junior1970

KLM In Japan

Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:43 am

Whatever happened to the KLM services to Nagoya and Sapporo in Japan ? Why were they cancelled ?
If my memory serves me right, these services didn't seem to last long. (Both no longer then 2 summers ?????).

KLM decided to focus on 2 big hubs, Tokyo and Osaka ?

AA B777-200

RE: KLM In Japan

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:35 pm

Junior 1970,

I know KLM was doing pretty well on the AMS-CTS-NGO flights, but since yields were low the first downsized the 747-400 to a MD11.
I think I read somewhere that KLM was only granted NGO rights if they served BOTH CTS and NGO and in the end that was NOT attractive.

They pulled out the 4 times weekly flight and decided to use the jets on more profitable routes.

KIX sees a daily 747-400 (mix of both -combi and -full pax) and so does NRT, where KLM flies a mix of 777s and 747s.
Since AF doens't fly to NGO either, maybe someday they will return.... Who can tell!

Trvlr

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:55 pm

It was pretty cool seeing a European carrier in CTS. NGO used to have fairly extensive European service, with BA, AF, KL, and LH. Lufthansa still operates to Frankfurt, and I think JAL might still fly to London.

I think it's quite possible we'll see one or two European carriers back to Nagoya once the new airport opens.

Aaron G.

AMS

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:44 pm

KIX is really working out for KLM. Also KLM makes a lot of money on the Combined Cargo Flights to KIX/NRT, Most of the time with very expensive Cargo

Regards,
AMS

Carpethead

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:12 pm

Firstly, current NGO only has a 2,740m runway which limits payload on those long trans-Siberian routes. CTS has a cooler climate and a 3,000m runway which allows a better payload capability, hence the routing via CTS.

Initially, the AMS-NGO was twice-weekly with 744/74E but increased to four-weekly M11 before being cancelled Jan. 2002.

With the new Centrair opening, KLM may return.

AA B777-200

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:32 pm

I'm still optimistic about NGO!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos