vs773er

Tales Of Pilots Enjoying Themselves...

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:11 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any stories of commercial pilots having fun on short haul flights, ferry flights, empty flights or final flights etc etc.

Nothing to get anyone in trouble, just some fun tails of what it must be like to have the opportunity to make the most of being a pilot!!!! (Fast take-offs, steap climbs, tight banks, aerobatics!!!!!???)

Cheers. Dan.
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

ZKSUJ

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:14 pm

I would imagine that cargo guys have all the fun they want without too much to worry about. I have seen some steep climbs at the airport so it does happen, although I do not think it is for fun but probably for other reasons like gaining altitude quicker etc...

IL76TD

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:16 pm

I know of a company that had 2 cargo flights depart almost simultaneously for a common destination that pretty much had a race the whole way there. Apparently the fuel burn was pretty high for the route.

lamedianaranja

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:03 pm

Tail... is that the thing they tuck between their legs and you can see the tip at the front of their trousers?
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

mdsh00

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:09 pm

Tails? Of Pilots enjoying themselves? Sounds like they're doing something kinky in that cockpit.  Big grin
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

vs773er

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:11 pm

u seyyng i carn't spel?

dca727fan

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:56 pm

Not so much a tale of pilots having fun as doing something nice for the passengers. A few years ago I did a F100 hop on USAir from BUF-DCA. It was a beautiful winter day, and as we lined up to depart the pilot announced that we were going to do a detour up to Niagara Falls. We climbed up a few thousand feet, and then did two large banking turns over the falls, one to the right and one to the left to turn back south.

A special thanks to our friends at USAir.

NWADC9

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:10 am

One time, a pilot on NWA was talkin' about all the technical features of our DC-9-50, EVEN GIVING OUT THE RUNWAY WE WERE LANDING ON IN MCI!!!!!! Note that this was AFTER 9/11 Big grin

Also, some like to play "tour guide" Big grin

Slightly off topic, but on ferry flights, the F/A's would occasionally get out the carts and trays and position them in the alley and ride them down the aisle on takeoff Laugh out loud
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

stall

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:31 am

A few years ago in Switzerland a Dornier 328 (from Air Engadina) performed a roll on a post check flight (obviously with no passenger on board). The pilots didn't say anything about this but maintenance personnel somewhere discovered it when they reviewed flight data. Actually no stress was put on the airframe, its seemed the roll was very well executed.
I don't remember what happened to the crew (they probably were fired)
Flying is fun

BIGBlack

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:34 am

I saw a very very nice UA pilot go out of his way for a pax that was DEATHLY afraid of flying. Crying, shaking, sick, before we even took off. Post 9/11 he brought her up to the cockpit and really talked to her about how much flying was safe and what it meant for him. It is pretty cool. I can tell he enjoyed his job cause the passion. He kept having the F/A check on her. It was nice to see.
Someone special in the air

ConcordeBoy

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:45 am

And here I thought this was gonna be another masterbation post....  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

DfwRevolution

RE: Tails Of Pilots Enjoying Themselves...

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:56 am

And here I thought this was gonna be another masterbation post....

Yeah... I was waitin for it  Big grin

airportugal310

RE: Tales Of Pilots Enjoying Themselves...

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:34 am

I watched a Song 757 do the most sick ass climb out of BOS on a ferry flight after a hurricane down south, and all I could do was just watch as that thing went practically vertical.

You know what I mean. It was awesome. Used almost none of 15R for takeoff too.  Nuts

Bruno
BOS
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Planesmart

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:22 am

New Zealand had a pilot legend in Capt Fred Ladd. There is a book abt him called Up and Away.

He flew a plane under the Auckland Harbour bridge, which got him suspended from flying for a few mths.

In the 60's he flew Grumman seaplanes. If there were overseas tourists on board (the locals knew what he did), he would board wearing dark glasses and white cane, and sit with the passengers. After a while, he would loudly state lets give the pilot a few more minutes, but if he doesn't turn up i'll fly the plane. He would then proceed to fumble his way down to the cockpit, fiddle with the controls, eventually getting both engines running. They had to have ground crew on hand outside to return passengers to their seats.

I also recall flying back from Great Barrier Island to Auckland in the early 80's on a Grumman seaplane. The pilot said it was his last flight with the company, as he was heading overseas, and there would be a few detours, which included flying around TV/radio masts and the islands on the way.

MATTHEWKH

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:59 am

On Dash 8 prop balances in the middle of the night, sometimes the pilots would have fun and pull some zero-g maneuvers. I never got to go up myself, but a few of my co-workers have and they had a blast. Sometimes, before they got everybody on board the pilots would place cups of water in the seat pockets of a seat they knew somebody was going to sit in, and when they went zero-g the water would come up and get the mechanic wet. Good times.
God I love the smell of avgas in the morning!!!

United_fan

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 am

NWADC9,I had the same experience on a UA 757 SNA-ORD last Dec. The Capt was very informative. Gave runway legnths/altitudes and fuel-burns for the whole trip . He also explained all about flow control into ORD after a know-it-all passenger called someone in Chicago and learned that the weather wasn't bad there.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Starlionblue

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:31 am

One Scandi pilot who did a lot of charters was famous among F/As. He would take off from ARN, then get on the PA and say something like: "Just to give you an idea of your surroundings... on the left is the sausage stand in Upplands Väsby". Then he would wait a couple of seconds and suddenly roll the plane left, then yell in a worried voice: "Don't everybody look at once!"
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

vs773er

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:00 am

The test pilots at air shows, when showing off the latest commercial birds, seem to really push the limits (SA B744 & A346 @ Farnborough this year!), just wondered if these where only limited to air shows?

AA717driver

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:00 am

Not that I was ever involved in this but...

A certain commuter in Iowa flying E110's in the mid-80's used to have two flights departing from DBQ for CID about 5 min. apart. The second one would usually be empty. Occasionally, the first would be empty, too.

Sometimes they flew formation, sometimes the second would climb to 10,000' and make a pass on the first plane and one of the ticket agent's houses got buzzed frequently. Big grin

Only rumor, of course...TC

P.S.--I'm not even going into the sex in the lower galley of the L10... Big grin
FL450, M.85

DABZF

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:10 am

I saw this travelling on cockpit jumpseat on B74F few years back...
After reaching the cruising altitude the captain took his laptop from his bag and started to fly a cesna on a MS Flight Simulator - there we were cruising on a fully loaded B74F and this guy wanted to fly his cesna instead  Smile

He said he loves flying... and added that commercial flying is sometimes pretty booring... go figure!?  Big thumbs up

He let me to fly as well... and I landed the B747 to FRA (our final destination) nice and smoothly - ok it was with the Flight Simulator  Big grin
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

lmml 14/32

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:53 am

This is on regular live flights. One pilot had this habit of "shooting down" other aircraft flying in the opposite direction by switching on the stick shaker on our B732. This sounded like a gatling gun firing rounds. I will never forget the look on a 10 year old boy who was visiting the cockpit (pre 9/11 of course) when this pilot "shot" a plane down to entertain him!

zvezda

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:33 am

Test pilots don't have to wait for airshows to have a little fun. I participated in the acceptance flight testing and delivery of an A319. I was in the left cockpit jumpseat when we did 60 degree turns, -1g and +2.5g. ATC assigned us all the airspace from FL200 to FL300 in a triangular area over the North Sea and told us to "Have fun!" This was routine for them.  Smile

Av8

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:52 am

At the fairly decent-sized un-towered airport I work line service at, I frequently see pilots from a freight company in an old, dirty Lear 23 do some absolutley amazing climbs. I saw them once do something they peobably would've gotten violated for: They spooled up the engines (extremely loud engines, too, almost like a flighter jet), released the brake and lifted off in what seemed about 1000 feet. They then proceeded to remain fairly level, retracted the gear and let the speed build. I bet they were 5000 feet down the runway going almost 250 and I then saw a Lear do a climb that I didn't think was possible for something other than a fighter to do. I mean, probably 70-80º nose up and just ROCKETING. It was cool, nonetheless.

cedarjet

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:15 am

A friend of mine was an MEA flight engineer on 707s from the late 60s to the late 80s. Boy oh boy does this guy have some stories - horrible experiences like being shot at on take off and / or approach, or being in the middle of a hijack on the ground in Beirut, popping all the doors and slides to get the passengers off when a fucking massive fight breaks out in the suburb next to the airport with RPGs hitting the tarmac around them so they start engines and takeoff with the doors open, slides out, half the passengers still onboard, and fly to Cyprus (40mins) at 5,000 feet. Defeaning.

