himmat01

ILS Localizer Stolen At BOM

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:21 pm

The Times of India has reported that the ILS localizer for rwy 27 at BOM was stolen yesterday. As a result there was a heavy disruption in air traffic at Bombay airport.

I suspect that it's the handiwork of slum dwellers. The approach to rwy 27 is surrounded by slums. It's high time the govt. removes them. Are they waiting for some serious incident? A large number of these slum residents are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. Some of them could be Al Qaeda activists.

An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

pl4nekr4zy

RE: ILS Localizer Stolen At BOM

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:23 pm

That's kinda funny yet scarry at the same time.
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

Flyinround731

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:33 pm

WTF is going on over in India? Crazy state ministers, and stolen ILS!!! Man! Talk about crazy.
-Joe

2H4

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:36 pm

Wonder if they'll try to Ebay it...

Smile

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Newark777

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:37 pm

Must be quite a sight to see, groups of Indians walking around with an ILS localizer.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy As Pl4nekr4zy said, scary, yet incredibly funny.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

APFPilot1985

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:38 pm

How the hell do you stell a localizer?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

acidradio
Crew

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:40 pm

Who exactly do you sell a localizer to? Or are there some spare parts in it that can be used for something else cool (ie. make a remote control car)?
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

N754PR

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:42 pm

In Shenzhen (thats in China!!) they stole a Escalator for a subway station that was due to open next week!!!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

JetMechMD80

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:43 pm

Yes it is scary, and at the same time very funny. What are they going to do with it? LOL And as APFPilot pointed out, how do you sell it? Maybe they are just taking it hostage. Maybe the goverment will get a ransom demand soon.
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

DLKAPA

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:46 pm

Derrrrr

Let's see what happens when we turn on the localizer over here instead of over there  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:47 pm

What do you have to do, nail those things to the ground?

Oh, they already are...  Big grin

Just goes to show that people will steal -anything-
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

APFPilot1985

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:49 pm

beyond selling it how about stealing its, its not as if its a pack of gum
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

wannabe

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:53 pm

Probably some drunk who has a hard time finding his way home.

IndianFlyboy

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:58 pm

The thing is the BOM airport is surrounded by slums as noted above , while you cannot sell a localizer transmitter and probably the guy who stole it doesnt even know what it is , the housing for the transmitter is made of cast iron and the transmitter is made of aluminium (I think) , both of which get high prices if you sell them by weight. What you get is enough for a slum dweller.

All said and done , the Indian media also knows as much about the localizer as the guy who stole it does. Till DGCA or AAI do not give a report on what exactly was stolen it would be pretty pointless speculating.

Regards

AirbusCanada

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:02 pm

<" A large number of these slum residents are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. Some of them could be Al Qaeda activists."

That is just utter racism.

ARE u saying Al-Qaeda went to Bangladesh , recruited and trained some “Terrorists” and sent them back to India to seal a localizer form Bombay. What about 10 million Bengalis in west Bengal? Are they all al-queda trained Terrorists waiting to hijack an aircraft.

India, especially the federal govt make a huge fuss about how illegal immigrants form Bangladesh flooding the streets of Delhi and Bombay. They are arresting every “Bengali speaking” guy form the street with a Muslim name, taking them to the boarder and pointing a gun at their head and telling them to “go back to Bangladesh”. The fact is most of these people are form west Bengal and never been to Bangladesh in their life. This is just major human rights violation and international community should intervene to stop these kinds of behavior form world’s biggest democracy.

There are lots of illegal immigrants form Bangladesh living around the world, but not in India. They are in places where they can make $$$ places like Singapore, Hong-king, Malaysia, EU and USA.

And Al-Qaeda have a lot more activities in India than Bangladesh.

Sorry I didn’t’ want to be political, but those comments are pure racist.

IndianFlyboy

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:46 pm

Airbuscanada,

I doubt this is racism. While I do not believe that migrants are Al Qaeda , there have been a lot of them with other terrorist links. But it is definitely not fair labelling all of them as terrorists.
However the statement you make "India, especially the federal govt make a huge fuss about how illegal immigrants form Bangladesh flooding the streets of Delhi and Bombay. They are arresting every “Bengali speaking” guy form the street with a Muslim name, taking them to the boarder and pointing a gun at their head and telling them to “go back to Bangladesh”. " is completely untrue and absolutely baseless. Please quote sources , dont make anything up from your head.
In 2001 alone there were 250000 (so called refugees) staying in India after jumping the border. About 30,000 of these are in West Bengal called the pipe people because they are staying in unused concrete pipes. These people are being fed , clothed and taken care of by India till repatriation is discussed with the Govt of Bangladesh.

"The fact is most of these people are form west Bengal and never been to Bangladesh in their life
Have you spoken to any one of them ? I doubt it . I have , because my organization sponsors slum children near my office. We take care of their education, their clothing , their food , and guess what, all of them are from Bangladesh , their whole slum to be precise. Approximately 1000 families in all.

"There are lots of illegal immigrants form Bangladesh living around the world, but not in India. They are in places where they can make $$$ places like Singapore, Hong-king, Malaysia, EU and USA."

Who are you talking about ? The educated few ? Do you have any clue about the villagers and those living in rural Bangladesh ?

"And Al-Qaeda have a lot more activities in India than Bangladesh.
Wierd that CIA found links to Al Qaeda in Bangladesh , however nothing in India. So again where did you get this information from.

If you want sources for any of the information quoted above check any of the following links :
news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/ south_asia/newsid_1656000/1656672.stm
news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/ south_asia/newsid_1670000/1670410.stm
www.refugees.org/world/countryrpt/scasia/india.htm
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/2003/05/25/stories/2003052503291000.htm

Please note that the figures mentioned in the above links are 2002 figures alone.....

Regards

jasepl

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:54 pm

There are hundreds of thousands - perhaps even millions - of Bangladeshis living illegally in India. Yes, it's certainly true that's there's more '$$$' to be made in 'places like Singapore, Hong-king, Malaysia, EU and USA' but they will still probably do better in India than back home.

This brilliant statement though made me laugh so hard, I nearly fell off the chair: 'Some of them could be Al Qaeda activists'

AirCascadia

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:22 pm

it seems weird localizer in north america have alarms that go off if your 60m from the rear and sides ,cant remember in front of it what the distance is ,I would have to look up in the Tp312 for canada ,but even when other side of runway is active its still always on,unless there doing repairs on it.

TWAMD-80

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm

I am still wondering just exactly how this fella managed to steal a localizer antenna. They are pretty damn big. Maybe he brought in a flat bed trailer or something  Confused It would be interesting to see how the guy is going to hide the antenna from sight too. Some people....

TW
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

ZKSUJ

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:29 pm

I can't stop laughing. I can just picture some guy with a localizer on his back running for it. What does a localizer look like and how big is it?

mrniji

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:57 pm

There are lots of illegal immigrants form Bangladesh living around the world, but not in India

Oh, there is. In fact, India is one of the country with the most refugees and so-called illegal immigrants (to be honest, I have an alternative approach of seeing things, I do not see any person as being illegal anywhere, but whatsoever)

Roy, Airbuscanada, I think your misunderstanding can be solved easily... c'mon guys
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

IndianGuy

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:25 pm

Subin: I think you have your wires crossed. THE Roy is answering just NOW!!  Laugh out loud

AS for the whole crap about Bangladeshis and all zat: Does anyone know yet whether it was indeed a slum dweller who stole the instrument? Even if it was, how can anyone stretch that to make it a "MUslim" or a "Bangladeshi"? Seriosuly, some guys are worse than LK Advani!! Advani is a f***ing pakistani (He did come here from Pakistan!!) with a tendency to mischief. Whats Himmats excuse?

-Roy

mrniji

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:26 pm

Subin: I think you have your wires crossed. THE Roy is answering just NOW!!

Apology, I read Indianflyboy as Indianguy.. maybe something habitual I did  Big thumbs up (just kidding, Mr Skaria)
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

corey07850

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 am

For those who don't know what they look like: (This one is a bit taller than the average ones)

I have a feeling he didn't take the WHOLE localizer... probably just took a piece off of it

Boeing7E7

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:01 am

Or perhaps they took the control box and left the antenna. That's a lot of crap to move.

AirbusCanada

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:50 am

Indianflyboy

None of BBC links u provided works.
the world refugee board figures shows about 5-20K Bangladeshi refugees living in india. And i did not did not check the hindu link becasue it not a reliable source since it run by religious fundamantalist.

lh477

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:55 am

I seriously doubt some slum dwellers could have stollen this....
The hindu last time I checked is a national english newpaper, not some hindu fundamentalist newspaper....
The accusation about Al Qaeda activists is not very credible. You seem to
be sterotyping muslims and bangledeshi's....
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

airbusfanyyz

Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:35 am

"Some of them could be Al Qaeda activists."

What utter ignorance and general fear-mongering!  Angry

Kaz

FlyingColours

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:17 am

First thing I thought of was that classic "Only Fools & Horses" episode where they got hold of an ILS system beliving it to be a satilite reciever, quite comical for a programme but very daunting for reality.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

deltadude

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:30 am

AirbusCanada and AirbusfanYYZ probably think it's Continential fault that that Concorde went down.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Besides, what does a Canadian REALLY know about illegal immagration? Canada doesn't share a border with Mexico...or any 3rd world country for that matter....

[Edited 2004-12-16 22:31:50]

Yazoo

Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:30 am

Not only do I hear that Localizers are being stolen but also that there is Illegal Immigrants in India! well well well, waddaya know! Big grin Big grin Big grin
Purple Pride!

manu

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:48 am

Deltadude,

I think you're poking at a fight here. Canada's culture is one of immigration. Please don't make this about policy and stick to the subject.

There are obviously facts missing, because I don't see how someone can steal an entire array like the one pictured. Either it is not what was stolen, or a part of it (as was suggested) and the media has taken it out of context.

AirCascadia

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:20 pm

I cant help myself!

"Besides, what does a Canadian REALLY know about illegal immagration? Canada doesn't share a border with Mexico...or any 3rd world country for that matter...."

Hmm illegals only walk ,no boat people here,hmm cant fly either,
I thought the States blamed us for all the illegals .Deltadude you need to inform Bush about this or whoever is becoming in charge of homeland security,Ok I'm leaving this alone now ,I just couldnt resist

StowAway

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:27 pm

YAY! I hope that was my wife Christmas shopping for me! How cool would that be in the back yard? The neighbors might mind....

Joel @ BNA
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

ILSApproach

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:22 pm

It was me............. Smokin cool

TKMCE

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:13 pm

Ok, jokes aside, the fact remains that it WAS stolen abd flights were getting delayeds like anything, even two days afterwards. I should know, my Jet flighjts to Hyderabd which was due to take off at 1815 yesterday was rescheduled to 2000 and pushed off at 2030. The flight operates GOI-BOM-HYD and as I understand the ATC at BOM didnt give clearance for the flight to take off from GOI itself due to the congestion due the non avaiabilty of localiser. A lot of other flights were delayed as well although surprisingly all the DEL flights left on time (may be because with the DEL weather being whatit is , they didnt want to compound issues there as well).

AirbusCanada

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:17 pm

"AirbusCanada and AirbusfanYYZ probably think it's Continential fault that that Concorde went down.

Besides, what does a Canadian REALLY know about illegal immagration? Canada doesn't share a border with Mexico...or any 3rd world country for that matter...."

I really don’t care about what caused the Concorde accident!!!!

Don’t' get fool by the name,
I lived in Bangladesh, been to India and Pakistan. Have U?

Last time I checked Mexican Immigrants go to USA, not CUBA or Gutemala .
Just like Bangladeshi immigrants go to middle-east and south east asia not India.
There is some Bangladeshi workers in Delhi and Bombay, not the 20 million figure that India is claiming. Anyway, here are some links if anyone is interested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2638297.stm
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0304/p07s01-wosc.html
http://www.sacw.net/i_aii/Report.html

[Edited 2004-12-17 07:26:59]

BOEING787

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:54 pm

Guess what - a length of cable from the fire station has been pinched too! Just herad it from a source in AAI! They suspect it's the same guy!

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:36 pm

Airbuscanada......You got your facts all wrong mate.Especially about pointing gun to head & cross border stuff,where did you hear this from  Smile

Secondly....I work at the Airport.The Entire Localizer was not Stolen,but a part of it,rendering it ineffecive,prompting Rnwy 09 landings.Thus the huge delays.
Our Aircrafts normally pushback on Taxi track 'D' which is blocked due a Que of traffic leading to delays from 30mins - 2 hrs.

About the culprit,I would not blame the Slum Dwellers only.But the suspicion can be pointed to them.However just seeing the Amount of work currently on in the Mumbai Airport [I took a tour of the Entire Airport on Thu looking for the AI B777] there were number of Casual workers totalling between 45-50 working at all places in the Airfield,It could even be them.

About the Material although you guys say Aluminium,I would say Copper too Smile

The replacement part was to be in place last night.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

BOEING787

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:48 pm

Hi Hawk,

Is it true that there was no power for a while at the Fire station because of the stolen cable?

What the hell is going on?

Funny and Scary!

AirbusCanada

Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:23 am

So what kind of security bombay airport have?
Isn't the airport is also used by the indian Airforce?

Airbuscanada......You got your facts all wrong mate.Especially about pointing gun to head & cross border stuff,where did you hear this from

here is a link for u HAWK21M,
http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/exec/view.cgi/10/6263