CougarAviator
Topic Author

Which Is The Aircraft Bible?

Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:40 am

Which book out there, is the standard for aircraft types and info?

Which book gives the most info regarding all types of civil aircraft; mainly airliners?

Thanks!!
Failure is not an option.....

FlagshipAZ

RE: Which Is The Aircraft Bible?

Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:42 am

I consider the reference book "Jane's All The World's Aircraft" as the ultimate guide to any & all aircraft ever produced. I use this book as a benchmark which I measured other aircraft books against. Any large library probably carries at least 1 copy of the book. Just my 2 cents worth. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:49 am

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

Newark777

Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:51 am

I also consider the Jane books the essential reference books for all your airplane needs. They are extremely detailed and contain almost all the airplanes you can think of.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

DfwRevolution

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:03 am

Problem with books is the inevitably go out of date. There are solid reference sites online, both 3rd party and from the manufactures, that are always updated to stay current.

Newark777

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:21 am

There's also a smaller version with less info, but it's much more handy

And a lot cheaper.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jran225

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:30 am

Hey Cougar,

as everybody alrealy stated, Jane's is probably your best bet if you're looking for specs and that type of info. You might also want to look at the "real" spotters bible...JP Airline Fleets. This book is basically a directory of all current liscenced commercial aircraft....find registrations, aircraft histories (mfd, del, ex regs) and much more...I would be lost without it! Check out their site: http://www.buchairnet.com/

Regards,
-Omar S. Smile
Never tell your girlfriend about all the 'action' you're getting at the airport - only photogs understand that.

isitsafenow

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:38 am

Janes is the Bible but if you want to fine tune your airliner education, I suggest a Production book. This gives you the lowdown on EACH airliner from manufacture and deliver to initial carrier to who bought, sold, leased wrecked or parked in the desert to be beer-canned...even WHEN the plane WAS beer-canned.
Each to his own on airliner/Airline ed.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

m404

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:06 am

Now don't go telling him his favorite planes been Beer canned. That could cause serious psychological problems for prospective airline employees enjoyment of the blessed brew. It's not done. Acft have the wrong blends of metal for the brewskies
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding