Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iowaman
Topic Author

UA To Start SFO-COS, LAX-RNO, MYR-ORD, MYR-IAD

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:13 am

Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Express to Offer New Nonstop Service to Three Popular Vacation Spots
Monday December 27, 3:05 pm ET
United Express Introduces Daily Service from United Hubs to Colorado Springs, Myrtle Beach and Reno

CHICAGO, Dec. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Beginning Feb. 15, 2005, United Express will launch daily nonstop service to three popular vacation destinations from its hub airports in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington Dulles. As part of the new service, United Express will introduce two daily nonstop flights between San Francisco and Colorado Springs, Colo., providing the only daily nonstop service in this market.
The new service also includes two daily nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Reno, Nev., a seasonal increase from weekend service; two daily nonstop flights between Chicago and Myrtle Beach, S.C.; and four daily nonstop flights between Washington Dulles and Myrtle Beach. All flights are open for sale. Colorado Springs is currently served by United and United Express from Denver, and served by United Express from Chicago and Los Angeles. Ted(SM) serves Reno from Denver, and United and United Express serve Reno from San Francisco.

"From southeastern beaches to western mountains, our new United Express service provides customers even more access to these top travel destinations," said Sean Donohue, vice president of Ted and United Express. "United and its Express carriers are committed to offering customers a nationwide flight network with connections to points around the globe."

United Express carrier SkyWest Airlines will operate flights between San Francisco and Colorado Springs, and flights between Los Angeles and Reno with 50-seat regional jets. United Express carrier Air Wisconsin will fly the Myrtle Beach routes also using the 50-seat regional jets.

Customers who book a paid, qualifying roundtrip flight through http://united.com by Dec. 31, 2005, can earn 1,000 bonus miles by booking their travel at http://united.com/onlinebooking . See terms and conditions below for additional details.

The United Express schedule for the new daily nonstop service is as follows:

Service between San Francisco and Colorado Springs
Origin Destination Departure Arrival
San Francisco Colorado Springs 11:00 a.m. 2:32 p.m.
San Francisco Colorado Springs 6:20 p.m. 9:52 p.m.
Colorado Springs San Francisco 7:44 a.m. 9:29 a.m.
Colorado Springs San Francisco 3:05 p.m. 4:50 p.m.

Service between Los Angeles and Reno
Los Angeles Reno 11:00 a.m. 12:25 p.m.
Los Angeles Reno 6:00 p.m. 7:23 p.m.
Reno Los Angeles 1:30 p.m. 2:57 p.m.
Reno Los Angeles 7:55 p.m. 9:19 p.m.

Service between Chicago and Myrtle Beach
Chicago Myrtle Beach 10:55 a.m. 2:08 p.m.
Chicago Myrtle Beach 6:10 p.m. 9:23 p.m.
Myrtle Beach Chicago 7:45 a.m. 9:05 a.m.
Myrtle Beach Chicago 2:38 p.m. 3:58 p.m.

Service between Washington Dulles and Myrtle Beach
Washington Dulles Myrtle Beach 8:22 a.m. 9:44 a.m.
Washington Dulles Myrtle Beach 12:30 p.m. 1:52 p.m.
Washington Dulles Myrtle Beach 5:00 p.m. 6:22 p.m.
Washington Dulles Myrtle Beach 9:35 p.m. 10:57 p.m.
Myrtle Beach Washington Dulles 6:15 a.m. 7:39 a.m.
Myrtle Beach Washington Dulles 10:15 a.m. 11:39 a.m.
Myrtle Beach Washington Dulles 2:35 p.m. 3:59 p.m.
Myrtle Beach Washington Dulles 7:05 p.m. 8:29 p.m.

About United

United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) is the world's second largest airline, operating more than 3,500 flights a day on United, United Express and Ted to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region and Europe, United is the largest international carrier based in the United States.* United is also a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to more than 700 destinations in more than 130 countries worldwide. United's nearly 62,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at http://united.com .

* Measured by revenue passenger miles as reported to the U.S. Department
of Transportation for 12 months ending June 2004, the most recent
comparison data available.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041227/cgm016_1.html

gigneil

RE: UA To Start SFO-COS, LAX-RNO, MYR-ORD, MYR-IAD

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:15 am

Sigh. I remember when UA flights COS-ORD were D10s and 757s.

N

FriendlySkies

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:18 am

I notice the Myrtle Beach flights operated by AWAC...does this mean they keep the contract? I mean, it's already expected they will, but does this provide any evidence?

Venezuela747

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:46 am

It's great to see COS is expaning. Hopefully AA returns service to LAX, or increases services to STL

planecrazy2

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:49 am

Having recently flown UA from LAX to RNO through SFO it's nice to see an increase in service, so a connection at SFO will not be necessary. I thought UA was a great airline, but sadly I would opt for Alaska to avoid the CRJ200. I would much rather be on an MD-80 direct than the RJ direct.

-Planecrazy2

hiflyer

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:20 am

"notice the Myrtle Beach flights operated by AWAC...does this mean they keep the contract?"

Nothing announced as yet but does seem to be a good sign for them...fingers crossed.

B757capt

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:44 am

I want to see how many golf bags they are going to get on that RJ. HAHA.

navairjax

Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:55 am

"notice the Myrtle Beach flights operated by AWAC...does this mean they keep the contract?"

not necessarily, earlier in the year ACA's name was listed for many UAX flights although they were being taken over or even had already been taken over by AWAC. I wouldn't speculate anything about the UAX contract until an official announcement is made.

United_fan

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:46 am

You'de think LAX-RNO would be with TED,like SFO flights are. Yeah,a CRJ won't hold too many golf bags. E-170 jet route ?  Smile  Smile

JoFMO

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:14 am

SFO-RNO is UnitedExpress. Only DEN-RNO is TED.

UALGSO

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:44 am

I thought this new service had been announced months ago. It was in a employee newsreal 2 to 3 months ago, I guess I just assumed it had gone public as well. Anyway good to see IAD-MYR service finally, I can see this route being upgraded to a BAE-146 or possibly mainline during the summer with increased frequency.

ual777contrail

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:09 am

Gigneil,
UAL *NEVER* ran a DC-10 to ORD. At least not in the last 11 years. We did run 727,57,37,19/20's but never the 10's

~~~It's great to see COS is expanding. Hopefully AA returns service to LAX

AA cant compete with UAX on this route. A guy who works for AA in COS said the MD-80's were never half full. Going up against 4 or sometimes 5 RJ's is tough.

~~~~~I thought this new service had been announced months ago

You are correct, this is old news. I didn't know about the RNO flight, but COS has known this, and been discussed on this forum for 2 or 3 Weeks now.

~~~~United Express to Offer New Nonstop Service to Three Popular Vacation Spots

Maybe for vacationers, but COS use to be huge with the ski areas, now they filter into DEN on cheaper fares. COS use to see pits of aircraft bulked out with snowboards/skis, NOT ANYMORE.

Either way, good news, and thanks IOWAMAN, for filling us in, always good news when UAL increases flights to smaller cities.

ual 777 contrail

airxliban

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:13 am

the LAX-RNO could be a good option for Tahoe bound travellers

United_fan

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 am

JoFMO,I stand corrected. Maybe LAX residents are more apt to go to LAS , while Bay Area residents like RNO .

Still,doubt you'll get too many golf bags in a CRJ200.

StevenUhl777

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:32 am

I distinctly recall UA ran a DC10 from SEA-DEN-COS, in the summer of '96, as I often loaded bags for that flight.

Good to see UAL finding profitable routes and using UAX and not mainline aircraft. In the coming months, any a/c that can fly at least 3 hours andis certified to fly overwater will be put on Caribbean/Mexican routes, not money-losing domestic routes.

SHUPirate1

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:05 pm

I'm not at all surprised about UA starting ORD-MYR service. I haven't looked at the comparative O&D numbers for the other three, however, I do know that Myrtle Beach is the largest O&D market from ORD that was not served nonstop on a daily basis. What I am surprised about, however, is the frequency for MYR-IAD versus MYR-ORD.

Here goes the O&D for these flights:

MYR-IAD 19 daily passengers
MYR-ORD 219 daily passengers
LAX-RNO 746 daily passengers, but WN runs this route 3x daily
SFO-COS 87 daily passengers

Cubsrule

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:04 pm

SHUPirate- The ORD-MYR route is likely highly seasonal, and 2x CRJ seems appropriate in February. I would imagine that it would be drastically upgraded, certainly to increased frequency and/or 146s or 170s and perhaps even to mainline in April or May. Keep in mind that the number you cite is a second or third quarter number (not sure which) and far higher than the traffic on the route in February.

SHUPirate1

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:07 pm

Cubsrule-The number I cite is the full year number, encompassing Q's 1, 2, 3, and 4

gigneil

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:13 pm

UAL *NEVER* ran a DC-10 to ORD. At least not in the last 11 years. We did run 727,57,37,19/20's but never the 10's

I have been on a D10 COS-ORD, as well as the above mentioned COS-DEN-SEA (haha, I had a "girlfriend" at the time that went to PLU).

Therefore, I am fairly sure you ran one. My grasp of the past is sometimes faulty, but I remember it pretty clearly.

N

Cubsrule

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:25 pm

SHUPirate- Sorry about the bad assumption. I would still argue that the O&D (and overall traffic) is much, much lower in February than at other times during the year.

[Edited 2004-12-28 06:30:55]

ual777contrail

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:03 pm

~~~~stevenuhl777, you said"as I often loaded bags for that flight."

When did you work for UAL? I would have remembered you.

And GIGNEIL, I don't know how to break it to you, UAL *never* ran a 10 to ORD via COS. We were only a parking lot for big planes because of WestPac, we would run 30,000 pounds of mail a night, but never to ORD.

Gigneil, find me a timetable of COS-ORD with a 10.

COS actually has 2 DC-10's at one time. A 3pm turn and one that overnighted. It would at one time go, COS-DEN-SFO-HNL.

And Steven, unless you were a tall lanky kid who only did it for the summer, and his dad was a pilot for UAL. I believe at the time his pops flew the 727.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

United_fan

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12 pm

I'm just wondering if they'll have trouble loading skis for Tahoe?

StevenUhl777

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:40 am

~~~~stevenuhl777, you said"as I often loaded bags for that flight."

When did you work for UAL? I would have remembered you.

I worked the summer of '96, from mid-May through Labor Day in SEA. I worked in air freight for a month, and then did mainly bagwell for the rest of the time.

I also worked the summer before, in the bagwell, at PDX.

And Steven, unless you were a tall lanky kid who only did it for the summer, and his dad was a pilot for UAL. I believe at the time his pops flew the 727.

Close....I'm not really tall, 5'10". My Dad did in fact work for UA at that time, but he was a lead mechanic in PDX, and worked on 727's there, among others.

ual777contrail

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:31 am

I thought you meant in COS you worked. UAL use to hire college kids for the summer, give them a few passes to fly around with. Thought maybe it was you. Smile

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

ORDZW

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:20 am

It is reassuring that the MYR flights are still AWAC. However, we have been scheduled for these flights since October (or before?), long before the bidding process began. I know that there has been availability for both the ORD and IAD routes since October, and they have always been AWAC flights.

Well, at least they haven't given the flights to someone else yet - but it is the airline industry - Anything can happen in 2 months!

Also, it would be great to see a 146 down to MYR, we could definitely cram a lot of golf clubs in those pits, especially the -300!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos