skysurfer

Any Probs Spotting At ORD?

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:15 am

Hi everyone, i'll apologize now if this has been covered before but my search returned nothing.

On xmas eve i'm flying YOW - ORD - FAR (UAX) and have a 2 hour stay in Chicago to do some spotting and to log some numbers. What i was wondering is if anyone's had any problems with security, police etc whilst they've been spotting airside?? I've emailed the airport numerous times and have phoned them but they never replied to me.
Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

ordflyer

RE: Any Probs Spotting At ORD?

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:20 pm

Don't expect to hear back from the airport administrators...their attitude towards spotting is indifferent at best. Several people report having problems spotting at ORD, but I never have any trouble (knock on wood).
The actual police seem to have no problem with it, and in fact I have talked casually to two officers (one at ORD and one at MDW) who both said there are no rules/laws against spotting/photography of planes and they never try and stop anybody. One even suggested a few places to check out for the best view. Somebody may talk to you just to see what you are up to, but hopefully wouldn't bother you beyond that. If you feel you are being unfairly harassed you can ask to speak to a supervisor or something, but that will just take up more of your precious time. Worst case scenerio, its such a big airport that if somebody tells you to move along you can just head to a different terminal and/or concourse.
Good Luck!

leo777

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:32 pm

Best place to spot inside ORD is terminal 3 at the Delta terminal, you have a good view of the international terminal and the traffic crossing over the bridge. Other than that there are no good places to spot inside ORD at least not that I am aware of.
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

FriendlySkies

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:15 pm

As ORDFlyer stated, normal cops are fine. It's the blasted DoA (Dept. of Aviation) that gives us a hard time. Once they took my film and threatened to arrest me if I came back. I laugh at them, I wasn't on airport property and I wasn't breaking a law!  Laugh out loud

SLUAviator

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:33 pm

Those DOA cops are a joke. They are not there to protect the airport from terrorists and evil doers. They are there to give us airport workers tickets for not coming to a complete stop at stop signs painted on the ground.

You can spot on the either end of the C-Concourse, and around B-17 in T-1. Try F-12/14 in T-2. None are great, but they are ok. I am not to sure about places to spot in T-3 since I work for ZW and spend all my time in T-1 and T-2.

Your YOW-ORD leg will be on us, and your ORD-FAR leg will be on us or Skywest. Thanks in advance for flying on ZW, we do appreciate it. Hope you have a great trip!
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

Danny

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:38 pm

I have been spotting inside ORD terminals every time I travel via ORD and never had any problems. Opportunities are in every terminal.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Also make sure you get a window seat and take your time during looong taxi around ORD. This may be opportunity for interesting shots:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Have a nice trip!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos