texasflyer

Sound Inuslating Materials

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:31 am

I was wondering what materials are used in airliners to reduce the noise of the engines and other noises. I know in cars they use thicker glass, and insulation around the gaps in the body. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what is used in airiners, and how much is used. THANKS!
We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it. Thomas Jefferson

dan2002

RE: Sound Inuslating Materials

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:49 am

In planes, usually the outer windows is lexan glass. Which is pretty thick and heavy also. Im not sure thats the only sound-proofing material in aircraft, but one of the more major ones.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

texasflyer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:15 pm

What's the Lexan glass made of? And that can't be the only thing keeping those planes quiet. If I'm not mistaken I think the MD-90 is the quietest aircraft, let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks for the input.
We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it. Thomas Jefferson

dan2002

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 pm

Im not exactly sure, but its expensive, I have a 5 foot by 5 foot piece here, and its some strong, heavy glass.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

texasflyer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:22 pm

Just out of curiosity Dan2002, where did you get that glass? That'd be kind of cool to have.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos