jfidler

The Economics Of Air Traffic Control

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:48 am

Do governments (or airport authorities) get paid for providing air traffic control for civilian aircraft?

I know the destination and origin airports can recoup costs through the airport tax/landing fees. But what about when an airplane is passing through a third country? For example, let's say a plane is flying from the UK to the US, and passing through Canadian airspace along the way. Does that airline pay a fee to the Canadians for air traffic control services? Or do they intentionally fly just outside a country's airspace to avoid this? I'm sure the issue still arises in other areas, like flights across Europe that cross over "third" countries along the way.

LimaFoxTango

RE: The Economics Of Air Traffic Control

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:03 pm

I think in some countries there are "over-flight" fees. I think, but I stand corrected, any aircraft flying through Cuban airspace has to pay. I think the same goes for some middle east countries. However, in some cases, airlines would probably try and fly outside that country's airspace. I'll let someone else give you a better explanation.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

fxra

RE: The Economics Of Air Traffic Control

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:00 pm

MOst nations charge you to fly in their airspace. Its generally based on the mileage flown. I don't know the exact fees, but our flight planing system has the ability to calculate the costs of overflight versus ful costs of flying around. I saw our eurocontrol bill once for a year,... ouch! I don;t think the US charges overflight fees...anyone out there who work for non-US carriers know?? Theres also a 7.5% tax on tickets in the US to cover FAA ATC fees.. according to an article on CNN.com today ref ATC hiring.

Later
JD
Visualize Whirled Peas