OPNLguy
Topic Author

Mike Boyd On USAirways Debacle And "Seth"

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:51 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

phatfarmlines

RE: Mike Boyd On USAirways Debacle And "Seth"

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:15 am

I had no idea US had such a marketing program going on (and I live in FL). I took a look around the web site and US definitely took some "Ted" cues from it. Poor Seth, I'm sure even he has to question if he will have a job in the future.

thegreatchecko

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:27 am

You know i thought Seth was someones pretty good attempt to parody US Airways.

I was wrong, its US Airway's attempt to parody themselves and what their passengers looked like after the baggage disaster and their resulting trip to the thrift store.....

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

OPNLguy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:31 am

Check out some of the pictures at the site...

They're painful to look at...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

starrion

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:50 am

Is the definition of a failed marketing plan is that it is one that no one has ever heard of? Never heard of Seth and I would rather keep it that way.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

thegreatchecko

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:51 am

http://www.gofaresguy.com/gallery/index.html#

I'm a fan of the one at the top right of the page. He's kinda scary.....
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

foxecho

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:57 am

man this is sad, "Seth's" a bean counter! Revenue recovery, the part on the Gotofares guy website that made me laugh my ass off was quote: " My previous jobs include news radio announcer and disc jockey."

too much

Andrew

[Edited 2004-12-28 00:01:24]
..uh, we'll need that to live......

legendDC9

Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:32 am

The real question needs to be "Where the hell is my bag, Seth?!"

cloudy

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:11 am

Some consultant must have told him that they look old and stodgy compared to the likes of Airtran and Southwest, and need a more "young and hip" image. They are dreadfully wrong in thinking that this looks young and hip, and even more wrong in thinking that many of those who actually spend money on air travel would be moved by such an image anyway.

Did the people who advised this get into consulting because they succeeded in the real world? My suspicion is that like many consultants, they could never make it in a real business. They either failed miserably or never tried. The only the way they could succeed is by scamming others into thinking that they know better. This may be true of Boyd group as well. Or it might not be.... I havn't seen their Resumes.

717-200

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Seth says "I'll be giving away more tickets real soon!" Yes tickets to
nowhere! This has got to be one of the worst attempts at pandering
to a certain demographic I have ever seen in the airline business, better
yet in any business period. This rivals the gimmictry that car dealers pull
in their marketing and advertising. How much money did US waste on this
loser? If USAirways makes it February it will be a miracle and a half!
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

lincoln

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:21 pm

Yow!

This has desperation written in large letters all over it. Why not just paint "Please, please, PLEASE fly us, we're BEGGING you!" on the outside of their aircraft? It also smacks of being a low-budget radio call in game ("Answer your phone with 'Seth, is that you calling about...'"?!?!?!)

IMHO, Cultivating this type of image will not help -- it would seem to appeal apeal to a very narrow market segment which isn't exactly well known for its deep pockets. And as one who is probably in that segment, I wouldn't even consider it. (Well, plus buying a ticket plated on 037 stock doesn't seem like a great investment right now anyways)...I like airlines I spend money with to have at least the appearance a modicum of professionalism. Even WN, whom I choose to avoid for other reasons is fairly successful at this. NW, DL, UA, AA all do quite well.

Why would I want to fly on an airline ("...the best airline around", gag, cough, choke, sputter) who is pushing Seth as their public image?

And I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the use of a Hummer as the GoFares vehicle. Perhaps US could save enough money on gas if they traded down to say a Prius to get themselves out of BK?*

Lincoln
* - Yes, I did mean that sarcastically.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

DfwRevolution

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:31 pm

I love this guy. I don't always agree with him, but he delivers his arguements with the perfect blend of Norm McDonald sarcasm and Dennis Miller haugtiness I only wish I had.

"Dig it, a tsunami just wiped out half of Southeast Asia, and the US Airways meltdown is running a close second as the top news story. Great work guys."

Man that's about as scathing as it gets. This guy is historically biased against US, but US is proving him right more and more.

masseybrown

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:16 pm

Seth ... well, he does have nice teeth.

AA717driver

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:24 pm

When I read "Seth", I thought Schofield had resurfaced to comment on the employees.

I can only lament the fact that I was wrong. This is like watching a train wreck. The sickout only affected paying customers. "Seth" is an affront to humanity. Insane TC
FL450, M.85

jacobin777

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:44 pm

yikes..i thought it was some joke............jeepers............  Sad
"Up the Irons!"

tsully

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:18 pm

That supposed aviation consulting group ("The Boyd Group" see link contained in original thread) is nothing but a bunch of hogwash. While I personally find US Air's Seth campaign pretty desperate and even repulsive, I don't think "The Boyd Group" knows their head from their tail. They sound like a bunch of amateur airline enthusiasts who thought they'd try their hand at consulting. What a joke!

I wasted about 5 minutes reading their never-ending rants...and then I realized that's all they have to offer...nothing constructive and nothing enlightening. Just a diatribe.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

qxq400

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:26 pm

For the most part I agree with who ever the Boyd group is. Lets face it US has gone from a strong East coast carrier to and absolute JOKE! As stated earlier "Like watching a train wreck".....very sad indeed.
Another area I agree with them on is the potential growth for feeder traffic that certain small communities provide. Here in Central Oregon my airline is running 10 flights per day.....ALL full most of the times oversold even. Legacy carriers that can take advantage of the opportunities of these smaller communities that LLC's can't will be the ones that survive.
Welcome baby Madison Renee

ANCFlyer

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:39 pm

Aa717driver This is like watching a train wreck

Yes it is, in ssssslllloooooowwww motion.  Nuts
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

coa764

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:58 pm

That supposed aviation consulting group ("The Boyd Group" see link contained in original thread) is nothing but a bunch of hogwash
Tsully

Diatribe, now that is a good word, how long have you been waiting to slide that in somewhere? Now before you go bashing a group you are unaware of you might do your homework. Watch the 55 min interview that was done with Michael Boyd on C-span, Washington Journal on 24 DEC. I have personally found that it is usually the amateur airline enthusiast college kids that don't know their head from their tail on these forums.
http://www.c-span.org/videoarchives.asp?CatCodePairs=Series,WJE
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

SHUPirate1

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:04 pm

"Legacy carriers that can take advantage of the opportunities of these smaller communities that LLC's (sic) can't will be the ones that survive."-Qxq400

In case you've forgotten, US Airways/US Airways Express is the only carrier at some three-dozen cities in their system. Plus, between 9/30/04 and 11/30/04, US Airways has improved their cash position by some 145 million dollars. Not this spate of problems that they've had will do them any good, but from a survival perspective, the fact that their cash position is improving is significant. US Airways does not have a crisis in their ability to turn a profit, in fact, US Airways is the only legacy carrier, if you will, to turn a quarterly profit since 9/11 (Q2 2004). The issue is that they are in an extremely dangerous cash position, and while the rampers/FA's idiocy here isn't going to help, at present, they aren't doing too badly.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

United_fan

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:18 pm

On a side note,please tell me they're kidding!!!!

New Job Openings In The Northwest. The top three TSA honchos at Spokane have resigned, under all sorts of allegations. At Medford, Oregon, it's been discovered that some TSA screeners have been packing heat at work - including during a Presidential visit to the airport. But not to worry, the TSA has the situation in hand. They fired the employees who reported the situation to management.

Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

qxq400

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:54 pm

For any aircarrier to take advantage of the opportunities were LLC's can't requires a responsible management group that can for see opportunities and take advantage of them. Just because you are the only game in town does not guarantee success. Demographics of the population, Geographic location to major airports close by also will effect the profitability of any service.
US Airways management,unforchantly have proven that they can do neither.

US Airways management had a GOLDEN opportunity to take advantage of this when they acquired PSA. Instead they just pulled completely out of the West coast esp California. That brought on WN,to the state and they DOMINATE interstate traffic.In turn that gives WN the war chest to take on US Airways in the East.

Instead of trying to develop a new business model they relied on and outdated model that has NEVER worked. Wage consessions has never and will never work to save and airline.There workers are not what put them on life support,management of US Airways did.

Welcome baby Madison Renee

whitehatter

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:01 am

This thread is hilarious. All the teenage armchair CEOs and high school marketing expert opinions have completely missed the point.

Seth isn't reminiscent of anything done by UniTED. It's different. It might be irritating (God knows he's no supermodel!) but it has some unique points.

1. Bold colours
2. Targetted (towrds specific locations and the younger demographic)
3. Low cost
4. No B list celebrity face paid to be the frontman
5. Gets the fare message across constantly

So it's a high-impact, low cost program to constantly shove the message of low fares which sticks in the mind. Good or bad, it makes an impression and it's all about LOW FARES. So the message gets imprinted.

If anything it's more related to the annoying antics of a certain Branson, with his low cost and high impact advertising strategy. Stelios at easyJet was also rather good at doing something similar when he opened up new bases at places like LPL.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Tango-Bravo

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:07 am

This thread is hilarious. All the teenage armchair CEOs and high school marketing expert opinions have completely missed the point.

Hmmmm... Michael Boyd a teenage armchair CEO who gives high school marketing expert opinions??? I don't think so.

While I do see much of Mr. Boyd's "expertise" as self-serving, he is spot-on in his prediction that Seth will do nothing to solve any of the issues which have brought US to the brink of extinction. If anything, the teenage armchair CEOs and high school marketing experts who might have devised the sheer nonsense known as Seth who will hasten the demise of US.

Low fare gimmickry which is largely smoke-and-mirrors is the last thing the legacies (such as US and UA) who are attempting to reinvent themselves as high cost, low wage airlines need. The message the legacies need to be conveying is realistic, consistent fares for the valuable service they provide -- and then having the discipline to follow through on this message. Thanks to the manner in which the legacies have attempted to shove the internet down the throats of consumers, any and all of the low fares they offer will be found without the help of a pathetic buffoon called Seth.

And, in closing, I'm sure (not!) that Seth will truly make a positive impression on the highly coveted business travelers US is attempting to attract and retain. Running a campaign through a doltish character like Seth, aimed at bus passengers (would be called trailer trash if the same pax were flying on WN) who will hopefully pack their planes, will no doubt be enthusiastically welcomed (not!) by the business travelers US depends upon to subsidize the madness of the masses packing the planes at loss-leader fares.

BIGBlack

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:27 am

You guys are wayyyy off

this outfit is totally pimp

Plus he has free swag?

That guy is the pimp of the year!

Someone special in the air

FLAIRPORT

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:53 am

Hold on here...appeal to the "younger demographic?" I am from the "younger demographic" and I know that myself and none of my friends would even go near this guy!

Well, at least they're not trying to be TED and call SETH their LCC and put his face on the tail..that would be scary!
Have to admit, nice Hummer! Where did they get that money?

Also, is Seth union? Maybe they can get him to run baggage...at least he won't go on a Sickout!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

slider

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:56 am

I would say that this was the brainchild of some pot-smoking moron, but that would be in insult to stoners everywhere.

Big grin

US Air is royally screwed. It's becoming (has become?) laughable in a macabre way...

PHLBOS

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:09 am

I just checked US Airways' website and found nothing about SETH; not even a small web-link line. Maybe that was intentional, if this is indeed true.

Will we start seeing some (perish the thought) SETH GoFares yellowbirds any time soon?  Laugh out loud
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ATWZW170

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:38 am

At least if you are going to do this and use a model, you could have found someone good looking...if that guy came up to me on the street I would think he was either trying to steal something from me or looking for a trick!  Laugh out loud
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

tsully

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:02 am

Coa764 wrote: Diatribe, now that is a good word, how long have you been waiting to slide that in somewhere? Now before you go bashing a group you are unaware of you might do your homework. Watch the 55 min interview that was done with Michael Boyd on C-span, Washington Journal on 24 DEC. I have personally found that it is usually the amateur airline enthusiast college kids that don't know their head from their tail on these forums.
http://www.c-span.org/videoarchives.asp?CatCodePairs=Series,WJE

That's funny, I thought I was the one with an airline pilot for a dad...who happens to know a helluva lot more about this industry than armchair a.net enthusiasts. Growing up in the commercial aviation world, I have lived and breathed this stuff without a choice all of my life. Guess what my family talks about over dinner...

As I said, the Boyd website looks like a joke. The poor quality of his site only lends to my speculation that he is a no-budget joker with a dream of making a living off of aviation consulting. Sadly for him, it is only hobbyists (and likely the ignorant media) that pay attention to his rants. I'd be very surprised (and even offer my apologies) if you can show me some big clients who subscribe to this guy's company. Again, I think you'll be hard pressed to show me any legit businesses that pay him for his "services".

And by the way, just because Michael Boyd was granted some exclusive interview on C-SPAN sure as heck doesn't legitimize him or his organization. Hell, Michael Jackson regularly does interviews on Dateline, Primetime and the like. Get my point? If you give credibility to people based on how much limelight they command, Jessica Simpson may as well join the commercial aviation commentary. I don't care that some producer at C-SPAN decided that they wanted to bring in Michael Boyd to commentate on the state of the aviation industry.

You can call me an ignorant college kid all you want. That's just fine. In many ways, I am green behind the ears. But ignorant of the commercial aviation industry I am not. Have fun sticking up for this joker, I will say no more to offend you, his loyal follower.

You have my challenge: give me five or more large organizations that pay the Boyd Group for its analysis and I will retract my comments. (Although my personal opinion that he is full of smoke will remain the same).
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

mariner

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:56 pm

Tsully:

I hate to burst your bubble, but Mike Boyd is an extremely respected aviation consultant.

Major press organizations seek his opinion regularly. I just did a Google News search and came up with many - here's just one:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041228/BIZ01/412280362

There are several other articles in other papers that quote him, just in the last twenty four hours.

The Boyd Group regularly hosts well-attended seminars about the aviation industry and Mr. Boyd himself has been or is on retainer to a number of airlines.

Is he express himself colorfully? Yes. Is he opinionated? Yes. Do I always agree with him? No.

But he is never dull, and often he is not wrong.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

DfwRevolution

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:09 pm

That's funny, I thought I was the one with an airline pilot for a dad...who happens to know a helluva lot more about this industry than armchair a.net enthusiasts

Ouch... that is the absolute worst card you can play.

The poor quality of his site only lends to my speculation that he is a no-budget joker with a dream of making a living off of aviation consulting.

Well you'd be wrong... take a look at some of his clientel...

You have my challenge: give me five or more large organizations that pay the Boyd Group for its analysis and I will retract my comments.

If you take a look around The Boyd Group's website, you will see their published case studies that sell for several hundred dollars a copy-

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc4.htm

You could also take a look at the services they offer-

http://www.boydforbes.com/services.htm

And some more of their published studies-

http://www.boydforbes.com/studies.htm

Oh and since you asked for specific customers, which they are not even obligated to provide given they are a private firm, here's a kicker- is the Embrare company good enough for you?

http://www.aviationplanning.com/EMB/EMBConfsum/sld001.htm

tsully

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:39 pm

My goodness people, take a look at the websites you keep referring me to before you link to them...

They look and read like they were created by a 15 year old!

For example: from http://www.boydforbes.com/services.htm

"If you as an airport operator are not confident in and happy with your security culture and your program, chances are high that it will fail you."

Can someone please help this man with his grammatical structure? It's killing me...Better yet, help him decide what he wants to say, and then rewrite the entire bloody sentence.

"Call BoydForbes, we will not exploit your discomfort; we do not support the fortress mentality, and we have a solution for your ailing program that will not break the bank."

Why should I call BoydForbes when it appears to me that they don't even have a budget for website development and/or professional editing?

"It is tempting to believe that regulatory compliance overwhelmingly dictates the strategic direction of American commercial airport security."

Come again?

You must admit, if this Boyd guy is for real, he sure doesn't give off a professional impression. I'm beginning to see similarities between his websites and Seth. He should be the last person to chide US Air's new marketing scheme.

I know the English language throws many people for a spin, but this is simply unacceptable coming from a supposed professional organization. I don't care if Mr. Boyd is a terrible writer...he had better hire someone to do the writing for him if he wants to convey a legitimate corporate impression.

[Edited 2004-12-29 08:41:39]

OPNLguy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:51 pm

>>>You must admit, if this Boyd guy is for real, he sure doesn't give off a professional impression.

Then again, neither do you, since you seem to be basing your opinions of Boyd and his work (which spans a time longer than you've been alive) based on your subjective opinions of what his website looks like.

I'm thrilled to death that your Dad is a pilot and all, but being "in the industry" as an employee dependent and being "in the industry" as an actual employee are two distinctly different things. Should you get to be an employee someday, you'll come to see this for yourself...

Happy New Year...

tsully

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:56 pm

Furthermore, whatever nugget of truth Mr. Boyd decides to write about is so overtly covered by opinionated diatribe that the reader looses all interest in the topic at hand. I'd rather read an editorial in the NY Times.

As someone said, Boyd is extremely opinionated. For that alone, I find no problem. I am quite opinionated myself, but I am not mixing my opinions with "research" and passing it off as professional advice.

I know professionalism and this guy is quite the antithesis. From his primitive websites to his horrendous grammar usage to his obnoxious marriage of fact and opinion, Mr. Boyd is a first class joker.

Whether he has anything worthwhile to say, I shall never know because I can't stand reading his meandering editorials.

coa764

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:23 pm

"Furthermore, whatever nugget of truth Mr. Boyd decides to write about is so overtly covered by opinionated diatribe that the reader looses all interest in the topic at hand. I'd rather read an editorial in the NY Times."

There it is again, you really do like that word!

The A-net forums are very outdated as a side by side comparison with other forum platforms would show yet you still seem to post here. Since you seem to base the reputation of a source off the look and feel of the their web site then the National Enquire or Weekly World News must be a reputable news source's since their sites are well done.
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/
http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/

The following is from a story about the Boyd group I have seen members from the group interviewed on Fox News, CNN, as well as other networks so they must all be fooled too. You know, you might call them and have those producers (even the C-span folks) check out the guys website so they can avoid having suck a low-budget hack on their programs.
(BTW - the C-span bit was a :55 min Call in segment)
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg32070.html
His clients have included small airports, airlines, unions and aircraft
manufacturers. Next month, his six-person aviation consulting firm, The Boyd
Group, will hold its ninth annual aviation forecast conference, bringing
together airline executives and analysts to discuss where the industry is
headed.
Boyd's research has covered issues ranging from aviation security to
regional jets. He says he has his sights on a new area of study: aviation in
China.

But hey, if you want to tell yourself the guy and his group are full of it then your choice, but remember when typing up your useless diatribe that unless you have a fancy website to back your dads aviation knowledge up then its just that.

[

[Edited 2004-12-29 14:39:57]
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

exFATboy

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:25 pm

I really don't think the "Seth" website/campaign is that bad of an idea - just a low-key, funny ongoing publicity stunt. It attracts a little attention to "GoFares" and won't turn off business travelers, since 90+% of them will never see or hear of it. Whether or not it's making any sort of difference, I have no idea...first I heard of it is in this thread (that's not a good sign.)

I find the Boyd Group site interesting and informative (and the snark is entertaining), but they're stretching it in combining their criticism of "Seth" (which is what, 1% of US' marketing? 2%? Can't be that much...) and the impact of the sickout.

slider

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:29 am

OK, we all agree that Seth is a moronic idea.

The opinions of Mike Boyd are far more diverse. I have to chime in.

Boyd is kind of like the crazy uncle everyone has at Christmastime....you know who I mean. The guy who pops off in mixed company and you have to shake your head but deep down you admire the guy for having the balls to just let it rip.

Boyd's a guy who will always offer his unvarnished opinion of things. And his consultancy and their analysis is far more professional and detailed than the exterior impression would lead one to believe. I think part of that is admittedly a shtick to draw attention, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I appreciate hearing the straight dope. I--like Boyd--am sick and tired of politics threatening aviation security and the airline industry, and I'm elated to finally have a voice--albeit a loud and sometimes pugnacious one--screaming at the top of his lungs that the emperor has no clothes.

I get in arguments with a couple of my OAL colleagues about Boyd infrequently. The funny thing is that when it comes to disputing his commentary, there isn't much factually to contradict him!

Tsully- You may not like him, and that's entirely your prerogative. But unlike you--many of us, including myself--have spent years, decades and our entire adult lives in this business and we see structural post-deregulation problems in not only the FAA, TSA, market dynamics, but also in how the media portrays things. Mike Boyd calls bullshit on these things consistently, and I for one am very grateful to have his voice given some credence.

I trust his judgement a hell of a lot more than I do the so-called experts who pontificate behind their bureaucratic, journalistic or intellectualistic ivory towers.

mariner

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:38 am

Tsully:

Gee, you're putting yourself out on a limb. Now you're an expert on writing style, too?

Okay, here we go. I make my living as a writer. I have received many awards for my work. I have a classical education, which includes the study of Latin and Greek, and I can speak/write several languages.

The misuse of grammar irritates me - there is a thread about it over on site-related - but I have never had a problem with Mr. Boyd's syntax or sentence structure.

He does often use an "American " style in some of his writing, but, (a) this is America, and (b) I can write in ebonics or 1920's Australian slang if I think it will have a greater effect.

Has it ever occurred to you that a good writer knows when to bend the rules - and why?

Frequently, I begin a sentence with "And" or "But" for which my English teachers would smack me upside the head, but I know when I am doing it and why.

You may disagree with Mr. Boyd but I find it extraordinary that you would be so impertinent as to dismiss his opinions out of hand when you say you have not read his opinions.

How can you possibly judge what you have not read?

Or are you simply voicing what you have heard from your father?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta