Norfolk Intl Airport (ORF)

Mon Mar 20, 2000 7:58 pm

I am working on a spring trip, and might end up in ORF for quite some time (upwards of 5 hours). Since ORF's website is down, I have been unable to get any information about the airport. Is it a "busy" airport (meaning will there be aircraft movements all day?)? I ask this because I would be coming in on a Jetstream 31 (from RDU) which makes me think that ORF might not be too busy. Any information? THANKS!!

--Jacob

flyCMH

RE: Norfolk Intl Airport (ORF)

Tue Mar 21, 2000 1:00 am

Actaully, ORF is a good sized airport, served by all major carriers, and USAirways also has a large presence there. The airport is made up of two concourses, one handles USAirways, and the other larger one handles the rest of the airlines. Examples of aircraft I saw were USAirways Fokker 100, and American MD-80.The airport terminal is somewhat old, and has small verticle windows. The ceiling is low, in the gate area, but the ticket area and waiting area before the security gates are more open. Being there for up to 5 hours shouldn't be that bad, it's not an extremely busy airport, but I think you'll see a decent amount of movement.

Lindy

Tue Mar 21, 2000 1:53 am

My sister was based there in mid 80's. She was FA with Eastern.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

bluemeatball

Tue Mar 21, 2000 11:12 am

The airport is also in the middle of a botanical garden. ORF is a typical mid-size airport with dawn to midnight operations. Flights are probably 50/50 full size/commuter. Like most cities of its size, flights are operated from ORF to hubs.