and Palermo. all of these destinations have flights around the 3 hour mark, as do flights like Stockholm Skavsta to Shannon and girona.

In summary, I wouldn't dismiss a London to Malta operation.
I don't like signatures...

richardw

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:15 pm

If they have some long sectors and very short sectors, then this balances out and the average is about 2 hours. Also keeps the number of take offs and landings per airframe per week to a more reasonable number.
Some of those LON-MLA low fares on BA and Air Malta are not available at weekends and do get very expensive as you get close to the departure date.

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:24 pm

'I have always maintained that STN is too long for FR from Malta...'

As had already been stated, some of FR's flights, like STN-PMO, are just slightly less in duration as what STN-MLA would be, so I do not see this as a problem.

'Passengers would want something by way of service normally unavailable on LCC - be it meal service, IFE.'

FR will offer pay-to-view IFE on all its aircraft sometime next year.

'May be they would do an overnighter from LON.'

No chance.

I guess there are quite a few potential destinations from MLA, including STN/LTN, BVA, CRL, GRO, CIA, BGY, destinations in Spain, HHN, and so forth. Actually, there seems to be an awful lot of scope, especially from France, Italy, Germany and the UK.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

lmml 14/32

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:23 pm

All very valid arguments. Then there is the question of landing and handling fees. AirMalta (KM) is, so far, the only ground handling agent at MLA. And AirMalta is battling its own set of problems at present. The last thing it needs is Ryanair operating low cost on KM's major tourist routes.

As from January Globeground/Servisair will start operating in MLA. But the question remains: MLA is still a mainline airport. Who is going to pay the landing fees for FR?

richardw

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 pm

When does Malta join the EU and the Euro?

roblondon70

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:05 pm

They joined..............Last May!!

lmml 14/32

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:35 pm

I wonder how FR officials will travel to MLA. Will they pay the full fare on the other airlines? Or take the bus from PMO to CTA and then take the ferry across the Mediterranean to save a few pounds?

richardw

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:08 pm

Well done to FR for looking at opportunities now that Malta is in the EU, they have got to put the aircraft they have on order somewhere.

adriaticflight

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:08 am

They should take malta seriously.

Passengers would want something by way of service normally unavailable on LCC - be it meal service, IFE or sufficient seat pitch
I am very happy with FR if the price is right. Airlines like Swiss operate long(ish) flights without Meals and make you pay. Malta would make a great FR destination, and they should get in early. Valetta is very beautiful and would have year round attration due to the nice weather even in December.

richardw

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 am

Malta is mainly attractive because its own population want to travel from the island and tourists want to travel to the island, demand at both ends of a flight route is a surefire success.

adriaticflight

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:19 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roberto Benetti
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roberto Benetti

Maybe Ryanair could serve Gozo as Valetta (south)  Big grin

With a runway of 175 meters by 22meters this would be a true Grass strip for Ryanair.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos