ghsweusa

Recommended Connection Time At JFK

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:46 am

Hi
Im looking at flying BA to JFK and continuing with Jetblue. What is the shortest time I should have between arriving and departure of my next flight.
I would be arriving around noon.
I will most likely don't have any checked luggage.
Thanks in advance.
//Gunnar

mNeo

RE: Recommended Connection Time At JFK

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:12 am

i would say give yourself plenty of time. If you dont have a Green card there will be long lines for pictures and finger printing. i would say it takes about a good 1hour depending on howmany other BA/UA int. flight are arriving to clear cuztoms and immigration. then about 1.5 hours befor you chech in for jetblue. to be on the safe side go with 3 hours(weather delays, NYC winter) but if you want to risk it 2 hours my cut it
Powered by Maina

richardw

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 am

Consider a connecting flight on HP with a BA flight number, they share the same terminal at JFK, otherwise allow plenty of time and book your seat on BA nearest the exit door, run to get to the front of the immigation queue so you get through at a reasonable time.

Another thought is fly on BA to a BA gateway nearest your destination and make the last part of the journey by car, and on the return journey fly on B6 and BA via JFK, there are no immigartion queues when leaving the US.

AMS

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:09 am

Having worked myself at JFK, I would recommend at least 3 Hours.

Regards,
AMS

TonyBurr

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:43 pm

WIth the new train between terminals at JFK, tranfering has really been improved. They are great. I agree that 2 1/2 to 3 hours should be good. Of ocurse if you are delayed on BA ........

ghsweusa

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:16 pm

Thank you all for your help.

//Gunnar

richardw

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:27 pm

IMHO 3 hours isn't long enough.
There at least 3 significant risks.
The first is that your BA plane might be delayed arriving at JFK, this could be 1 hour, 2 hours, half an hour, who knows?
The second is you may be delayed at immigration, more likely if it is a BA B744, and thirdly if you miss your B6 flight it will cost $$$$ to get another.
Seriously consider buying a through ticket and having a B6 experience on your return journey.
I connected at JFK on AA in November, the experience was so bad that I have decided not to do it again, with or without checked luggage.

pmg1704

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:51 am

2 hours is fine especially w/out luggage. BA terminal is physically next to JetBlue. I would forget the train and walk if it's nice. It'll take 5-10 minutes once you leave customs, faster than the Airtrain. I've done it before.

LHSTR

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:01 am

Earlier this year, I waited almost two hours at US customs.
Having said this, I would at least allow 4 hours an international flight and a seperately booked domestic ticket.

The problem is that JetBlue has no responsibility to accept you if you are late for whatever reason.

rjpieces

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:32 am

If you have no bags, you can check in online with JetBlue. That way, once you clear customs you can hop on the Airtrain, take it one stop to terminal 6, and go right to security.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

richierich

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:32 am

Make sure you take the intraterminal AirTrain while connecting from BA (T7) to B6 (T6). This train car goes in a clockwise direction, opposite to the other trains. It could mean the difference between a 30 second train ride and a 5-8 minute ride.

Give it at least 3 hours. Keep in mind that you'd have to collect your bags upon leaving BA and then go check in at JetBlue. Time time time! Enjoy your trip!
None shall pass!!!!