UnitedTristar
Topic Author

United Begins Major Latin Expansion Today!

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:19 am

PlaneGuy27

RE: United Begins Major Latin Expansion Today!

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:28 am

I didn't know that Aruba was in the British West Indies?

Someone in PR at United messed up!

Byrdluvs747

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:39 am

I'm afraid your topic title is a little bit of an exaggeration. I wouldn't call Mexico and Costa Rica a major latin expansion.

Notice how UA isn't adding any S. American routes.

This is good news for AA flyers as well.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

regupilot

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:44 am

To continue with the same services and frecuency is to have a major expansion at SJU? Everything remains the same in SJU. I think they're expanding somewhere else.

-Cheers!

AA787

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:50 am

Why is this good for us AA fans?

AA787
ET In NYC

CRPilot

Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:28 am

Curious how this will affect the competition, more specifically the fare structure from carriers such TA, CO, and AA to the area. I'm sure UA will play with the fares as it tries to expand service.
Flying is a privilege!

sebwhite

Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:54 am

PlaneGuy27: That's what I said, so I called United's media office when the release was issued. They thanked me and said they'd look into whether or not Aruba is really in the British West Indies!

TonyBurr

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:11 am

It is unfortunate that UA cut a great deal of it's Latin American routes - SCL, LIM. They had no north/south connections and lost out on the whole east coast of the US. Now with US in Star they could have had a great hub through Miami, but they have done nothing!

bahadir

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:15 am

Why to go to MIA and compete with AA instead of using ORD or IAD for service to Latin America? I think what they missed on was lotsa Mexico service with Skywest ala CoEX style MExico ops from LAX. That could have been a winner.
Earthbound misfit I

mariner

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:20 am

If they had called Aruba "the Dutch West Indies" they would still be wrong, but they would be somewhat closer to the historical truth.

Aruba has strong ties with the Netherlands, but it has been an independent nation for a long time.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

SegmentKing

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:48 am

Dutch west indies? *lol*

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:20 pm

Before the Europeans wake up and correct us Americans:

Aruba has strong ties with the Netherlands, but it has been an independent nation for a long time.

Aruba seceded from the Netherlands Antilles in 1986 and is a separate, autonomous member of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but it is not an independent nation.

Dutch west indies? *lol*

All of the islands in the Caribbean Sea are in the "West Indies" (see Columbus).  Smile

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

Aircellist

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:02 pm

"Before the Europeans wake up and correct us Americans:"

Delicious!

Good morning everybody  Big grin

Nicolas
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

jmc1975

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:24 pm

Doesn't it seem that every airline does a major Carribean expansion just prior to going under?

mauriceb

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:28 pm

If they had called Aruba "the Dutch West Indies" they would still be wrong, but they would be somewhat closer to the historical truth

nah, it was called the Dutch West indies since We also had East-indies. Aruba is independent for a while now, however the army that operate there is the dutch army and a lot of rulez are just like here, its also very much possible that Aruba will be added again to Holland.

sorry fore the litle off-topic  Wink/being sarcastic

usatoeze

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:39 am

Doesn't it seem that every airline does a major Carribean expansion just prior to going under?

YES

Eastern comes to mind..
War is a very poor political tool

thunder9

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:29 am

Mauriceb --

You said: "however the army that operate there is the dutch army and a lot of rulez are just like here"

You forgot to mention that just about the only beer available in Aruba is either Hieneken or Amstel Light. Not much choice for the consumer...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-J
"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

SegmentKing

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:38 am

Isn't Papayamente or something the official language though... like creole meets dutch meets english?

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

masseybrown

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:56 am

Queen Beatrix knighted some US-Aruban baseball players a couple years ago; one of my favorite pitchers is now Sir Sidney Ponson. Obviously relations are very close between Aruba and the Netherlands - is it like the old British Commonwealth?

I apologise for getting so off topic here, but I thought Aruba was still a colony, too.

mariner

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:00 am

Ooops! I thought Aruba had "nation status" in the same way that the Netherlands Antilles does - although that may change, too:

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/2004/10/11/status.htm

Obviously, I was wrong!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

FLY2LIM

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:09 am

First, the starter of the thread is guilty of sensationalism. Give me a break! This "major expansion" doesn't even really get into Latin America. Yes, Mexico is Latin America, but one usually assumes it includes South America as well.

Isn't Papayamente or something the official language though... like creole meets dutch meets english?

The language is Papiamento (no "papaya" in the name) and it also includes Spanish. Every Aruban citizen I made contact with had working knowledge of Papiamento, Dutch, English, and Spanish. It was incredible. As a language teacher, I was humbled. It shows me that people can learn languages if they want (or need to).

You forgot to mention that just about the only beer available in Aruba is either Hieneken or Amstel Light. Not much choice for the consumer...

I would disagree with the statement. There is a local beer, called Balashi, that was super. You could also get other beers, although the Dutch presence is, indeed, major.

It's inconceivable that the PR dept. at a major corporation has no clue that Aruba has no connection to the British Empire. And you wonder why they are not doing well.

Can't wait to get back to AUA, but I won't be a part of United's "major Latin Expansion". My bird will be painted silver.
FLY2LIM

Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.