1stspotter
Topic Author

Which US President Flew On Commercial Flight?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:59 am

Hi,

For a quiz I am looking for an answer to the following question.

Only one sitting US president has ever travelled by a regularly
scheduled commercial airline flight. Who and when?

Who knows the answer?
Marcel

DfwRevolution

RE: Which US President Flew On Commercial Flight?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:04 am

Probably Jimmy Carter to save energy dollars  Big grin

StevenUhl777

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:09 am

I believe it was President Nixon, who flew on a United DC-10, in 1972.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

shankly

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:12 am

It was Richard Nixon, who on 26 December 1973 flew United DC-10 N1805U operating flight UA55 to LAX
L1011 - P F M

JetRanger2000

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:12 am

I also think it was Nixon, on a United flight. I also seem to remember it was a flight to Nevada, but I am not sure.

1stspotter
Topic Author

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:17 am

Many thanks for the quick reply!! I searched the internet for quite some time but could not find the answer.

Blackbird1331

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:18 am

FDR on a flight to a meeting with the big three at Yalta.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

contrails

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:22 am

President Nixon's flight was indeed IAD-LAX. He was trying to demonstrate the importance of saving energy. He had AF1 fly out empty to pick him up, wasting a lot more energy than he would have if he had taken AF1 to begin with.

President Franklin Roosevelt made at least one flight on a Pan Am Clipper. I'm pretty certain that he went to North Africa to meet with Winston Churchill during WWII. He may have made other flights as well.

Flying Colors Forever!

supa7E7

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:18 am

Clinton allegedly flew on a US Shuttle flight... but he and entourage were the only passengers.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

AMS

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:23 am

Clinton also flew Delta between Little Rock and Atlanta at some point.

Regards,
AMS

Cory6188

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:21 am

If Clinton and his entourage were the only pax, it kind of defeats the purpose of him flying on a regularly scheduled flight to begin with.

afay1

Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Roosevelt's flights were not regularly scheduled however....

dbo861

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:14 pm

So if the President were to fly on a regularly scheduled flight, would he have to go through security like all the other passengers. Also, if the president flies to another country in Air Force One, does he have to go through customs, and have a passport with him?

afay1

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:19 pm

Heads of state do not have passports, nor likely do other high officials. They land at military bases or at regular airports and go to a VIP zone. The rest have diplomatic passports and go through the diplomatic line at security or to the head of any line if there is no special one. Children of diplomats often carry diplomatic passports as well as the spouse, but they are usually "attached" to whomever is the diplomat. This can create a boatload of problems at immigration if the child is traveling alone, or even if it is the spouse without the diplomat.......

trident3

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:55 pm

However if they are flying on a scheduled flight they still have to be checked in and issued with a boarding card. Iremember seeing an episode of Airport that showed what happened when the Queen travelled to New Zealand on an Air New Zealand scheduled flight. The station manager went to a check in desk and processed details for them and produced boarding cards and tickets for Mr & Mrs Windsor travelling in seats 1a & 1b . He explained that they had to use that title as the system would not accept Her Majesty as a title!
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

jonty

Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:48 am

does the queen have a passport or since she is head of state of Newzeland does she not need one?

PilotGirl

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:03 am

The Queen checks in (on Air NZ) as Mrs Weir I believe, not Mrs Windsor. Not sure why they selected that particular fake name.

dcbat2072

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 am

Bill Clinton does take the USAirways Shuttle, but only as a former President. He always traveled on Air Force One as President.

Spark

Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:09 am

Afay1
"Children of diplomats often carry diplomatic passports as well as the spouse, but they are usually "attached" to whomever is the diplomat. This can create a boatload of problems at immigration if the child is traveling alone, or even if it is the spouse without the diplomat....."
Not that this has anything to do with the subject, but dependents of Diplomats do have their own diplomatic (BLACK in USA) passports, which are valid while they are in the Diplomatic service. They also have diplomatic immunity, and aren't supposed to be searched by customs.
From what I've heard from my friends who were diplomats, most countries are pretty good about following this (if you travel with someone with a black passport you tend to fly through customs). However I had a friend who had a Chilean Diplomatic Passport and US Customs didn't seem to understand the protocol.

alberchico

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:00 am

Nixon flew on a United Airlines Dc-10 on December 26,1973 as part to show the administrations side on the the energy crisis that was happening at the time.Also to help his tarnished image after watergate .The plane that he flew on was eventually scrapped.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

supa7E7

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:19 am

Hi DCbat, thank you for your input regarding Clinton and the Shuttle flight. I am so happy you have an opinion in this matter. However, in fact Clinton *did* ride the Shuttle while in office, and its call sign was AF1 during that flight. Have a nice day.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

aeroc

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:52 am

I have a question and sorry if this was already mentioned, but if the current president was Nixon as some of you are saying, that flew on a UA DC10 from IAD-LAX flight55. In fact any plane the current president is on becomes AF1 right, so would that still count as a regularly scheduled flight because the flight would not be allowed to have the United flight number but would have to be called AF1?

bobnwa

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:27 am

It would not become AF1 because it is not an Air Force aircraft. When he flies the helicopter it is Marine 1. It might be called commercial 1, but I don't know.

Tango-Bravo

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:53 am

President Nixon's flight was indeed IAD-LAX. He was trying to demonstrate the importance of saving energy. He had AF1 fly out empty to pick him up, wasting a lot more energy than he would have if he had taken AF1 to begin with.

Thank you for pointing out this fact of which I had not previously been aware. I rather well recall watching the big story the evening network news shows made of the event on the day it happened.

It always seemed, to me, that President Nixon's transcon flight on United was nothing more than typical opportunistic photo op and definitely all about style and nothing about substance. (i.e. giving an appearance of saving energy but in reality doing nothing at all to conserve energy). My suspicion has finally been confirmed. And for all these years, my question "how did he return to Washington DC?" had remained unanswered -- it has finally been answered, even though my question has been "out of sight out of mind" for about 30.9 years of the 31 years that have passed since Nixon's highly publicized flight on United.

liquid

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:10 am

"In fact any plane the current president is on becomes AF1 right, so would that still count as a regularly scheduled flight because the flight would not be allowed to have the United flight number but would have to be called AF1?"

"It would not become AF1 because it is not an Air Force aircraft. When he flies the helicopter it is Marine 1. It might be called commercial 1, but I don't know."

Any non military aircraft with the President on it is called "Civilian One". The flight would still be a regularily scheduled flight with the same flight number, the CALLSIGN is "civilian one" not the flight number, those are very different.
-Liquid

perspicax

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:16 am

It would not become AF1 because it is not an Air Force aircraft. When he flies the helicopter it is Marine 1. It might be called commercial 1, but I don't know.

I believe that the aircraft call sign would be Executive One, unless the Secret Service decided for security reasons to have the airline use the regular call sign instead, so as not to advertise the President's presence on a regular commercial flight.

Or Civilian One, as the above poster suggests.

The President is not very likely to take a commercial flight, anyway. Even 30 years ago, it was a one-off publicity stunt. See Airways Magazine, August 2004, pages 53-55 for more information on President Nixon's flight on United in December 1972. Alas, the article doesn't state what the aircraft's call sign was.

*Edited to add info on magazine article

[Edited 2004-12-19 22:23:35]

BostonGuy

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:42 am

Queen Elizabeth does not have a passport.

"As a British Passport is issued in the name of Her Majesty, it is unnecessary for The Queen to possess one. All other members of the Royal family, including The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales, have passports.

In realms (i.e. Commonwealth countries where The Queen is Sovereign), a similar formula is used, except that the request to all whom it may concern is made in the name of the realm's Governor-General, as The Queen's representative in that realm."

airsicknessbag

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:47 am

>>>Clinton allegedly flew on a US Shuttle flight... but he and entourage were the only passengers.

Nope, it was Al Gore, while being sitting Vice President - giving that particular flight the callsign Executive 2:

On February 2, 2000, a bill that would stop abortion protesters from being able to avoid paying fines by filing for bankruptcy was on the Senate agenda. Very shortly before the actual vote, it became clear that there might be a tie, requiring the Vice President to cast the tie breaker. Apparently, the USAirways Shuttle was the fastest way to get from NYC to WAS asap.

Btw, a couple of Republicans voted for the bill in order to prevent Al Gore from getting the press coverage which might have helped him in the election race.

On the Nixon flight: In order to promote the recently introduced 55 mph speed limit, Executive 1 cruised at a lower than normal speed - which resulted in more fuel burn. Great example for a political ploy backfiring.

>>>Heads of state do not have passports, nor likely do other high officials.

This is not correct. Recently, there was media coverage of German Chancellor Schroeder having trouble getting into Lybia because of a lack of visa. On a state visit, no less...

Daniel Smile

zonky

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 pm

Schroder is the head of government, not state, but i presume you refer to him as 'high official(s)'.

FLY777UAL

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:31 pm

Funny enough, my mom has a gold pen, signed by and given to her from President Nixon, after working that flight. Sitting in a random brown case doing nothing with the rest of the crip crap she's kept over the years.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L