One really funny mental image is the tale (tail? ho ho) of how they had to do the "Cockpit Smoke Evacuation" checklist [evacuation referring to the removal of the smoke, not the occupants] because all three (or four) cockpit crew would be smoking cigars, and the smoke was so heavy that it was impossible to see, and the flight engineer would have to run a checklist and open outflow valves and god knows what else. This sits comfortably, by the way, with everything I know about the Lebanese national character.

On the good side, barrel rolling 707s on delivery flights, airtests, training missions etc. This happened all the time in the early days, since Tex Johnson (Johnston?) rolled the 367 for the cameras at the Seattle World's Fair in the late 50s. MEA (among many others) used to do it on test flights. Now that's pilots enjoying themselves, it's the 60s and you're barrel rolling 707s in the sunshine over the Mediteranean after smoking a few Cuban cigars. It stopped after Lufthansa had a 707 (or a 720B) blow up halfway through a second roll on a training flight. If I recall, the maneouvre was badly executed (the aircraft has to be allowed to fall naturally as it banks, which makes the whole thing a 1G maneouvre; handled poorly, the G forces can destroy the aircraft very quickly, even a 707, "the plane that can do everything but read"). Fleet managers (who were doing it just like everyone else until then) had to call a halt.

Even on more sedate delivery flights, pilots used to (and maybe still) do cool stuff, I read a really old book about jets ("behind the scenes in the jet age!!!") called Loud And Clear by Robert J Serling (yep, Twilight Zone relation)which should be compulsory reading for anyone who loves aviation (like Fate Is The Hunter, well, almost) - go to eBay and find both of these. In Loud And Clear, the author flies in the jumpseat of a brand-new Northwest 727-100 from Seattle to Minneapolis, and they buzz the captain's (remote and tiny) hometown at a few thousand feet (which would be mental, some desert town in South Dakota and a 727-100 roars down the main street - this is 1967 remember...what the faaaaark was that?).

Speaking of Lebanon, my last "jumpseat" ride (end of Aug, 2001), I was on a Malev 737 from Budapest to Beirut and a newhire cabin crew wanted the jumpseat for landing (her first trip into BEY) so the captain said I could just stand behind him ("brace your right hand against my seat for when we use reverse thrust"), which was amazing, definitely my best jumpseat ride ever. I was leaving behind the most horrific breakup with the love of my life in London, so to have such a great experience was proof of something good in the universe. Beirut is as interesting as Kai Tak with the high rises and high ground on the approach so it was a good place for it to happen. We swooped in through a valley in the highrises and made a perfect landing, nice work Malev and definitely a captain enjoying himself.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

xjramper

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:26 am

One that I can think of right off the top of my head:

I was on a mesaba flight from tol to dtw, on my way to den, where I was the only pax onboard. We had light fuel and the weather was great. I still worked for NW at the time, but I was still a paying pax. The crew knew this and they were talking over the intercom the entire time. We did a high perf takeoff (shortfield takeoff) on 25. We were in the air after a few seconds of ground roll, did a steep bank after clearing the field, and made it into pattern in dtw in about 7 mins. The pilots started singing leaving on a jet plane and then did their rendition(which was not half bad) of friends in "high" places and lean on me. It was a great flight and put me out of my previous bitter mood.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

NWADC9

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:30 am

What is it with pilots and "I'm Leavin' on a Jet Plane"? Big grin
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

ANCFlyer

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:26 am

If we're not restricted to civilian pilots I can tell you about a ride from Dillingham to Anchorage on a UV-18 (DHC-6 Twin Otter) about 1995. We left DLG enroute to FRN IFR. There were lots of clouds. I sat right behind the cockpit and had a headset. They two fellas driving talked about hunting the entire time we were IFR. We broke through to clear skies over Cook inlet south of Anchorage and they cancelled their IFR flight plan and went VFR. At that point these two clowns put the Otter on the deck and followed the coastline spotting wildlife. Turning and banking the plane so they could spot what ever happened to be on the beach. The PIC was also a Captain for the now defunct (Good riddance) MarkAir. I remember him saying he wished he could do the same thing with his 732. I thought, holy sh!t, remind me not get on a 732 with him driving! They flew this way - N-O-E pretty much - until they closer to Anchorage and then they straightened out and flew on in to FRN. Got a few folks in the back of the plane a little airsick. We did see a lot of wildlife tho. I wonder if they ever went back to hunt any of it?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Type-Rated

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:02 pm

Facutal Corrections:

The barrel roll that Tex Johnston did in the 707 prototype was near a golf course where Bill Allen was playing golf with other airline execs. It freaked him out and told Tex not to do that anymore as all the finances of Boeing were riding on that airplane.
The Seattle Worlds Fair was in 1962. The barrell roll was done a few years before that.
The 707 that crashed while doing a barrel roll was a BN 707-227, the fastest 707 ever built. It was on a delivery flight and when the crew tried to barrel roll it, they didn't do it quite right and slung the engines off a wing starting a massive fire. All perished in that one.
I may be wrong, but I never heard of the 707 being called the 367. (??)
CedarJet, are you sure about all this stuff? You usually are very accurate with your postings?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

boo25

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:25 pm

When the 737-400 was introduced in 1989/1990 we had a crew of 50 based in Bristol UK with a brand new 734...
We used to position an aircraft from Bristol to Cardiff once a week , then operate to Spain.
We would then bring it back empty later that day.
This carried on for 6 months during a very long hot summer.

The distance can only be 40-50 miles i guess.

Between some of the pilots there was a covert competition for some of these trips!
The cabin crew would bet on the results. Big grin

On the way over , the competition was who could fly the lowest and fastest to Cardiff, ATC allowing!
On the return sector , it was who could stop the fastest on the runway at Bristol!
The tower must have wondered if our 737-400 had been converted to STOL, it stops damn quick if you need it to!

Starlionblue

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:39 pm

I may be wrong, but I never heard of the 707 being called the 367

The one rolled by Tex was not really a 707, but rather Boeing Model 367-80 ("Dash 80") which was the prototype for both Boeing Models 707 and (the original) 717. This latter is more widely known as C-135/KC-135. The 367-80 differs from the 707 and 717 in many ways, among others fuse diameter.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ba97

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:41 pm

In the mid 1980s flying into Pittsburg from Toronto on some very very small 2 engine prop plane with US air I think. We were flying just above the cloud tops. The pilot pulled the curtain back and said to the 5 of us, " I think there is an airport down there, let's go check". And we promptly went into a steep semi corkscrew through the clouds. YEEE HAAA
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

nycfuturepilot

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 pm

A friend of mine was flying on an AirNet Lear Jet and one of the pilots went to sleep on the floor in the back so my friend was sitting in the right seat and the pilot was sitting in the left seat and the pilot told him to strap in. Once he strapped in the pilot flipped the plane over sending the sleeping pilot in the back to the ceiling of the plane. After some screaming the pilot in the back fell back asleep and the other pilot let my friend flip the plane over to piss the pilot off again. Sounded really funny.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

jfkaua

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 pm

Doesn't flipping a plane over screw the fuel system up?

Type-Rated

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:11 pm

Starlionblue

Thanks, I learned something new. I knew the prototype was called the "Dash 80" (which is now at the Smithsonian), but I never knew it was the 367-80.

2H4

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:14 pm

I've heard a story involving a Learjet charter flight out of Las Vegas. Apparently, the flight crew had to pick up several folks who had been partying hard and had no intention of stopping the party in the plane.

The passengers were being very obnoxious and very loud....so loud it was interfering with the duties of the flight crew. The noise level caused the pilots to miss a radio call or two. Ever resourceful, if not legal, the pilots donned their oxygen masks and made a slight adjustment to the cabin pressure.

The partiers slept like babies all the way to the destination.

Smile

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Type-Rated

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:18 pm

2H4:

I think I know the pilot who did that on the LearJet. It happened quite some time ago!

2H4

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:21 pm

Ha! Small world, Type-rated!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

BryanG

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:40 pm

Great thread:

---On one occasion, I read about a pilot on his last flight before retirement departing HNL at the controls of a DC-10. To celebrate his last flight, ATC cleared him for a "very low" departure from Rwy 8R. Basically that meant that he got to "buzz" Waikiki Beach. Some of the people in the high-rise hotels along the shore claimed that they were looking down on the plane. The captain got in trouble, but I guess you can't fire a guy who's retired. LOL.

--- On the 2 or 3 days a year when the weather's nice in central Alaska, I've heard of Alaskan Air pilots sometimes taking a few minutes to circle Denali and give the passengers an awesome view.

--- Finally, when I was working on the cargo ramp at GSO a few years ago, we were talking to the UPS 757 captain before he departed. We were sending him off empty and light, and there was a stiff breeze down the runway. We asked him how quick he could get it up, and he just said "just wait and see!" Well, we all lined up at the edge of the ramp as he taxied and waited for the show to begin.

I'd swear that he rotated in under 1000 feet of runway and had it up in the air before 1500. He was probably well over 3,000 ft agl before he even passed over the far end of the runway!

caboclo

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:31 pm

You jet drivers may laugh, but the Beech Baron is kind of fun. On an 8,000 foot runway, you can get it up to 150 KIAS in ground effect, and exceed 2,000 fpm climb rate for a few seconds. You can also turn final over the approach lights at 1,000 AGL and 150 KIAS and land on the 1,000 foot markers. I haven't had the privelege of flying the Cessna Caravan, but I've heard tell that the first notch of flaps comes down at VNE! In addition, the factory had to put out a notice concerning not going to reverse thrust while airborne, because it put's too much stress on the prop blades!! Like my signature says...
Freight dogs have more fun

AWspicious

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:41 pm

A few weeks ago a friend and I were spotting at YYZ. While listening to ATC a Jazz DASH8 landed on 23 and stopped short. As the DH8 was turning onto the very first taxiway ATC jokingly asked if they had just won a bet. The PNF laughed and said no, they were just trying to save some time.

One winter a few years ago when YYZ spotters could still access the Boeing parking lot, I climbed on top a fairly high snow pile to watch a BA 777 (with Netherlands world tail) taxiing for rnwy 23. The vantage point placed me above and in line with the nose of the aircraft as it taxied towards the runway. I wondered if the flight deck crew saw me because they turned off the nose gear lights leaving just the wing lights on. The 777 lined up on 23 and sat there for almost a minute. Then, with brakes on, the pilot spooled up the engines to take-off thrust, released the brakes and rocketed down the runway. That baby was airborne faster than I've ever seen a T7 take-off before. Even though it's highly unlikely, I told myself they must have put on that little display for my benefit. It sure made my night :-]

I'm willing to bet the crews on the last few Concorde flights must have had some fun. That spectacular take-off from JFK of the last AF Concorde flight comes to mind.
Hats off to the folks who work the friendly skies in order to get us back and forth to see friends, family, and business associates the world over. It's nice to know they sometimes enjoy their job as much as we enjoy seeing them doing it.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:39 pm

When still working at TXL years ago, I often hung out in the tower if there was no work to be done. One day I talked to an older French air traffic controller (TXL used to be the French military airport in West Berlin, and after the Allies left in 1994 many former French personel, often married to German women, stayed in their old positions, just like there are a lot of American ATC controlers in THF center).
This guy told me about a Dan Air B727-200 pilot. One day this pilot requested that he could leave the runway at the second taxiway exit after landing, just about 2500 feet. he got his clearance and got the bird off the runway at the second exit. A few days later he requested to get off the runway already at the first exit, and did the job again. A while later the ATC controller met the British pilot at a party and asked him why he wanted to leave the runway that early (mind with passengers on board). The pilot said that he used to be in the Royal NavyFleet air Arm flying carrierborne fighters and wanted to see if he still had his old skills.... I wonder how much brakes and tyres he used up....

Another story, this time of Lufthansa. Some years ago a LH 737 buzzed the airfield of the German Northsea island Helgoland (this airfield has only a very short runway, not good for a 737). Just for the entertainment of his passengers he came down from cruising altitude , buzzed the field and climbed up again. The bean counters in the accountancy department were not amused about the fuel burn. He got demoted to F/O.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

levent

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:26 pm

Once upon approaching Menorca with a Fokker 50, me sitting on the jumpseat, we were cleared for a visual approach and our cpt took as way down till 300ft to do some coastline sightseeing. The pax were thrilled and were filming away, and I could actually see the home owners along the cliffs looking in astonishment to us and some of them waiving. That was fun, until the controller, with a hearable smile on her face, said "I cleared you for a visual approach, not a fly-by, please climb..."  Smile

On another occassion, our Fokker 50´s coming from Santander and San Sebastián met up during the flight and more or less flew in a formation side by side to Barcelona. More a planned coincidence of course, but still fun.

I know of an ERJ145 captain working on a wet lease agreement in Cameroon, who after take-off made a low pass over the crew hotel. Someone of those crew members filmed it and unfortunately it got to management... needless to say, he isn´t an ERJ145 captain for that company anymore.

lamedianaranja

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:47 pm

KL's Piscadera Bay approach at CUR is (in)famous. The incoming flight always shows off to their mates taking sun at the crew hotel beach.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

cedarjet

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:27 pm

Typerated: please note the correct spelling of "factual". You may be right about the World's Fair, but something was happening in Seattle that drew a big crowd (IATA meeting?). The Braniff 707 that crashed was not attempting a barrel roll, they were training some first officers in the art of recovery from Ducth Roll, a side-to-side yawing motion common to first generation jetliners with swept wings. The engines (three of them) ripped off because of the excessive side-loadings. They weren't doing anything exotic, just a training mission during a delivery flight (a Pan Am 707 shed an engine during Dutch Roll exercises over France nearly suffered a similar fate, but control was restored and they limped over the Heathrow).
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

SAS-A321

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:38 pm

I heard about a pilot making a barrel roll in a Metro resulting in a bended fuselage.

Often I have seen Cimber Air doing low flying (1000ft) over the town Svendborg on their way from Copenhagen to Sonderborg. Must be a nice sight!
It's Scandinavian

vs773er

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:35 pm

Why is it whenever I stand in the cold at STN or LHR I never see a short take off roll or steap climb!!!!!!! (Winging neighbours I guess!)

Cheers guys.

Leskova

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:54 pm

I was in HAJ in the control tower during Cebit (the annual Computer/IT/Telecomms exhibition in Hannover), so it was quite busy outside - so one departing LH B737 pilot was joking around, saying that he'd vacate the runway as soon as possible by taking off very quickly... he was off the ground in no time.

This got the attention of the following plane, a DE B757-200, the pilot of which didn't want to be outdone by - his words - a "puny little 737", so, again his words, he wanted to show us what "a real aircraft" could do - and he sure did: someone above used the term "the plane went vertical"... and this B757 wasn't doing anything else... the fact that he only had to fly over to LEJ with about 40 pax on board probably didn't hurt the climb performance... but, man, that takeoff was impressive!

To this day, I'm still not sure whether I'm sorry that I wasn't on board that flight, or if I'm actually glad I wasn't... Big grin

And then there was my return flight from JNB through MUC to HAM, back when SAA still operated that flight: we were stuck in MUC for a few hours, because one of the engines had to be repaired, but when we finally took off, I found out just how much power those B747-200s have - there were only about 60-80 pax on board, not that much luggage, barely any cargo and only the fuel required to get the plane to HAM: by the time we passed the terminals (roughly halfway down the runway), we were already somewhere around 3000ft in the air...  Big thumbs up

Now, if I could only find my video camera, I could look at that takeoff again - because the crew had given me permission to use it during the whole flight, including takeoff and landing...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

jonty

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:21 pm

I'm not sure if the pilots were trying to enjoy themselves or if they just wanted to get into the su, but a few years ago on a Airtours charter from NCL to Fuerteventura our 757 touched down v. near the start of the runway and hard, they used full reverse thrust and made the first taxiway, the touchdown or reverse was so hard the cockpit door flew open, which was interesting! and im sure they were still braking around the corners.

On an easy jet flight from Madrid to Luton, it was realy bad weather, we could hardly see the edge of the runway once on the ground, so the pilot came over the intercom and said, the weathers pretty bad and I can't see anything so im just gonna sit back n see if the aeroplane will land it's self! My friend was scared of flying and sh*t her self when he said this. The landing was good though, once on the ground they used reverse thrust (still on as we pull off the runway) which threw up loads of water towards the windows, v cool!!!

Finnair MD-11

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:42 am

Hello!

I know that on one airline in the Northern Europe in the 70's when they operated with DC-9-10s there was few competitions between the pilots of this aircraft type. One was that the pilots tried to fly an (normally) one hour leg (can't remember where) faster than the other ones and one competition was that upon landing roll they tried to keep the nose wheel in the air longer than the other pilots... The record for the one hour leg was something like 25 minutes! What a rocket the DC-9-10 was Big grin

Merry Christmas!

-Finnair MD-11
MD-11

10mid

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:50 am

I was flying CO IAH-SFO one time and there was arrival flow into SFO. The Capt comes on and says that instead of holding, he has asked to go down low over Yosemite and he proceeded to give a tour of the Park with running commentary. A few months later I was jumpseating in a CO 737 and was told by one of the pilots about this guy. Apparently he does it everytime he goes to SFO.