flyibaby

US Airways Sickout Yesterday.

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:12 pm

Looks like the shoe finally dropped as word has it from the pilots that US flight attendants did a sick out in PHL and when word got to their ramp, they staged one too. I mainly know this because two of their 757s MCO-PHL apparently wound up timing out waiting for additional crewmembers and advising the passengers that the flight was cancelled due to legality and all passengers would need to deplane and claim their baggage at the carosel. Of all the days...a christmas holiday. I would say the proverbial tombstone is now written, if not already before.

zvezda

RE: US Airways Sickout Yesterday.

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:16 pm

The employees are driving nails into their own coffin.  Sad

ANCFlyer

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:16 pm

Bad call . . .

See why I wouldn't buy tix on US right now . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JetMechMD80

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Yep, and about this time next year when US Airways finally throws in the towel, they will be crying about the cold heartless company that threw them out into the streets at Christmas time.
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

NIKV69

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:24 pm

I wish this terrible airline would just GO! Do the right thing already! Instead of making pax lives miserable just fold. Do them and the industry a favor. US can't compete with any other airline and has the worst issues with capital and it's employees. Why fight this?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

glideslope

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm

Another good example why Unions Suck. Do they really think it's still 1974?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

flpuck6

Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:23 pm

I was looking for tickets for my family for travel to Florida next week and even though USAirways was the cheapest, I still didn't buy tickets on them, specifically for these kinds of circumstances.
Bonjour Chef!

SHUPirate1

Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:33 pm

That's disgraceful. You have an agreement in place with the company, and yet you still stage a sickout? Could somebody please throw Patricia Friend into a river?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

FLAIRPORT

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:07 am

I tell you whats terrible about this...not only was it a sickout (ok, I can understand the anger, so at certain times, a sickout could work)...BUT it's the Christmas holiday season, your flights are full! Plus, your still recovering from the winter storms, so everyones tempers are very high.

I can only imagine that family going to PHX to visit their grandma for the first time and spend Christmas with them...they don't buy a tree, and go to the airport, get on the plane, only to be told they have to go home and try again tomorrow.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

lnglive1011yyz

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:12 am

Merry Christmas to all!

Unfortunately, this is an example of SOME employees in a company who take matters into their own hands to rectify a situation that they cannot.

It makes THEM look bad.

I hope that when they start throwing the axe around again, the group of employees who first started this are the ones who go first.

Plain and simple. Enjoy the Unemployment line folks.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

SHUPirate1

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:13 am

Flairport-not really. I flew yesterday, and although my PBI-CLT flight was relatively close to full (after several cancellations out of PBI, including one to CLT and one to DCA), I can say that my CLT-LGA flight (a 319) was only about half-full, and many of those were Delta FIMs off of a series of cancelled CAE-LGA Comair flights (apparently every flight along the route has been cancelled since Thursday morning)

Bicoastal

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:17 am

Ok, to take a different perspective....not necessarily mine but we should give it a thought.....how about PASSENGERS showing the Xmas spirit and be willing to pay about $100 more for a ticket so that the airlines can pay a living wage to their employees??? Maybe even $50 a ticket would eliminate the need for pay and benefit cuts?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

luv2fly

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:21 am

How about this approach Bicoastal, airlines charging what they need to cover costs! No one ever said that they had to match the LCC's penny for penny! Also if the so called full service majors offer the exact same thing as a LCC's then why pay more for less.
You can cut the irony with a knife

hiflyer

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:30 am

Let alone the impact to the customers this had the impact to fellow employee's was as bad if not worse. Remember the future hub in FLL? One agent doing bag service on xmas eve and over 500 bags on the floor with about 40-50 pax in line to file for missing bags....while the 'sick' employee's were home.

ken4556

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:45 am

Bicoastal,

"Ok, to take a different perspective....not necessarily mine but we should give it a thought.....how about PASSENGERS showing the Xmas spirit and be willing to pay about $100 more for a ticket so that the airlines can pay a living wage to their employees??? Maybe even $50 a ticket would eliminate the need for pay and benefit cuts?"

You bring-up a good point, but if the airlines are willing to sell tickets below cost, why is it the consumers responsiblity to pay more then the airline is asking? At some point, the airlines have to raise prices to cover costs. Just like any other company, if they cannot change what the market will bear, then they need to go out of business. I believe one or two airlines need to shut down to get capacity down in order to let prices raise for the airlines to cover costs.

Merry Christmas all.

Ken4558

isitsafenow

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:57 am

Lets see....sell tickets(seats actually) just to cover costs...don't have to match the LLC. That's great except for one little thing. You are there to make a profit. You are there for investors....stockholders. If you stock is not a mover and you aren't making money, you dump the stock. Now where is any public corp going to be without stockholders? Extinct, that's where.

FUTUREFO..Please explain your post. Much on these threads are opinions.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

FutureFO

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:24 am

Its that if your pro-union or anti-union it really should not be stated so emphatically in the boards. I am stating my opinion as well.

Sean from MCO and MKE
I Don't know where I am anymore

mirrodie

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:30 am

Another one bites the dust.

Disgraceful on the part of US AIR. I dont care of hte ensuing evolution of hte conversation about oay benefits, etc.

THere is a time and place for everything and these people failed to acknowledge that.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Bicoastal

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:30 am

To continue the discussion, it seems that passengers are unwilling to pay more. The Internet has made comparison shopping so much easier and consumers are very price sensitive when buying airline tickets. So if an airline did decide to cover its costs with appropriate ticket prices, they'd likely be flying emptier aircraft and then having to charge even more to cover the costs of those empty seats. Look at the attempts to add a fuel surcharge, for example. Even a $5 or $10 difference seemed to turn passengers to lower priced competitors and the airlines that added the fee, then backed off.

I think the flying public neither cares nor is willing to show solidarity with the union folks at the airlines. Passengers are trying to stretch a buck, too, and need to make choices according to their own budgets.

Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

RDUDDJI

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:43 am

I had a friend traveling ILM-CLT-BDL on the 23rd. His CLT-BDL flt cxld due to what the agents told him was about a 200 flight attendant sick-out. He was re-routed to DCA, spent the night there...then had to fly DCA-PHL-BDL to finally get to BDL 20 hours later. Congratulations, he'll never fly USAir again.

Now I logon this morning and see a press release about how thousands of USAir pax are missing their bags and the FAA is to investigate. I guess the Ramp decided to join the sickout.

http://www.wral.com/travelgetaways/4024153/detail.html

Merry Christmas USAir employees. I would say I wish you all the best, but you're future is in your own hands. It appears you want your company to fail; so be it.

Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

BlatantEcho

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:54 am

what better way to draw attention to your plight than to do protest at peak travel. There are two sides to every story kids.

Managments job, if the airline is to survive, is to make cuts. Everywhere.

I think everyone understands that, and most workers have accepted that.
Obviously though, this simply highlights managment failure to align employee compensation to company results, etc etc.

Has managament taken a BIGGER % cut than the front line employees? It's not the dollar figure that's significant, it's the symbolism. Is the CEO on the front line talking to employees, showing how hard he's working for them?

Managment hasn't sold it's biggest asset, it's employees, on the plan they ALL need to follow to save the airline. Managment sets the tone in even the most dire circumstances. There is obvious failure here to do anything like that.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

AA717driver

Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:02 am

Nothing happens in a vaccum. The seeds of this sickout were planted years ago.

Yes, the FA's have an agreement. A CBA is in place and a T/A to amend the CBA has been reached by the union leadership.

The agreement the FA's have been working under has been under attack by management. Management will use every tactic and loophole to get around the CBA as they see fit.

Right now, unionized airline employees have their backs to the wall. Management has figured a way to circumvent the Railway Labor Act via the bankruptcy courts. No, an airline will not be put into bankruptcy ONLY to void the contracts, but the CBA's are a target of opportunity once a carrier is in Ch. 11.

As a former union airline employee, I understand the USAir employee's frustration. There is no way to win. Management keeps pricing their tickets lower than they cost and labor won't simply sign away contracts won over decades of legitimate negotiations. The reason they won't simply adopt JetBlue's or SWA's workrules is that they don't trust management to squander their contributions.

The unions are warranted in that belief. They watched Schofield pi$$ away money on mergers. They watched Stephen "Don't call me Steve" Wolf and "Gang-rape" get rich with the UAL merger Trojan Horse and now, the employees are expected to pay for it.

It may be the wrong way to go about it but it is certainly understandable.TC

P.S.--If you are on this board and bought a ticket on USAir this Holiday season or allowed friends or family to do so without warning them, you are culpable, too. There were plenty of signs. JMO.
FL450, M.85

aaflt1871

Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:34 am

"it seems that passengers are unwilling to pay more."

That is simply not the case, American has tried several times now to raise fares only to drop them back down when other legacy carriers do not follow. A fare hike straight across the board would help all airlines!! I would glady pay 20% more for the flights I have been taking to help the airlines stabilize themselves. If all airlines do it straight across the board, the penny pinching consumer will have no choice but to pay the increased fares.

As for US, with this latest sickout that was done yesterday, may they quickly go under. I will look forward to reading about their demise and the struggles the employees involved in yesterdays sickout have in finding another job. The fact is you are paid to do a job and you failed yesterday!! And do not think with the demise of US, that AA,DL,CO,UA and the others will jump at the chance to hire you as they will finally be able to bring their furloughed employees back.
Where did everybody go?

F9Animal

Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:39 am

I saw the news, and PHL is a disaster right now. The news said that cancelled flights have left luggage everywhere. The picture shown was absolutely sad. The whole baggage claim was covered in every square inch of bags. They were piled in moutains too. They said it was a result of the weather problems. Any US Airways employees sure this was a result of a sickout? I seriously doubt it was, but then again it might have.
I Am A Different Animal!!

greenguy01

Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:40 am

I was just watching MSNBC and they had on the news ticker that USAir is operation luggage only flights to CLT to get the misplaced luggage to the right destination. They are doing a FedEx style sort in CLT. What a mess!

If the employees of USAir really want their airline to survive, this is not a good way to do it. Think about all of the negative press that USAir is going to receive from this and all of the customers that they have potentially lost.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Av8trxx

Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:56 am

From USaviation.com-

"Just some claim numbers as of 10pm on Dec 24th. The first number is open claims and the second number is actual bags missing:
TPA 314/583
FLL 574/1183
MCO 491/993
DCA 244/388
BOS 433/743
CLT 412/674
PIT 401/625
PVD 368/602
ORF 276/485
PHL 739/1202
CLE 191/314
ORD 257/429
MIA 113/189
LAX 213/330
RDU 420/776
RIC 283/489
BDL 380/628
BUF 190/319
LGA 250/357
MSY 107/212

I think we just found out where our paycut is going to go. Minimum delivery charge in Tampa is $9 per bag ranging up to $150 or so to Gainesville or Naples areas. You do the math!"

supa7E7

Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:10 am

Is there any REAL info here???

The original post mentioned 2 flights that cancelled yesterday. US operates around 2,300 flights a day, so 2 flights is not uncommon (for any airline).

So what are the facts?

Merry Christmas.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

QuestAir

Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:27 am

On the one hand, I realize the fact that US employees want more pay, etc. But don't they see that these sickouts and such will be, overall, more detrimental?

I wish the employees of US best of luck in 2005.
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

supa7E7

Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:01 am

What is the source of the "sickout" rumor?

Is there a source? Or evidence?
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:13 am

Supa7E7,
Good point. I can only say what I saw here in MCO, however if there is positive news of a sick out, that would mean the Unions would be responsible for all the lost revenue involved, including all the baggage delivery charges. I can't remember what airline was involved in this like a year ago, but it was found that a union local had organized a sick out so the national union had to make up all lost revenue. Hope this helps.

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:17 am

The source is the greater orlando aviation authority when they were told by US Airways representatives.

hiflyer

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:06 am

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hundreds of US Airways employees called in sick yesterday and today, according to a local flight attendants representative, and 100 flights were canceled across US Airways' system yesterday, many of them due to crew shortages. Bad weather across the Northeast was also a factor in the cancellations, according to US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa, who said she does not believe the crew shortages were part of any organized effort on the part of labor, which is being asked to give up $1 billion in new concessions as part of the airline's survival plan. Teddy Xidas, local union representative for the flight attendants union, asked employees to volunteer their time to cover the shortages. "This is tough right now," she wrote, "sick calls are in the hundreds." The flight attendants are being asked to vote by Jan. 5 on a concessionary pact that would lower their pay 9 percent and reduce vacation time.

ANNOYEDFA

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:11 am

Well maybe they wanted to be home for the Holidays just like everyone else did. So they just called out. Airways is at minimum staffing for FAS and during X-mas of all times they should of been well over prepared. I guess sometimes minimum staffing isn't always the best thing huh......
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:25 am

Just found out from a US pilot that the sick action aka "Chaos Strike" whas actually approved by a judge; so apparently this is a legal work action.

hiflyer

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:28 am

Well if that is the case then we should arrange a meeting with Patricia Friend at AFA and Charles Bryan...ex EAL IAM. They can compare notes.... Smile

SHUPirate1

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:35 am

Flyibaby-You cannot tell me that they should be going on strike, or, if you will, performing CHAOS while they are in the process of VOTING ON A CONTRACT THEIR UNION REPRESENTATIVES AGREED TO!!! Sorry, but all I have to say to the CHAOS-creating flight attendants is cry me a river and drown in it.

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:42 am

SHUPirate1,
Just the messenger dude. I personally don't think it should be legal, but they did warn of this as far back as Thanksgiving. Trust me, I'm for doing the right thing, which is taking care of your passengers, not calling out sick for a principle reason of showing up your management. But nonetheless, you won't tell me that this wasn't organized to some degree. I dispute the weather issues all together because everyone was back up to speed yesterday. They didn't have to cancel over 100 flights the day before.

SHUPirate1

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:48 am

Flyibaby-I'm not sticking up for them at all, and I also would bet the last dollar I have that this was organized "self-help", if you will. Fortunately, I'm not overly upset, because my flight was cancelled because of crew rest relating to maintenence (although the computer insists it was ATC-related, which does tick me off a little), but whether or not it's legal, it's clearly unethical, and also totally stupid.

ANNOYEDFA

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:17 am

Strike, Strike Strike!!!!!  Laugh out loud  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:18 am

SHUPirate1,
Point taken and agreed. And your delay/cancellation tells me that they are playing with their DOT performance numbers from what should be controllable completion/OT performance to uncontrollable. Not only are the flight attendants doing wrong, but now the airline is lying in its statistics.

Tango-Bravo

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:44 am

The employees are driving nails into their own coffin.

So what? Assuming, for argument's sake, that this is true, what have they got left to lose? When a business such as US has stooped so low as to rob retirees (who retired years before US's first bankruptcy filing) of pensions they had already earned, then what is left to lose except for empty promises from management who has zero credibility?

And speaking of nails in the US coffin, management has outdone labor in this department by a ratio of somwhere around 100:1.

JetMechMD80

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:54 am

then what is left to lose except for empty promises from management who has zero credibility?

What little income they have left, maybe? But hey, its no problem, as great as the Industry is doing, there will be other Airlines lining up to hire them, right?
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

SWA TPA

Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:23 am

I heard via a US Airways ramper that they did the sick out because US Airways is threatening to bring in contract workers for all the ramp jobs except for 6 or 7 cities.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

RyanAFAMSP

Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:51 am

Again I don't see any info anywhere here that there was any sort of organized sickout. The only official comment reference on this entire thread was one local rep for USAirways AFA, but they likely were just reporting what numbers they had pulled up in the computer.

No, there has been no authorization for a strike. This sickout is not part of CHAOS if it even happened. Likely their system is all screwed up because the worst snow in a year hit the entire Ohio river valley. All the majors were a nightmare yesterday.

Yes USAirways is probably running pretty high sick pay numbers because the trips the crews have to fly under these torn up contracts are gruelling. If you fly them back to back it is really easy to get sick. The 16 hour day with the 8 hour layover is going to drive sick pay through the roof. This is why the airlines also forced through dramatic reductions in sick compensation. Overall it is a very ugly situation, and I want to commend every USAirways employee for getting through this.

Please folks check your sources before you make these posts. Saying "I know a gate agent who told a pilot that he heard from a supervisor that the flight attendants are doing CHAOS" is not credible. We all know how airline rumors go.

spinkid

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:12 am

News organizations are reporting a sick out yesterday in PHL, saying something like 240 workers were not present. Anyone in any industry can tell you that many people call out at once cuz they really are sick. I saw some really crazy pics of the baggage piled up in PHL.

RyanAFAMSP

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:19 am

Yeah I know there was a lot of baggage piled up, but there was a blizzard that wiped out the entire lower midwest. Everyone loves to accuse workers of work slow downs, but they need to be aware that massive snowstorms inconvenience passengers and cause a lot of late aiplanes and pax and bag misconnects. I just have a lot of trouble believing that this whole thing is because of being minus 240 on the headcount across the entire system, and has nothing to do with a foot of snow falling at a good chunk of major airports.

ODwyerPW

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:19 am

Fire them all. You don't stage a sick out on your company's busiest day. That's sabotaging your company and no way to behave. These aren't the middle ages where Frenchman and Frenchwoman had to throw their shoes into the machinery at the factories they worked in to get what they deserved. The times just aren't that desperate. This isn't the company loosing 'productivity' for the day. This is people loosing luggage, missing connect times, getting late to see family that they might have waited all year to see, etc...

Fire them all.
learning never stops.

m404

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:21 am

The USAir rep quoted in the article says they did not think this was an organized union action. We have to dilute that with the thought that if it was organized they would fear passengers would feel just what so many of you are saying.

This brings the next thought that if this was organized by a Company wide union why would they do it with a tentative agreement going on the table? If it was to protest the agreement why did they let it out for vote? A vote would have had the same result without the disruption and public ill will.

Following that logic we would have to ask this question. If it was a company wide union authorized/organized sick in then why did only 200 FAs do it?

The next assumption one could make from that was that this was a particular group that does not want this agreement to get voted on (see "insurgent"). A later study on the geographic home bases of where the majority of these particular FAs were will be made but probably never publicly released in a search for organizers.

One more idea should be explored but with the understanding that so many at this company are at their wits end with everything that's going on is this.

The weather is and has been terrible for the airlines. This dominoes like you would not believe within all the stations and all personnel. You would have to work there to even begin to understand this. The buildup of separated baggage off cancelled flights is mind boggling and takes days of dedicated and diligent effort to whittle down. That report above of the US bag reports is important and should give you a little view as it only from larger stations. Here is a clarification - The one number is the number of claims (sometimes that's Multiple bags) one passenger had filed with the carrier for a missing bag(s) and the other is the number of "Bags On Hand" that the station has been able to tally into the system that do not have a passenger to claim them. It's massive. Add to that the security rules that must be followed on these, the logistics of organization necessary to file these bags SO the when a report is filed they can be processed, the paperwork, the loading/unloading from hundreds of mixed carts in frozen conditions, and a dozen other problems takes manpower, willingness, and lots of organization to rally troops to the effort AND attend to the normal activity of day to day operations that they were "undermanned" for in the first place.

Now, add frustration, cold, long hours, to crews now illegal to fly due duty rigs and guess what - this happens.

Conclusion. This was not a system wide union authorized and organized action but, if anything, certainly could have been tipped by some hotheads that did call in sick.

It certainly is recognized that many a union threat of a strike has been made for a work action near the Holidays as a threat to management. Thats a well known and predictable tool. But it also must be known that a recent occurance that was noted here but as yet unproven of rampers just walking off the job at PHL to watch football IF if did occur and not the excuse of another class and craft union employee to a passenger could also have been either part of CHAOS or very local frustration and managment ineptitude to control it.

The report that this was being investigated by the government is extremly interesting due to its rarity. With USAirs rich abundance of high goverment official passenger roles it certainly would not be surprising however. Especially when you study who might be involved that has well know anti-union feelings from past airline experiance and the party in powers known attitide and measures against labor. Add that to what makes employees feel frustrated while your at it.

I for one will not pass judgement on anyone involved for awhile. More need to be known. What I want to have its a picture of all the possibilities before stones are used in slingshots aimed straight up.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

NIKV69

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:55 am

Don't these US employees realize that the only way for their airline to survive is to work for absolutely nothing? There is no other way, this is why I said US must fold. It's the best thing for everyone including the industry. All this bullshit just screws over the pax. Who should have their heads examined for booking US to begin with!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

flyibaby

Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:30 am

M404,
You make some very vaild points. I completely understand weather piling up. Anyone who has ever been involved in any aspect of a Chicago operation will atest to that. The coincidence is that A. It happened on Xmas Eve. You can argue the point that the weather might have played a small role. The problem with this is that the snow occured during the night/morning of the 22/23. By the 24 most crew legalities should have been cleared up as most other airlines were back to 100% normal ops. B. The fact that two seperate work groups were involved this time. 200 Flight Attendants and 150 Rampers all based out of PHL kinda smells fishy. 350 people stationed at one domocile is very rare, especially with no mention of the Pilots or CSA's being involved.

I worked at Midway in RDU when they faced the worst winter storm in three decades, and aren't prepared for winter weather to boot. Sure, we had planes stuck all throughout the system, passengers sleeping in the terminal until hotels and cabs could be secured, ramp equipment buried in snow, and more bags than we knew what to do with. This was a hub too. I understand and agree that sorting the bags and where they need to go after a customer files a PAWOB is tricky. However, the scale by which this happened is atrocious. The reason isn't they weren't staffed properly. The problem lies in the fact that 150 rampers all called in sick for work.

Either way, the goverment is stepping in again to find out exactly what happened, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it come against the Unions in the BK court, wether or not they were aware of this incident being planned.